ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck sums it up quite nicely

Landon worked for the Daily Mail, when it was an independent paper, as the WVU beat writer, then HSs, then Marshall. He never worked for the Gazette. By the “Dispatch” I suppose you mean the Herald-Dispatch. AFAIK “the Dispatch” is the Columbus paper.

You don’t know what you are talking about, and need to be quiet.

There is no mention of him being a WVU beat writer in his bio. Quit being an ass about everything. Geebus it must be a miserable life. Lighten up Francis.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
There is no mention of him being a WVU beat writer in his bio. Quit being an ass about everything. Geebus it must be a miserable life. Lighten up Francis.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me when he was with the Daily Mail that he did at one time cover WVU. I was glad when he came to the HD and started covering Marshall.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me when he was with the Daily Mail that he did at one time cover WVU. I was glad when he came to the HD and started covering Marshall.

If that’s the case, I stand corrected.
No mention of such in his bio. My apologies.

If that’s the case, I stand corrected.
No mention of such in his bio. My apologies.

That is right. The reason I know it is not because I looked it up on line, or even in some book, but because I have lived a life as a MU fan in this area for many many many years. Seeing, rather than reading about, this program’s rise from the ashes to glory, and not just the glory of beating Xavier in 71, but the rise from then through Sonny, to Parrish to Chaump to Donnan to Coach Pruett, and seeing the arrival of The Liar, KO Marcum, who destroyed everything that had been built. Today, to see the facilities we have, both those built before The Liar and, especially those built since he slithered away; to see who we play today and contrast it to the previous decades, when people would have told you that you were crazy if you believed any such thing was ever possible; to see MU as one of the top 135 programs not to mention in the top half of that (which is where we are), etc. means more than it ever can to people who could not tell you where Fairfield was without Google.

It is why I, and many others, understand what a great job MH, a Son of Marshall, is doing and why the baseball field will not be his final, or even greatest accomplishment as our best AD ever; and why I sometimes lose patience with people whose football knowledge is limited to stuff they read on Barstool and spewing out a few phrases and meaningless truisms about our WONDERFUL football coach.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Landon is a hater and a bitter dark hearted person who is on the backside of a failed life. He crawls out from under his rock every week to write the same story over and over.

Being an ex-WVU beat reporter, he knows how to push MU fans’ buttons.

So, WVU is on an “upswing”? Losing 6 of your last 8 games is an “upswing”? Beating a I-AA by one touchdown, 4-8 NC State, dysfunctional 3-9 Kansas, a lone win versus a team with something of a pulse, an 8-4 Kansas State by 4, and a 7-5 TCU, is an “upswing”? Being the only team EVER to see your coach move up by moving down to the G5 is an “upswing”? But more importantly, WVU is stuck, at least until the next great realignment, in a conference it CAN NEVER WIN. NEVER EVER. NEVER EVER NEVER. The Big 2, Little 8 was designed (and no, Texas’ bad coaching hire has not had it like that, but Texas is almost back, give it another year or two) to be settled between the Big 2, nine years out of 10. Period.

Since moving up from mid-major status in 12, WVU has finished 8th, 8th, T5th, T5th, 3rd (all it can EVER hope for, which was followed in typical WVU fashion with a bowl assream), T5th, 4th, and now T8th. Filling a field in a contest it can never win. Cashing a big check to take asswhippings and like it.

Until, the next great realignment comes. Texas and Oklahoma realize that it is becoming too hard to recruit when all you have to offer is playing each other and a bunch of cupcakes, when the SEC offers supreme competition weekly. They move on, and the Little 8 look for cover. Back to the mid-majors. The AAC beckons.

An upswing indeed.

How do you know so much about WVU’s history the last 7-8 years?

If both teams had 10 more games, I could see people getting worked up. Are we trending up for next season? We play at a young WKU team that it took a career long FG to beat on our home next year. We play an FIU team that just took us to overtime away next year. We have an up and coming Charlotte team that just embarrassed the program coming to our place next year. We play a brutal G5 OOC next year. This year looks like it was our year to win the damn conference, and it was blown. So I ask, who thinks we are trending up?

Last edited:
Reactions: HerdFan73
If both teams had 10 more games, I could see people getting worked up. Are we trending up for next season? We play at a young WKU team that it took a career long FG to beat on our home field away next year. We play an FIU team that just took us to overtime away next year. We have an up and coming Charlotte team that just embarrassed the program coming to our place next year. We play a brutal G5 OOC next year. This year looks like it was our year to win the damn conference, and it was blown. So I ask, who thinks we are trending up?

I'm convinced that next year's results will shut up one side of this debate or the other.

Well, if you watched how much they improved throughout the course of the year you would objectively agree, I believe. Holgs got out because the cupboard was bare, Brown showed improvement with what was left and when he changed QBs their offense improved.[/QUOTE
I definitely can't agree. I believe WVU started out 3-1 and finished the year at 5-7. Going 2-6 to finish the season is not showing improvement, no matter how you slice it.

Landon is a hater and a bitter dark hearted person who is on the backside of a failed life. He crawls out from under his rock every week to write the same story over and over.

Being an ex-WVU beat reporter, he knows how to push MU fans’ buttons.

So, WVU is on an “upswing”? Losing 6 of your last 8 games is an “upswing”? Beating a I-AA by one touchdown, 4-8 NC State, dysfunctional 3-9 Kansas, a lone win versus a team with something of a pulse, an 8-4 Kansas State by 4, and a 7-5 TCU, is an “upswing”? Being the only team EVER to see your coach move up by moving down to the G5 is an “upswing”? But more importantly, WVU is stuck, at least until the next great realignment, in a conference it CAN NEVER WIN. NEVER EVER. NEVER EVER NEVER. The Big 2, Little 8 was designed (and no, Texas’ bad coaching hire has not had it like that, but Texas is almost back, give it another year or two) to be settled between the Big 2, nine years out of 10. Period.

Since moving up from mid-major status in 12, WVU has finished 8th, 8th, T5th, T5th, 3rd (all it can EVER hope for, which was followed in typical WVU fashion with a bowl assream), T5th, 4th, and now T8th. Filling a field in a contest it can never win. Cashing a big check to take asswhippings and like it.

Until, the next great realignment comes. Texas and Oklahoma realize that it is becoming too hard to recruit when all you have to offer is playing each other and a bunch of cupcakes, when the SEC offers supreme competition weekly. They move on, and the Little 8 look for cover. Back to the mid-majors. The AAC beckons.

An upswing indeed.
I don't often agree with you Sam, but that is a pretty right on synopsis.

Reactions: The Real SamC
to see MU as one of the top 135 programs not to mention in the top half of that (which is where we are),

Even @Aaron Perkins laughed at the absurdity of that. Including BYU and ND, there are 66 P5 teams. Then, you can add in the many G5 teams that are far superior including Boise, UCF, Cinci, Memphis, Houston, San Diego State, Air Force, etc.

Now, to be able to fit in the top 135 programs (which would have to include some FCS teams), list the seven P5 or the G5 programs that I listed which Marshall has a superior program than.

I've
“Landon is a hater and a bitter dark hearted person who is on the backside of a failed life. He crawls out from under his rock every week to write the same story over and over.”

On the backside of a failed life in which he has held this gig since 1970, when he shared a dorm with many of those who perished in the plane crash.

I know his actual ties to Marshall don’t fit his detractors’ narrative about him, but it has never effected his ability to do the job that he has held for nearly 50 years, despite those who have taken his views so personal over the years and called for his head.

I’m assuming the failed life comment is a shot at his personal life which if so, I would consider that a “dark hearted” response to a column about college football.
I have known Chuck since he was at MU in the early 70's. I see him regularly around mostly at Herd hoops practice like I did yesterday. He is a great guy and he loves Marshall. As for a wvu connection, he hates having to write about wvu but with the reduced staff of both area papers, some consolidating was done and his employer added that to his job responsibility. He like most of us has bills to pay and you usually do what the boss asks.

It's hard to recruit talented kids to come to WV. Southern kids would rather stay where it is warm most of the year. We get some props but apparently so do the other CUSA schools. WV only produces a few good kids each year, so we have to go out of state. I would like to suggest that coaches look closer at Ohio as a fertile ground for recruits. Columbus has now replaced Cleveland and Cincinnati as the top area for good recruits. Pepe should be able to find some good ones for Doc. Danny found Harris and Kinsey in the Columbus area.

It's hard to recruit talented kids to come to WV. Southern kids would rather stay where it is warm most of the year. We get some props but apparently so do the other CUSA schools. WV only produces a few good kids each year, so we have to go out of state. I would like to suggest that coaches look closer at Ohio as a fertile ground for recruits. Columbus has now replaced Cleveland and Cincinnati as the top area for good recruits. Pepe should be able to find some good ones for Doc. Danny found Harris and Kinsey in the Columbus area.

Isn't Knox from Columbus?

Reactions: caliherd

Sorry man. Doc's recruiting "genius" lies in the fertile soils of the sunshine state.

He was referencing how each team finished the season - wvu winning on the road against a solid opponent while Marshall needing overtime to win at home against an average team.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

All I ask from people is logic and reason. I don’t even ask for objectivity because their is inherent bias and subjectivity in every opinion, but let’s break this down...

I can’t read the article because of paywall, but I assume you’re referring to “wvu winning on the road against a solid opponent”, that solid opponent is TCU, right?

So, TCU, who was 5-6 at the time is a solid opponent.

Yet, FIU, is “an average team” yet they went on the road a week before and beat a power 5 team in Miami FL.

How many W’s against P-5 teams does the C-USA have in 2019?

Get outta here with this.

I don’t live in Huntington. I didn’t go to Marshall. So, I don’t have this WVU/MU fire that most have...

But, WVU was awful. Congrats on being better late in the year when the schedule got easier and nobody got up for them. That stuff doesn’t carry over either.

To try and tell me that WVU is trending positively when they finish 5-7 is nuts. CFB seasons are 1 year data sets because of turnover and scheduling.

Also, the amount of time you people spent wasting on whether someone is an MU or WVU guy, or who they support more is idiotic.

You don’t like what they right for whatever reason? Then don’t read it...but don’t say they’re some ____ homer to discredit them.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

All I ask from people is logic and reason. I don’t even ask for objectivity because their is inherent bias and subjectivity in every opinion, but let’s break this down...

I can’t read the article because of paywall, but I assume you’re referring to “wvu winning on the road against a solid opponent”, that solid opponent is TCU, right?

So, TCU, who was 5-6 at the time is a solid opponent.

Yet, FIU, is “an average team” yet they went on the road a week before and beat a power 5 team in Miami FL.

If you ask for logic and reason from others, you should try holding yourself to the same standard (and you should also learn the difference between “their” and “there”).

Simply looking at a team’s record to determine if it is a solid team or not is foolish, much like the rest of your post.

Imagine if a team played a schedule of Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, Utah, Georgia, Oklahoma, Baylor, Auburn, Oregon, LSU, and Penn State.

Now, imagine that team went 5-6 against that schedule. That would prove they are solidly a part of that group and one of the top 10 teams in the country.

Yet your argument is that a 5-6 team can’t be a solid team based on its record. Logic and reason? You’ve used neither.

In the case of Baylor, they lost to an 11-1 Big 12 team in 3 OTs. The my list to another 11-1 Big 12 team by a few points. They lost to a 10-2 AAC team by one possession. They lost to an 8-4 Big 12 team by one possession. They lost to another 8-4 team by one possession. In fact, all of their losses except for one were by one possession.

What does that show? It shows they were one small piece away from not just being solid, but rather, great.

That’s why Sagarin’s formula has them #33 in the country. Care to see where FIU is ranked compared to TCU in every major rating?

You don’t like what they right for whatever reason? .

I believe you mean “write” and not “right.”

Don’t ever try arguing logic and reason on here when 1) your argument has neither 2) you don’t know the difference between “their” and “there” 3) you don’t know the difference between “write” and “right.”

If you ask for logic and reason from others, you should try holding yourself to the same standard (and you should also learn the difference between “their” and “there”).

Simply looking at a team’s record to determine if it is a solid team or not is foolish, much like the rest of your post.

Imagine if a team played a schedule of Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, Utah, Georgia, Oklahoma, Baylor, Auburn, Oregon, LSU, and Penn State.

Now, imagine that team went 5-6 against that schedule. That would prove they are solidly a part of that group and one of the top 10 teams in the country.

Yet your argument is that a 5-6 team can’t be a solid team based on its record. Logic and reason? You’ve used neither.

In the case of Baylor, they lost to an 11-1 Big 12 team in 3 OTs. The my list to another 11-1 Big 12 team by a few points. They lost to a 10-2 AAC team by one possession. They lost to an 8-4 Big 12 team by one possession. They lost to another 8-4 team by one possession. In fact, all of their losses except for one were by one possession.

What does that show? It shows they were one small piece away from not just being solid, but rather, great.

That’s why Sagarin’s formula has them #33 in the country. Care to see where FIU is ranked compared to TCU in every major rating?

I believe you mean “write” and not “right.”

Don’t ever try arguing logic and reason on here when 1) your argument has neither 2) you don’t know the difference between “their” and “there” 3) you don’t know the difference between “write” and “right.”

JFC...I’m on a phone. You’re one of those guys?

Reason and logic are not tied to literacy, which is what you were trying to show.

Let’s break this down into simpler, Lehman terms...

Your argument is that WVU’s victory over TCU, who you heartless as a solid team, is a positive for them. However, Marshall’s struggled win over an average team, FIU, isn’t a positive. Thus, WVU has had a better end of season at 5-7 as opposed to Marshall at 8-4. Right?

My argument is that TCU cannot be a solid team and FIU an average one.

Using Safari rankings does **** for your argument. Of course, TCU is going to be higher than FIU in Sagarin and any other ratings you provide.

There are 2 teams in the Top 50 that aren’t in the AAC or P5 - Louisiana and NDSU. The highest is FAU at 58, then another drop before the next mid-major in there.

So, telling me that Marshall beating a 117th Sagarin rated team means they are below average is a complete misrepresentation of those ratings.

The truth is this. TCU has been completely self destructing AND has a **** ton of injuries. You wanna tell me that’s a good loss because they lost some close games to a couple of good teams, then by all means, that’s your prerogative.

FIU just came off a win where they were a 3 TD underdog to a middle of the road P5 school.

You know how many wins this conference has against P5 or AAC schools? 3..
WKU beat the piss out of Arkansas (who is terrible)
FIU best UMASS (who is terrible)
FIU best UM-FL

That’s it.

So comparing FIU to every other FBS school isn’t logical. Comparing them to other CUSA schools, how they’ve played recently, the spot, etc. is more sound.

Beating FIU was fine. It was neither good or bad. It was expected. It was ugly, but they won.

Because of that, it doesn’t mean that WVU, who was 5-7, should get awarded any points for upsetting a team that also wasn’t good.

Reason and logic are not tied to literacy, which is what you were trying to show.

Your argument is that WVU’s victory over TCU, who you heartless as a solid team, is a positive for them. However, Marshall’s struggled win over an average team, FIU, isn’t a positive. Thus, WVU has had a better end of season at 5-7 as opposed to Marshall at 8-4. Right?

Using Safari rankings does **** for your argument. Of course, TCU is going to be higher than FIU in Sagarin and any other ratings you provide.

There are 2 teams in the Top 50 that aren’t in the AAC or P5 - Louisiana and NDSU. The highest is FAU at 58, then another drop before the next mid-major in there.

So, telling me that Marshall beating a 117th Sagarin rated team means they are below average is a complete misrepresentation of those ratings.

The truth is this. TCU has been completely self destructing AND has a **** ton of injuries. You wanna tell me that’s a good loss because they lost some close games to a couple of good teams, then by all means, that’s your prerogative.

FIU just came off a win where they were a 3 TD underdog to a middle of the road P5 school.

FIU best UM-FL

That’s it.

So comparing FIU to every other FBS school isn’t logical. Comparing them to other CUSA schools, how they’ve played recently, the spot, etc. is more sound.

Beating FIU was fine. It was neither good or bad. It was expected. It was ugly, but they won.

Because of that, it doesn’t mean that WVU, who was 5-7, should get awarded any points for upsetting a team that also wasn’t good.
No desire to get in the middle of this but U Mass is not a P5 school

No desire to get in the middle of this but U Mass is not a P5 school

Sorry thought they were AAC, but they are an Independent.

I consider AAC their own (did I use their right??) tier, because they produce more than one good team per year, consistently.

Sorry thought they were AAC, but they are an Independent.

I consider AAC their own (did I use their right??) tier, because they produce more than one good team per year, consistently.
I'm not sure if you are here to troll or not. Everyone knows that the AAC is a G 5 conference. For the record I don't care if you spell right or slaughter the grammer. By the way Rifle is going to smack you hard anytime now.

FIU best UM-FL

That’s it.

There are so many illogical arguments in your rant that it would take an hour to explain all of them to you. Worst, you just argued a bunch of shit that I didn’t comment on.

I didn’t argue that wvu’s win in their last game meant they had an upward trajectory while Marshall’s won over an average FIU meant it was a downward trajectory. Landon was the one who argued that.

What I argued was that TCU is a solid team and FIU is not. That’s why TCU has computer rankings in the low 30s and why FIU is more than twice that.

And anyone who thinks UMass is a P5 or in the AAC has absolutely no business discussing which FBS teams are solid or not.

Five straight years without even a DIVISION championship? I didn't realize it had been that long.

There is simply no justification for that considering the quality of programs in the division. Marshall has major advantages in almost all of the significant categories over the rest of the division. That's unbelievable.
Ten years in and we have a senior class that was never even C-USA East champs.

FIU best UM-FL

That’s it.

Layman you mean?

There are so many illogical arguments in your rant that it would take an hour to explain all of them to you. Worst, you just argued a bunch of shit that I didn’t comment on.

I didn’t argue that wvu’s win in their last game meant they had an upward trajectory while Marshall’s won over an average FIU meant it was a downward trajectory. Landon was the one who argued that.

What I argued was that TCU is a solid team and FIU is not. That’s why TCU has computer rankings in the low 30s and why FIU is more than twice that.

And anyone who thinks UMass is a P5 or in the AAC has absolutely no business discussing which FBS teams are solid or not.

Cool.

Again, you keep throwing out the Sagarin rankings. FIU is a solid team compared to Marshall, considering coming off the win they did.

What was Miami FL ranked before they lost to FIU.

You keep throwing out computer rankings to invalidate a team that Marshall played, but all of these teams are like ranked 80+ in the rankings.

Telling me that FIU is a below average team because they’re being ranked against every team in CFB is skewing the data.

I'm not sure if you are here to troll or not. Everyone knows that the AAC is a G 5 conference. For the record I don't care if you spell right or slaughter the grammer. By the way Rifle is going to smack you hard anytime now.

I have no idea who the hell rifle is.

“Rifle is going to smack you hard anytime now.” Get off his nuts maybe?

This....is weird. A grown man saying another grown man will smack me around on an internet message board. I’m glad you all are a small subset of Marshall fans because...it ain’t good.

Best part of a message board is the anonymity and ability to voice your opinion.

Being clique-y like this is gross.

I’ll watch my back for rifle though. It may make its way all the way here in Vienna...because us normal, non-WV folk like to travel and see the world and it’s different culture.

There’s actually some better food out there besides Fat Patty’s and Sheetz.

Cool.

Again, you keep throwing out the Sagarin rankings. FIU is a solid team compared to Marshall, considering coming off the win they did.

What was Miami FL ranked before they lost to FIU.

Let's be honest about that win over Miami. Miami has been a shell of themselves over the last several years. They finished the season 6-6(4-4) and had a hard time getting to that mark. FIU can forever say they beat Miami, but let's not sit here and act like beating the 2019 Hurricanes is a program validating win. It's not. I don't care about their history. Right now. In 2019, Miami is a bottom P5 team. It's a cool win and I'd like to beat Miami too, but when you drill down it's not near the accomplishment it used to be.

Let's be honest about that win over Miami. Miami has been a shell of themselves over the last several years. They finished the season 6-6(4-4) and had a hard time getting to that mark. FIU can forever say they beat Miami, but let's not sit here and act like beating the 2019 Hurricanes is a program validating win. It's not. I don't care about their history. Right now. In 2019, Miami is a bottom P5 team. It's a cool win and I'd like to beat Miami too, but when you drill down it's not near the accomplishment it used to be.
Not sure we should be downing any P5 win. Va Tech scheduled us as a gimme win to get bowl eligible last year... their worst team in decades, that lost to ODU, dominated us in spite of multiple players on their team trying to lose.

Not sure we should be downing any P5 win. Va Tech scheduled us as a gimme win to get bowl eligible last year... their worst team in decades, that lost to ODU, dominated us in spite of multiple players on their team trying to lose.

I said it was still a nice win, but beating Miami this year does't mean your team is really good. From a competitive standpoint there really isn't that large of gap between the bottom of the P5 and the top of the G5. If Miami is a validation for FIU then it should validate us because FIU jumped out to a 23-0 lead on Miami, held them off, and won 30-24 putting them away late. Then they come here and we take them down.

I said it was still a nice win, but beating Miami this year does't mean your team is really good. From a competitive standpoint there really isn't that large of gap between the bottom of the P5 and the top of the G5.

Which is exactly why MH was correct to play the 10-3 MAC Champion NIU Huskies, rather than the 6-6 5th in their division, beat a I-AA, a 7-5 CUSA, a 7-5 Sun Belt, a 7-5 Minnesota, a 6-6 probation Penn State, and a 5-7 Northwestern, Illinois Illini back in 2014; despite the protests of the keyboard warriors.

Correct.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Which is exactly why MH was correct to play the 10-3 MAC Champion NIU Huskies, rather than the 6-6 5th in their division, beat a I-AA, a 7-5 CUSA, a 7-5 Sun Belt, a 7-5 Minnesota, a 6-6 probation Penn State, and a 5-7 Northwestern, Illinois Illini back in 2014; despite the protests of the keyboard warriors.

Correct.

I never have had an issue with that game. All of our fans just see P5 and the jersey and overvalue. Those same fans that complained then still complain and still contend that playing Illinois would have been a bigger win and springboard for the program. Boy playing that 2014 Illinois team did wonders for LaTech didn't it. Illinois is as about as irrelevant as any other bottom feeder team in CFB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT