ADVERTISEMENT

Boozin' Preacher Strikes Again

wvkeeper(HN)

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 4, 2007
Muswell Hillbilly
Took some of my end-of-year bonus and bought these four beauties today at lunch...

It pays to be Presbyterian...

2067.jpg

Never been a scotch guy... but Buffalo Trace is some smoove, smoove stuff. In that price range, that and Elijah Craig are my top two.

Originally posted by wvkeeper(HN):
Elijah Craig is my go-to as well, but bought the Buffalo Trace based primarily on your former avatar.
You, sir, have exquisite taste.

Not sure what happened to my avatar. I was futzing around recently on photobucket and obviously screwed something up. Ah well...

I drink Elijah Craig mainly for the irony. The bourbon named for a Baptist preacher much to the dismay of the "alcohol is of de debil" baptist crowd.

Hey Keep not to hijack your thread but why is it that some christian denominations believe drinking is bad?

The temperance movement of the 19th Century had a profound effect on how many churches view alcohol, a view that is very American-centric and not at all held by practically anyone prior to that and thankfully this view is going away.

Originally posted by HerdandHokies:
Let me know how the buffalo trace is. My 4 Roses is just about out.
Will do.

I might open that first. I don't drink near enough to have more than one bottle open at a time (even though well-cared for whisky will last a while).

The temperance movement of the 19th Century had a profound effect on how many churches view alcohol, a view that is very American-centric and not at all held by practically anyone prior to that and thankfully this view is going away.
Thanks Keep I was pretty sure it was an American thing!

I'm more of a beer guy myself, but living in KY, I have tried more than a few of the Commonwealth's bourbon offerings. Buffalo Trace is very good. I am also a fan of Knob Creek.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by HerdandHokies:
Let me know how the buffalo trace is. My 4 Roses is just about out.
Will do.

I might open that first. I don't drink near enough to have more than one bottle open at a time (even though well-cared for whisky will last a while).
Same, and I find I enjoy it more when I stick with one for a bottle instead of jumping around. Helps me get more familiar with the flavors I guess. I usually have two open at a time though, one bourbon or scotch for drinking and one rye for mixing. That combo usually lasts me a couple months before I have to buy another.

I do recommend Four Roses by the way. I'd probably get it before I'd buy Makers 46 again and that's a pretty big compliment from me.

That, and multiple bible verses.

Originally posted by big_country90:

Grossly misinterpreted verses that show an inability to do basic bible exegesis.

A view which also makes Timothy a "drunkard" and Paul an "enabler" as well as giving Dr. Welch a time-machine to intervene at the Wedding at Cana is a reading of the Greek to be mocked and eyerolled.

Here we go.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke MU:
BC, does your wife cover her head when she prays?

Jesus made water into wine, so the party could continue, and took the trouble to make the good stuff after everyone was already wasted. While the Bible speaks against overindulgence of alcohol, that one always made me wonder exactly what was going on.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
(The funny thing is that I do believe 1 Cor 11 teaches that women should cover in worship, and that the following section on the Lord's Supper further proves that not only does the Bible not condemn the use of alcohol (just its immoderate use), but it prescribes its use in the Lord's Supper, which our church uses real wine).

Have you ever had any issues along the way with people within the church who find your alcohol consumption not appropriate for a minister? I ask this sincerely and not in a judgemental way. We live in such a judgemental society.

Originally posted by GK4Herd:
Have you ever had any issues along the way with people within the church who find your alcohol consumption not appropriate for a minister? I ask this sincerely and not in a judgemental way. We live in such a judgemental society.
Not within our church, hence the joke about it paying to be Presbyterian (but I don't exactly get lit and run around our front yard nekkid), but as BC exemplifies there is still a lot of bigotry in these parts surrounding alcohol.

It is interesting that the only three religious groups who hate booze are Mormons, Muslims, and Southern Baptists.

You know why a Southern Baptist doesn't make love standing up? They're afraid it might lead to dancing.

Not within our church, hence the joke about it paying to be Presbyterian (but I don't exactly get lit and run around our front yard nekkid), but as BC exemplifies there is still a lot of bigotry in these parts surrounding alcohol.

It is interesting that the only three religious groups who hate booze are Mormons, Muslims, and Southern Baptists.
Arguing with you about Christianity serves no purpose because you believe Jesus to be a liar. Jesus said He was the only way to heaven and you say God hand selected you for heaven before you were even born, rendering Jesus and the entire New Testament pointless. So why would you pay attention to anything the Bible says about alcohol? In essence, you warp Christianity to suit you so you can live however you want. Then, your only defense is to say that I don't understand the Bible in some manner in which you supposedly do. You're basically a Quaker version of Joel Osteen.

You know why a Southern Baptist doesn't make love standing up? They're afraid it might lead to dancing.

When we were getting married the preacher had us come in for questioning. He asked me if I had ever had sex before.

I answered, "do you mean with her or someone else?"

Arguing with you about Christianity serves no purpose because you believe Jesus to be a liar. Jesus said He was the only way to heaven and you say God hand selected you for heaven before you were even born, rendering Jesus and the entire New Testament pointless. So why would you pay attention to anything the Bible says about alcohol? In essence, you warp Christianity to suit you so you can live however you want. Then, your only defense is to say that I don't understand the Bible in some manner in which you supposedly do. You're basically a Quaker version of Joel Osteen.
Well, GK said things were a little slow around here. I think this just took care of it.

Get the popcorn out.

Tell me BC.

Would you mind actually dealing with the text and the arguments rather than make ad hominem retorts and making red herrings (our differing understandings of regeneration, yours Pelagian, mine Augustinian)?

Why did Jesus make wine at Cana and serve wine to His disciples in the Upper Room?

I know it is hard coming to grips with the fact that your position re: alcohol has no reference in the history of the Christian faith, either East or West, let alone in the Biblical record (again was Paul violating the Law of God by calling upon Timothy to have some wine for his stomach, or was that not "real wine", just grape juice, which didn't exist in those days?) until the liberal social gospelers got a hold of the Temperance movement in the 19th Century.

Elijah Craig (the aforementioned) was a baptist minister in Kentucky and was instrumental in starting the bourbon tradition. Was he just "twisting Scripture" so that he could live however he wanted?

For the benefit of the group gathered here BC would you like to tell us where the Greek word "οἶνος", which (or one of its cognates) appears 36 times in the New Testament, means something other than wine which contains alcohol.

In Psalm 104:14-16 David writes, " He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart."

Is the psalmist being metaphorical? Or is just Old Testament so we can just kind of ignore it and basically become Marcionites?

Keep, I readily admit that the Bible is, at best, somewhat confusing on the subject of alcohol. It has been a source of turmoil for me for a long time. Luckily, I have no desire to drink and have never even tasted the first drop of alcohol in my entire life. That has nothing to do with my faith, and is solely a result of me simply being turned off by alcohol.

Even if one takes the position that you can drink but not get drunk, I have a hard time believing that those same people (most likely including yourself) don't get drunk.

Further, as a preacher, you are specifically forbidden to drink alcohol. Titus 1:7 and 1 Timothy 3:3 says not to be given to wine. You ignore that as conveniently as you ignore John 3:16.

Those are two positions that I simply cannot understand how you can take as a preacher.

This post was edited on 12/29 10:40 PM by big_country90

Again notice what is being said there. 1 Tim 3:3 and 1 Tim 3:8 do not disagree with one another.

The Greek phrase "μη παροινον" used in 1 Tim 3:3 only has two occurrences in the New Testament. The word itself means "drunkard". The word wine (the aforementioned οινος) does not appear here. It is specifically referring to a man that is "given to wine" or is owned by it. Its only other appearance is in a similar context in Titus 1:7.

1 Timothy 3:3, "μη παροινον μη πληκτην μη αισχροκερδη αλλ επιεικη αμαχον αφιλαργυρον"

1 Timothy 3:3, "Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;"

This post was edited on 12/29 10:53 PM by wvkeeper(HN)

I have no clue who is right, but Keep sounds like he's winning.

I would never argue the Bible with someone who actually spent a large portion of their life dedicated to learning it, not just from self study, but through formal education. Likewise, I don't argue weather with Raoul or science with GK. You have to know the arenas in which you are best suited for battle.

Our pastor has his masters from Temple Baptist and his Doctor of Ministry from Dallas Theological. I'm not afraid to ask questions, and follow up questions, but at the end of the day he's just too well versed, no pun intended, for me to think I have any better interpretation of scripture. Keep, he would argue with you that, while wine of biblical times certainly contained alcohol, the level was significantly less than today's version do to differences in how it was made. He would agree that drinking is not a sin, or a violation of scripture, if not done in excess. However, he would also point out that if you don't drink you don't have to worry where the point of excess actually occurs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT