ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Litton

So the player I talked to definitely blamed it on the issues I described before. Lack of control of the players. Players not buying into what the coaches were selling them and the strength coach loss. With the season we had and the rumors we heard all of these things seem obvious.

He said the new strength coach is a good guy but I firmly believe there was a significant link between those strength records being broken and the increase in injuries. My guess is a lack of focus on stretching which lead to some injuries. Also lack of speed.

So the player I talked to definitely blamed it on the issues I described before. Lack of control of the players. Players not buying into what the coaches were selling them and the strength coach loss. With the season we had and the rumors we heard all of these things seem obvious.

He said the new strength coach is a good guy but I firmly believe there was a significant link between those strength records being broken and the increase in injuries. My guess is a lack of focus on stretching which lead to some injuries. Also lack of speed.

I'm sick of the pessimism for a season that hasn't even begun yet. Putting what former players have said to fit a narrative. I agree about the Strength and Conditioning coach, he was a major asset (and that position IS a major asset) to the team.
Is it players not buying into what coaches were saying to them or simply refusing to accept some changes ("sorry _______ you're going to have to block more and may not get as many touches" or "Instead of being an X WR, you're going to be a different WR") and acting up? Because that's what I have heard.

If Marshall beats Miami, it won't be enough for some on here, who seem to have circled that game as THE game. They'll just say, "Well Miami is horrible. It doesn't prove a thing" especially if they actually end up being horrible in 2017...but using the past 6 game win streak of Miami to bolster the 'cautious optimism' so many seem to grasp as a norm.

As for me? Straight up, 10+ wins. I dunno who we beat because I haven't really sat down and looked at the schedule. I do think we beat WKU and we (at worst) split with the P5.

Reactions: KellyGreenAlumni
I'm sick of the pessimism for a season that hasn't even begun yet. Putting what former players have said to fit a narrative. I agree about the Strength and Conditioning coach, he was a major asset (and that position IS a major asset) to the team.
Is it players not buying into what coaches were saying to them or simply refusing to accept some changes ("sorry _______ you're going to have to block more and may not get as many touches" or "Instead of being an X WR, you're going to be a different WR") and acting up? Because that's what I have heard.
If Marshall beats Miami, it won't be enough for some on here, who seem to have circled that game as THE game. They'll just say, "Well Miami is horrible. It doesn't prove a thing" especially if they actually end up being horrible in 2017...but using the past 6 game win streak of Miami to bolster the 'cautious optimism' so many seem to grasp as a norm.

As for me? Straight up, 10+ wins. I dunno who we beat because I haven't really sat down and looked at the schedule. I do think we beat WKU and we (at worst) split with the P5.

This whole post is confused. And we only play one P5.

Even seeing the schedule and how others are going to be when we play them...it's still a 10+ win season.

Miami(OH), Similar start as it was 2 years ago as well as result. Our offense will stumble but the defense picks it up for us. We win in relatively easy fashion. It's a home game, our opener, and the team is eager to show everyone that 2016 is a forgetful year. W

NC State, if we played them on 9/16, we may even put them on Upset Alert. But we aren't. I think it'll be a close game, considering NC State isn't exactly predicted to be a world beater. Most places I've seen they're going .500 and finishing at the middle of the...wait for it...PACK! We'll keep up with them but offensive mistakes will cost us however, that'll be it.* W

KSU, Much of the same against Miami. Our offense just did not have much firepower in that game 2 years ago. Probably because it was Litton's first real game against a true D-1 defense which KSU was noted to have. It's at home and Litton obviously is experienced. W

Cincy, Well, let's be honest. Cincy just had a real bad string of injuries to end 2016. The Adam Sandler clone at the helm, will their will to win be even there after their first 4 games? They could very well have some injuries from their games against Navy and Michigan (and even miami). I sense a similar scenario with VT, away game, back and forth with Cincy winning in the OT. L

Charlotte, It's at Charlotte. That's really it for them. Yes, Mullen is a decent OC, they put up lots of stats but don't exactly light up the scoreboard. With our "worst team ever" we managed to remain in the game with them...Marshall will also have a solid following for the game because of location, which will make home field somewhat weak for them. W

ODU, This one may be a bit tricky. Sure we've pretty much killed them each time we played until last season. It was 21-17 going into the 4th quarter and the wheels basically fell the hell off. Their starter was mop up work last season. He should be better. This one's at home. Close game. W

MTSU, Even when the team was essentially done for the season, we still pulverized MTSU at home. We don't lose at home, regardless on our memorial game, but it's something to note, considering how bad Marshall was. I doubt this'll be the same team we played, and I hate seeing an L here, but give us the L because we're due a screw up game. L

FIU, They could very well be undefeated playing us. Their schedule is not hard by any means and their HC is going to be something else. However, they are at home and depending how we're playing, could be a tough road game for them...they'd have MSTU before us with a tune up against Tulane, but I don't see them having the depth for us...yet. W

FAU, We'll get to see how Lane Kiffin's been doing with the FL talent he's been given. It's an away game and it'll be a solid offense vs. a solid defense. Our defense with the LB's we're supposed to have, are going to be a force at this point. Am I not sold on Lane Kiffin being a HC? Seriously, he's more unstable than Francium (Science!). I'll give us this one, also because the fact they were another W for us last year...which, as you know, was awful. W

WKU, THE game for us in the regular season as far as I'm concerned. It's a very big game for us, it's on a day that we simply don't lose. As bad as I said we were against MTSU, we still absolutely murdered them...and they barely lost to WKU in 2016. New coach, new schemes, some players apparently are kicked off the team or in trouble or something...however, I think the Marshall players still remaining from the team of 2016 are going to basically Clockwork Orange the new guys regarding them. I think WKU will have some trick plays and some fancy skills, but not enough for us. We win in a 2 TD win. W

UTSA, "Hey Mr. Wilson!!! You did alright in year one!" This team is weird...they're like the Bill Paxton of C-USA...just...kinda there...not flashy or great...but not crappy either. We haven't played them since 2013...Hell, I dunno...W.

USM, Another unique one on the schedule. Entering his 2nd year from a 7-6 season previously, USM is gonna be something else. The West is much easier IMO as well. However, it's a home game for us. Given the fact we, also, played this team tough, trailing 10-7 into the 4th quarter...then the wheels fell off...again. Defense wins this one for us however, and we cap the season with a W.

Title game...Marshall vs. Kim Jung Un's 2nd favorite team (besides wvu). Marshall wins C-USA title as we'd likely have home field.

Look at this schedule and forget 2016. Marshall was not bad in 2015...however, we couldn't put the games we needed to, away. In 2016, our defense held up as best as they could with the offense just pitiful. But one could point to any unit/player on offense and find flaws in their application...same with the coaches and play calling. It was a pretty abysmal year for sure.
I think Litton got a major dose of reality from the team, and with Doc bringing in someone who has just as much potential to start, has put him back into player mode and out of diva mode (I hope).
However, the improved offense, even a little bit, is going to help.

Our schedule with some of the divisional teams towards the middle/end of the season, is going to help since we'll have an idea each week, of how they look against their own conference and have an idea of the logistics of their teams.

But the major key is the defense. It's going to win us the games we're in close. I think some cupcake games on the schedule, the offense is going to have a field day and the defense can coast, but the defense was so worn out in 2016 by the 4th quarter, they just simply couldn't do much else.
You won't see that this year.

That's all from me.

*NC State cheated to beat us in the past. The ACC officials are also homers for the ACC...obviously. I wasn't there for the incidents that happened, but I heard they were pretty bad...like Soviets to beat the USA basketball team and 3 horrible calls bad...so even if they beat us, it may not actually be a "W" for them.

Last edited:
we (at worst) split with the P5.

1-0 against P5 in regular season.

NC State, if we played them on 9/16, we may even put them on Upset Alert. But we aren't. I think it'll be a close game, considering NC State isn't exactly predicted to be a world beater. Most places I've seen they're going .500 and finishing at the middle of the...wait for it...PACK! We'll keep up with them but offensive mistakes will cost us and they'll pull one out.* L

Well Kelly I give All4TheHerd credit in that he pointed out each game and his opinion as to whether we win or we lose. Even I can't fault his opinion. Mine, however is not the same as his 10-2 season although I hope All4TheHerd is right and I am wrong. While we have personnel in key positions with experience we all know that a key critical coaching change was not made and that coach is still in charge of our offense. As bad as CUSA is - and we were one of if not the worst team in the league - without change I do think we win more than 4 or 5 games and honestly I don't think we are going to be favored in any of them. JMO and now KellyGreen give us your view.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Based on what we read and hear, OL and DL seem to be the units that are suspect. And that's not good.

I'm out here trying to sell Lumber, make WV's economy boom.

I liked this guys post. Where I kept it Abe Lincoln, he broke it down. We had a couple discrepancies, all the while i liked it. I favor a column talking about wins. Also, understand I may sip on the kool-aid. The loss of the strength coach without question hurt the Herd. Honestly, there is no reason we couldn't win every game. That being said, It reminds me of a contract year for these coaches. They should know whats at stake. If these kids buy into the leader, be it Chase Litton or Xavier Gaines, we truly shouldn't have much of a problem. We will slip up a game or two. That's the Herd we know. The slip up game I see in the forecast would have to be Kent st. Although, I previously stated we would roll through them at home, i do believe we can topple NC State. if we do, we always come out flat after a bigger win. sending us into Cincy at 2-1. id rather not look that far but predicting the C-USA championship this early is a thing these days. I can see another championship game in Huntington, this year tho. The realist part of me knows down deep that another bust can happen. But lets let the players see we are still here backing them at home and on the road, show up for them, and hope they return the favor. ill be attending the following away games if you would like to have a beer at the tailgate and we can talk more: NC State - Cincinnati - Charlotte - FAU - and all of the home games.

I appreciate the responses. Obviously I began unprepared but finished strong IMO.

I don't really see a team that is 'overwhelming' to us. NC State is going to be tough as will Cincy, but they are not impossible games to win.

Of course my schedule is full of "W's" because I believe we are the best each season. Obviously subject to change as the season goes on. As will many of you cjange your opinions on a week by week basis based on how we did prior.
But I am certainly willing to motion for administrative and personnel changes should the program not live up to expectations of the majority of the fanbase (of course, mine are ridiculously sky high but thats ok).

While the Doc criticism is definitely deserving as he proved last year that he can really have some bad decisions.

I guess my question is, what does Doc, or any of the next Marshall coaches really have to do to be 'a good coach' ?? What makes them such?

What coach would come and take this job? Coach Molly McGrath from Central High? Look, Marshall is not a desired job nationally, we are like lucky to have Coach Doc to be honest. You guys really underestimate how significant it is to have some sustainability within our coaching staff at this level. I mean come on Herdnation, we have Coach Doc and Coach Heat is one of the best in the business. Now, with all due respect our (OC) needs some rides in the time machine, but overall we are ok. This new guy, our strength and conditioning coach, Luke Day. Give the young man some time. I believe we will be in the Conference USA Championship Game, but it will not be in Huntington. Our slip up game is at FAU bye the way. Go Herd!

Hey KellyGreenAlumni selling lumber. Well I may disagree with some of your opinions regarding Herd football (as I'm sure you do mine) but glad you are doing your part for our struggling state. Just a tip of the hat to you.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Even seeing the schedule and how others are going to be when we play them...it's still a 10+ win season.

Miami(OH), Similar start as it was 2 years ago as well as result. Our offense will stumble but the defense picks it up for us. We win in relatively easy fashion. It's a home game, our opener, and the team is eager to show everyone that 2016 is a forgetful year. W

NC State, if we played them on 9/16, we may even put them on Upset Alert. But we aren't. I think it'll be a close game, considering NC State isn't exactly predicted to be a world beater. Most places I've seen they're going .500 and finishing at the middle of the...wait for it...PACK! We'll keep up with them but offensive mistakes will cost us however, that'll be it.* W

KSU, Much of the same against Miami. Our offense just did not have much firepower in that game 2 years ago. Probably because it was Litton's first real game against a true D-1 defense which KSU was noted to have. It's at home and Litton obviously is experienced. W

Cincy, Well, let's be honest. Cincy just had a real bad string of injuries to end 2016. The Adam Sandler clone at the helm, will their will to win be even there after their first 4 games? They could very well have some injuries from their games against Navy and Michigan (and even miami). I sense a similar scenario with VT, away game, back and forth with Cincy winning in the OT. L

Charlotte, It's at Charlotte. That's really it for them. Yes, Mullen is a decent OC, they put up lots of stats but don't exactly light up the scoreboard. With our "worst team ever" we managed to remain in the game with them...Marshall will also have a solid following for the game because of location, which will make home field somewhat weak for them. W

ODU, This one may be a bit tricky. Sure we've pretty much killed them each time we played until last season. It was 21-17 going into the 4th quarter and the wheels basically fell the hell off. Their starter was mop up work last season. He should be better. This one's at home. Close game. W

MTSU, Even when the team was essentially done for the season, we still pulverized MTSU at home. We don't lose at home, regardless on our memorial game, but it's something to note, considering how bad Marshall was. I doubt this'll be the same team we played, and I hate seeing an L here, but give us the L because we're due a screw up game. L

FIU, They could very well be undefeated playing us. Their schedule is not hard by any means and their HC is going to be something else. However, they are at home and depending how we're playing, could be a tough road game for them...they'd have MSTU before us with a tune up against Tulane, but I don't see them having the depth for us...yet. W

FAU, We'll get to see how Lane Kiffin's been doing with the FL talent he's been given. It's an away game and it'll be a solid offense vs. a solid defense. Our defense with the LB's we're supposed to have, are going to be a force at this point. Am I not sold on Lane Kiffin being a HC? Seriously, he's more unstable than Francium (Science!). I'll give us this one, also because the fact they were another W for us last year...which, as you know, was awful. W

WKU, THE game for us in the regular season as far as I'm concerned. It's a very big game for us, it's on a day that we simply don't lose. As bad as I said we were against MTSU, we still absolutely murdered them...and they barely lost to WKU in 2016. New coach, new schemes, some players apparently are kicked off the team or in trouble or something...however, I think the Marshall players still remaining from the team of 2016 are going to basically Clockwork Orange the new guys regarding them. I think WKU will have some trick plays and some fancy skills, but not enough for us. We win in a 2 TD win. W

UTSA, "Hey Mr. Wilson!!! You did alright in year one!" This team is weird...they're like the Bill Paxton of C-USA...just...kinda there...not flashy or great...but not crappy either. We haven't played them since 2013...Hell, I dunno...W.

USM, Another unique one on the schedule. Entering his 2nd year from a 7-6 season previously, USM is gonna be something else. The West is much easier IMO as well. However, it's a home game for us. Given the fact we, also, played this team tough, trailing 10-7 into the 4th quarter...then the wheels fell off...again. Defense wins this one for us however, and we cap the season with a W.

Title game...Marshall vs. Kim Jung Un's 2nd favorite team (besides wvu). Marshall wins C-USA title as we'd likely have home field.

Look at this schedule and forget 2016. Marshall was not bad in 2015...however, we couldn't put the games we needed to, away. In 2016, our defense held up as best as they could with the offense just pitiful. But one could point to any unit/player on offense and find flaws in their application...same with the coaches and play calling. It was a pretty abysmal year for sure.
I think Litton got a major dose of reality from the team, and with Doc bringing in someone who has just as much potential to start, has put him back into player mode and out of diva mode (I hope).
However, the improved offense, even a little bit, is going to help.

Our schedule with some of the divisional teams towards the middle/end of the season, is going to help since we'll have an idea each week, of how they look against their own conference and have an idea of the logistics of their teams.

But the major key is the defense. It's going to win us the games we're in close. I think some cupcake games on the schedule, the offense is going to have a field day and the defense can coast, but the defense was so worn out in 2016 by the 4th quarter, they just simply couldn't do much else.
You won't see that this year.

That's all from me.

*NC State cheated to beat us in the past. The ACC officials are also homers for the ACC...obviously. I wasn't there for the incidents that happened, but I heard they were pretty bad...like Soviets to beat the USA basketball team and 3 horrible calls bad...so even if they beat us, it may not actually be a "W" for them.

I believe the refs for the NC State game will be CUSA refs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT