ADVERTISEMENT

Big Green

Aaron Perkins

Jan 9, 2006
Huntington
I know on Herdnation this is typically preaching to the choir as most of us are always doing things to help our program. Always giving to the Big Green, etc. This years Big Green Membership drive is different, it is an AND ONE campaign. Pretty simple. If you are a Big Green Member, then get someone else to sign up and you have a chance to win $1,000. If you are not a Big Green Member then sign up, and get someone else to do it and get a chance to win $1,000.

Pretty simple. There will be FIVE, one thousand dollar winners. If you click the link below you can see that not many people are stepping up at this point. With pushing 3,000 members, only NINETEEN have gotten someone to sign up.

Our new AD is big on fund raising, that is what our new President wanted, and that is what we need.

Can everyone on here please try and get someone to sign up.

You wanted something different. You wanted more BG members, and you wanted transparency. This is it!!!

Have fun, Happy Friday, and GO HERD!!!!! Only 11 days left of this contest!!!

I am sorry but this is a poor way to get members. You want to get members, than start with Marshall graduates living in the tristate area with a mailing. Add to this any past Big Green members, past athletes that has played at Marshall, and then add anyone working at Marshall. Yet the most important thing is getting an updated list of Marshall graduates and not a list of ten years or older. Use that $5000.00 smarterly and not just for a few people to sign 5 people.
One other point get the staff out in the Tristate area and call on businesses and ask to talk to their employees about joining and for each person that joins send them a correct size shirt with the Marshall logo on it on one side and the other side stating I am a pride member of the Big Green.
Quit spending money ridiculous and do something smart.

I am sorry but this is a poor way to get members. You want to get members, than start with Marshall graduates living in the tristate area with a mailing. Add to this any past Big Green members, past athletes that has played at Marshall, and then add anyone working at Marshall. Yet the most important thing is getting an updated list of Marshall graduates and not a list of ten years or older. Use that $5000.00 smarterly and not just for a few people to sign 5 people.
One other point get the staff out in the Tristate area and call on businesses and ask to talk to their employees about joining and for each person that joins send them a correct size shirt with the Marshall logo on it on one side and the other side stating I am a pride member of the Big Green.
75867e20a2e065c9ad6f3416c4ff15b1.gif

Well, the first "big" decision in the new Athletic Director's MU tenure to keep the "overwhelmingly" popular Head Basketball Coach for "at least" one more year has certainly gotten this "innovative" Big Green Membership campaign in 2022 off to a very "rousing" start, it appears!

Well, the whole season ticket debacle can never be fixed. I don't know how you can make that up to the loyal fans that got the royal Hamrick Rogering right up the five-hole... He's fighting an uphill battle. Our fanbase is so friggin' volatile right now, that it won't take much in going against the fans to become the next tick turd AD at Marshall. Quit the rah rah shite, clean house, and let's get down to business in this new conference and get the fan base back.

Pregame country music hoedown heehaw concerts and inflatable tunnels aren't going to cut it. That crap is as bad as DJ Turd Splat. He reminds me of that goober at Sharkey's in the mid-2000s that ran Karaoke.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
So,… back on topic

great chance to win a few bucks!!!

And great news!! For this that think that 5k should be spent differently, then get some people to sign up… win the contest…. Then… donate your winnings back!!!

Win…win… for everyone!!

Reactions: putnam green
I respectfully disagree on the mailer. Less than 4% respond by mail. The key will be for this staff to get aggressive on the road and on the phone. Maybe that is already happening. As the old saying goes you didn't propose to your wife on the phone and she did not say yes in a letter. People give to people. If someone agrees to take a lunch with a fundraiser they know what's coming and in their minds have already committed. When I used to fundraise we had mandatory visit quotas each month. You simply cannot do that job behind a desk. Again, this may already be in motion but we cannot build the Big Green through the mail.

So,… back on topic

great chance to win a few bucks!!!

And great news!! For this that think that 5k should be spent differently, then get some people to sign up… win the contest…. Then… donate your winnings back!!!

Win…win… for everyone!!
We all know regardless who signs up who, and how many, some big time booster will mysteriously win the money.

I respectfully disagree on the mailer. Less than 4% respond by mail. The key will be for this staff to get aggressive on the road and on the phone. Maybe that is already happening. As the old saying goes you didn't propose to your wife on the phone and she did not say yes in a letter. People give to people. If someone agrees to take a lunch with a fundraiser they know what's coming and in their minds have already committed. When I used to fundraise we had mandatory visit quotas each month. You simply cannot do that job behind a desk. Again, this may already be in motion but we cannot build the Big Green through the mail.
Marshall has to beat the bushes and have a presence everywhere. Festivals, a table at gane days - Handing out information.

Every student is automatically enrolled in the BG as a student member. Give them a discount Herd perks card and t shirt. They already pay $1000 in strident fees, take $25 of that and make them a BG member.
Maintain a connection and build a relationship. Marshall has always been piss poor at building a relationship with the students and connections. The student attendance at the football games the last few years is a testament to that.

Focus on the population who can give $100-$500 a year. Then grow that base over the next 10 years to increase donations. More small ball hitters out there than home run hitters.
But you are correct, they have to get out and work the people Sitting behind a desk sending emails and tweets won’t cut it.

I hope Spear can make changes in the BG at the top. We need it badly

Reactions: Marco93
I know on Herdnation this is typically preaching to the choir as most of us are always doing things to help our program. Always giving to the Big Green, etc. This years Big Green Membership drive is different, it is an AND ONE campaign. Pretty simple. If you are a Big Green Member, then get someone else to sign up and you have a chance to win $1,000. If you are not a Big Green Member then sign up, and get someone else to do it and get a chance to win $1,000.

Pretty simple. There will be FIVE, one thousand dollar winners. If you click the link below you can see that not many people are stepping up at this point. With pushing 3,000 members, only NINETEEN have gotten someone to sign up.

Our new AD is big on fund raising, that is what our new President wanted, and that is what we need.

Can everyone on here please try and get someone to sign up.

You wanted something different. You wanted more BG members, and you wanted transparency. This is it!!!

Have fun, Happy Friday, and GO HERD!!!!! Only 11 days left of this contest!!!

So we expect the fan base to build our donor club? Lol! That’s a cop out by Sutherland. We more change and it starts in the BG.
BTw, I had an uncle sign up last month.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
Every student is automatically enrolled in the BG as a student member. Give them a discount Herd perks card and t shirt. They already pay $1000 in strident fees, take $25 of that and make them a BG member.
Maintain a connection and build a relationship. Marshall has always been piss poor at building a relationship with the students and connections. The student attendance at the football games the last few years is a testament to that.
100%

So we expect the fan base to build our donor club? Lol! That’s a cop out by Sutherland. We more change and it starts in the BG.
BTw, I had an uncle sign up last month.

It’s OUR donor club. They have provided an incentive to help US grow OUR donor club.

The fact that you constantly make an issue with anything the big green does or doesn’t do is simply baffling.

I agree, I'm not sure I like this promotion.

You are asking for donations to win money?

If you have the 5k to give out, maybe you don't need the donations in the first place.

Would rather see something like.

New BG members get one year of ESPN+, or at least a premium membership here for a year. That way we can get information and/or watch the Herd for a calendar year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Pretty sure Perkins business put up the 5K and not the Big Green (If I am wrong Aaron can correct me). I commend Aaron for being a TRUE Marshall fan, but TWOLF is right. It should not be Aaron leading the charge, it should be Sutherland. He needs to either hire people to hit the roads, or get his hiney out there if we can't afford it.

Well, the first "big" decision in the new Athletic Director's MU tenure to keep the "overwhelmingly" popular Head Basketball Coach for "at least" one more year has certainly gotten this "innovative" Big Green Membership campaign in 2022 off to a very "rousing" start, it appears!
So this board demands an AD be more creative and less like the usual...
Then out of touch folks like you, complain and mock an AD, who is being more creative...
About right for this collective.

Well, the whole season ticket debacle can never be fixed. I don't know how you can make that up to the loyal fans that got the royal Hamrick Rogering right up the five-hole... He's fighting an uphill battle. Our fanbase is so friggin' volatile right now, that it won't take much in going against the fans to become the next tick turd AD at Marshall. Quit the rah rah shite, clean house, and let's get down to business in this new conference and get the fan base back.

Pregame country music hoedown heehaw concerts and inflatable tunnels aren't going to cut it. That crap is as bad as DJ Turd Splat. He reminds me of that goober at Sharkey's in the mid-2000s that ran Karaoke.
Bwahahaha you're just a weak minded little turd.
Get over that stupid re-seating stuff, it was years ago, if the so called "loyal" fans are still mad, then they can piss up a rope and die.
You make all this sound so simple and it isn't.
The complaints against an AD who has proven track records of fundraising and all, when said moron fans complain about lack of funds, amoubt of donors, and overall reach of the program is just proof the fans deserve all they get.

All little people like you could do, is complain about Hamrick and distancing MU from him...yet, here is a new AD and you're still bringing up Hamrick.

Mailings will work if you have an updated information and not outdated information. The information on the mailings is the most important and should be on a post card type product. Phones work some times, but today most people look to see who is calling and they fail to answer.
I think if we could get a group of past Big Green members to gather and find out why they won't join together than that would answer a lot of questions. I know of at least 20 members in this area fail to rejoin because who Holiday Hamrick and and Sutherland. One of the question on the card what would it take for you to join and why are you not a member.
It's time for change in this department and for us to truly get back to being one of the we are Marshall people.

It’s OUR donor club. They have provided an incentive to help US grow OUR donor club.

The fact that you constantly make an issue with anything the big green does or doesn’t do is simply baffling.
I want someone to work hard for new members. Someone to have a presence at local functions. Someone that uses all media to communicate, not just emails and tweets. I find it baffling that some like you are perfectly fine with the way things are. We’ve had 3K members for almost 2 decades and you don’t see an issue with it?

Obviously those golf tournaments and lunches aren’t getting it done with the masses. There is huge communication problem with the BG. Sorry those close to their BG buddies can’t see that.

Frankly, I will be disappointed if Spears doesn’t see this and make changes. Hire a professional, not a former women’s coach who slid in there with no qualifications whatsoever.
We have 110K living alumni, not to mention all the former athletes, fans, season tix buyers etc. and to have only 3K is shameful.

I know, it’s the fans fault. Lol!

Pretty sure Perkins business put up the 5K and not the Big Green (If I am wrong Aaron can correct me). I commend Aaron for being a TRUE Marshall fan, but TWOLF is right. It should not be Aaron leading the charge, it should be Sutherland. He needs to either hire people to hit the roads, or get his hiney out there if we can't afford it.
Thank you . That’s exactly what I am saying. I appreciate Aaron’s support but this should be on the BG, not he or anyone else.

Bwahahaha you're just a weak minded little turd.
Get over that stupid re-seating stuff, it was years ago, if the so called "loyal" fans are still mad, then they can piss up a rope and die.
You make all this sound so simple and it isn't.
The complaints against an AD who has proven track records of fundraising and all, when said moron fans complain about lack of funds, amoubt of donors, and overall reach of the program is just proof the fans deserve all they get.

All little people like you could do, is complain about Hamrick and distancing MU from him...yet, here is a new AD and you're still bringing up Hamrick.
I love everything Marshall does. It’s perfect. The GD fans are just too stupid to see it. MH sitteth at the right hand of God almighty.

Thank you . That’s exactly what I am saying. I appreciate Aaron’s support but this should be on the BG, not he or anyone else.

Disagree. This is our program. Not the Big Greens. Their job is to get people motivated to get more people to sign up. This year it was this. They did a great job motivating me to do something like this.

The reason why we only have 3,000 is people find ways to complain about literally everything.

This thread is mind numbingly annoying and the exact reason why nothing can grow here.

Many of you guys push back against everything.

Go find someone to sign up. Dont do it for the money, do it because that is the way WE GROW.

Disagree. This is our program. Not the Big Greens. Their job is to get people motivated to get more people to sign up. This year it was this. They did a great job motivating me to do something like this.

The reason why we only have 3,000 is people find ways to complain about literally everything.

This thread is mind numbingly annoying and the exact reason why nothing can grow here.

Go find someone to sign up. Dont do it for the money, do it because that is the way WE GROW.
I signed up my uncle last month when the campaign started. He is an alum, jschool HOF member and lives in FL.

So we have people complaining about an easy way to grow the Big Green. Tilhis wont be the only way but geez….if all BG members would add just one….just ONE new member we double our membership. So in reality everybody wont do it so let’s say half do work it out and add ONE member. That is better than before.

this is a simple way to try and grow membership while starting a new program from the BG.

for those that complain and think it is easy to fundraise then you should easily jump on board and easily add a new member. Give it a try and report back.

So we have people complaining about an easy way to grow the Big Green. Tilhis wont be the only way but geez….if all BG members would add just one….just ONE new member we double our membership. So in reality everybody wont do it so let’s say half do work it out and add ONE member. That is better than before.

this is a simple way to try and grow membership while starting a new program from the BG.

for those that complain and think it is easy to fundraise then you should easily jump on board and easily add a new member. Give it a try and report back.
I appreciate what you do and all the efforts you put in, but shaming the fan base isn’t gonna get it done. Seems like we would have learned that by now.
Let’s just keep the same people in charge and doing the same things - and we’ll be having these same type threads 10 years from now.

Sorry dude, but who is shaming what? And is it really shaming a fan base to act them to donate and these are the types of replies we get. And its a chance to donate, grow the program the allegedly love, AND win money.

There is only one thing wrong with your statement, i will let you figure out which word it was

And is it really shaming a fan base to act them to donate and these are the types of replies we get
That time you called some of the fanbase red neck son of britches and told them you hoped they never shadow the entry halls of the stadium seems to have come back to haunt you. karma

I appreciate what you do and all the efforts you put in, but shaming the fan base isn’t gonna get it done. Seems like we would have learned that by now.
Let’s just keep the same people in charge and doing the same things - and we’ll be having these same type threads 10 years from now.
Thank you for your comment.

it isn’t shaming. Just saying BG members can help. We are all a part of the Big Green!!! Why not help? I don’t think anybody asked anybody to raise a bunch of money. Asking for one new member by current members is all and having a chance to win money in return. We are an extension of the BG and should want to help as much as possible.

The unfortunate thing is we have very little staff currently. That will change though as more employees are coming which will help. If we can help in some way it is a positive.

I understand what you are saying, but respectfully disagree on the Big Green's main purpose. We do not need two alumni associations. We need aggressive fundraisers. What you are calling on BG members to do I also expect from our staff. Get on the road, get people motivated, get people signed up. If someone is already signed up cultivate them to the next level. That is the name of the game. I will agree it is a team effort and the BG staff cannot do this alone.

I understand what you are saying, but respectfully disagree on the Big Green's main purpose. We do not need two alumni associations. We need aggressive fundraisers. What you are calling on BG members to do I also expect from our staff. Get on the road, get people motivated, get people signed up. If someone is already signed up cultivate them to the next level. That is the name of the game. I will agree it is a team effort and the BG staff cannot do this alone.
So let’s do it. We have 9 days left. Can we all try to get this up to 100?

This thread is proof that irregardless of who the AD, BG leadership is…some fans will find reasons to do nothing but bitch, moan and take zero responsibility in THEIR membership.
I am sure this was directed at me. That’s cool. Been a BG member since 1989, donated to the Vision and Herd Rises. Not a super fan and not a huge donor like some. Just tired of the fan shaming and blaming Fans when the status quo seems to be alive and well in the Schewey. The BG hasn’t grown in decades yet that is the fans fault? Ok.

Just tired of the fan shaming and blaming Fans when the status quo seems to be alive and well in the Schewey. The BG hasn’t grown in decades yet that is the fans fault
Who was blaming fans? I read a poster promoting the growth of BG and several others bitching and moaning about what is NOT being done. How is the program encouraging you or anyone else to get another fan to sign up “blaming you”?

Here is a suggestion. I don't know who is in charge of the alumni group of the Tristate area, but send out a welcome card for a town meeting to all Marshall alumni or others to attend a special meeting. Five (5) people will have a chance to win a set of football of basketball tickets. The discussion will be how to improve the Big Green and get people to join and donate.
Let us all put on our thinking caps and come up with ideas. Don't talk about it do something now!

One thing that would help with Big Green membership would be for them to man a table/booth at all of the home football and basketball games. Have a large selection of shirts available to provide new members for signing up and paying the minimum $60 to join. When other fans see their friends in new Big Greem member shirts at the game - they will want one also (human nature).

Even better - your spouse will want one also - which will require the donation to be larger (at least $100-125 or more) to be entitled to receive 2 shirts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT