ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck sums it up quite nicely

Which is exactly why MH was correct to play the 10-3 MAC Champion NIU Huskies, rather than the 6-6 5th in their division, beat a I-AA, a 7-5 CUSA, a 7-5 Sun Belt, a 7-5 Minnesota, a 6-6 probation Penn State, and a 5-7 Northwestern, Illinois Illini back in 2014; despite the protests of the keyboard warriors.

Correct.
Wow, we're talking ancient history here.

I have no idea who the hell rifle is.

“Rifle is going to smack you hard anytime now.” Get off his nuts maybe?

This....is weird. A grown man saying another grown man will smack me around on an internet message board. I’m glad you all are a small subset of Marshall fans because...it ain’t good.

Best part of a message board is the anonymity and ability to voice your opinion.

Being clique-y like this is gross.

I’ll watch my back for rifle though. It may make its way all the way here in Vienna...because us normal, non-WV folk like to travel and see the world and it’s different culture.

There’s actually some better food out there besides Fat Patty’s and Sheetz.

Do you mean Grose like disturbing or Gross like a sum of something or blatant and unacceptable? Sorry, we are just trying to keep up with your points, but you spell like herdfever

Reactions: ohio herd
I never have had an issue with that game. All of our fans just see P5 and the jersey and overvalue. Those same fans that complained then still complain and still contend that playing Illinois would have been a bigger win and springboard for the program. Boy playing that 2014 Illinois team did wonders for LaTech didn't it. Illinois is as about as irrelevant as any other bottom feeder team in CFB.

Both of you are

1479206864-donald-trump-wrong.gif

Beating Illinois would ABSOLUTELY have given us more credibility than a stupid MAC team. @riflearm2 what do you think? Pretty sure you've gone over this before.

Both of you are

Beating Illinois would ABSOLUTELY have given us more credibility than a stupid MAC team. @riflearm2 what do you think? Pretty sure you've gone over this before.

No it wouldn't. It did absolutely zero for LaTech. Nothing. It may have done more for you, but it does nothing in the national eye. No one and I mean no one is taking notice of a win over a terrible Illinois program. The only Illinois games that get any type of notoriety is when they upset someone. Illinois is to the B1G what Kansas is to the BigXII. Nobody cares about them.

It also doesn't matter because just two years later we missed playing in a bowl all together.

And another thing. That stupid MAC team had been a top25 team and FSU in the Orange Bowl just two seasons prior and spent most of 2013 in the top25. Stop jersey watching.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Both of you are

No it wouldn't. It did absolutely zero for LaTech. Nothing. It may have done more for you, but it does nothing in the national eye. No one and I mean no one is taking notice of a win over a terrible Illinois program. The only Illinois games that get any type of notoriety is when they upset someone. Illinois is to the B1G what Kansas is to the BigXII. Nobody cares about them.

It also doesn't matter because just two years later we missed playing in a bowl all together.

And another thing. That stupid MAC team had been a top25 team and FSU in the Orange Bowl just two seasons prior and spent most of 2013 in the top25. Stop jersey watching.
Bowl games are one of the best recruiting tools a G5 has. Do you think a recruit would be more pumped up about playing Illinois, or Northern Illinois? South Florida or Florida State? Yes, the G5 schools are often the better schools...we all know that. Look at ticket sales when we played a scrub of a Purdue team. Bowl ticket sales would also increase. A “name” does matter, even if it’s for the wrong reason.

Reactions: Marine03
Bowl games are one of the best recruiting tools a G5 has. Do you think a recruit would be more pumped up about playing Illinois, or Northern Illinois? South Florida or Florida State? Yes, the G5 schools are often the better schools...we all know that. Look at ticket sales when we played a scrub of a Purdue team. Bowl ticket sales would also increase. A “name” does matter, even if it’s for the wrong reason.

How big of a boost did LaTech get in recruiting after that bowl?

If you want to say it may have been more entertaining or just nice to beat a P5 then sure, but by no metric did it help LaTech.

Also let's look at the reward part.

Our players got to go home for Christmas and play in nice weather. LaTech played the day after Christmas thus being away from their families and the weather was disgusting. Man. Big reward there.

Both bowls were meaningless bowls. It was 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Also contrary to popular belief we did not get to pick the bowl. CUSA and ESPN got the final say in where we went. We are known to draw well in Florida and that's why we keep going there.

All in know is back when MU was in the hunt for an access bowl bid ESPN specifically had a segment showing our schedule and how many P5 games and wins we had that year. I have also seen this several times for other G5 schools. Whether you like it or not playing and beating P5 schools do matter.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Well said. The only people that care about playing a P5 6-6 7-5 bottom feeder are people that want to tell their WVU co-workers “remember when Marshall beat __________” years later when that team has cycled back around to being a little better. LTU got nothing out of beating Illinois. No one cares.

All in know is back when MU was in the hunt for an access bowl bid ESPN specifically had a segment showing our schedule and how many P5 games and wins we had that year. I have also seen this several times for other G5 schools. Whether you like it or not playing and beating P5 schools do matter.

Sure. I didn't make the blanket statement that playing P5s don't matter. I said playing that P5 in that season in that bowl didn't matter. When they're ranking teams and splitting hairs for the access bowl it does. At that point that was out of the picture.

Plus does anyone ever stop to think the players got a say. I bet Cato and Shuler preferred playing their final game in front of their families.

Both of you are

I agree with you MLBlack on this.I think it helps in recruiting. For example if I am recruiting a kid and I can say we beat Illinois in 2014 and Maryland in 2013 I think that holds more weight than saying we beat another g5. I'm not downplaying the win over a solid g5 but this is the environment we operate under. For the record, I would rather play 1-2 P5 bottom half schools than 3 really good g5 schools OOC. Why? Perception- that is the name of the game IMO

Reactions: mlblack16.
Also for as lowly that NIU was we still finished the season 22 in the Coaches and 23 in AP. Beating Illinois wasn't going to boost that ranking much more and it wasn't going to have us start the 2015 season out in the top25 after all that we we losing off the 2014 squad.

Sure. I didn't make the blanket statement that playing P5s don't matter. I said playing that P5 in that season in that bowl didn't matter. When they're ranking teams and splitting hairs for the access bowl it does. At that point that was out of the picture.

Plus does anyone ever stop to think the players got a say. I bet Cato and Shuler preferred playing their final game in front of their families.
Yeah, I bet those Ohio State players are dreading possibly playing in the Fiesta Bowl for that reason. ;)

But when you have the opportunity to do do you take it, and we didn’t.

But when you have the opportunity to do do you take it, and we didn’t.

You don't know that we didn't. You are operating under the assumption that Hamrick picked that bowl which he had said over and over again it was not his decision. CUSA and ESPN made the final call on where we went.

Great...if Marshall beats Pittsburgh or VT and both have bad seasons, it won't be a good win because they haven't been relevant lately.

I’ll watch my back for rifle though. It may make its way all the way here in Vienna...because us normal, non-WV folk like to travel and see the world and it’s different culture.

So your "logic and reason" attempt blew up marvelously in your face, so now you're trying to move on to the more cultured angle? I didn't get to Vienna during the month I lived in Milan or the month I lived in Paris. I also didn't get there during the week I spent in Iceland and Brussels earlier this year or the few days that I spent in Berlin later in the year.

But I did eat some Vienna sausage at the Lakers team spread last night. A buddy told me that he was in town, and he is a huge Lakers fan. So I called the owner of the Lakers (she wants to fvck me, like every other reasonable straight female) and asked her for some good seats. Of course, she also told me that she would have their head of security meet me after the game to take me to the Lakers locker room to meet LeBron, Jason Kidd, and Anthony Davis.

So my buddy and I walked the two blocks from my new loft to the arena and was introduced to all of them. Then, while talking to LeBron and Dwight Howard, an old friend who now plays for the Jazz (former Georgetown Hoya Jeff Green) recognized me and came up and shook my hand. Then, as Ed Davis came over to talk to a Laker, I introduced myself because his assistant/best friend/housemate is the old manager of my recording studio. When I told him who I was, he responded with "Ohhh, yeah! He told me you just moved here. Take my number and let's link up."

Ea8K91k.jpg

DxNd37C.jpg

Look at the best G5 success story - Boise.

Did they earn their reputation and opportunity to play in games like the Fiesta by beating top G5 teams? Nope. They earned their reputation and opportunities by repeatedly beating P5 teams of all levels year after year.

Beating a good G5 does absolutely nothing to help Marshall's reputation or increase their opportunities to in future years. Beating Illinois, Maryland, and a couple of P5s in regular season games within a year or two starts earning significant credibility - something beating Northern Fvcking Illinois will never do.

This shouldn't even be a discussion. Beating a P5 team, outside of Boise, is always better for your program than beating a great G5 team. It is no different than an FCS beating an FBS compared to beating a top FCS. Beating even a bad FBS helps their resume and reputation more than beating a great FCS.

Look at the best G5 success story - Boise.

Did they earn their reputation and opportunity to play in games like the Fiesta by beating top G5 teams? Nope. They earned their reputation and opportunities by repeatedly beating P5 teams of all levels year after year.

Beating a good G5 does absolutely nothing to help Marshall's reputation or increase their opportunities to in future years. Beating Illinois, Maryland, and a couple of P5s in regular season games within a year or two starts earning significant credibility - something beating Northern Fvcking Illinois will never do.

This shouldn't even be a discussion. Beating a P5 team, outside of Boise, is always better for your program than beating a great G5 team. It is no different than an FCS beating an FBS compared to beating a top FCS. Beating even a bad FBS helps their resume and reputation more than beating a great FCS.

If the teams Boise would have played in their bowls that started their run were the equivalent of 2014 Illinois there would be no boise as we know them. They were beating teams like Oklahoma.

Also. Marshall beating Illinois is not the equivalent of an FCS team beating an FBS opponent.

So your "logic and reason" attempt blew up marvelously in your face, so now you're trying to move on to the more cultured angle? I didn't get to Vienna during the month I lived in Milan or the month I lived in Paris. I also didn't get there during the week I spent in Iceland and Brussels earlier this year or the few days that I spent in Berlin later in the year.

But I did eat some Vienna sausage at the Lakers team spread last night. A buddy told me that he was in town, and he is a huge Lakers fan. So I called the owner of the Lakers (she wants to fvck me, like every other reasonable straight female) and asked her for some good seats. Of course, she also told me that she would have their head of security meet me after the game to take me to the Lakers locker room to meet LeBron, Jason Kidd, and Anthony Davis.

So my buddy and I walked the two blocks from my new loft to the arena and was introduced to all of them. Then, while talking to LeBron and Dwight Howard, an old friend who now plays for the Jazz (former Georgetown Hoya Jeff Green) recognized me and came up and shook my hand. Then, as Ed Davis came over to talk to a Laker, I introduced myself because his assistant/best friend/housemate is the old manager of my recording studio. When I told him who I was, he responded with "Ohhh, yeah! He told me you just moved here. Take my number and let's link up."

Ea8K91k.jpg

DxNd37C.jpg
Have you ever thought about getting published? You'd make a great fiction writer.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I'm still waiting on someone to present definitive proof that LaTech playing Illinois in a meaningless 2014 bowl game did anything for their program other than provide fodder for message board circle jerks.

Outside of our fans still debating who we should have played that year who ever talks about the 2014 Heart of Dallas Bowl?

I'm still waiting on someone to present definitive proof that LaTech playing Illinois in a meaningless 2014 bowl game did anything for their program other than provide fodder for message board circle jerks.

Outside of our fans still debating who we should have played that year who ever talks about the 2014 Heart of Dallas Bowl?
What did playing the best G5 opponent do for Marshall? 5 years later and not as much as a C-USA East championship. We play for championships is a phrase those guys can never say.

Also back to the Boise point.

Boise's profile raised because they beat
Starting with Oregon State that finished in the top25
Then #7 Oklahoma that same season. Wins followed against #17 Oregon then #16 Oregon then #3 TCU then #13 VT then #24 Oregon State then #20 Utah then #19 Georgia. That's what put them at the top of the G5.

They also played several other ranked teams during that time. Like TCU and Michigan St.

They also won or shared their conference championship in 06, 08, 09, 10, and 12.

Sure they beat some 7-5 P5s in that time span, but Boise is regarded the way they are because of all the top 25 teams they beat and on national tv in prime time spots.

What did playing the best G5 opponent do for Marshall? 5 years later and not as much as a C-USA East championship. We play for championships is a phrase those guys can never say.

I didn't say NIU did anything for us. I'm just saying switching bowls wasn't going to do anything to change the trajectory of this program. Both were meaningless bowls no one outside of the respective fan bases remembers.

As much as I enjoyed playing Maryland that game didn't catapult us into the next stratosphere of CFB. We didn't start the 2014 season ranked and all season long they discounted all we did. I remember a lot of excuses being made for Maryland than praise for us winning. I even got into a discussion with Scott Van Pelt on Twitter where he was calling us out for being mad we weren't in the discussion for the access bowl. He discounted our win over Maryland.

Even as big as Boise's win over OU in the Fiesta Bowl was if they hadn't followed up with those other wins it would have just been written off as a fluke.

Our issue isn't that we played NIU in the Boca Bowl. It's that our HC has let recruiting and on field results decline and stagnate.

Look, Smartass, you're asking for "proof" of what is subjective in nature. Also, it isn't as if the one bowl game against Illinois is making all the difference here, nor is anyone suggesting this. As Rifle clearly stated, it's a history of beating teams from major conferences that starts earning a reputation from sports writers and fans from big conferences who, let's face it, make up the bulk of college football fans in this country.

You're so off base with this that you might as well go sit in the back of the bus with Aaron and Stowers. Oh, and Sam should be there too. Just look at the company you keep for further confirmation that you're nuts.

Look, Smartass, you're asking for "proof" of what is subjective in nature. Also, it isn't as if the one bowl game against Illinois is making all the difference here, nor is anyone suggesting this. As Rifle clearly stated, it's a history of beating teams from major conferences that starts earning a reputation from sports writers and fans from big conferences who, let's face it, make up the bulk of college football fans in this country.

You're so off base with this that you might as well go sit in the back of the bus with Aaron and Stowers. Oh, and Sam should be there too. Just look at the company you keep for further confirmation that you're nuts.

Ok buddy. Take a breath. No crap it takes a history of beating teams in major conferences. That's the exact point I just made. However those also need to be the better teams in those conferences.

You geniuses are the ones that keep acting like had we played Illinois we would have been better for it. I'm telling you and showing you that it wouldn't. LaTech didn't get anything from that game.

I don't even know why every single bowl season we sit here and have these stupid debates anyways. Our bowl tie-ins are what they are, always have been, and always will be. They're always going to be crap bowls vs bottom teams. Why stress about it. We'll get lucky every decade or so and get a Maryland or Ole Miss because other teams can't fill their spot or we have some magical run. 90% of the time USF is going to be our ceiling.

Our bowl opponents have been SEC-Ole Miss, CUSA-Louisville, MWC-BYU, CUSA-Cincinnati, CUSA-ECU, CUSA-Louisville, CUSA-Cincinnati, MAC-OHIO, Sun Belt-FIU, ACC-Maryland, MAC-NIU, AAC-UCINN, MWC-Colorado State, and AAC-USF. Some of you always seem so shocked and appalled that we'd have to face a G5 opponent when that's happened 11/13 times. However I'm sure we'll get some 7 or 8 win G5 opponent and they'll be pages of upset people in total disbelief and blaming the conference for something that has occured in 85% of our bowl bids.

Last edited:
Reactions: herd66
Beating NIU in Boca did a lot for me as I had a great time at the bowl game and tailgate.I will be happy with any bowl win.If many of you do not like it ;go ahead and make yourself miserable.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Taking Marshall out of this for a minute...

WVU finished last season ranked in the top 25 (and spent a good chunk of it in the top 10).

WVU was 5-7 this year and beat one FBS team with a winning record.

That's an upswing?

Okee Dokee.
We would have possibly won 1 game on WVU’s schedule this year. You need to stop being ignorant or just blind to the fact that we’re regressing as a program. WVU lost coaches, and most offensive weapons and defensive front players to NFL or just seniors. We almost returned our entire offense and supposedly are defense was reloading since we had so much talent. This was supposed to be a big year for us we totally underperformed. ( I think it’s not all on the coaches, the recruiting talent gap between P5&G5 has started to play more of a factor since separation and only expect that to worsen when NCAA “pay to play” becomes effective.).. though I still believe better days are coming for our Herd, it will never be what we once inspired to have. I look at today’s Appalachian State team and envy them they are the Marshall team we once had and so badly want back!

Last edited:
Reactions: Marine03
We would have possibly won 1 game on WVU’s schedule this year. You need to stop being ignorant or just blind to the fact that we’re regressing as a program. WVU lost coaches, and most offensive weapons and defensive front players to NFL or just seniors. We almost returned our entire offense and supposedly are defense was reloading since we had so much talent. This was supposed to be a big year for us we totally underperformed. ( I think it’s not all on the coaches, the recruiting talent gap between P5&G5 has started to play more of a factor since separation and only expect that to worsen when NCAA “pay to play” becomes effective.).. though I still believe better days are coming for our Herd, it will never be what we once inspired to have. I look at today’s Appalachian State team and envy them they are the Marshall team we once had and so badly want back!

MU lost their best defensive player to a season ending broken neck.
Also lost their top 3 WR's.
MU had to run more TE's than normal as well as needing to change much of their offense because of this.
MU is fortunate Knox is an absolute beast of a RB and the team managed to click during conference play, when they very easily could have lost to WKU, FAU, and LT.
We got one WR back, and it showed how big of a difference just 1 can make against LT.
I don't follow wvu, all I know is they have a new coach and have OU's backup QB...and whatever, I am not shocked this season was as bad as it was for them, even their fans aren't too upset because they knew this too.
While MU had their team back, most of it, they also were without key pieces on both sides of the ball.

If the teams Boise would have played in their bowls that started their run were the equivalent of 2014 Illinois there would be no boise as we know them. They were beating teams like Oklahoma.

No. They were beating P5 teams of all levels - they had many games against bad, average, and good P5 teams. They consistently beat and/or competed well against those teams. If you want, I can take the time to break down all of their games against P5 teams to show that they played all levels of them.

That's the entire point. Marshall wouldn't miraculously have a program changing game against Illinois. The point is that when you start to string wins together against P5 teams, you start getting noticed and earning national buzz. Then, when you get a chance to beat a better P5 team, there is already established success against those teams and one win isn't considered a fluke.

Also. Marshall beating Illinois is not the equivalent of an FCS team beating an FBS opponent.

That's not what I said. If you can't read at least a fifth grade level, stop trying to argue, because you end up creating straw men.

What I said was that Marshall beating any P5 is better than beating a good G5 (outside of Boise) just like an FCS beating any FBS is better than beating a good FCS (outside of NDSU).

Have you ever thought about getting published? You'd make a great fiction writer.

It's all true, moron. Hell, I posted pictures of another person's Facebook pictures, which included me in it as well as my name. I've also posted on Pullman months ago about the Lakers owner wanting my junk and wanting me to visit her at her recently purchased. She also follows me on social media and frequently messages me.

How the hell else do I get access to inside the fvcking locker room?

Again, you can't read. Nobody has ever said that playing Illinois on its own would do anything major for a program. The point is that starting a streak of beating P5 teams, regardless of them being a 6-6 team, is what allows for a Boise situation to develop.

Beating a bunch of good G5 teams does absolutely nothing for a program to get elevated to the status we want Marshall to be. Beating a string of P5 teams absolutely does set Marshall up nicely for getting significant national attention, and then beating some top P5 teams after already getting some buzz starts putting them on the UCF level.

As much as I enjoyed playing Maryland that game didn't catapult us into the next stratosphere of CFB.

For the tenth time, nobody is arguing what you're arguing against. Stop with the straw men. Nobody is arguing that playing a singular P5 team is going to be program changing for Marshall. The point is that for Marshall to reach the Boise level, they must take as any opportunities they can get to play P5 teams, then when given those opportunities, win the majority of them.

Passing up those opportunities to play a good G5 team does absolutely nothing for Marshall's status even if they beat those good G5 teams over and over. Beating P5 teams over and over - at least the majority of the time - does lead to national buzz, respect, and an opportunity to get program changing wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT