ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte has 1 win away from home....

MU was a handful of schools who either hadn't been to the NCAA tournament or hadn't ever won a game, I can't remember. It was also a very small number of teams left who hadn't done that either.

Until the WS win, we had not won a NCAA Basketball Tournament game, but we have made the tourney six times. Actually five times because the NCAA vacated one because of rules violations.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Both major sports programs at MU are nothing more than mediocre at this point. I tend to give Dan a little slack because he's been here 5 years as opposed to 10.

Actually imo, The most relevant period of Marshall basketball has to be the 25 years from 1947-1972. In that quarter century, MU won their only national championship (small colleges), made a run in the same tourney the next year I believe. Then the 50’s, arguably the greatest collection of players in any decade bar none. Greer, Slack. Byrd, Gold dust twins, etc. 1st big boy national tournament (MAC Champs) c 1955.....apparently there were some formidable conference foes (Toledo ) that kept those great teams sitting in the stands come March. NIT run in ‘67 has been gone over, but Ellis took DD and the boys up to NYC and took it over for about a week!
1972 - too many reasons why many on here will always consider this the best team of all time. Tacy takes over for EJ/don’t think he had a handle on the effect of The Crash on our little community! So, a heartbroken town gets this team to hold onto and carry thousands of people on an amazing ride. From November into early March, Herd basketball was the stir in everybody’s drink!! 13 year old me was eaten up with D’Antoni, Noll, Collins (RIP), Russell Lee, Barry Driscoll, Bill James & everyone else - it was fantastic!
I’ll stop, but Herd basketball will always be my fav!

Actually imo, The most relevant period of Marshall basketball has to be the 25 years from 1947-1972. In that quarter century, MU won their only national championship (small colleges), made a run in the same tourney the next year I believe. Then the 50’s, arguably the greatest collection of players in any decade bar none. Greer, Slack. Byrd, Gold dust twins, etc. 1st big boy national tournament (MAC Champs) c 1955.....apparently there were some formidable conference foes (Toledo ) that kept those great teams sitting in the stands come March. NIT run in ‘67 has been gone over, but Ellis took DD and the boys up to NYC and took it over for about a week!
1972 - too many reasons why many on here will always consider this the best team of all time. Tacy takes over for EJ/don’t think he had a handle on the effect of The Crash on our little community! So, a heartbroken town gets this team to hold onto and carry thousands of people on an amazing ride. From November into early March, Herd basketball was the stir in everybody’s drink!! 13 year old me was eaten up with D’Antoni, Noll, Collins (RIP), Russell Lee, Barry Driscoll, Bill James & everyone else - it was fantastic!
I’ll stop, but Herd basketball will always be my fav!

First appearance was the 1956 tournament. Marshall lost to Morehead in the first round.

Toledo was the obstacle for the MU NIT teams. Toledo had some tremendous players including John Brisker and Steve Mix.

Ellis Johnson had been gone two seasons when Tacy took over. Carl and Stewart Way traded coaching positions for the 71-72 season, Way was head coach for the prior two seasons.
EJ was swept up in the athletic dept house cleaning along with Perry Moss and Eddie Barrett when Marshall was dismissed from the MAC.

I appreciate your passion for Marshall sports.

First appearance was the 1956 tournament. Marshall lost to Morehead in the first round.

Toledo was the obstacle for the MU NIT teams. Toledo had some tremendous players including John Brisker and Steve Mix.

Ellis Johnson had been gone two seasons when Tacy took over. Carl and Stewart Way traded coaching positions for the 71-72 season, Way was head coach for the prior two seasons.
EJ was swept up in the athletic dept house cleaning along with Perry Moss and Eddie Barrett when Marshall was dismissed from the MAC.

I appreciate your passion for Marshall sports.
Ask Jim Davidson about John Brisker.

Reactions: Russ Priddy
Russ Priddy. Are you from Pt. Pleasant? (Larry Morgan, Bob Oliver, Pete Pantelucas) I roomed next to them in Hodges.

He went after Willie Babione who threw the first punch. Brisker probably had a knife in his sock. :D
Man, just a speck before my time, but those 60’s conference tilts @ the Fieldhouse must’ve been like pro rasslin’!
I do remember WSAZ would broadcast some games. Bob Redd had a big game vs BG....

Reactions: GreenDuke
Their scoring doesn't surprise. As you know, Sanchez is a disciple of UVA coach Tony Bennett. He was his assistant for 12 years.

Charlotte: Last year after Mikel Beyers made a 3-pointer from deep in the corner to defeat the 49ers at the buzzer in Halton Arena.....Dan said, to us (family), ¨Sanchez will have them playing well in short time....¨

I´m not sure if this squad can beat Charlotte in the Queen City, Sunday, February 16 @ 7:00 PM.

HerdZilla22 in COLD Charlotte

Dan said, to us (family),

X4kpCfs.png

Charlotte: Last year after Mikel Beyers made a 3-pointer from deep in the corner to defeat the 49ers at the buzzer in Halton Arena.....Dan said, to us (family), ¨Sanchez will have them playing well in short time....¨

I´m not sure if this squad can beat Charlotte in the Queen City, Sunday, February 16 @ 7:00 PM.

HerdZilla22 in COLD Charlotte

Zilla - pay no attention to the guy who is the reason Phil Collins wrote lyrics and notes to the hit song “In the air tonight” , esp “well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand”.
A wasted life.....

Don’t expect your cousin to be in Charlotte the weekend of Feb 15.....the Herd will be heading home from their alphabet tour of The Lone Star state (UTSA & UTEP) to end the pre-pod stage of the conference race...... we may get another shot at them in pod play.....otherwise, it would have to be in Frisco.

Well, for those who thought that Charlotte was "invincible" in CUSA play, they just lost tonight to mighty Old Dominion! This league is still wide open with a lot of games remaining!!

Zilla - pay no attention to the guy who is the reason Phil Collins wrote lyrics and notes to the hit song “In the air tonight” , esp “well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand”.

“Sticks and stones” would have been a better comeback than your putrid attempt.

Well we know know you fall into the 3rd category, the Delusionals.

26 point beat down assream by 9-8, 8-8 in D I, Toledo at home.
Solid 10 point win by 11-7, 10-7 in D I, 9-7 vs non HBCUs, C of Charleston at home.
Solid 12 point win by Akron, at home.
Second loss to Toledo, this time by “only” 8.
Loss to 7-8, 6-8 vs D I, 4-8 vs non HBCUs, North Texas at home.

Two wins over teams with winning records, 8-7 Rice and a solid upset over 15-2 Duquesne, which probably eliminated them from NCAA at-large consideration

Accepting not mediocrity, but something well less than that.

How about this team plays zero Seniors and a good number of underclassmen see the floor. The future is bright.

In the last five years...

Conference Championship
NCAA Tournament Win
CBI Champions

This hasn't happened with Marshall basketball in a long time. The only delusion is that you see that as "mediocrity" compared to history. The season is a long one. Marshall may not win the conference this season during a competitive "rebuilding" cycle after losing, arguably, the most productive player in Marshall history. You're insane.

This sure beats any other stretch of MU basketball that I've been alive for. It certainly beats Jirsa and Herrion years. Recall those rebuilding seasons? Good grief, get a grip. You sound ridiculous.

Reactions: herd2believe
The future is bright.

No, no it really is not. After months of delusion about how awesome this season was going to be, the second phase of delusion now come in. This is a “rebuilding year” and “we are young” and other such nonsense.

Young bad players grow up to be old bad players.

Conference Championship
NCAA Tournament Win
CBI Champions

This hasn't happened with Marshall basketball in a long time.

In other words, you accept ONE lucky bounce from 4th place tournament spot, one win over a grossly over-seeded team, and a pay to play “championship”, with 3 seasons, soon to be 4, of nothing at all.

Accepting mediocrity.

How about this team plays zero Seniors and a good number of underclassmen see the floor. The future is bright.

Conference Championship
NCAA Tournament Win
CBI Champions

This hasn't happened with Marshall basketball in a long time. The only delusion is that you see that as "mediocrity" compared to history. The season is a long one. Marshall may not win the conference this season during a competitive "rebuilding" cycle after losing, arguably, the most productive player in Marshall history. You're insane.

This sure beats any other stretch of MU basketball that I've been alive for. It certainly beats Jirsa and Herrion years. Recall those rebuilding seasons? Good grief, get a grip. You sound ridiculous.

So its nobody's fault the head coach didn't prepare for Jon Elmore's departure?

You listed 3 accomplishments for the team, 2 of which happened in the same year and the 3rd was a massive drop-off the year after, and included the most productive player in MU's history.

Now, its looking like 2016's football team...bad losses and just nobody seems to be leading the team.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Let’s try a different tack: If we look back at the 4 seasons in which Jon & CJ (then 2 seasons adding Rondale) were starters, and the Herd saw arguably the most success since the mid eighties in terms of conference chsmpionship games, a title, and a 1st ever victory in a NCAA tourney game, followed by a winning season and a post-season tourney trophy - and you are coming out of hs looking to be a starter right away for your college career: is Marshall your #1 pick? You come in as a red shirt, then ride the pine watching the #1 and #5 all-time scorers in history, only getting mop-up minutes and then & only then getting your chance to start as a senior....not an attractive option now, is it?
Kinda like a great QB starting all 4 years...who wants to hold the clip board on the sidelines for the 1st three seasons? Ask Joe Burrow about that one!
Things start getting more equally divided by class going into 20-21. Still a lot of games to be played!

It’s amazing what CJ accomplished when you realize he only started as a junior and senior. Stevie Browning was the starting SG for two of those years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT