ADVERTISEMENT

Big Win Over a P6 Team

The American has the highest average attendances after week 4 of all G5 schools. There are six schools in the conference averaging over 30,000. The conference is behind the ACC in average attendance. Sixth place out of all the conferences. Where should they be? What does Memphis draw in basketball? The last time I looked that's a major sport. What does Uconn draw in basketball? All major sports....these are considered when you look at the overall health of an athletic department. Most of the schools in the MAC, CUSA and Sun Belt would come up way short on a head to head competition with every sport sponsored in the American Conference.
the problem you have is twofold.
#1- C-USA and MAC is not whayt you measure this silly P6 against. You measure against The Big 10/ Pac 12 etc LOL. Ohio State avg over 100,000 game a few more than 1 game of 48,000 at MSU. Heck Marshall can get over 40,000 out for a game like that.
#2- The P5 elites have no desire to let you into the party. Not going to happen no matter how loud you cry.

Reactions: pdbailey
An imaginary rivalry invented by a former UConn coach.

CQzm50bW8AAH-k7.png:large
:eek:

Reactions: The Real SamC
In summation, it was a nice win and a good time was had by all. UC fans (none surly) had vacated the stadium by the start of the fourth quarter -- much like our WKU game last year.

Before the game, Henry Hammond and I met Josh Stowers (made an introduction with) and his buddies down at The Yard House, near Great American Ballpark. Both of us were unaware that we had crossed paths the previous week. He is not nearly as big as horse's hind end as I thought he would be...Ha! Just teasing, Josh; you are doing a good job.

As for Cincinnati, we have them coming to Huntington, but I would love to see the series continue. I would also like to keep them on the schedule in basketball, as well as some kind of rotation with Xavier and maybe Dayton. Of course they are all going to have to come to Huntington too. We are so close and it's such an easy drive for everybody involved. The Queen City is a fun town and we have such traditional sports ties to it: Humphreys Southside Pharmacy (long closed) was a Reds ticket outlet.

Reactions: ToesMU
I think the fact that the entire G5 got passed over by the Big 12 shows there really is no interest in expanding...or that expanding is not worth it because the available schools don't bring enough to the table.

In summation, it was a nice win and a good time was had by all. UC fans (none surly) had vacated the stadium by the start of the fourth quarter -- much like our WKU game last year.

Before the game, Henry Hammond and I met Josh Stowers (made an introduction with) and his buddies down at The Yard House, near Great American Ballpark. Both of us were unaware that we had crossed paths the previous week. He is not nearly as big as horse's hind end as I thought he would be...Ha! Just teasing, Josh; you are doing a good job.

As for Cincinnati, we have them coming to Huntington, but I would love to see the series continue. I would also like to keep them on the schedule in basketball, as well as some kind of rotation with Xavier and maybe Dayton. Of course they are all going to have to come to Huntington too. We are so close and it's such an easy drive for everybody involved. The Queen City is a fun town and we have such traditional sports ties to it: Humphreys Southside Pharmacy (long closed) was a Reds ticket outlet.

Southside Pharmacy, those were the days Tim, those were the days. Great little drugstore.

I don't think a lot of Herd fans care what is better for the program, they look at the prestige. I, along with a lot of those I tailgate with, want what would be more enjoyable football. I LOVED the MAC and while I understand our move to CUSA at the time, nowadays it's unbearable. Not to mention we now get as much (or less) TV time as we did ten years ago. Moving to AAC is pretty much a lateral move in my opinion because in 5 years the AAC will be the same as CUSA, whatever that looks like. So if we make that move- fine, it's indifferent. I'd rather go back to the MAC and be able to go to road game and have local rivalries. We would still be able to get NCst and Cincy in that conference, and we would have a much more enjoyable season.

Money you say? What money

This is pretty accurate. We all know something big is going to happen to college football, meaning, there's very likely a shift with the ultra elites becoming their own conference/league and leaving about 90% of the rest.

I mean, the MAC, AAC, and others will have the ESPN TV deal, which, if ESPN is losing money and sponsorship, then it's likely to head south VERY quickly as far as payouts go. They may give someone like the MAC or AAC more money, but force them to play on a weeknight where the gate is terrible and nobody goes to the game and honestly, it's not as prime time as one would want to think. It's almost a lose/lose situation for them since they'll get a million or two more than what we get, but lose that amount in gate due to their schedule of being on TV on a Wednesday night.

C-USA had the rotten luck of not only having a lack of forward thinking people but also being the first to have to renew a TV contract...which is basically a foreshadowing of what everyone else is going to expect...unless you're a good P5, then you have noting to worry about.

Hahaha! Thanks @Tim Hensley.

It was great to put a face with the name.

This is pretty accurate. We all know something big is going to happen to college football, meaning, there's very likely a shift with the ultra elites becoming their own conference/league and leaving about 90% of the rest.

I mean, the MAC, AAC, and others will have the ESPN TV deal, which, if ESPN is losing money and sponsorship, then it's likely to head south VERY quickly as far as payouts go. They may give someone like the MAC or AAC more money, but force them to play on a weeknight where the gate is terrible and nobody goes to the game and honestly, it's not as prime time as one would want to think. It's almost a lose/lose situation for them since they'll get a million or two more than what we get, but lose that amount in gate due to their schedule of being on TV on a Wednesday night.

C-USA had the rotten luck of not only having a lack of forward thinking people but also being the first to have to renew a TV contract...which is basically a foreshadowing of what everyone else is going to expect...unless you're a good P5, then you have noting to worry about.

Ive always felt CUSA was sabotaged from within starting with Bankowsky turning down ESPNs media deal in 2010 which I believe was a 10 year deal with each team bringing in about $2M per year.

Then the lack of forward thinking when the Big East Split. If it was me, I would have sent out open invites to UCONN, USF, and Cincy and said come join CUSA free of charge. I would have gave Temple the same deal and invited Army AND Navy on football only deal. CUSA would have been an 18 team football and a 16 team basketball conference.

Imagine CUSA looking like this

CUSA East
Marshall, Cincy, UCONN, Navy, Temple, ECU, USF, UCF, Army

CUSA West
UAB, Southern Miss, Tulane, Memphis, SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Rice, UTEP/Louisiana Tech

You play your 8 division mates and no crossover games. If anything I would have pushed UTEP to go to the Mountain West and brought in Louisiana Tech in the west.

NOBODY would be complaining and it would have definitely been a Power 6 conference.

Reactions: pdbailey
a lateral transfer to it.

No matter how many times you attempt that lie, it doesn't make it true.

The AAC is better financially for their programs, better off the field in all areas, better on the field, and better in reputation.

So, how is it a lateral move with all of those things being better in the AAC?

still a better conference

A month ago, you claimed that the AAC wasn't better off the field and proved they couldn't compete on the field with C-USA. Now, you're claiming the completely opposite?

NOBODY would be complaining and it would have definitely been a Power 6 conference.

Wait: you claim the AAC isn't a P6 (which I agree with). You then make a league full of AAC schools, add teams from an inferior conference (C-USA), and then claim this new AAC with inferior programs suddenly makes it a P6?

Overall, C-USA is far closer to the Sun Belt than it is to the AAC.

If anyone questions AAC schools being far superior academically to C-USA schools, just look at this thread for proof.

A month ago the season didnt start and the AAC has a pretty good overall record.

And also instead of just showing up so only bicker with the posters you dont like, how about joining in the discussion. Its why it is hilarious when you cry to the mods about people do it to you.

How is that season going?

Ive always felt CUSA was sabotaged from within starting with Bankowsky turning down ESPNs media deal in 2010 which I believe was a 10 year deal with each team bringing in about $2M per year.

Then the lack of forward thinking when the Big East Split. If it was me, I would have sent out open invites to UCONN, USF, and Cincy and said come join CUSA free of charge. I would have gave Temple the same deal and invited Army AND Navy on football only deal. CUSA would have been an 18 team football and a 16 team basketball conference.

CUSA East

CUSA West
UAB, Southern Miss, Tulane, Memphis, SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Rice, UTEP/Louisiana Tech

You play your 8 division mates and no crossover games. If anything I would have pushed UTEP to go to the Mountain West and brought in Louisiana Tech in the west.

There is zero chance Army and Navy would have joined.

If the American called and said we want Marshall, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and WKU to all join, you would jump at that chance in a heartbeat. Stop fooling yourself.
depends on the money and can you take props. The last I heard American would not allow props and the budgets of those other schools are way way higher then Marshall's.

depends on the money and can you take props. The last I heard American would not allow props and the budgets of those other schools are way way higher then Marshall's.

Oh please. It wouldn't depend on anything. Like it or not Herd fans care WAY more about prestige than they do money/longevity of the program. Heck a lot of fan bases are the same. And in a time of uncertainly of the NCAA, who knows what the best move is anyway

A month ago the season didnt start and the AAC has a pretty good overall record.

So, you ignored five years of results in making your comment a month ago, but now one month has entirely shifted your opinion instead of five years of results? Brilliant!

Admit it- your previous opinion was based on nothing factual and was wrong.

Its why it is hilarious when you cry to the mods about people do it to you.

Mocking you on here for your obsession isn't crying to the mods.

How is that season going?

It's great. We are right on schedule with where we planned to be at this point. In week 1, my position unit had a player named as conference player of the week. In week 2, my special teams unit had a player named as conference player of the week.

How is your fourth job search in a year going? Are you still begging for an entry-level job in your thirties?

CUSA East

CUSA West

Yep. Why he went with CSTV is beyond me. Anyone in the business knew that was a terribly shortsighted move. As our esteemed former AD, KO Marcum would say, they went for the fast nickel, rather than the slow dime and it killed this league.

Personally, I think the AAC P6 campaign is brilliant. Do I think the American is a P6 conference? No. But what exactly is a P6 conference? Isn't it really just about perception? If you can get enough people talking about it, if you can get enough ESPN chatter about it, if you can get a few random references from some P5 coaches...well, you just might, over time, change the perception. Again, brilliant campaign.

Reactions: WV_Celt
Saying stupid s*** is not "brilliant". There is a line between hype (Coke is the Real Thing) and f***tardism (Coke will raise the dead). Saying something so f***tarded that no thinking person can ACTUALLY BELIEVE just alienates people with IQs in the three digits.

But, everyone is right. Another "great realignment" is coming. There will eventually be four "major" conferences and several of the "grandfathered" teams that have never accomplished diddly in football will be left behind in the second division, whatever they call it. This includes CUSA, the AAC, and most, or all of, of the Little 8, along with schools like Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, and so on. The TV deals run out eventually.

Saying stupid s*** is not "brilliant". There is a line between hype (Coke is the Real Thing) and f***tardism (Coke will raise the dead). Saying something so f***tarded that no thinking person can ACTUALLY BELIEVE just alienates people with IQs in the three digits.

But, everyone is right. Another "great realignment" is coming. There will eventually be four "major" conferences and several of the "grandfathered" teams that have never accomplished diddly in football will be left behind in the second division, whatever they call it. This includes CUSA, the AAC, and most, or all of, of the Little 8, along with schools like Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, and so on. The TV deals run out eventually.

The thing is that I don't ACTUALLY have to BELIEVE it for it to work. If I've learned anything over the past ten years is one should never underestimate the stupidity of the general public. "Thinking" people are not the issue here; they are commonly outnumbered, outshouted, and out-maneuvered by the herd-like masses. That is why I think the campaign is brilliant. It doesn't have to be true, based on facts, or even remotely believable to be effective. All they need now is a catchy tune and a celebrity endorsement.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Sam I don't there is any chance in a realignment any current P5 teams get left behind. If this was going to happen it already would have.

My opinion is they keep the current P5s and to make the conferences even bring up a few G5's (like maybe the service academies) and BYU for football only membership. They will also force Notre Dame to join a conference.

The G5s will then have to decide do they want to keep playing in a bowl system without playing a P5 or have their own national championship tournament similar to the former IAA.

Oh please. It wouldn't depend on anything. Like it or not Herd fans care WAY more about prestige than they do money/longevity of the program. Heck a lot of fan bases are the same. And in a time of uncertainly of the NCAA, who knows what the best move is anyway
What the fans and administration care about are two different then because I know for a fact the prop issue is a concern for Doc and Hamrick.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
I got a little off subject, giddy over the game, meeting Josh and good time we had, in that last post. Unless we can take Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, WKU, MTSU and UAB with us, I'm for staying put in C-USA.

The only one in the AAC that I miss is ECU and they have fallen on hard times. They should have stayed with us.

I am -- under no circumstances -- sanctioning a return to the MAC. You'll forever be relegated to the back pages or the peach section of the TOLEDO BLADE. We have no fan base in that part of the country!. Bus league. Those desirable Ohio and Michigan schools will never break out of there -- been together (most of them) since the 1930's. Northern Illinois (on account of the proximity to Chicago) is the only one I'd want.

What I'd like to see is an amalgamation of the AAC and what was discussed above. That way they could break into northern and southern divisions and THEN lobby for what would become a P-6.

Let those Texas schools go to the Mountain West and the Sun Belt suck up what is left. Even now, there is no way that C-USA should be headquartered in Dallas. The commish is a weak sister and she will never move us forward as things stand now.

Aresco.....he has several schools with athletic budgets larger than the lower tier P5 schools. If you look at the Directors Cup ratings his schools are light years ahead of any other G5 conference schools. He has the best schools from each state that are non-P5. He's a leader for the conference.....what should he do? Sit on his ass and do nothing. At least he's at the plate swinging for the fence.

Nah, he should be gutted with the rest of you traitors from CUSA and the MWC that stabbed us all in the back when our commissioners were working on the alliance deal between the MWC and CUSA that would have lead to an AQ spot. We had a chance to kill the Big east and raid them to strengthen CUSA and the MWC and you guys took a payoff to the Big East. You guys screwed us and helped put us in the situation we're in so to Hell with all of you.

Either you are in middle school, or your obsessions with schools outside of CUSA prevents your head from rational thinking. Your AD said on several occasions that he did not want to be part of The American Conference because his coaches did not have the money or resources to be competitive. His words. Any school in the Sun Belt, CUSA and a few in the MAC.....that had the money and given the invitation would join The American Conference. The basketball alone would be a major improvement. The minor sports would be levels above those conferences. No P5 school is getting left out of any impending realignment. If there ever is one. I've finally figured you out on that one. You constantly beat that dead horse because WVU is so far up your a** that when you open your mouth wide you can see the flying WV in the back of your throat. Sorry, Sammy My Boy but the P5's ain't kicking out a bunch of schools to join you in your misery. Maybe CUSA could give you the job as commissioner and you could right the ship and torpedo the AMERICAN! Keep posting and throwing out the bullsh**. It's good for laugh at least.

Last edited:
Either you are in middle school, or your obsessions with schools outside of CUSA prevents your head from rational thinking. Your AD said on several occasions that he did not want to be part of The American Conference because his coaches did not have the money or resources to be competitive. His words. Any school in the Sun Belt, CUSA and a few in the MAC.....that had the money and given the invitation would join The American Conference. The basketball alone would be a major improvement. The minor sports would be levels above those conferences. No P5 school is getting left out of any impending realignment. If there ever is one. I've finally figured you out on that one. You constantly beat that dead horse because WVU is so far up your a** that when you open your mouth wide you can see the flying WV in the back of your throat. Sorry, Sammy My Boy but the P5's ain't kicking out a bunch of schools to join you in your misery. Maybe CUSA could give you the job as commissioner and you could right the ship and torpedo the AMERICAN! Keep posting and throwing out the bullsh**. It's good for laugh at least.

Okay, where did our AD actually say that? As far as I know, nothing has ever been said about Marshall and the AAC.

Basketball an improvement? Probably. But we're talking about football.

Actually, there is talk that many P5 schools would be left behind. Many scenarios from sports writers put multiple 'new' conferences that do not include lower tier P5 schools.
Much of the amount of money is generated by the same 16 or so ones anyway...with several middle of the pack and lower tier ones not making a profit...thus, losing money to begin with.
Hell, Maryland and Rutgers are struggling. Rutgers just cut 6 sports before they joined.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...d-college-football-realignment-look-like-nfl/

You really think someone like East Carolina or UCF who was literally invented...is going to have more to offer? Ha! Nope.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.time...media-rights-bubble-college-sports?source=dam

Face it, if the AAC were ever to be a P6 program, it would have been. But the conference is dead weight to the P5. Its lesser of a dead weight when compared to other G5's but still, dead weight.

The fact that a marquee team like ECU or Temple or hell, Cincy, getting whipped on TV is helping?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT