ADVERTISEMENT

Buying property

Always The Herd

Silver Buffalo
Feb 3, 2007
There is a piece of property located next to ours in a gated campground area in another county. My wife and I would like to have it. The owner is asking $21,000. He told me if I wanted it he would knock off $1,000.
~
My wife and I think it is only worth about $15,000.
~
The question I have for each of you is this: How would you "word" your conversation or written document to him? I fully understand about mentioning
other properties that have sold in the immediate area, etc.
~
I look forward to your suggestions and thoughts.

"The highest I can go is $15,000"

Then be willing to walk away. You place yourself at a disadvantage when you have to have something.

I still wonder how you are able to put your pants on each morning without the assistance of this board.

After careful and deliberate thought, I came up with this:

I can offer you 15,000.

Yeah, doesn't need to be much tact in that situation. If he knows your emotionally attached to it, he has the upper hand. A simple, "based on what similar properties in the area are going for, I can give you 15,000 for it."

He may counter with a reason why he thinks it is worth more. It may make sense, it may not. Negotiation. Don't assume "splitting the difference" is a reasonable compromise, if it's more than you want to pay. You have to be truly willing to walk away to get the best deal.

Originally posted by riflearm2:
I still wonder how you are able to put your pants on each morning without the assistance of this board.
I think we gave him a link to a youtube instructional video a few years ago.

Maybe there are those here that do not understand my dilemma.....I just don't adequately know how to approach him (either verbally or in writing).....I need your
help. Thanks!

Originally posted by Always The Herd:
Maybe there are those here that do not understand my dilemma.....I just don't adequately know how to approach him (either verbally or in writing).....I need your
help. Thanks!
We have told you. Just tell him you think 15 is a fair offer and all you have. You really don't have to dance around it. Either he will be willing to come down or if you want it bad enough you are going to end up paying what he wants. Nobody is going to be offended.

You: I'll give you $15,000
Him: How about $20,000
You: No...$15,000
Him: $18,000?
You: 15
Him: OK...$16,000....final offer.
You: $15,000
Him: Sold

Tell him you have 15 grand cash and you will close it up now.

He will take it.

Originally posted by GK4Herd:
You: I'll give you $15,000
Him: How about $20,000
You: No...$15,000
Him: $18,000?
You: 15
Him: OK...$16,000....final offer.
You: $15,000
Him: Sold
This reminds me of the negotiating scene in Bad Santa.

I believe you're overthinking it. The guy has something he wants to sell and it happens to be something you want to buy. He has an advantage because the property is next to yours and he probably knows that the value of an adjoining property is usually higher (known as the concept of assemblage in real estate). Basically, you'll be willing to pay more for the property than anyone else because it can expand your space and also block anyone undesirable from purchasing it. With that in mind, you do have to consider those same things in crafting your offer. You can stick to your guns at 15 and hope someone else won't give him 18, but if they do you have lost the opportunity to have an adjoining lot for the foreseeable future and may get a neighbor you don't want. Also, have the additional lot may increase the value of your existing property because if you go to sell you are going to be able to offer something more unique that, since it appeals to you, will also probably appeal to other buyers down the road.

I guess my advice is that you have to decide what the extra lot is really worth to you, make that value be the maximum you'll pay, and then negotiate the best you can to come in under that number. I would say look, I know other lots in here are going for 15, but I would like to just wrap this up quick so I'll give you 16 and we can close in "x" days. If he sticks to 20 don't counter back immediately, tell him if he reconsiders to give you a call. Wait a few days, tell him you spoke it over with your wife and that she agreed to go to 17, but that's all you can do. If he turns it down, tell him thanks and to keep you in mind and then just let it go for a week. After a week call him back and let him know your 17 offer still stands.

Has he approached you in the past with an offer to sell it?
Have you looked up the property tax values online/through the county records?

Originally posted by alphasig1053:
Offer him 30k and hope he is willing to take only 9k above his current price.
Yehh offering 30k gives you more room to work with.
laugh.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT