ADVERTISEMENT

Can WVU stop Villanova?

I love it when Sam is off his meds. Makes for great reading and entertainment.

Translation in to adult:

"The mean mean man said true things I don't like. I lack the intellect to refute them, so I will say 'he is off his meds', which worked in middle school."

Enjoy your ELITE programs CERTAIN run to the national championship, certain in the knowledge that all UK and KU, et al, envy you so much. It must be great to have 1000s of players lined up, and be able to turn down so many, making the settle for UNC or Duke.

Translation in to adult:

"The mean mean man said true things I don't like. I lack the intellect to refute them, so I will say 'he is off his meds', which worked in middle school."

Enjoy your ELITE programs CERTAIN run to the national championship, certain in the knowledge that all UK and KU, et al, envy you so much. It must be great to have 1000s of players lined up, and be able to turn down so many, making the settle for UNC or Duke.
Translation in to adult:

You mad bro?

I don't like wvu, but they are one of the better teams I have seen in the tournament. When they play well, they can beat anybody in the country.
I don't think the full-court press the all-game-long works against all teams. Marshall was just unprepared for that kind of defense and is new to being in the NCAA tourney. Other teams can easily find ways to beat the press that Marshall couldn't overcome. Actually Marshall could overcome the press, but they missed too many wide open shots.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I watched nova toy with Radford. Radford was no slouch this year, and it didn't matter if they played good defense, Nova was sinking everything they threw up. WVU has the defense to compete with them, I think it will be a good game.

I don't think the full-court press the all-game-long works against all teams. Marshall was just unprepared for that kind of defense and is new to being in the NCAA tourney. Other teams can easily find ways to beat the press that Marshall couldn't overcome. Actually Marshall could overcome the press, but they missed too many wide open shots.
It's more of our offense than the press. We just happened to have a game against you guys where we shot consistent. We blew many games this year where we had double digit leads. Doesn't matter who you are or who you are playing, long scoring droughts are killers and we have had plenty of them. A lot of times we either take the foot off the gas or panic and you have 4 guys standing around waiting for Carter to do something.

I'm thinking that if WVU HAS one more game in them defensively like Sunday's, they're in the final four, with 45% shooting.

If WV shoots the ball (esp Carter!) the way they did Sunday, WVU is in the regional final.

Bingo!! EERS go down 90-78. Only 7-28 from 3 land. Carter had about half of what he had against the Herd. I think they shot 3s against MU as well as they shot them all year. It's what happens at tourney time. Run into a super hot team and you're out (ask Virginia). Off your game, opponent gets you out of your game and has a good game on offense, and you are gone, like MU.

It's more of our offense than the press. We just happened to have a game against you guys where we shot consistent. We blew many games this year where we had double digit leads. Doesn't matter who you are or who you are playing, long scoring droughts are killers and we have had plenty of them. A lot of times we either take the foot off the gas or panic and you have 4 guys standing around waiting for Carter to do something.

Good analysis, wins10. Long scoring droughts are NOT just unique to Morgantown. Herd had some key losses, too, where there were long, dry spells on O, like their last one in San Diego.

We have two major colleges in the State of WV...In basketball,it is almost impossible to get McDonalds All Americans,or any other All Americans to come to our schools to play...We could have the best coaches at our schools,and it would not matter..If Coach K from Duke came to Marshall to coach,he would not get these big time kids..He would not get them to WVU either...Why the big guns stay away is a VG question,which I have no answer...Beautiful state,great people/great fans...No NBA here,maybe that`s a reason...We get 3 star kids...You get 3 star kids..The coaches have to try to get them to play like 4 & 5 stars,so that you can win 20+ games every year...That`s not easy,in any confrence...We have to be grateful for whatever each school can accomplish..Marshall fans are happy,and so are WVU`s fans..Not every state had TWO schools make the dance...But West Virginia sure did !!

GREAT POST...and makes a lot of sense!
I LOVE Marshall (a graduate BS--Jrn) and I cheer for WVU when The Herd is not involved. I wanted the Mountaineers to advance and bring a National Championship to our great state [West Virginia].

Nothing more...NOTHING LESS!

HerdZilla22 (G Sweeney) in Charlotte.

Reactions: sistersville
Nova can bang down low, they just weight roomed Marshall. Nova sends Morganhole back to country road.

Nova's Wildcats made 13 threes...and it was apparent
...the Mountaineers could not defend their 3-point shooters because of the Wildcats excellent passing ability (3-4 passes before firing in the 3-balls). Jay Wright was very complimentary of Coach Huggins & his squad for being "tough & a hard-nosed team."

Going forward...I conclude college basketball [The HERD & WVU] will be exciting in the Mountain State next season!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

I'd say WVU will be in the Final Four, especially with all the upsets that have taken place. They HAVE to be the most physical team left. On the other hand, they shot out their ass against us and may not be able to duplicate that.

It will be interesting to see what Bennett brings to the table next year. The others better get in the weight room in the morning.

Bottom line: Thanks for a great season, guys. You took us farther than we've ever been!

for wvu to make the final four, officials would have to ignore rules of play the entire game...that did not occur. they get away with tons of fouls.....but not enough to get to the final four or elite eight.

WVU men's basketball has finished ranked in the final poll(s) 20 different seasons. 10 of those seasons were before 1995, and 10 of those were after 1995. WVU basketball has finished ranked in the Top 10 eight times; six times before 1995, and twice afterwards.

Just like basketball, WVU football has finished ranked in the final poll(s) 20 times. 12 of those seasons were before 1995, 8 seasons after 1995. WVU football has finished ranked in the Top 10 six times; 3 times before 1995 and 3 times after.

2 points:
1) I don't know of any WVU fans who consider WVU to be among the "elite" in either sport. (And I doubt that you do, either, but it's one of your favorite straw men.)
2) To totally dismiss WVU's pre-1995 sports history is just plain ignorant.

and yet every year their season ends like 99% of other D1 teams.....with a big L. I have to admit, the double digit loss to Nova was not as enjoyable as last years loss to Gonzaga when they ran around like clowns and couldn't get off the three on the final possession.

Reactions: The Real SamC
How did the double digit loss for the Herd make you feel?

I was still riding that Wichita high and enjoying San Diego....being a realist, I thought an L was likely. That's what you should have thought before the Nova game. But congrats! you beat Marshall and Murray St.

Reactions: Herd Fever
I was still riding that Wichita high and enjoying San Diego....being a realist, I thought an L was likely. That's what you should have thought before the Nova game. But congrats! you beat Marshall and Murray St.
Hey they have zero more national championships than Marshall. We had a hell of season. I enjoyed it.

Marshall got killed and were no match for wv. Not even close. Herd fans talking like the herd advanced and not wv. Huggy could have hung a 100 on the herd easily.

for wvu to make the final four, officials would have to ignore rules of play the entire game...that did not occur. they get away with tons of fouls.....but not enough to get to the final four or elite eight.
Boy that's false and you are just plain stupid. Your so jealous u make me sick.

you are an idiot.
You are so jealous of wv that u say what u wish were true and not what's true. Let me quess, U think the wv and herd game was closer than the score. I was more for Marshall than u I just don't hate wv

you are an idiot.
I might be mu88 but hating every school other than Marshall is the same thing. Either way its a head problem.u related to Aaron Perkins? He named family members after herd players and included herd football in his wedding vows and has worn green 2054 days in a road. He drinks the kool aid and sees marshall as ESPN sees Alabama. So if your shooting for the herd top super fan just hating everybody else is not enough. AP is the number one fan in huntington by a mile.

I might be mu88 but hating every school other than Marshall is the same thing. Either way its a head problem.u related to Aaron Perkins? He named family members after herd players and included herd football in his wedding vows and has worn green 2054 days in a road. He drinks the kool aid and sees marshall as ESPN sees Alabama. So if your shooting for the herd top super fan just hating everybody else is not enough. AP is the number one fan in huntington by a mile.

you may be the biggest idiot on this board. hate every school other than Marshall? geez, stay away from your wife's paint cans...you are more stupid than normal lately.

Boy You should talk. Sniffing paint? What are you 12. If you have not read how many herd fans only watch Marshall then your not understanding the silly myth that hovers over little Detroit. Pay attention. Listen and keep your mouth shut or I will put knots so high on your head they will have snow on top of them. Lol or I will sic rifle on you
It's all in fun 88.

Last edited:
Everything. WVU's fan base has predicted about 500 of the last zero national championships won by WVU (football as well as basketball).

Villanova has been there before. It is an elite program. That is the big issue with WVU's fan base. You lack the ability, or perhaps the desire, to distinguish "your" accomplishments, coaches, and players, from the programs to which you aggrandize yourselves. WVU fans that I encounter, on line and in person, and on Crap-ridi's idiot show (newsflash: he knows better and is laughing at you) mostly engage one another in a giant self-sustaining circular delusion.

Reality. WVU has a nice basketball program. If they played MU every year, they would win 9 out of 10. It is not Kentucky, or Kansas, or even Villanova. It can have a nice run, Sweet Sixteen, maybe a little more, but that is all it is. Huggins is not a "HOF coach". None of the recruits are playing at their first, or, 15th, choice. Your are not special. You are Texas A&M or Minnesota. WVU has a nice football program. If they played MU every year, they might win all 10. It is not Alabama, or Ohio State, or even Auburn. Holgerson is a mediocre coach that will never leave because he will never do enough to get a sniff from a larger program and, in the league he is in, cannot help but win enough to never get fired. Nobody is a "favorite for the Heisman", nobody is "a lock for the first round". It is a nice assembly of kids, all of whom would play for bigger teams in bigger leagues, if they were good enough. It is NC State, or Georgia Tech, Purdue, or Ole Miss.

And that is fine. It is great. Enjoy. There is nothing wrong with being a yearly tournament second weeker and playing in a post Christmas bowl 4 years out of 5. But spare everyone else your delusion that it is more than that.
I didn't go to WVU, Sam, but you are selling them short. They have been to a Final 4 in modern times. They have also won a Peach, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange bowl with the Orange Bowl win being the most lopsided win in the history of bowl games. They definitely have the potential to go all the way.

They aren't Alabama, you're right there, but they can be contenders in any given year. They have a highly successful athletic program.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I didn't go to WVU

Yeah we figured that out. It is not hard. I've lived in this state a long time, and it does not take me 90 seconds of converstation, in person or on line, to distinguish between a WVU alumni sports fan and a WVU Wal-Mart sports fan.

They definitely have the potential to go all the way.

Because the non-alumni are the ones that say, and, more is the pity, ACTUALLY BELIEVE, stupid things like that.

BTW, you do know this thread is about a basketball game played six weeks ago, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT