ADVERTISEMENT

Bowling Green State University

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Announced today they have dropped their baseball program effective immediately in order to save the athletic department money!

I was thinking about this very thing today. My money is on no. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if baseball went bye bye at Marshall.
but there must be a replacement sport. We are at the NCAA minimum. Granted they could add women's field hockey or something similar

Reactions: The Real SamC
I certainly hope baseball isn’t dropped. If it is, I will have given my last dollar to the Big Green. I made a significant, for me, pledge to Herd Rises and the baseball stadium project and have fulfilled my commitment. The stadium should have been built decades ago. As I understand it MU is at the minimum number of sports and the NCAA denied the G5 request to lower that number.

Reactions: Elkview
I certainly don't want baseball to go away. By far my favorite sport.

I really do think, though, that the new field and stadium is dead.

I certainly hope baseball isn’t dropped. If it is, I will have given my last dollar to the Big Green. I made a significant, for me, pledge to Herd Rises and the baseball stadium project and have fulfilled my commitment. The stadium should have been built decades ago. As I understand it MU is at the minimum number of sports and the NCAA denied the G5 request to lower that number.
I assume that IF the stadium is not built that all the Herd Rises money will be returned. Of course they have already spent some in the land acquisition and the ground clearing already done. Not to mention money spent to architects for the plans we have seen

Meister not sure we have to have a “replacement” sport. While there is Title IX under current conditions I think schools are going ahead and dropping certain sports to keep athletic departments afloat in spite of the law. Not sure. I’m looking into that.

Meister I did find this regarding Title
IX:
“While schools whose athletic departments do not comply with Title IX stand to lose federal funding, that has never happened, according to the Women's Sports Foundation. Instead, the Department of Education works with the schools to remedy the problem, the foundation said.

[More Maryland news] Center for the Arts in Harford County moves ahead in approval process, plans presented for community input »
A Department of Education spokesman said that while he couldn't comment on specific complaints, the agency generally "discourages the elimination of [men's] teams because it diminishes opportunities for students interested in participating in athletics, and so is contrary to the spirit of Title IX."

Reactions: Herdmeister
thanks. I just know I had always read that the NCAA required D1 schools to maintain 16 varsity sports

It's time for the NCAA and leagues to drop the number of required sports for classification in D1. They have to realize the financial drain is daunting for many schools to adhere to the requirement. Plus, to the detriment of other sports at the schools - many are just spread too thin financially.

Reactions: cottrell75
It's time for the NCAA and leagues to drop the number of required sports for classification in D1. They have to realize the financial drain is daunting for many schools to adhere to the requirement. Plus, to the detriment of other sports at the schools - many are just spread too thin financially.
They just confirmed their stand a few weeks ago when the G5 asked for that

Reactions: The Real SamC
yep, with title IX male none revenue sports are going on the chopping block...people don't understand if we don't play football in the fall college sports as we know will never be the same.
I just saw a report this morning that Ohio State will have it's football players back on campus June 8th to begin voluntary conditioning. That was announced BEFORE the NCAA gave it;s on campus plan. I assume OSU had some inside information

If MU builds a baseball stadium, fans from the tristate will be there. They don't bother now because there has been no stadium. Lots of baseball fans in the Ashland Ironton South Point Chesapeake Kenova etc. areas that love baseball.
MLB is getting ready to hack minor league teams. Is Huntington still after a minor league team?

MLB is getting ready to hack minor league teams. Is Huntington still after a minor league team?

Under the plan, the draft is being cut from 40 to 5 rounds, and every MLB team will have one AAA and AA team, and two A teams, and that is all. The short season rookie level (which plays only late June-Labor Day) is being eliminated, along with a lot of extra A teams. Of WV's teams, rookie level Bluefield and Princeton are being eliminated, along with their league. Charleston is losing its team. The strange thing is that Morgantown is being promoted for the rookie league to A. However, WVU's AD said that the (100% taxpayer funded) stadium is not for rent until the WVU season is over.

As to Huntington, the supposition is that with 100s of undrafted players floating about, more of these "unaffiliated" leagues, like the Pioneer League which has a team in Chillicothe and that the (currently a joke) level of play in them will improve.

Personally, I think MU should have the same view as WVU. No reason to share a field, not for rent until college season is over.

Of course, with Charleston losing its team, the baseball park becomes yet more of a priority. No way the Charleston city government spends any money to upkeep a park for just Marshall and some high school games.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Under the plan, the draft is being cut from 40 to 5 rounds, and every MLB team will have one AAA and AA team, and two A teams, and that is all. The short season rookie level (which plays only late June-Labor Day) is being eliminated, along with a lot of extra A teams. Of WV's teams, rookie level Bluefield and Princeton are being eliminated, along with their league. Charleston is losing its team. The strange thing is that Morgantown is being promoted for the rookie league to A. However, WVU's AD said that the (100% taxpayer funded) stadium is not for rent until the WVU season is over.

As to Huntington, the supposition is that with 100s of undrafted players floating about, more of these "unaffiliated" leagues, like the Pioneer League which has a team in Chillicothe and that the (currently a joke) level of play in them will improve.

Personally, I think MU should have the same view as WVU. No reason to share a field, not for rent until college season is over.

Of course, with Charleston losing its team, the baseball park becomes yet more of a priority. No way the Charleston city government spends any money to upkeep a park for just Marshall and some high school games.

Many Indy leagues play a better brand of ball than rookie or low A ball.

I can remember when Marshall still played here, going to see the Herd on a Sunday, and then seeing the Power on the following night. It was crazy how different they were. You go from seeing 23 year old Americans who are playing on partial scholarships just because they don't want to give up on their dream, to seeing 18 year old Dominicans who make them look like a corporate softball team, even though most of those kids will be right back home in a few years, never having sniffed the majors.

Oh, and they ain't never building that stadium. If they were before - and even that was thrown into doubt after the bid turned out to be a huge under-estimate - they definitely aren't now. Everything below G5 (and even some of P5) is headed into a territory where they will need major austerity just to keep the revenue sports functioning. Setting cash on fire for non-revenue sports is so 2019.

Reactions: cottrell75
An Indy team will be the norm moving forward. They develop the players without much expenditure from MLB clubs; then the MLB clubs draft them or sign the players to contracts if the show teams feel the kid can help them. Jmo

I would think Charleston too will go after and Indy team. There will be hundreds of free agents out there that in the past would be in the MLB draft

Perhaps MU will approach the city of Charleston about purchasing the park there "for a song" (so to speak)

Charley West will have a team in some form or fashion, they won’t sit still.

I hope Huntington can go for an independent league team like they have here in High Point.

Perhaps MU will approach the city of Charleston about purchasing the park there "for a song" (so to speak)
why would they? We didn't draw well there in the past, Great park but not many Herd fans will make the drive for any Herd sporting event in Charleston. Herd hoops has been a good example. Bad crowds for Cincinnati and Oregon.even for wvu only about 25% of the arena wore green

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Twolf I can agree 100% with you on this. We do not need to play anything in Charleston IMO.

why would they? We didn't draw well there in the past, Great park but not many Herd fans will make the drive for any Herd sporting event in Charleston. Herd hoops has been a good example. Bad crowds for Cincinnati and Oregon.even for wvu only about 25% of the arena wore green
~
It was just an "off the cuff" remark....since the bids came in much higher than anticipated....I thought, well let MU approach Charleston about purchasing their park "for a song". I don't really care about baseball anyway so I don't really care. In fact, I live in Beckley and wouldn't drive the 58 miles to watch The Herd or anyone else play (of course I didn't drive approx. 5 miles to watch MU play in Beckley either).

MU didn't draw well in Charleston for basketball games mainly because too many myopic Huntington and Cabell County folk got their feelings hurt when the Herd decided to play at the CCC. These folks selfishly look upon MU as "the Huntington school" instead of a regional State University and couldn't care less that the school was trying, perhaps, to EXPAND its support base by playing in Charleston!!

If MU fans in the Cabell-Wayne Tri State area are so concerned about MU, then about 2,000-2,500 more of them need to show up for each MU home basketball game! Instead, only about 55% of the CAM is filled for Herd home games, or about 5,400 or 5,500 fans. Even with a very popular former HERD player as the Head Coach who, according to many, can do "no wrong" and whose teams play an exciting style of ball.

Reactions: Always The Herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT