ADVERTISEMENT

Boise State #27 in Coaches Poll:

Jeremybozz

Silver Buffalo
Oct 6, 2006
Should be ranked when the Herd face them in week 2 if they can get past Florida State.

I hope Fl St pounds them. The last thing we need is for them to come into that game with a big win under the belt.

I hope Fl St pounds them. The last thing we need is for them to come into that game with a big win under the belt.

It’s far better for Marshall if Boise comes in with a win against FSU. Beating another G5 that just lost to FSU does nothing. Beating a G5 that just beat a P5, especially if FSU does well the rest of the season, is noteworthy.

It’s far better for Marshall if Boise comes in with a win against FSU. Beating another G5 that just lost to FSU does nothing. Beating a G5 that just beat a P5, especially if FSU does well the rest of the season, is noteworthy.
sure I get your point. I think we are an underdog in this game and I was speaking to momentum and confidence. This is one game I don't think we will win unless we get a few breaks. All the other games on the schedule are winnable IMO

Don't try and explain that logic. Some of these guys already are hoping like hell we win the conference championship so we can play the MAC champion in a bowl game. We gotta maintain that Notre Dame of the G5 status.

Don't try and explain that logic. Some of these guys already are hoping like hell we win the conference championship so we can play the MAC champion in a bowl game. We gotta maintain that Notre Dame of the G5 status.

So now winning the conference championship and playing in a G5-level bowl game is somehow underachieving?

So now winning the conference championship and playing in a G5-level bowl game is somehow underachieving?

Let's try and keep the expectations somewhat reasonable. Marshall's won the conference 11% of the time Doc has been here. Now that Charlotte and ODU have had some years to actually build their program at the FBS level, and now that all of those Sun Belt behemoth programs have been given time to adjust to the lower level of C-USA play, things will continue being harder for the Herd.

Let's try and keep the expectations somewhat reasonable. Marshall's won the conference 11% of the time Doc has been here. Now that Charlotte and ODU have had some years to actually build their program at the FBS level, and now that all of those Sun Belt behemoth programs have been given time to adjust to the lower level of C-USA play, things will continue being harder for the Herd.

I don’t disagree, but that’s not what he said. He suggested (sarcastically) that doing those two things is underachieving.

Well, when achieving the highest level that can be achieved, save the once-in-a-lifetme access bowl perfect storm is "underachieving" the clearest and only conclusion to be made is that Marshall sports are just not for the poster, and I certainly hope he can find something that will fill his Saturdays. Wal-Mart fandom of whoever awaits.

Well, when achieving the highest level that can be achieved, save the once-in-a-lifetme access bowl perfect storm is "underachieving" the clearest and only conclusion to be made is that Marshall sports are just not for the poster, and I certainly hope he can find something that will fill his Saturdays. Wal-Mart fandom of whoever awaits.

(Insert the basketball team): Well, when achieving the highest level that can be achieved, save the once in a lifetime "anything can happen" NCAA tourney appearance perfect storm is "underachieving" the clearest and only conclusion to be made is that Marshall sports are just not for The Real Sam C, and I certainly hope he can find something that will fill his Saturdays. Wal-Mart fandom of whoever awaits.

It cuts both ways...………

W-S CBA

(Insert the basketball team): Well, when achieving the highest level that can be achieved, save the once in a lifetime "anything can happen" NCAA tourney appearance perfect storm is "underachieving" the clearest and only conclusion to be made is that Marshall sports are just not for The Real Sam C, and I certainly hope he can find something that will fill his Saturdays. Wal-Mart fandom of whoever awaits.

It cuts both ways...………

W-S CBA

giphy.gif

Charlotte:
2-10
4-8
1-11
5-7

ODU:
6-6
5-7
10-3
5-7
4-8

Yes, Charlotte is as good as it ever has been last year after getting the chance to build their program and have a suitable, though still sub-par, facility.

ODU now has had a chance to build their program to have a real FBS stadium and legitimate facilities instead of what they've had to use their first handful of years.

You realize "building a program" refers to far more than just looking at a single year's record, right? No? Well, glad I could help educate you.

Hardly. Learn math. Access bowl slots? One. One out of 60. A perfect storm, requiring a team to go undefeated and hope no one with a better schedule does. Once in a lifetime.

NCAA tournament bids for CUSA? One. One out of 14. All you have to do is beat 13 other teams, a third of which make a nominal effort at basketball. So one out of 8? MU should be in the NCAAs or NITs at LEAST three out of four years.

If only the access bowl will satisfy you, MU football is not for you. If you do not consider a bowl game to be something, this just is not your thing. Move on.

If you think that it is OK to make the NCAA tournament ONCE in the adult lifetime of anyone under 50, then you will settle for anything. That is fine. Being a no expectations, whatever happens is fine, I demand nothing fan is fine. Such fans help teams, be they college or pro, through the hard times.

Some of us demand more. Which is why we have great pride in our football team, and worry about the gross under-achievement that is, and has been for 30 years, MU basketball.

Reactions: herd66
Underachieving? Nah not this scenario. However only winning 1 conference title with one of or the top ranked recruiting class since 2010 is the definition of underachieving in this conference.

I don't think it's underachieving either, but the poster insinuated that it would be.

I was questioning him, not agreeing.

But not winning it certainly is with our talent (on paper)

So, you expect to win, every year? Currently Clemson is on a four year streak in the ACC with four other teams having won it in the last 10 years; Outlaw State has won the last two in the Big 10 also with four other teams having won in the last 10 years; Alabama has "only" won four of the last five in the SEC, again with four other teams having won in recent times; Washington has won two out of three in the Pac 12, again with four other recent winners. In the G5, six different teams have won the MAC in recent times; the MWC has had three different champions in four years, with the vaunted Boise State winning it once in that time. The only team that seems to be dominant enough for you is Oklahoma, at four in a row and nine out of the last 12, but that isn't a real league, just 2 teams.

Calling not winning the championship every year, "underachievement" is not realistic.

Think Doc should hire Saban or Dabo as assistants if they continue to underahcieve?

Reactions: herd66
Actually, winning CUSA is underachieving.

According to the people on here, when MU wins it, it is not because MU is good but "because they played nobody."
People will immediately dismiss the wins as anything positive and spend more energy on why MU shouldn't have won the games they did.
Then huff and puff about how "if MU were in a better conference they'd be lucky to be .500" and then somehow dismiss a bowl win against a bowl eligible team from...well...a better conference.

I never said anything about winning the conference being "underachieving" you dolt.

My problem is with fans thinking the notion of playing the MAC in our post season bowl that year was a good decision when we could have played a B1G team and likely mopped the field with them.

Reactions: Herdsavedme
According to the people on here, when MU wins it, it is not because MU is good but "because they played nobody."

You are a homer. There's nothing wrong with that, but it clouds your judgement, and, in your eyes, Doc Holliday can do no wrong. Proof is in the pudding. How many years has he been our HC? How many conference championships do we have? There's no argument for anyone who will look at this without extreme bias.

I never said anything about winning the conference being "underachieving" you dolt.

My problem is with fans thinking the notion of playing the MAC in our post season bowl that year was a good decision when we could have played a B1G team and likely mopped the field with them.

Guess I read this wrong then.....

Some of these guys already are hoping like hell we win the conference championship so we can play the MAC champion in a bowl game

Reactions: The Real SamC
I would just like to say it is worth (imo) noting that we currently have a couple of threads going about the upcoming b-ball season. Most years thosedon't start until October!

Also: With 20 wins in the 19-20 season, Dan D'Antoni will move into the #3 slot for all-time wins at MU. He will pass Huck the next season for #2 behind The Old Man. I wouldn't exactly call THAT directionless...…...

Last edited:

I agree with you on this black. Anytime you can play a Big 10 school in a bowl over MAC you do it IMO. Yes even if the MAC school is the better of the two like NIU that year.

Hardly. Learn math. Access bowl slots? One. One out of 60. A perfect storm, requiring a team to go undefeated and hope no one with a better schedule does. Once in a lifetime.

NCAA tournament bids for CUSA? One. One out of 14. All you have to do is beat 13 other teams, a third of which make a nominal effort at basketball. So one out of 8? MU should be in the NCAAs or NITs at LEAST three out of four years.

If only the access bowl will satisfy you, MU football is not for you. If you do not consider a bowl game to be something, this just is not your thing. Move on.

If you think that it is OK to make the NCAA tournament ONCE in the adult lifetime of anyone under 50, then you will settle for anything. That is fine. Being a no expectations, whatever happens is fine, I demand nothing fan is fine. Such fans help teams, be they college or pro, through the hard times.

Some of us demand more. Which is why we have great pride in our football team, and worry about the gross under-achievement that is, and has been for 30 years, MU basketball.
So, what accomplishments has football given us that basketball hasn't? I will go out on a limb and state that MU bball in the last 4 years has been the most exciting that I have watched since Huck or the late 60's, early seventies. Football? Not a whole lot of exciting going on there. Sure, they have won some games, but not nearly as many as they should have. Face it. You can't get enough of Doc, and dislike Danny immensely.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
So, what accomplishments has football given us that basketball hasn't? I will go out on a limb and state that MU bball in the last 4 years has been the most exciting that I have watched since Huck or the late 60's, early seventies. Football? Not a whole lot of exciting going on there. Sure, they have won some games, but not nearly as many as they should have. Face it. You can't get enough of Doc, and dislike Danny immensely.
you know I actually agree with what you said. I mean while I do not expect us to win a conference championship every year I would say that the fact we have only one title (2014) since 2002 says we are under achieving as a program. I am hopeful that moving forward we can do better. Our football program should be winning at a minimum 2 every 10 years. I would hope we would win 3-4 every 10 years. IMO what BP did from 97 to 2004 was not sustainable when we won 5 titles in 8 years. Then again if we can recruit another Chad and Randy then maybe we could achieve at that level again.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
So, what accomplishments has football given us that basketball hasn't?

Is that a serious question?

Sad to say, some people around here treat Doc like the smart brother and Danny like the retarded little sister. We say the solid B+ from brother in a hard science is underachievment and take pictures of his sister pouring milk on her cereal and not spilling it and act like it is winning the Nobel Prize.

Sad to say, some people around here treat Doc like the smart brother and Danny like the retarded little sister. We say the solid B+ from brother in a hard science is underachievment and take pictures of his sister pouring milk on her cereal and not spilling it and act like it is winning the Nobel Prize.

With stellar posts like this, it's a wonder that more people don't take you seriously.

.......Sad Sam! “Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind’s made up!” Will be interesting to get his comments once DD is the #2 all time in wins @ MU.
Sorry for the side track - back to Boise!

Actually, winning CUSA is underachieving.

People will immediately dismiss the wins as anything positive and spend more energy on why MU shouldn't have won the games they did.
Then huff and puff about how "if MU were in a better conference they'd be lucky to be .500" and then somehow dismiss a bowl win against a bowl eligible team from...well...a better conference.

WELL STATED.

Let's get behind both sports (football & basketball) programs and HELP them achieve. I chose to drink from the Cup of Positivity and not from the Bucket of Negativity!

I Love THE HERD....Bring Them On......

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte (It's HOT here too)

Last edited:
Hey Marine03 haven’t you heard? Sam is now taking charge of getting us out of CUSA and into the AAC!

“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind’s made up!”

I am not the person who has trouble with facts, or who even brought up basketball in the first place. I pointed out that there are several here who, despite the high achievement of our football program are never happy. Nothing that is ever going to really happen here is ever going to please them. MU is in CUSA, and will be in CUSA until the next realignment and then, almost certainly, in something very much like CUSA. In the current system, that means a pre-Christmas bowl against either another G5 team, or a 6-6 8th place P5er. That IS what Marshall football IS. If that cannot make you happy, then move on.

YOU brought up basketball, and tried, and failed, to make to make an analogy to my advice relative to football to me and basketball. Of course, you failed because I have never said anything of the sort of things the anti-Doc crowd have said. I certainly think that MU basketball is capable of achieving things that are real and which can make me, and any fan, happy. The sad thing is how infrequently we have done so. And how many, including yourself, are fine with that.

I am not the person who has trouble with facts, or who even brought up basketball in the first place. I pointed out that there are several here who, despite the high achievement of our football program are never happy. Nothing that is ever going to really happen here is ever going to please them. MU is in CUSA, and will be in CUSA until the next realignment and then, almost certainly, in something very much like CUSA. In the current system, that means a pre-Christmas bowl against either another G5 team, or a 6-6 8th place P5er. That IS what Marshall football IS. If that cannot make you happy, then move on.

YOU brought up basketball, and tried, and failed, to make to make an analogy to my advice relative to football to me and basketball. Of course, you failed because I have never said anything of the sort of things the anti-Doc crowd have said. I certainly think that MU basketball is capable of achieving things that are real and which can make me, and any fan, happy. The sad thing is how infrequently we have done so. And how many, including yourself, are fine with that.

I agree on a key part of this,
'I pointed out that there are several here who, despite the high achievement of our football program are never happy. Nothing that is ever going to really happen here is ever going to please them.'

When it became evident Snyder was horrible at everything relating to head coaching, the simple phrase from fans was, "I don't care how we win, I just want to win again." He was given 5 years to make MU into something. He didn't.
In comes Doc. A wvu guy...hadn't even begun practice and people felt he should be fired.
That's stupid to want, but ok, the simple minded foolishness if WVians as a whole is bearable.
So he goes out and wins...and in three years...conference title game.
One year later...conference title.

But people complained still.
"Well...Marshall isn't winning enough!!! Fire Doc!"

Doc wins 30+ games in 3 seasons...
"His style of coaching is boring!!! Forget this season!!!"
Despite his QB's setting multiple school records...records set by very good teams/players.

Then the fans go to moments in the game, to justify negative satisfaction,
"This is pathetic...ODU has a chance to take control of the game! Fire Doc!"
ODU doesn't, and Marshall goes on a scoring tear...winning by multiple scores.
"Well...for about 3 minutes of the game...Marshall was gonna lose!!! Fire Doc and Hamrick!"

Now its comparing the records of the opponents played...and using that as a justification for why MU and Doc suck and should both be fired.
When that didn't work (because CUSA was fielding quite a lot of bowl eligible teams) it became,
"Well...1 title in 9 years...isn't cutting it. Doc needs fired."
Forgetting nobody, besides WKU was able to repeat as champions in recent years.

Now MU may have a chance to go to the AAC...fans saying, "better teams, better atmosphere, more exposure."
Easily forgetting, prior to the AAC situation they said,
"Who wants to watch us play UConn or USF?! That sooo boring and all we are is a field filler for ESPN and greedy bowl officials."

MU loses by 10 to eventual C-USA runner-up MTSU.
Fans lose their minds declaring the season over (first game of said season). "Fire Doc" "Marshall is pathetic."

MU loses 101-51 to USM in the middle of the season.
"Stay the course. We'll be fine. Its going to be ok people. No worries. In Dan We Trust."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT