RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
USA Today – Hawaii Bowl – Marshall vs. Hawaii
CBS Sports – Hawaii Bowl – Marshall vs. Hawaii
ESPN – Hawaii Bowl – Marshall vs. Hawaii
Sporting News – First Responders (Dallas) – Marshall vs. Wake Forest
SB Nation – New Mexico Bowl – Marshall vs. Boise State

CBS has had us going to Hawaii pretty much since the beginning of the season, I wonder how much update thought they put into the secondary bowls?

Good to know... With Hawaii likely off the table and the Bahamas already taking FIU, it looks more and more likely that Marshall will either be in one of the two Florida bowls or in Dallas.

I would add New Orleans into the mix, but there is scuttlebutt that the powers that be are trying to get whoever wins the CUSA title game (UAB) to pick New Orleans and play the Sun Belt champ in a "G5 battle royale."

To expand on RhinoD's posting here:

After Week 13:

SB Nation: New Mexico Bowl vs Boise State
USA Today: First Responders Bowl vs Wake Forest
Bleacher Report: New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State
CBS Sports: Hawai'i Bowl vs Hawai'i
College Football News: First Responders Bowl vs Wake Forest
Athlon Sports: Hawai'i Bowl vs Hawai'i

Sports Illustrated: New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State
Orlando Sentinel: Boca Raton Bowl vs USF
Sporting News: First Responders Bowl vs Wake Forest
ESPN - Bonagura: Hawai’I Bowl vs Hawai’i
ESPN - Sherman: Bahamas Bowl vs Toledo (he either posted this before the bowl announcement or was lazy and didn’t update his projection.)

Good to know... With Hawaii likely off the table and the Bahamas already taking FIU, it looks more and more likely that Marshall will either be in one of the two Florida bowls or in Dallas.

I would add New Orleans into the mix, but there is scuttlebutt that the powers that be are trying to get whoever wins the CUSA title game (UAB) to pick New Orleans and play the Sun Belt champ in a "G5 battle royale."

If that happens with the New Orleans Bowl, perhaps we can get the First Responders Bowl. If not a match-up with Temple, Memphis or Houston in either St. Pete or Boca wouldn't be that a bad landing spot.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I would really like to play a team that he haven’t played before (or at least in a very long time). I mean, I really enjoyed last year’s bowl vs. CSU. I even liked playing UCONN in ‘15.

So unless we somehow can draw a P5 team, give me South Florida, Boise, Utah State, Temple or someone like that.

from everything I have read MU will be in Tampa or Boca Raton and WVU in Orlando

I've heard that too.

One is the same as the next to me. I would prefer Florida, which is on the edge of a reasonable drive, sometimes served by Allegiant, our recruiting base, warm, and in modern stadiums (the Tampa bowl is the old St. Pete Bowl, played now at the Bucs' stadium and not weirdly wedged into a baseball park). I think the western teams, and even MTSU would prefer Texas or Louisiana. With FIU going international, that leaves us with an easy Florida seating.

Reactions: WVU1975
I was using "seating" in the same sense as used on cruises, as "I have a 6:00 seating in the Lido Room". "Seeding" which means setting up a tournament such that the weakest play the best and survive and advance, would be wrong, as this is not a tournament.

Last edited:
I don’t know about anyone else, but I would really like to play a team that he haven’t played before (or at least in a very long time). I mean, I really enjoyed last year’s bowl vs. CSU. I even liked playing UCONN in ‘15.

So unless we somehow can draw a P5 team, give me South Florida, Boise, Utah State, Temple or someone like that.

I agree and that's why I wouldn't mind seeing Marshall landing in St. Pete, Dallas, Albuquerque or Boca since an AAC team is slated for Boca this year. I would rather play a team from the Mountain West just because we don't play them and that type of match-up is what makes bowl season cool to watch. I've seen some projections putting either Fresno State or Utah State in the New Mexico Bowl. That would be an interesting match-up for Marshall.

Last edited:
Either Wake or Boise would be the my choice for bowl opponent. Unless another better option would come available which is extremely unlikely.
Wake just blew the doors off of a pretty good Duke team and beat NC State so we would definitely know how far this team has come this season if we play them.

MT just beat UAB at UAB, and now play them at home, so I would put my money on MT.

Reactions: HerdFan1971
To expand on RhinoD's posting here:

After Week 13:

SB Nation: New Mexico Bowl vs Boise State
USA Today: First Responders Bowl vs Wake Forest
Bleacher Report: New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State
CBS Sports: Hawai'i Bowl vs Hawai'i
College Football News: First Responders Bowl vs Wake Forest
Athlon Sports: Hawai'i Bowl vs Hawai'i

Sports Illustrated: New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State
Orlando Sentinel: Boca Raton Bowl vs USF
Sporting News: First Responders Bowl vs Wake Forest
ESPN - Bonagura: Hawai’I Bowl vs Hawai’i
ESPN - Sherman: Bahamas Bowl vs Toledo (he either posted this before the bowl announcement or was lazy and didn’t update his projection.)
That Orlando Sentinel match up with us playing USF would be a big recruiting battle game as we have offered a lot of the same recruits in this class and there are several recruits that are considering us both.

I'd love to see us play one of the top G5 programs as it would mean the most for the long term if we could win; would help the league make a statement too. For some reason, I see us receiving votes, maybe even into the Top 25, if we can find a way to win in Blacksburg this coming Saturday. At 9 - 3, we'd be separating ourselves. At 10 - 3, we'd certainly be rated.

But alas, a win at VaTech this Saturday is a far stretch IMHO. We can, but I'm doubtful we will. Without a breakdown or two, we'll be very happy coming home on Saturday afternoon though.

I'd love to see us play one of the top G5 programs as it would mean the most for the long term if we could win; would help the league make a statement too. For some reason, I see us receiving votes, maybe even into the Top 25, if we can find a way to win in Blacksburg this coming Saturday. At 9 - 3, we'd be separating ourselves. At 10 - 3, we'd certainly be rated.

But alas, a win at VaTech this Saturday is a far stretch IMHO. We can, but I'm doubtful we will. Without a breakdown or two, we'll be very happy coming home on Saturday afternoon though.

I hope we go in there and play like we have nothing to lose (because we don't)... Go out and "fun and gun" it all over the field and see what happens.

Apparently La Tech to Hawaii. Where does that leave MU? Is there any impact from Saturday’s game on our destination?
No. The record of a team makes no impact. CUSA and ESPN try to send teams that will take fans to places thta fans can travel to easily. Thus we go to Florida so often. FIU, as an example would take ZERO fans if the game were played in Miami. So, they send them to a place that is hard or expensive to visit. Nassau.
I would say that it is nearly certain that Marshall will be in Boca or Tampa. New Orleans I would say is the 3rd outside possibility.

Reactions: The Real SamC
No. The record of a team makes no impact. CUSA and ESPN try to send teams that will take fans to places thta fans can travel to easily. Thus we go to Florida so often. FIU, as an example would take ZERO fans if the game were played in Miami. So, they send them to a place that is hard or expensive to visit. Nassau.
I would say that it is nearly certain that Marshall will be in Boca or Tampa. New Orleans I would say is the 3rd outside possibility.
Not this year. If we win we supposedly would get a better bowl game than any of the CUSA options.

Not this year. If we win we supposedly would get a better bowl game than any of the CUSA options.

You know one of us is going to ask so, where did you get this information? A reliable source?

Also, what are the better options? Independence Bowl? Frisco Bowl? Armed Forces Bowl? Military Bowl?

Yes, we supposedly get a much better bowl than the current options if we win.

Better than what? The CUSA bowl tie-ins that set in stone. New Mexico, New Orleans, Boca Raton, Tampa (ex: St. Pete), Bahamas (taken), Hawaii (taken), Dallas. Seven bowls, seven bowl eligible teams (Middle, Marshall, FIU, UAB, North Texas, LA Tech, Southern Miss).

Actually it becomes pretty easy with FIU and LTU assigned. They want to try to draw the best crowds they can. Marshall fits better in Florida, due to distance and number of displaced alumni and fans, than any other team.

CUSA and ESPN try to send teams that will take fans to places thta fans can travel to easily. Thus we go to Florida so often. FIU, as an example would take ZERO fans if the game were played in Miami. So, they send them to a place that is hard or expensive to visit. Nassau.

You surely don't believe that right?

You know one of us is going to ask so, where did you get this information? A reliable source?

Also, what are the better options? Independence Bowl? Frisco Bowl? Armed Forces Bowl? Military Bowl?
Private board and that is all I can say.

Better than what? The CUSA bowl tie-ins that set in stone. New Mexico, New Orleans, Boca Raton, Tampa (ex: St. Pete), Bahamas (taken), Hawaii (taken), Dallas. Seven bowls, seven bowl eligible teams (Middle, Marshall, FIU, UAB, North Texas, LA Tech, Southern Miss).

Actually it becomes pretty easy with FIU and LTU assigned. They want to try to draw the best crowds they can. Marshall fits better in Florida, due to distance and number of displaced alumni and fans, than any other team.
How do you think we ended up in the Military Bowl? It wasn't one of the CUSA tie-ins, ESPN and the bowl sponsors just wanted us for that match up, since we were good and the match up would guarantee good attendance. If we don't earn the better bowl on Saturday then we will be in FL.

do we really take that many fans to these bowls anymore? I know Maryland was a pretty good draw. But, do that many people go these pre Christmas Bowls in Florida?

do we really take that many fans to these bowls anymore? I know Maryland was a pretty good draw. But, do that many people go these pre Christmas Bowls in Florida?

That's a fair question. I don't remember hearing any announced ticket sales numbers but for the Boca Bowl and the last trip to St. Pete, the amount of green in the stands didn't look overwhelming on the TV crowd shots. Perhaps the Military Bowl is the exception given the amount of Marshall alumni and such in the DC Metro area.

There are the highlights from 2015 vs Uconn. Pretty Sparce.

2011 vs FIU again from St. Petersburg

2014 va. NIU in Boca a little better. Maybe because it was a matchup of Conference Champs.

Now compare that with last years New Mexico Bowl attendance.

Make your own decisions.

Looks to me
1 New Mexico
2 NIU Boca.
3 UConn
4 FIU

Attendence:
2015 St.Peters av Uconn 14,652
2011 St Peters. 20,072 Beef 'o'Brady
2014 Boca 29,419
2017 NM 26,087

Last edited: