ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Games

Jartard

Platinum Buffalo
Oct 29, 2019
It used to be you’d get intriguing matchups for bowl games. Bowl games with the transfer portal and players sitting out has made them nothing but a glorified scrimmage. Colleges need to tie the NIL money into making these guys “earn” their money.

They need to stop ejaculating on the winning coach.
usa_today_22180467.0.jpg

It used to be you’d get intriguing matchups for bowl games. Bowl games with the transfer portal and players sitting out has made them nothing but a glorified scrimmage. Colleges need to tie the NIL money into making these guys “earn” their money.
yep - need to cut out half of the bowl games with the new 12-team playoff

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
NIL cannot be incentive based.'

Remember these aren't salaries.

NIL cannot be incentive based.'

Remember these aren't salaries.
I’m sure some lingo could easily be changed. The players are on the teams that are paying them. Put in a clause to saw that all monies are forfeited if the player opts out of any game if it’s non-injury related and likewise if they transfer.

Actually, I would argue NIL can be whatever is negotiated between the player and the person wanting to use the player’s NIL.

If I wanted to use a star actor to pimp my product our contract could have incentives for things like his TV show being ranked #1 or him winning an Emmy. Likewise, I would negotiate a reduction or cancellation if his show were to be cancelled.

The same applies to hiring a college athlete for the same job.

If you want to fix bowl games, and college football in general... You can do it in 4 steps.

1. The transfer portal opens Feb. 1 and closes Aug. 15.
2. Each player gets one free, no questions asked transfer, and another when they graduate. (No more 4 schools in 5 years BS)
3. Players can not transfer to schools in the same conference as their previous school.
4. Get rid of the gift suite garbage and give the players that show up and play a check. The rules mean nothing, so just make it obvious. If your team makes a bowl game, and you play, here is some cash.

If you want to fix bowl games, and college football in general... You can do it in 4 steps.

2. Each player gets one free, no questions asked transfer, and another when they graduate. (No more 4 schools in 5 years BS)
3. Players can not transfer to schools in the same conference as their previous school.
4. Get rid of the gift suite garbage and give the players that show up and play a check. The rules mean nothing, so just make it obvious. If your team makes a bowl game, and you play, here is some cash.
Recent court cases make point 2 and 3 unattainable currently

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
As I stated, years ago, you can have playoffs, or bowls, but not both. The focus of evil in the sports world, ESPN, has now manipulated the system into this 12 team "playoff", which will eventually be 16, then 24. It is an answer to a question no one asked.

This kills the bowls. It also makes, at the top level, the regular season totally meaningless. IMHO, the best team this year was Georgia. But it lost the SEC Championship. Next year, both will make ESPN's stupid playoffs, so the game will not matter at all. Nor will any regular season game. We will all know at least 10 of the 12 playoff teams will be in August. Ohio State plays Michigan. Doesn't matter. Alabama plays Texas. Doesn't matter. Clemson plays Florida State. Doesn't matter.

For the elites, more $$. But good luck selling mid October tickets. The regular season doesn't mean a thing.

For the field fillers in the "power 4", you no longer matter at all. You will NEVER make the playoffs. Never. Never ever. So if you are UK, or WVU, or Pitt or VPI or the majority of the "power 4", guess what. You don't get to go to some mid bowl sponsored by some goofy product. Your reward for 8-4 or 9-3 or even 10-2 is, nothing. You didn't make the playoffs, again. You are a POS. Again.

For the G5, one team (until they get rid of it, which they will) gets the #12 birth in the playoffs. And, 9 years out of 10 gets assreamed like Liberty did yesterday. Everyone else is done before Thanksgiving, and is a POS.

ESPN. Evil.

Having the portal open for six straight months, including up to two weeks before each new season begins would be a nightmare for coaches. Having a couple of small windows gives just a tiny bit of roster control back to the coaches.

Also, barring kids from transferring after the fall semester will never fly. With the emphasis on spring football/practices there is simply too much value in getting a transfer on campus in January.

Also, also - I love the idea of only one free transfer (you can sit out a year if you transfer again before you graduate) but that likely is dead with recent litigation.

Love your 4th idea but it probably won't make much of a difference in bigger bowl games where elite players are sitting out to avoid injury ahead of the NFL draft. Could make a big difference at Marshall's level, though.

Reactions: ru4_mu2 and RhinoD
The bowls won't exist in 5 to 10 years, so it won't matter. IMHO, any player that sits out a bowl game is a quitter and thus a POS. The school should, for all time, cut all ties with him.

As to the idiotic "transfer portal", the courts will only let it be fixed if they are smart enough to tie it to academics and/or to the NIL pay. The idea of someone playing for 4 or 5 different schools in different parts of the country with different academic levels is ridiculous.

I watched fewer bowl games this year than ever. In the past I always looked forward to Bowl season much like March Madness. This year I maybe watched 2 whole games (Marshall and Michigan-Alabama). If millions of traditional viewers cease to watch this crap that the portal and NIL has created it will be interesting to see where it ends up.

I watched fewer bowl games this year than ever. In the past I always looked forward to Bowl season much like March Madness. This year I maybe watched 2 whole games (Marshall and Michigan-Alabama). If millions of traditional viewers cease to watch this crap that the portal and NIL has created it will be interesting to see where it ends up.
Same. This year was the least number of bowl games I have watched in years.

Do the teams who lose in the opening round of the playoff still go to a bowl game?
If you are talking about next year, no. The 12 team playoff will be a fiasco.

The "power 4" champions, one "group of 5" champion, and the next 7 highest ranked teams (which pretty much means whoever loses the now meaningless Ohio State-Michigan game, and then teams that finished 2-7 in the SEC, most years) make the field. The four "power 4" champions get a bye.

The first round will just be a home game for seeds #5-8. Teams will have less than 10 days notice to organize a home game at stadiums seating upwards of 100K. The first round will end on the Saturday before Christmas. The four losers are just that, losers, season over.

The four winners will then advance to what they are going to call "bowls". These will rotated, but for 24, its the Rose, Fiesta, Peach and Sugar. Then the next round, again with a week's notice, team will advance to what they will call the Cotton and Orange bowls. Then, again on a week's notice, a championship game. The system where many people from the rural states where college football is most popular took their Christmas and New Year's vacation to the one and only bowl game their team would play in, having a month's notice to prepare, is destroyed. How many people can be-bop around the country week after week?

Note that the NFL is not going to get out of their way. The NFL plays on Saturdays after college regular season is over, always has. Then NFL is now playing a Monday Night game on "super wild card weekend", and will continue to do that. Of course Christmas and New Year's work their way around the week, this year they are on Wednesdays, but the logistics mean they will be playing, according to Paul Finebaum, games on Thursday and Friday nights in some years.

And, of course, they will be one winner, everyone else is a POS, and the remaining bowls will simply die out, and every team that doesn't make the playoffs is also a POS.

Thanks, ESPN.

The remaining bowl games won't "die out"... But they will all be owned/controlled by ESPN (about half already are). There won't be any "bowl tie-ins" by conference and ESPN will handpick the matchups it wants.

For example, there is no way that ESPN would let the Gator Bowl die out. The fourth place SEC team and third place ACC team still sell a ton of tickets and get good ratings for that game. It won't be part of the playoff, but it will still be a bowl game.

I do think 5-10 games will be shuttered (Bahamas, Cure Bowl, Idaho Potato, New Mexico, Fenway, Hawaii, etc)... Going 6-6 will not mean being guaranteed a bowl game. ESPN will keep the ones they can make money on and ditch the bottom few that no one attends, watches, advertisers dont care about.

Reactions: ohio herd
Nope the 4th place team from any conf will never make the 12 team playoff.
Explain. If it were this year, the SEC would have had 4 teams. Pac 12 is going away. ACC will probably be a one big league, If this were next year, there would have been 5 teams from the B1G.......https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-football/cfps-missed-opportunity-what-a-12-team-playoff-would-have-looked-like-this-season

Reactions: The Real SamC
Nope the 4th place team from any conf will never make the 12 team playoff.
Yes they will... This year it would have been...

1. Michigan - Big10
2. Washington - Pac12 (which will no longer exist next year)
3. Texas - Big12
4. Alabama - SEC
5. Florida State - ACC
6. Georgia - SEC
7. Ohio State - Big10
8. Missouri - SEC
9. Oregon - Pac12
10. Penn State - Big10
11. Ole Miss - SEC
12. Liberty - CUSA

Four SEC and three Big10 teams would have gotten in.

Doesn't change my point about the Gator Bowl, it will just take the 5th place SEC team and the third place ACC team... ESPN won't be getting rid of it, or most of the other "minor" bowls. As long as they bring in advertising dollars, they will survive.

Reactions: The Real SamC
For the SEC to not have at least four teams in the playoffs, is a down year. Most years five or six SEC teams. Which makes the SEC regular season totally meaningless. Alabama-LSU? Doesn't matter, both make playoffs. Means as much as Baltimore-Cleveland in Week 7. Which is nothing.

As to the rest of the bowls, yes, ESPN will try to save them, but this is ESPN, which is to say Disney, we are talking about. They could screw up a two-car funeral. Everything they touch, they screw up. In a few years, they will start to die out. Some may survive, just like the NIT. Quick, without looking, tell me who won that last year. Most will die out.

And BTW, this is going DEEP into January. College basketball will have 4 or 5 weeks in the spotlight before the tournaments start.

All to see undefeated Washington play undefeated Michigan. Which is exactly what would have happened before all this BCS, playoffs nonsense. In the Rose Bowl, on New Year's Day, the last day of the season.

Actually, I would argue NIL can be whatever is negotiated between the player and the person wanting to use the player’s NIL.

If I wanted to use a star actor to pimp my product our contract could have incentives for things like his TV show being ranked #1 or him winning an Emmy. Likewise, I would negotiate a reduction or cancellation if his show were to be cancelled.

The same applies to hiring a college athlete for the same job.

I’m sure some lingo could easily be changed. The players are on the teams that are paying them. Put in a clause to saw that all monies are forfeited if the player opts out of any game if it’s non-injury related and likewise if they transfer.

Problem is under current NCAA rules for NIL that is prohibited under athletics eligibility 12.1.2, 12.1.2.1.4.1, and 12.1.2.1.5 which states athletics participation for pay and payment based on performance or given on an incentive basis are prohibited.

Now, could schools sue the NCAA and let the courts decide if NCAA has that jurisdiction, sure (similar to the multiple transfer rule that is going on). But under current NCAA bylaws for NIL that is not allowed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT