ADVERTISEMENT

Can WVU stop Villanova?

Dont think so. Nova has been there before. I think they beat the eers. If WVU somehow beats Nova I think they can win the tourney.

Reactions: putnam green
of course WVU can stop Nova. WVU has one of the best defenses in the country and can score some points. Will WVU win? we will see

Yeah, but just about anyone that they face from here on has been there also. Also, the EERS won't face another team who matches up as badly with their physicality overall than we did Sunday. Anyone watch the Texas A&M beat down of UNC? They, including their bigs, are long, physical and talented. Konate will NOT overpower them on the inside and in the lane like he did us tonight!

Reactions: horsrman
I'd say WVU will be in the Final Four, especially with all the upsets that have taken place. They HAVE to be the most physical team left. On the other hand, they shot out their ass against us and may not be able to duplicate that.

It will be interesting to see what Bennett brings to the table next year. The others better get in the weight room in the morning.

Bottom line: Thanks for a great season, guys. You took us farther than we've ever been!

What does that have to do with anything?

They didn't say nova has won a championship. They said nova has been here before. This team has been to sweet 16s before too. 3 in the last 4 years. Program has been to 7 in the last 13. Been to elite 8's and a final four in recent years too.

Don't be so butt hurt about last night. Not a good look. You guys had a season to remember.

WVU can beat Villanova. Battle tested in the Big 12 , beat UVA and came back from 18 down in Orlando to beat Missouri. Yes, they can but it should be a great game between too old rivals.

The Herd won 25, hangs a CUSA Banner and a NCAA 2018 one too. Got the monkey off their back on not having ever won an NCAA Tourney Game with a win over the 11th ranked team while getting a good paycheck and good publicity in the process. Should have the whole team back next year plus 2 bigs added. Dan has them going in the right direction. Reflect on all the positives of this season and not a last loss. Every team but one will end their season with a loss. It was a great season for the Herd - enjoy it and look forward to next year. Gooo Herd !

What does that have to do with anything?

Everything. WVU's fan base has predicted about 500 of the last zero national championships won by WVU (football as well as basketball).

Villanova has been there before. It is an elite program. That is the big issue with WVU's fan base. You lack the ability, or perhaps the desire, to distinguish "your" accomplishments, coaches, and players, from the programs to which you aggrandize yourselves. WVU fans that I encounter, on line and in person, and on Crap-ridi's idiot show (newsflash: he knows better and is laughing at you) mostly engage one another in a giant self-sustaining circular delusion.

Reality. WVU has a nice basketball program. If they played MU every year, they would win 9 out of 10. It is not Kentucky, or Kansas, or even Villanova. It can have a nice run, Sweet Sixteen, maybe a little more, but that is all it is. Huggins is not a "HOF coach". None of the recruits are playing at their first, or, 15th, choice. Your are not special. You are Texas A&M or Minnesota. WVU has a nice football program. If they played MU every year, they might win all 10. It is not Alabama, or Ohio State, or even Auburn. Holgerson is a mediocre coach that will never leave because he will never do enough to get a sniff from a larger program and, in the league he is in, cannot help but win enough to never get fired. Nobody is a "favorite for the Heisman", nobody is "a lock for the first round". It is a nice assembly of kids, all of whom would play for bigger teams in bigger leagues, if they were good enough. It is NC State, or Georgia Tech, Purdue, or Ole Miss.

And that is fine. It is great. Enjoy. There is nothing wrong with being a yearly tournament second weeker and playing in a post Christmas bowl 4 years out of 5. But spare everyone else your delusion that it is more than that.

Reactions: putnam green
Everything. WVU's fan base has predicted about 500 of the last zero national championships won by WVU (football as well as basketball).

Villanova has been there before. It is an elite program. That is the big issue with WVU's fan base. You lack the ability, or perhaps the desire, to distinguish "your" accomplishments, coaches, and players, from the programs to which you aggrandize yourselves. WVU fans that I encounter, on line and in person, and on Crap-ridi's idiot show (newsflash: he knows better and is laughing at you) mostly engage one another in a giant self-sustaining circular delusion.

Reality. WVU has a nice basketball program. If they played MU every year, they would win 9 out of 10. It is not Kentucky, or Kansas, or even Villanova. It can have a nice run, Sweet Sixteen, maybe a little more, but that is all it is. Huggins is not a "HOF coach". None of the recruits are playing at their first, or, 15th, choice. Your are not special. You are Texas A&M or Minnesota. WVU has a nice football program. If they played MU every year, they might win all 10. It is not Alabama, or Ohio State, or even Auburn. Holgerson is a mediocre coach that will never leave because he will never do enough to get a sniff from a larger program and, in the league he is in, cannot help but win enough to never get fired. Nobody is a "favorite for the Heisman", nobody is "a lock for the first round". It is a nice assembly of kids, all of whom would play for bigger teams in bigger leagues, if they were good enough. It is NC State, or Georgia Tech, Purdue, or Ole Miss.

And that is fine. It is great. Enjoy. There is nothing wrong with being a yearly tournament second weeker and playing in a post Christmas bowl 4 years out of 5. But spare everyone else your delusion that it is more than that.

Texas A&M or Minnesota are literally nowhere close to us in terms of basketball pedigree. Huggins will be in the HOF, he will pass Bobby Knight in 3 years if we win 20 games for the next 3 years for all time wins and get it done in less seasons, and even if he doesn't being Bobby Knight's neighborhood on that list guarantees a HOF bid.

Yes we are not any of the 3 programs you mentioned but you are claiming all WVU fans are on the far homer end of the spectrum while you are on the opposite end of said spectrum. We do have a nice program, we do have a solid history. We lack history at the top tier of the sport (no NCs, only 2 Final Fours), but we have traditionally been a top 35ish program and experiencing a peak under Huggins that has boosted us to top 25ish. Texas A&M and Minnesota do not combine for the amount of NCAA bids or even our meager number of Final Fours.

Get a snickers.

We did great. Won a game in the tournament.....first in school history. WVU spends a lot of money on basketball. We don’t have that kind of money. It’s not even remotely close. Enjoy the ride....remember this is hard to sustain. Possible Elmore to Ohio State.

Reactions: wharf

Huggs will be in the HOF, that's a given

Football, we've had like 4 1st round picks in the last 6 years lol

what a dumb post

I hope WVU wins it all. Their players are talented enough, and their coach has been there in pressure situations. It would be great for the state and the 1st Division I National Championship ever. It says something about how hard it is to win it all when the Jerry West-led squad came up just short 50+ years ago,
So very proud of our guys! Go Herd!!!!

Bobby Knight's neighborhood

Yeah, when I think of Bobby Knight, the next guy in my mind is Bob Huggins. It is truly laughable that someone would mention a man who won an NCAA championship as a player, three as a coach, 11 Big 10 championships, an NIT, and gold medals in both the Pan-Am games and the Olympics (and a great patriot) with a mid-major player, and then journeyman coach with one major conference championship, and zero national championships.

That is the kind of "well we are just like ...." stupidity that makes everyone laugh at you.

...but we have traditionally been a top 35ish program and experiencing a peak under Huggins that has boosted us to top 25ish.

There are two ways to look at this. Define "traditionally". I know being a WVU fan requires one to pretty much forget everything that happened more than a few years ago, because this year's delusion often contradicts last year's, but here goes.

This is the league WVU spent most of the 50s and 60s in. VMI, George Washington, Richmond, William & Mary, Citadel, Davidson, Furman. Yeah, WVU had a once in a generation run in the West era, but really? Top 35ish? VMI. Citadel. Furman.

This is the league WVU spent the 70s , 80s, and half of the 90s in. Rutgers, Duquesne, George Washington, UMass, St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island, Temple, St. Joseph's. Top 35 ish? St. Joe's. Rutgers. Duquesne.

(And the WVU media throughout that whole era was saying the same things it says today. Which is why no one takes it seriously. Rutgers. St. Bonaventure. Citadel.)

So, reality brings us to the unescapable conclusion that, in fact, WVU was a mid-major until football dragged it into the old Big East in 1995. Not "traditionally top 35ish". A mid-major playing Citadel, St. Bonaventure, Rutgers, and Richmond. (And, BTW, there is nothing wrong with that. But back then, as now, the lap dog media was saying stupid s*** that no thinking person could believe.)

So, let us look at 1995 to date. 20 plus years as a true major. WVU basketball has improved greatly in the last 20 ish years. It has reached heights I never thought it would. Coming from a mid-major league, it has won one conference championship, which is to say the same number as Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Miami, or Colorado in the same period of time) It has made, and lost Final Fours. Just like Minnesota, UMass, Stanford, Illinois, Wichita State, and Pitt in the same era.

Top 25ish? Laughable. A nice solid program. Capable of going to the second weekend several years. Even of losing a national semi-final now and then. But really tell me who would rank below WVU in the era since it moved from a mid-major league (1995). Duke? Villanova? UNC? Kansas? Kentucky? Louisville? Syracuse? Ohio State? Michigan? Michigan State? Memphis? Arizona? UConn? Indiana? Purdue? Virginia? Maryland? Gonzaga? Georgetown? Oklahoma? Notre Dame? UCLA? Florida? NC State? Wisconsin? Kansas State? Texas?

Please. WVU is at its peak in basketball right now. A peak I never saw coming. It is, and should be, light years ahead of Marshall. But don't make yourself look foolish with aggrandations to a status that simple facts belie.

You ain't Kentucky. You ain't even Tennessee. You ain't UNC. You ain't even NC State. You ain't Michigan. You ain't even Wisconsin. You ain't Arizona. You ain't even Oregon. and you ain't Kansas. You ain't even Texas.

Yeah, when I think of Bobby Knight, the next guy in my mind is Bob Huggins. It is truly laughable that someone would mention a man who won an NCAA championship as a player, three as a coach, 11 Big 10 championships, an NIT, and gold medals in both the Pan-Am games and the Olympics (and a great patriot) with a mid-major player, and then journeyman coach with one major conference championship, and zero national championships.

That is the kind of "well we are just like ...." stupidity that makes everyone laugh at you.

There are two ways to look at this. Define "traditionally". I know being a WVU fan requires one to pretty much forget everything that happened more than a few years ago, because this year's delusion often contradicts last year's, but here goes.

This is the league WVU spent most of the 50s and 60s in. VMI, George Washington, Richmond, William & Mary, Citadel, Davidson, Furman. Yeah, WVU had a once in a generation run in the West era, but really? Top 35ish? VMI. Citadel. Furman.

This is the league WVU spent the 70s , 80s, and half of the 90s in. Rutgers, Duquesne, George Washington, UMass, St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island, Temple, St. Joseph's. Top 35 ish? St. Joe's. Rutgers. Duquesne.

(And the WVU media throughout that whole era was saying the same things it says today. Which is why no one takes it seriously. Rutgers. St. Bonaventure. Citadel.)

So, reality brings us to the unescapable conclusion that, in fact, WVU was a mid-major until football dragged it into the old Big East in 1995. Not "traditionally top 35ish". A mid-major playing Citadel, St. Bonaventure, Rutgers, and Richmond. (And, BTW, there is nothing wrong with that. But back then, as now, the lap dog media was saying stupid s*** that no thinking person could believe.)

So, let us look at 1995 to date. 20 plus years as a true major. WVU basketball has improved greatly in the last 20 ish years. It has reached heights I never thought it would. Coming from a mid-major league, it has won one conference championship, which is to say the same number as Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Miami, or Colorado in the same period of time) It has made, and lost Final Fours. Just like Minnesota, UMass, Stanford, Illinois, Wichita State, and Pitt in the same era.

Top 25ish? Laughable. A nice solid program. Capable of going to the second weekend several years. Even of losing a national semi-final now and then. But really tell me who would rank below WVU in the era since it moved from a mid-major league (1995). Duke? Villanova? UNC? Kansas? Kentucky? Louisville? Syracuse? Ohio State? Michigan? Michigan State? Memphis? Arizona? UConn? Indiana? Purdue? Virginia? Maryland? Gonzaga? Georgetown? Oklahoma? Notre Dame? UCLA? Florida? NC State? Wisconsin? Kansas State? Texas?

Please. WVU is at its peak in basketball right now. A peak I never saw coming. It is, and should be, light years ahead of Marshall. But don't make yourself look foolish with aggrandations to a status that simple facts belie.

You ain't Kentucky. You ain't even Tennessee. You ain't UNC. You ain't even NC State. You ain't Michigan. You ain't even Wisconsin. You ain't Arizona. You ain't even Oregon. and you ain't Kansas. You ain't even Texas.
And who are you? Besides a jealous asshole.

The way the games are going this year, I wouldn't bet against anybody beating someone else.

Craziest tournament I have ever seen.

For Sure......my bracket looks worse than Charles Barkley's. I've watched WV play a lot of games this year on ESPN. I had a phone call from my home town this morning from a high school friend (he's a WVU fan)......he agreed the Mounties shot the 3-ball against The HERD much better than he has seen this season. The HERD was out manned and when Williams went out, I felt we were in big trouble. Jevon Carter said it best..."We are not like Wichita State---we can play big or small...fast or slow."

I will be rooting for a home state team to wear the CROWN. Go eers. Beat Nova.

HerdZilla22

Last edited:
We did great. Won a game in the tournament.....first in school history. WVU spends a lot of money on basketball. We don’t have that kind of money. It’s not even remotely close. Enjoy the ride....remember this is hard to sustain. Possible Elmore to Ohio State.

Possible Elmore to Ohio State?
I dislike anything about the CHEATeyes from Columbus. What is this
all about? I doubt Jon would go there. Why is this being a question? Should he become a player there...I WILL NEVER SUPPORT HIM.

HerdZilla22

Nice book. Didn't read.

Reactions: HerdFan76

1. Pulling from context on the Bobby Knight comment, since were generalizing now I will say that this is every Marshall fan's favorite argument strategy. Bobby Knight's neighborhood in terms of all time wins at what everyone will agree are significantly lesser programs than IU in Cincy and WVU. Huggins never got the keys (or asked for them) to a blue blood so he does arguably get a pass for his lack of championships and Final Fours. Huggins is not Knight, but his career win pct and all time wins stacked up against the all time greats is what it is, the strength of that metric alone will carry him to the Hall.

2. I'm not walking through every decade of basketball with you. Before Beilein/Huggins we sat at what would presently be around 50th in NCAA bids, I'm not working backwards to see where we were back in the early 00s, but if you pencil us in for an 0-fer during the entire Beilein/Huggs era (a near impossibility) we would be a top 50ish program presently, so no I'm not wrong saying we were a top 35ish program back in the early 00s. If you take out the best decade of pretty much every non blue blood program their history of course looks much bleaker, but since it fits your narrative of WVU basketball you choose to dismiss our best era and highlight our low points. I'm fully aware that we are not a blue blood. But to sit there and say a program like Oregon and their 17 NCAA bids is better than us because of some 1930something natty is laughable and reeks of jealousy.

FYI North Carolina ( Yes, UNC from the ACC with all their phony transcripts and phantom courses taken) are 0-5 all time versus WVU.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
There are two ways to look at this. Define "traditionally". I know being a WVU fan requires one to pretty much forget everything that happened more than a few years ago, because this year's delusion often contradicts last year's, but here goes.......So, reality brings us to the unescapable conclusion that, in fact, WVU was a mid-major until football dragged it into the old Big East in 1995. Not "traditionally top 35ish". A mid-major playing Citadel, St. Bonaventure, Rutgers, and Richmond. (And, BTW, there is nothing wrong with that. But back then, as now, the lap dog media was saying stupid s*** that no thinking person could believe.) So, let us look at 1995 to date. 20 plus years as a true major.
WVU men's basketball has finished ranked in the final poll(s) 20 different seasons. 10 of those seasons were before 1995, and 10 of those were after 1995. WVU basketball has finished ranked in the Top 10 eight times; six times before 1995, and twice afterwards.

Just like basketball, WVU football has finished ranked in the final poll(s) 20 times. 12 of those seasons were before 1995, 8 seasons after 1995. WVU football has finished ranked in the Top 10 six times; 3 times before 1995 and 3 times after.

2 points:
1) I don't know of any WVU fans who consider WVU to be among the "elite" in either sport. (And I doubt that you do, either, but it's one of your favorite straw men.)
2) To totally dismiss WVU's pre-1995 sports history is just plain ignorant.

"Been here before" was what the man said..... we've been here many times. In fact, been there more than Nova the last several years.

If "won national championships before" was what he said, you might make a little bit of sense.

But nah, all I hear from you is....

giphy.gif

We have two major colleges in the State of WV...In basketball,it is almost impossible to get McDonalds All Americans,or any other All Americans to come to our schools to play...We could have the best coaches at our schools,and it would not matter..If Coach K from Duke came to Marshall to coach,he would not get these big time kids..He would not get them to WVU either...Why the big guns stay away is a VG question,which I have no answer...Beautiful state,great people/great fans...No NBA here,maybe that`s a reason...We get 3 star kids...You get 3 star kids..The coaches have to try to get them to play like 4 & 5 stars,so that you can win 20+ games every year...That`s not easy,in any confrence...We have to be grateful for whatever each school can accomplish..Marshall fans are happy,and so are WVU`s fans..Not every state had TWO schools make the dance...But West Virginia sure did !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT