ADVERTISEMENT

Birdsong Gone

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
just announced on WSAZ that Herd QB Michael Birdsong has left the program. Wish him the best.

Hate to see him go, he gave his all in the Purdue win and who knows what could have happened if his arm stays healthy. Reminds me of Stan Hill, all the talent in the world and then knee bump in the end zone and fate takes a bad turn.

I hope the best for him, and say Thank You Michael Birdsong, you're a class act, and gave it your all.

Reactions: Herd In the Plains
So how do bigger programs keep their backups?? 1st Fro then Bird. How do big time programs who have backups that could play immediately on just about any team in the country keep their players happy?

How is this possible with all "depth and talent" Doc recruits that we essentially have no backup QB?

How is this possible with all "depth and talent" Doc recruits that we essentially have no backup QB?

Really good question and if you consider the number of Marshall QBs that have transferred there in lies your answer. I remember when Zban was coming down from Ohio State to play at a "lower level" yet I think he remained 3rd team even behind Larry Harris? Or was he 2nd then got hurt and finally we drug a skinny as a rail Chad P off the bench?

The quality of the reserve Marshall QB is thus so high that his chances of playing at another school are high if he transfers. I don't blame Birdsong one bit, a guy wants to show his talents.

We have in the house a true freshman QB from South Georgia and another QB too. I hope Chase stays healthy , but it did appear he can take a hit or two as was witnessed in the WKY tilt. O Line should be one of our best ever, my take Chase should be fine....we hope.

Reactions: Herd In the Plains
So how do bigger programs keep their backups?? 1st Fro then Bird. How do big time programs who have backups that could play immediately on just about any team in the country keep their players happy?
Texas A&M had two transfer that had had playing time.

We also have an almost 6'7 220 lb QB that can throw the ball 70 yards reporting as a preferred walk-on next month too.

If I am a recruit, and see how Litton played his freshman year to secure the starting spot for the foreseeable future, why would I commit to Marshall in 2016? At best, the guy redshirts his freshman year and then only gets to start for two seasons once Litton graduates. Recruits want to do what Litton did. Show up freshman year and take over the position. It is possible that over a 8 year time span, we will have had basically only two full-time starting QBs (not counting Birdsong against Purdue). Cato starting all 4 years probably hurt us along the way in recruiting as well, and we lost Froh who would have been a great QB here....but he was already behind an all time Marshall great statistically. The Morrell kid coming in the fall looks to fit the similar mold of Chase. Big tall kid with a strong arm. Redshirt him for the 2016 season and then hope/pray he sticks around to take over the team after Chase graduates.

If I am a recruit, and see how Litton played his freshman year to secure the starting spot for the foreseeable future, why would I commit to Marshall in 2016? At best, the guy redshirts his freshman year and then only gets to start for two seasons once Litton graduates. Recruits want to do what Litton did. Show up freshman year and take over the position. It is possible that over a 8 year time span, we will have had basically only two full-time starting QBs (not counting Birdsong against Purdue). Cato starting all 4 years probably hurt us along the way in recruiting as well, and we lost Froh who would have been a great QB here....but he was already behind an all time Marshall great statistically. The Morrell kid coming in the fall looks to fit the similar mold of Chase. Big tall kid with a strong arm. Redshirt him for the 2016 season and then hope/pray he sticks around to take over the team after Chase graduates.

Whether or not Morrell stays will all come down to how good Gaines and whoever we sign in the 2017 class turns out to be.

That's the key to building depth at the QB position.

It's not the guy currently running things that scares off newbies. It's the guys in the same class or one class behind who are obviously better that makes them leave.

Happened with Sullivan (Cato). Happened with Froh (Cato). Happened with Gunnar (Litton). Happened with Birdsong (Litton).

The only outliers were Kevin Anderson and Cole Garvin and by all accounts, they simply appeared to be recruiting misses - especially Garvin. Kevin Anderson actually had a very good year in 2015 for Fordham.

If Garet is good enough to be the man here, two years as the starter should be enough incentive to stay.

Reactions: HerdMan13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT