ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Tacy

Also didn’t realize the the Marquette game was the 2nd night in a row of playing. We had defeated Wisconsin on Monday 12/27/71. Was this a tournament hosted by Marquette similar to the MMI?

It was a yearly tournament and when Marshall beat Wisconsin, it was the first time Wisconsin and Marquette hadn't met in the finals.

McQuire didn't like Tacy. After the game, he call him a "fake." Made me lose a lot of respect for McGuire.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It was a yearly tournament and when Marshall beat Wisconsin, it was the first time Wisconsin and Marquette hadn't met in the finals.

McQuire didn't like Tacy. After the game, he call him a "fake." Made me lose a lot of respect for McGuire.
I lost all respect for him when he called me a 3 other WV writers F'n hillbilies

Reactions: greengeezer
What if I told you I just watched the game?
No, it doesn’t include footage of the huddle play, and when the horn sounds, (well, there isn’t any sound!) you see McGuire long striding towards our bench...

exsid - did we bring our cheerleaders for this tourney?

Last edited:

I know I watched both the Wisconsin and Marquette games live, but I don't remember anything other than we beat Wisconsin and lost to Marquette.

How do I know I watched them? I was home on break from Marshall and my parent's TV lineup didn't include WSAZ where the games were to be shown. No cable in those days, just the old fashion antenna.

I had received a battery powered black and white Panasonic TV for Christmas, took it with me to the highest mountain I could find in the county, and watched both games sitting in my car.

Geezer - I was looking for more info on the game, and stumbled onto the Marquette library site. Lo & behold, someone had the foresight to digitize the original 16(?) mm film. It is b&w, no sound & pretty good quality camera work for that time period. The contact I worked with to get the link said it is only for personal use.....so I am personally using this to give geezer, Duke, Sam, ex & ‘Meister something to rekindle old memories. I won’t comment on the game....yet. btw - when the camera flashes to the scoreboard, Warriors on the left, Herd on the right.
https://marq.sharepoint.com/:v:/s/r...9Dh7r1V-Vw5SIBavoA4SvVC-59U24i7XV-hQ?e=E8oggi

Oh, & also - watching the reaction of their players and fans, you’d have thought they just won the Natty!

Last edited:
No, it doesn’t include footage of the huddle play, and when the horn sounds, (well, there isn’t any sound!) you see McGuire long striding towards our bench...

exsid - did we bring our cheerleaders for this tourney?
as I recall, we did NOT have any cheerleaders. I know I stayed in the team hotel and there were no cheerleaders there

as I recall, we did NOT have any cheerleaders. I know I stayed in the team hotel and there were no cheerleaders there
There are cheerleaders on the left baseline that seem to be reacting to us when we score...could be a local high school group brought in for the atmosphere....

There are cheerleaders on the left baseline that seem to be reacting to us when we score...could be a local high school group brought in for the atmosphere....
That was a long time ago. My memory could be off on this one

Geezer - I was looking for more info on the game, and stumbled onto the Marquette library site. Lo & behold, someone had the foresight to digitize the original 16(?) mm film. It is b&w, no sound & pretty good quality camera work for that time period. The contact I worked with to get the link said it is only for personal use.....so I am personally using this to give geezer, Duke, Sam, ex & ‘Meister something to rekindle old memories. I won’t comment on the game....yet. btw - when the camera flashes to the scoreboard, Warriors on the left, Herd on the right.
https://marq.sharepoint.com/:v:/s/r...9Dh7r1V-Vw5SIBavoA4SvVC-59U24i7XV-hQ?e=E8oggi

Oh, & also - watching the reaction of their players and fans, you’d have thought they just won the Natty!
Thanks for sharing this. I was 7 years old but these guys (Dantoni, Lee and Knoll) were my childhood heroes. My first ever Marshall game was that year and I was hooked for life!

Thanks for sharing this. I was 7 years old but these guys (Dantoni, Lee and Knoll) were my childhood heroes. My first ever Marshall game was that year and I was hooked for life!
Me too Island! I turned 12 before the season, and just couldn’t get enough Herd. My initial post-viewing observations:
We played a full court (?) zone trap defense about 70-75% of the game! Pretty damn effective too. Marquette did as well. Their bigs just had a definite size/reach on our guys...
Noll was a big mismatch for them. I didn’t count, but he had to be our top scorer. Russell was a very good rebounder, with a decent mid-range jumper. Mike was Mike, although I suspect he would be the 1st to admit not his best game offensively. Jon Elmore would have had a field day! Neither team shot that well from distance; I hate to admit snot-nosed Ally McGuire did the best of the bunch. We played 7 guys, with Driscoll and Billy James in & out of the lineup. Strange to watch the old rules play out: jump balls to start both halves, jump circle balls on either end when there was a tie-up. No shot clock, although both teams operated in a 30 second possession until Marquette held onto the ball late a bit. We were kind of wild, but our pressure definitely got to them in the 2nd half.
I guess there were a couple of bad calls late, and to their credit they made their free-throws. 70-63 with about 2 mins left, and we went on a tear late w/in 2, 72-70 & 74-72 (final score) Their fans went wild at the end! McGuire can be seen walking towards our bench to make his infamous statement, but the camera stays mid court. Other thoughts after watching?

Me too Island! I turned 12 before the season, and just couldn’t get enough Herd. My initial post-viewing observations:
We played a full court (?) zone trap defense about 70-75% of the game! Pretty damn effective too. Marquette did as well. Their bigs just had a definite size/reach on our guys...
Noll was a big mismatch for them. I didn’t count, but he had to be our top scorer. Russell was a very good rebounder, with a decent mid-range jumper. Mike was Mike, although I suspect he would be the 1st to admit not his best game offensively. Jon Elmore would have had a field day! Neither team shot that well from distance; I hate to admit snot-nosed Ally McGuire did the best of the bunch. We played 7 guys, with Driscoll and Billy James in & out of the lineup. Strange to watch the old rules play out: jump balls to start both halves, jump circle balls on either end when there was a tie-up. No shot clock, although both teams operated in a 30 second possession until Marquette held onto the ball late a bit. We were kind of wild, but our pressure definitely got to them in the 2nd half.
I guess there were a couple of bad calls late, and to their credit they made their free-throws. 70-63 with about 2 mins left, and we went on a tear late w/in 2, 72-70 & 74-72 (final score) Their fans went wild at the end! McGuire can be seen walking towards our bench to make his infamous statement, but the camera stays mid court. Other thoughts after watching?
First thing was the full court defense. It was harassing. I remember Huckaby bringing full court defense his first year. Russell Lee was a great all around player. And Marquette kept trying to double team Mike and he would fly by them. Was quicker than I thought.

Marquette spent most of that season ranked 2nd in the country.....behind? UCLA, who had Walton during that time. I will give our guys credit: They had to have been in great shape! A ton of energy expended on both ends of the court....

Also didn’t realize the the Marquette game was the 2nd night in a row of playing. We had defeated Wisconsin on Monday 12/27/71. Was this a tournament hosted by Marquette similar to the MMI?
It was the Milwaukee Classic. Mike D hit a jumper to win the game over Wisconsin.

Carl's best move was to play Russell starting in a high post with his back to the basket. The full court pressure was zone, and we really worked hard on getting defensive rebounds, hitting the outlets near the halfcourt sidelines and then back to the middle. No 3-point shot and no shot clock made games vary from shootouts to almost stall-ball. You can search and find some film from the LIU game on facebook. IOt was their film. At one point they just pass the ball back and forth out front, our zone (mainly Mike as the 1 in 1-2-2 zone) just moved back and forth with them.

McGuire made his statement to the 4 of us (WV writers) at the post game press conference. He asked "what are you f'ing hillibillies doing in here? Get back to the hills"

Here's the huddle play story. Marquette would turn the lights off and use a spotlight during the starting lineups. No one shook hands before a game back then. Marquette started doing it. One team they played actually had small packs of mustard in their hands, so when the Marquette players shook hands, they got the mustard pack --- for being "hot dogs." It was a different world back then. So in the hotel room that afternoon Carl asked if anyone had any idea to get us some sort of psychological edge. I told him I remember a high school football game when we were beating a team pretty bad. On one of our kickoffs, they went into a huddle and never moved for a few seconds. Then they all broke out acting like they had the ball. So I suggested that rather than returning to the bench after we were announced first, everyone on the bench go out on the floor and form a huddle. When Marquettes players were announced, they ran over to the huddle, tried to find someone to shake hands with...and McGuire got really pissed.

Back in those days the Herd more often than not managed to get into a neutral site or so quality in season tournament against some "name" Big time foes. I remember one year we were in a tournament in El Paso when the Miners were still pretty big not all that many years after they had beaten UK for all the marbles. IIRC, we beat Texas A&M in one of the games. Anyone recall year we went to a tourney in Vegas and beat Clemson before falling to John Thompson's Georgetown Hoyas in the championship game? In Greg White's years we played in the then prestigious UKIT in Lexington, KY. Greg's Herd somehow managed to lose to a so-so George Washington squad in game one and then lost to the Wildcats, who had been upset in the first round, in the consolation game. Can't remember the 4th team in that tourney. Heck I'd settle for playing in another tourney like one of Danny's early teams, in James Kelly's season, out west where we beat Wyoming and then lost to Grand Canyon U. in the championship match. All these are a lot better exposure, not to mention better for the team's strength of schedule, than the yearly "tourney" we're stuck with now where we play basically three nondescript "who dat" teams from the MEAC, etc., at home. Then we go on the road to play a major foe as basically another sacrificial lamb.

Last edited:
Here's the finale to the Marquette story. Sports Illustrated back then ran a weekly feature in the magazine about college basketball. They would have a lead story about one team and then a recap of games from the past week. The stories that year were written by Curry Kirkpatrick. He came to the Milwaukee Classic to write the story that week about Marquette. After the game, I talked Carl into letting him into our locker room. That week's story ended up being about us. Somewhere in my files I think I have the article. I will try to find it. I don't think Kirkpatrick like how McGuire acted, and besides, we were a better story.

I think those are our cheerleaders. May have been half of their squad as I think we often only brought half the cheer squad to some away games, if we brought any at all. One other memory from the Classic was that everyone in the official travel party got a gift, a clock radio. I used that thing for about another 20 years!

My next target? Danny’s Herd taking on the Big “E” and the Cougars when they were ranked(?) #1. I always thought the game was played in MSG, but looks like we traveled to Houston...anybody have ideas? 1968?

My next target? Danny’s Herd taking on the Big “E” and the Cougars when they were ranked(?) #1. I always thought the game was played in MSG, but looks like we traveled to Houston...anybody have ideas? 1968?
It was MSG. Houston had beaten UCLA earlier to take over the number 1 spot in the polls. It was a great game. We lost 102-93. It was televised and NY fans were cheering us on.

Back in those days the Herd more often than not managed to get into a neutral site or so quality in season tournament against some "name" Big time foes. I remember one year we were in a tournament in El Paso when the Miners were still pretty big not all that many years after they had beaten UK for all the marbles. IIRC, we beat Texas A&M in one of the games. Anyone recall year we went to a tourney in Vegas and beat Clemson before falling to John Thompson's Georgetown Hoyas in the championship game? In Greg White's years we played in the then prestigious UKIT in Lexington, KY. Greg's Herd somehow managed to lose to a so-so George Washington squad in game one and then lost to the Wildcats, who had been upset in the first round, in the consolation game. Can't remember the 4th team in that tourney. Heck I'd settle for playing in another tourney like one of Danny's early teams, in James Kelly's season, out west where we beat Wyoming and then lost to Grand Canyon U. in the championship match. All these are a lot better exposure, not to mention better for the team's strength of schedule, than the yearly "tourney" we're stuck with now where we play basically three nondescript "who dat" teams from the MEAC, etc., at home. Then we go on the road to play a major foe as basically another sacrificial lamb.
I was in Vegas for the tournament with UNLV, Georgetown and Clemson. Harvey and Horace Grant were on that Clemson team we beat. One highlight was David Wade dunking over Ewing. At the time it was obvious that Ewing didn't realize Wade was left handed. He was defending the right hand and David sneaked it in on him with the left hand

Last edited:
It was MSG. Houston had beaten UCLA earlier to take over the number 1 spot in the polls. It was a great game. We lost 102-93. It was televised and NY fans were cheering us on.
I just looked it up & your recall is spot-on! Unique that we played them 10 days after the “Game of the Century” & gave them such a battle in NYC is incredible to me! That game had to have been scheduled 1-2 years prior? They obliterated most of their schedule, so to lose by single digits is remarkable. Hope I can find it...any suggestions?
Starting PG? DD....

Houston defeated UCLA in the Astrodome in what was the first national telecast of a college basketball. Hard to wrap your mind around that if you’re under the age of 60. UCLA played that night with an injured Alcindor who had an eye injury and was really hampered. Two months later they ran Houston out of the building in the national semi final.
UCLA went on to blow out unc-cheat in the finals.

Houston defeated UCLA in the Astrodome in what was the first national telecast of a college basketball. Hard to wrap your mind around that if you’re under the age of 60. UCLA played that night with an injured Alcindor who had an eye injury and was really hampered. Two months later they ran Houston out of the building in the national semi final.
UCLA went on to blow out unc-cheat in the finals.
Duke - I guess the biggest headline from tGotC was the snapping of UCLA’s 80-something game winning streak!!
? - who would have broadcast the UH vs MU game from MSG??

I just looked it up & your recall is spot-on! Unique that we played them 10 days after the “Game of the Century” & gave them such a battle in NYC is incredible to me! That game had to have been scheduled 1-2 years prior? They obliterated most of their schedule, so to lose by single digits is remarkable. Hope I can find it...any suggestions?
Starting PG? DD....
Stone, Redd, Allen, Davidson, D. D'antoni. Iron Man Five.

Duke - I guess the biggest headline from tGotC was the snapping of UCLA’s 80-something game winning streak!!
? - who would have broadcast the UH vs MU game from MSG??

Couple of things.
* UCLA didn’t have the 88 game winning streak when they lost to UH.
* Games were locally or regionally syndicated i e the ACC games every Saturday afternoon on channel 8.
The Astrodome game was the first to be nationally syndicated and viewed coast to coast.

I’m guessing MSG productions syndicated the game and sold it regionally, Texas, WV, etc.

Last edited:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9btyitnbzobhdtz/2020-04-13 00.13.31.pdf?dl=0
Houston Beats Marshall, 102-93, and Army Routs N. Y. U., 75-51, at Garden; HAYES OF COUGARS TALLIES 39 POINTS Houston Wins 21st Straight Before 8,606 -- Cadets Gain 14th Victory of Season

By Deane McGowen

Last edited:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9btyitnbzobhdtz/2020-04-13 00.13.31.pdf?dl=0
Houston Beats Marshall, 102-93, and Army Routs N. Y. U., 75-51, at Garden; HAYES OF COUGARS TALLIES 39 POINTS Houston Wins 21st Straight Before 8,606 -- Cadets Gain 14th Victory of Season

By Deane McGowen

• Feb. 2, 1968
  • DD’Antoni(e)!! 21 pts! Redd led with 25, Stone tallied 22, Allen 13 & Davidson / Ricky Hall each w/6.
  • Easy to keep score: #of field goals / ftm/fta = total points. Down 9 at the half. Got to w/in 4 late. Thoughts ?

I’m sure you’ve may have heard of the Army point guard from that night in MSG.

I’m sure you’ve may have heard of the Army point guard from that night in MSG.
Coach K...….. Another of that era - the year before, after the Herd lost the semi-final game, they took on a Jim Valvano-led squad....

.......added link to photo in NYTimes article in previous post....

Last edited:
Coach K...….. Another of that era - the year before, after the Herd lost the semi-final game, they took on a Jim Valvano-led squad....

Yeah Rutgers had a nice squad. V ran point and their star was a shooting guard Bobby Lloyd.

.......added link to photo in NYTimes article in previous post....
Danny has told me that he and Jimmy V started a relationship at that game that continued until Jimmy died

Thanks for posting that game. That was my first time seeing that footage. Just so happened I was in the 6th grade at Gallaher Elementary during that year and my PE teacher was some guy by the name of Dan D'Antoni. I guess you were in 7th grade at Beverly Hills....correct?

Thanks for posting that game. That was my first time seeing that footage. Just so happened I was in the 6th grade at Gallaher Elementary during that year and my PE teacher was some guy by the name of Dan D'Antoni. I guess you were in 7th grade at Beverly Hills....correct?
That is so right - my old Babe Ruth teammate....

? for us older fans......in the ‘68 Houston game, the Herd had 3 players score 20+ points. How often has that happened in our history? And, it goes w/o saying (?) that we have never/will never have 3 20+ point men vs the #1 ranked team in the U.S.A. !!

Yeah Rutgers had a nice squad. V ran point and their star was a shooting guard Bobby Lloyd.

Remember those games well, in spring of 67 IIRC. Was in school at MU and campus was going "nuts" over MU basketball after we nipped Nova in the tourney's opening round and routed Nebraska in quarterfinals, 119-76. Papers had pictures of coaches of final 4 teams each holding a basketball. Ellis looked pure "Kentucky country" in a sports coat and one of those string ties!

In the Nebraska game George Stone set a NIT record scoring 46 points. It lasted barely 2 days as Rutgers' Lloyd scored 51 against MU in the last game.

Remember those games well, in spring of 67 IIRC. Was in school at MU and campus was going "nuts" over MU basketball after we nipped Nova in the tourney's opening round and routed Nebraska in quarterfinals, 119-76. Papers had pictures of coaches of final 4 teams each holding a basketball. Ellis looked pure "Kentucky country" in a sports coat and one of those string ties!

In the Nebraska game George Stone set a NIT record scoring 46 points. It lasted barely 2 days as Rutgers' Lloyd scored 51 against MU in the last game.

As I remember Lloyd was tremendous in the consolation game vs MU.
But I believe the 51 point game against Marshall came in the first round game of the ‘68 NIT when Elnardo Webster from St Peters broke Stones “newMSG” single game record. SP’s upset Marshall in overtime.

Last edited:

Snake dance down 4th Avenue following one of those wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT