ADVERTISEMENT

***Bowl Matchups Announced So Far***

I dont know how those two guys keep getting a paycheck... A couple of week ago they didn't have Indiana in a bowl game (they certainly will be) and now they dont have MU in a bowl game (we certainly will be).
Yep.

La Tech just accepted a bid to the New Orleans Bowl against Georgia Southern. No chance they'd (or WKU, UNT, UTSA) get a bowl before us:

Reactions: The Real SamC
So if I'm reading this right, we will place 7 teams in bowls this season?

That's crazy considering 12 bowls equating to 24 bowl slots have been canceled.

Canceled bowl games
Bowl games that have been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic:

• New Era Pinstripe Bowl
  • Fenway Bowl
  • San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl
  • Bahamas Bowl
  • Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl
  • Hawai'i Bowl
  • LA Bowl
  • Las Vegas Bowl
  • Redbox Bowl
  • Sun Bowl
  • Quick Lane Bowl
  • Celebration Bowl

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
What are the chances we “opt out” of a bowl? I have heard many times how the team has been on campus since May without trips home to see family. Could they just say after the game Friday that they are done and get to go home for Christmas?

I can’t say I’d blame them. The bowls have lost their fun component this year.

What are the chances we “opt out” of a bowl? I have heard many times how the team has been on campus since May without trips home to see family. Could they just say after the game Friday that they are done and get to go home for Christmas?

Zero chance... Whether we like them or not as players, coaches, fans, etc. Bowl games are the kind of exposure that is invaluable not only for the football program but also for the university.

If we are offered a bowl slot, and we will be, then we will be playing a bowl game. The only real question is when and where. Im guessing CUSA has two spots they are holding open for MU and UAB, the winner on Friday gets to pick their destination and opponent.

Zero. Doc said on Metronews that we'd know our opponent in the coming days.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
Remember the "glory days" in the lowly MAC? When you had to win the conference championship to go to a ginned up bowl game in frozen Detroit (actually the charmless suburb of Pontiac). Before Christmas, in a 90% empty stadium. Everybody else stayed home. Wasn't that just lovely?

There is ZERO POINT ZERO chance MU plays its last game on Friday, win or lose. The rotten superfan turned inward minority can complain about anything.

Remember the "glory days" in the lowly MAC? When you had to win the conference championship to go to a ginned up bowl game in frozen Detroit (actually the charmless suburb of Pontiac). Before Christmas, in a 90% empty stadium. Everybody else stayed home. Wasn't that just lovely?

There is ZERO POINT ZERO chance MU plays its last game on Friday, win or lose. The rotten superfan turned inward minority can complain about anything.
The Ole Miss and BYU games were well attended. Better than our current bowls for the most part.
Doc did say earlier today that we are going somewhere.

There is ZERO POINT ZERO chance MU plays its last game on Friday, win or lose.

Unless, of course, Marshall suddenly has a completely normal and common plague of injuries that decimates the entire team, with no relation to Covid, resulting in not having enough players to take the field.

But that would only happen if it secured a "championship" for Marshall or if the locker room was divided/internal strife/parking lot fights.

Sam - not to split hairs, but the ‘97 GMAC vs Ole’ Miss was played on 12/26.....

The Ole Miss and BYU games were well attended.

Define "well attended". They GAVE tickets away to sailors, soldiers, cops, firemen, boy scouts, and anybody else and still 90% of the seats were empty. The game had zero impact on the Detroit sports fan.

Understand what the lowly MAC was just before we got there. It and the long forgotten Big West had a special waiver from the NCAA to play in a ginned up bowl game for one-third of the otherwise minimum payout, in Fresno, which worked out to be vs. Fresno 4 years out of 5. The NCAA was looking to force the lowly MAC into I-AA and they got this, only slightly less ginned up Detroit bowl to try to stay in I-A, along with things like counting every student ticket as used when virtually none were, and asking boosters to buy, and shred, unsellable tickets.

BP took Southern speed and ran circles around the Future Phys Ed Teachers of Ohio, Michigan and Indiana. But do not confuse that era with today.

Define "well attended". They GAVE tickets away to sailors, soldiers, cops, firemen, boy scouts, and anybody else and still 90% of the seats were empty. The game had zero impact on the Detroit sports fan.

Understand what the lowly MAC was just before we got there. It and the long forgotten Big West had a special waiver from the NCAA to play in a ginned up bowl game for one-third of the otherwise minimum payout, in Fresno, which worked out to be vs. Fresno 4 years out of 5. The NCAA was looking to force the lowly MAC into I-AA and they got this, only slightly less ginned up Detroit bowl to try to stay in I-A, along with things like counting every student ticket as used when virtually none were, and asking boosters to buy, and shred, unsellable tickets.

BP took Southern speed and ran circles around the Future Phys Ed Teachers of Ohio, Michigan and Indiana. But do not confuse that era with today.
Sam I was at the 97 game. It had at least 50,000

Who cares how the tix were distributed. Most bowls give away gobs of tickets. I was at both, were you? Both had crowds of 30K or more I would say. The stadium looked good considering how large it was. Granted the weather sucked and Detroit/Pontiac isn't my ideal locale but those two bowls were great for Marshall and our fans traveled well.

Who cares how the tix were distributed. Most bowls give away gobs of tickets. I was at both, were you? Both had crowds of 30K or more I would say. The stadium looked good considering how large it was. Granted the weather sucked and Detroit/Pontiac isn't my ideal locale but those two bowls were great for Marshall and our fans traveled well.
You are correct. The CB had an announced attendance of over 43,000. I was also there and I promise anyone that those numbers were not inflated.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
With so many P-5 schools opting out of bowl participation, that could mean some of the better bowls would be open to take Marshall, assuming we can get by UAB on Friday. Would be nice to play against a large school in a bowl this year. I think we could compete.

thought you might like this

Have you ever compared the educational credentials at MAC schools, versus say, those of Marshall? Just curious to know if you happen to know how they matchup.

Have you ever compared the educational credentials at MAC schools, versus say, those of Marshall? Just curious to know if you happen to know how they matchup.
Most schools in the MAC share a similar profile with Marshall.

I know Marshall was not considered a national university back in our MAC days so it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison but right now (according to US News) Marshall is #284, WMU is #258, EMU, Toledo and NIU are 298-389, Ball State is #284, BGSU is #258, CMU is #249 and Kent State is #217.

Only Buffalo, Miami and maybe Ohio would be considered "good" schools by the average person.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I think his point about Physical Ed teachers may have been that BP and Miss might have caused some coaches to lose their jobs, not so much about Ed credentials.

I think his point about Physical Ed teachers may have been that BP and Miss might have caused some coaches to lose their jobs, not so much about Ed credentials.

That's not what he meant. He has made the reference before. Marshall wasn't running circles around the coaches. They were running circles around the other MAC players. He has previously referred to MAC schools as a collection of state schools that produce teachers.

With so many P-5 schools opting out of bowl participation, that could mean some of the better bowls would be open to take Marshall, assuming we can get by UAB on Friday. Would be nice to play against a large school in a bowl this year. I think we could compete.

The irony of this post. You think we could compete with a “large school” at the same time you are “assuming” we can get by against UAB. Reality- if you get drubbed at home by Rice, bitch out vs Charlotte, and then get beat by UAB again at home, you shouldn’t think about a better bowl. You shut it down and move on 2021

Based on your ratings, then Sam's continual tossing of shade against MAC schools is pretty much the equivalent of a meth addict making fun of a heroin addict.
I'm not "tossing shade" at the academic side of the MAC. I very well know where each school is in academic terms. If academics = football then MIT would be national champions.

I'm just outlining where the lowly MAC was before, during, and after MU got there in football. And, when the ESPN contract, signed in a different era, runs out, where the MAC will be.

I'm not "tossing shade" at the academic side of the MAC. I very well know where each school is in academic terms. If academics = football then MIT would be national champions.

I'm just outlining where the lowly MAC was before, during, and after MU got there in football. And, when the ESPN contract, signed in a different era, runs out, where the MAC will be.
Still likely positioned better than CDOA. Thanks Judy!

• Haha
I could point you towards USA Today's tremendous database on college sports financing, and teach you just how subsidized the lowly MAC, even with the bygone era's ESPN contract. Or to the great HBO Real Sports feature on the lowly MAC and the current and coming student revolt over paying fees for sports they have no interest in.

But why bother. If you really believe our conference is "DOA", they, clearly Marshall sports are not for you. Nothing that happens will ever suit. Nothing that happens will be an accomplishment. It is just not you thing. Move on.

I could point you towards USA Today's tremendous database on college sports financing, and teach you just how subsidized the lowly MAC, even with the bygone era's ESPN contract. Or to the great HBO Real Sports feature on the lowly MAC and the current and coming student revolt over paying fees for sports they have no interest in.

But why bother. If you really believe our conference is "DOA", they, clearly Marshall sports are not for you. Nothing that happens will ever suit. Nothing that happens will be an accomplishment. It is just not you thing. Move on.
LOL! Marshall sports have not been for me since 1969. Sam, do you really feel CUSA has solid leaderhsip? That's not a smart ass question, being very serious.

If you can’t accept the fact that C-USA has been the worst FBS conference over the past few years, and you have to disparage other superior conferences to make yourself feel better about that fact, then Marshall sports are not for you.

First, you spent three years pleading to anyone who would listen that the AAC wasn’t better than C-USA. After even the biggest Shewey sucker started laughing at you, you jumped to attacking the Sun Belt. After receiving no support from that, you’ve switched to going after the MAC.

Jealousy and envy have eaten you up and turned you into the board’s biggest bitch, Samantha.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT