ADVERTISEMENT

Change in recruiting

Anointing someone the starting QB before they take a snap is the same thing that led us to having problems in 2016. Let’s not jump the gun again.

I think it’s just natural that we would expect the backup to step in as starter unless there is some unknown talent or transfer coming in that will play right away. Regardless spring will be very interesting.

I’m more worried about this recruiting class being the worst one in a decade than the QB position.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I think it’s just natural that we would expect the backup to step in as starter unless there is some unknown talent or transfer coming in that will play right away. Regardless spring will be very interesting.

I’m more worried about this recruiting class being the worst one in a decade than the QB position.

Well.....Green was basically the backup by default. The plan was to always redshirt Morrell and Green barring disaster (which we avoided). Morrell and Green will enter spring ball evenly matched and it’ll depend on their ability to grasp a new playbook as well as produce to see who the 2018 starter will be.

Give the 2018 Class a few more weeks and I think we’ll be just fine. Given who we already have on campus and who is currently committed, most of our needs will be met.

Anointing someone the starting QB before they take a snap is the same thing that led us to having problems in 2016. Let’s not jump the gun again.
It's not actually my call to make that Green will be elevated to the Starting QB position. I would think that Doc, our new OC, and Coach Stowers would have the ultimate call in that decision. I would also think that Doc and our new OC would not see my tongue in cheek statement as an opportunity to make another
condescending remark to a cash paying member of this board...but normal for you. Good Job.

P.S. Please don't associate me with problems in the program in 2016. You may, however, take that issue up with Doc.

Reactions: WV_Celt
It's not actually my call to make that Green will be elevated to the Starting QB position. I would think that Doc, our new OC, and Coach Stowers would have the ultimate call in that decision. I would also think that Doc and our new OC would not see my tongue in cheek statement as an opportunity to make another
condescending remark to a cash paying member of this board...but normal for you. Good Job.

P.S. Please don't associate me with problems in the program in 2016. You may, however, take that issue up with Doc.

Of course it’s not your call. It’s no one’s call but Doc’s and the new OC’s. With that said, statements and comments like that are what led to “Boogie” Litton in 2016 instead of the Chase Litton we saw in 2015 and 2017. My statement wasn’t condescending in the least. It was simply me calling a spade and spade and it goes for everyone, not just you.

Reactions: CarolinaHerdzilla
I love how someone gets on here and is kinda sarcastic with replies but as soon as someone else says something feelings are hurt.. Lordy day people let’s talk herd sports and leave the babies at home

Of course it’s not your call. It’s no one’s call but Doc’s and the new OC’s. With that said, statements and comments like that are what led to “Boogie” Litton in 2016 instead of the Chase Litton we saw in 2015 and 2017. My statement wasn’t condescending in the least. It was simply me calling a spade and spade and it goes for everyone, not just you.
I still say Doc needs to bring in another QB because if the freshman wins the job does that cause a soph(or two) to transfer out because they know they may never start?

Reactions: FballMD

Our recruiting class is actually going to be a good one based on the current commits/signees and the remaining board. Our 2015 class looked to be our greatest ever on paper and certainly by far the best in the Doc Era, and that class turned to shit quick and only the 2010 class may have been worse. That class had 16 composite 3-star recruits, 1 4-star recruit, and 8 high 2-star recruits. Of the top-25 rated recruits in the class, only 10 have completed their eligibility at MU or are on the roster. It isn't always about the stars or the flash. The fact is that our we landed a bunch of very solid recruits in the December signing period that have the potential to be good players for us in their time at MU.

Last edited:
Reactions: MU ATO and 31Herd55
The answer to the initial question is no... Here is who is in the program and their class next season.

Isaiah Green - Sophomore
Christian Shaw - RS freshman
Jackson White - RS sophomore
Garrett Morrell - Junior

It would be nice to add an incoming QB, but it is certainly not a priority... Not with a junior, two sophomores and a redshirt freshman on the roster.

I know everyone is anointing Green as the guy next year, but I would not sleep on Shaw... Pro-style QB that ran a spread offense in high school and has elite arm talent. It would not shock me at all if they were neck-and-neck coming out of spring ball.

The answer to the initial question is no... Here is who is in the program and their class next season.

Isaiah Green - Sophomore
Garrett Morrell - Junior

It would be nice to add an incoming QB, but it is certainly not a priority... Not with a junior, two sophomores and a redshirt freshman on the roster.

I know everyone is anointing Green as the guy next year, but I would not sleep on Shaw... Pro-style QB that ran a spread offense in high school and has elite arm talent. It would not shock me at all if they were neck-and-neck coming out of spring ball.

Garet Morrell will be a RS-Soph.
Jackson White will be a RS-Soph.
Isaiah Green will be a RS-FR.

Morrell and White both suck

Green is an unknown

Dont be shocked if we make a run a Evan Sheriffs from Miami who just announced he will be a grad transfer with 2 years left to play.

Isaiah Green - Sophomore
Garrett Morrell - Junior

Look at the scholarship chart only three in the program and my bet is if one of the three wins the job so my bet is someone transfers because they know they will never play at Marshall. Chase leaving is a problem with everything we have coming back.

I have a feeling unless we get a grad transfer that is immediately eligible we are going to struggle.

Why? Litton wasn’t good.... we won games because of our running game. We have a ton of people coming back. Litton was average. We don’t need the next QB to step up and be Chad, we just need them to come in and be average.

I have a feeling unless we get a grad transfer that is immediately eligible we are going to struggle.

Why? Litton wasn’t good.... we won games because of our running game. We have a ton of people coming back. Litton was average. We don’t need the next QB to step up and be Chad, we just need them to come in and be average.

And an OC that can call a game slanted towards the talent on the field not a “square peg round hole” style of offense.

Reactions: Herd Fever
The questions of who can grasp the offense the best, and who turns the ball over the least will be two critical issues to watch during spring practice.

I dont think Morrell is the answer... I know nothing about Green other than the hype that he is a great athlete. Shaw has the size and the arm, but is a true unknown at this point.

A grad transfer would be an interesting addition given that the rest of the team is in win now mode for next year.

I’m not trying to be rude here, but if Shaw is taking snaps anywhere but the scout team, then I’m relinquishing my moderator status for the 2018 season because I’ll lose my mind.

I’m not trying to be rude here, but if Shaw is taking snaps anywhere but the scout team, then I’m relinquishing my moderator status for the 2018 season because I’ll lose my mind.

Don't threaten the rest of us with a good time!

But seriously...

I seem to remember a certain "great athlete" with tons of "potential" never panning out while we started a less athletically gifted kid from Chillicothe Ohio when I was in school. These are 18-20 year olds, stuff happens, the point is the race to be the starting QB next year is, as it should be, wide open.

I'm not in any way saying that he will win the position, but don't rule Morrell out of the competition based on his 2016 game appearances. He was under impossible restrictions, and playing against perhaps the most talented opponents we played all season. I don't know if the playbook was so limited because he couldn't handle more or if it was just the coaches who believed so. But I do know the kid has some talent and a good grasp of the game. He could make it interesting.

Reactions: pdbailey
I'm not in any way saying that he will win the position, but don't rule Morrell out of the competition based on his 2016 game appearances. He was under impossible restrictions, and playing against perhaps the most talented opponents we played all season. I don't know if the playbook was so limited because he couldn't handle more or if it was just the coaches who believed so. But I do know the kid has some talent and a good grasp of the game. He could make it interesting.

Agreed.

He wasnt that good with what he was given.

A true baller excels in all situations.

He wasnt that good with what he was given.

A true baller excels in all situations.

Disagree. Even the best we've ever seen in Huntington didn't excel in all situations. The only two college players I've ever seen that even come close are Hershel Walker and Bo Jackson. Probably two of the best all-time players. We need someone that excels consistently, not always. If we find that guy that will be one heck of a QB.

Reactions: pdbailey
I agree, he showed flashes during the two games he played. It should be a good competition between Green and Morrell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT