ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck sums it up quite nicely

Five straight years without even a DIVISION championship? I didn't realize it had been that long.

There is simply no justification for that considering the quality of programs in the division. Marshall has major advantages in almost all of the significant categories over the rest of the division. That's unbelievable.

Taking Marshall out of this for a minute...

WVU finished last season ranked in the top 25 (and spent a good chunk of it in the top 10).

WVU was 5-7 this year and beat one FBS team with a winning record.

That's an upswing?

Okee Dokee.

Well, if you watched how much they improved throughout the course of the year you would objectively agree, I believe. Holgs got out because the cupboard was bare, Brown showed improvement with what was left and when he changed QBs their offense improved.

WVU finished last season ranked in the top 25 (and spent a good chunk of it in the top 10).

That's an upswing?

Okee Dokee.

He was referencing how each team finished the season - wvu winning on the road against a solid opponent while Marshall needing overtime to win at home against an average team.

Trending? I guess its up to interpretation.

One team won 6 of their last seven games.
One team won 2 of their last seven games.

But the 2/7 is trending up and 6/7 down?

One team has 1 conference champion since 2014.
One team has 0 conference champion since 2014.

The team with the conference championship is the one trending down?

Typical Chucky.

Typical Chucky.

I don't think we want to compare records since 2014...big difference in big 12 and cusa. We just need to get john the hell out of here and start over

Typical Chucky.
You think our program is where it should be? We are a major underachiever in football. Wvu is at a huge disadvantage in the big 12. We have advantages in cusa.

Well, if you watched how much they improved throughout the course of the year you would objectively agree, I believe. Holgs got out because the cupboard was bare, Brown showed improvement with what was left and when he changed QBs their offense improved.
I watched them quite a few times. They looked okay. Nothing special.

People act like they were Kansas in 2018. They weren't. Yes, Will Greer graduated and the roster had a good bit of turnover but Brown still had quite a bit of talent to work with this year.

That's an upswing?

Okee Dokee.

You can’t see the way they finished and compare to us? They didn’t lose to anyone as bad as Charlotte or MTSU did they?

I get it. Not sure I would classify TCU as solid (it is all relative, right?) but I get it.

They are ranked #33 in Sagarin.

They beat a solid Texas, lost in three overtimes to an 11-1 Baylor, lost by 4 to an 11-1 Oklahoma, lost by 3 to a 10-2 SMU, lost by 7 to an 8-4 Oklahoma State, lost by 7 to an 8-4 Kansas State, and lost by 4 to wvu.

Six of their seven losses were by one possession including three by a total of 10 points against three opponents with a combined record of 32-4.

They didn't just go an average 5-7. They very easily could have won six other games, three of which were very small margins against some of the best teams in the country.

There's a reason why Sagarin has them so high.

They are ranked #33 in Sagarin.

They beat a solid Texas, lost in three overtimes to an 11-1 Baylor, lost by 4 to an 11-1 Oklahoma, lost by 3 to a 10-2 SMU, lost by 7 to an 8-4 Oklahoma State, lost by 7 to an 8-4 Kansas State, and lost by 4 to wvu.

Six of their seven losses were by one possession including three by a total of 10 points against three opponents with a combined record of 32-4.

They didn't just go an average 5-7. They very easily could have won six other games, three of which were very small margins against some of the best teams in the country.

There's a reason why Sagarin has them so high.
That's fair. I remember their game against Baylor but didn't realize they had so many other close losses.

I don't hate WVU. Really couldn't care less about them. Just don't think they are on this obvious upward swing as a program.

I think they’re upside is much better than ours right now. They have a head coach that’s breathing some excitement into their program by the way they have competed. Ours is on a downward spiral judging off the attendance and on the field product. If you can’t see that I don’t know what else can be said here.

I watched them quite a few times. They looked okay. Nothing special.

People act like they were Kansas in 2018. They weren't. Yes, Will Greer graduated and the roster had a good bit of turnover but Brown still had quite a bit of talent to work with this year.
WVU's oline was sick bad. Dana left Neal with and offensive guard that never played high school football and only one year of juco. He had a converted freshman dlineman at the other guard and they center was left to a redshirt freshman that got hammered all year long. Their right tackle could hold his own pass blocking but had no clue in the run game. Left tackle was good. Then add to this no backups. Dana should be ashamed at leaving such a mess. IMO, 4 of WVUs starters would not start at Marshall right now.

I think they’re upside is much better than ours right now. They have a head coach that’s breathing some excitement into their program by the way they have competed. Ours is on a downward spiral judging off the attendance and on the field product. If you can’t see that I don’t know what else can be said here.
Our loss to Charlotte was horrific. Been a long time since I was THAT upset about a loss. I'll probably never get over it.

Doesn't mean I think the comparison Chuck used with WVU was a good one.

Reactions: ohio herd
I get it. You're unable to understand nuance and context. You probably think wins are an important stat for pitchers in baseball.

And there we have it. You can’t have a debate without a personal insult. You’re no different than coach Stowers, when you have nothing you go there.

Reactions: Elkview
And there we have it. You can’t have a debate without a personal insult. You’re no different than coach Stowers, when you have nothing you go there.
My apologies. I probably could have left out the baseball dig but you didn't leave me much to work with after your last comment. Nothing more frustrating to me than a "Ok, but no" reply.

My apologies. I probably could have left out the baseball dig but you didn't leave me much to work with after your last comment. Nothing more frustrating to me than a "Ok, but no" reply.
This kinda reminds me of that typical husband and wife fight over one of them responding with "Whatever". It usually just makes things worse! Lol

Landon is a hater and a bitter dark hearted person who is on the backside of a failed life. He crawls out from under his rock every week to write the same story over and over.

Being an ex-WVU beat reporter, he knows how to push MU fans’ buttons.

So, WVU is on an “upswing”? Losing 6 of your last 8 games is an “upswing”? Beating a I-AA by one touchdown, 4-8 NC State, dysfunctional 3-9 Kansas, a lone win versus a team with something of a pulse, an 8-4 Kansas State by 4, and a 7-5 TCU, is an “upswing”? Being the only team EVER to see your coach move up by moving down to the G5 is an “upswing”? But more importantly, WVU is stuck, at least until the next great realignment, in a conference it CAN NEVER WIN. NEVER EVER. NEVER EVER NEVER. The Big 2, Little 8 was designed (and no, Texas’ bad coaching hire has not had it like that, but Texas is almost back, give it another year or two) to be settled between the Big 2, nine years out of 10. Period.

Since moving up from mid-major status in 12, WVU has finished 8th, 8th, T5th, T5th, 3rd (all it can EVER hope for, which was followed in typical WVU fashion with a bowl assream), T5th, 4th, and now T8th. Filling a field in a contest it can never win. Cashing a big check to take asswhippings and like it.

Until, the next great realignment comes. Texas and Oklahoma realize that it is becoming too hard to recruit when all you have to offer is playing each other and a bunch of cupcakes, when the SEC offers supreme competition weekly. They move on, and the Little 8 look for cover. Back to the mid-majors. The AAC beckons.

An upswing indeed.

Landon is a hater and a bitter dark hearted person who is on the backside of a failed life. He crawls out from under his rock every week to write the same story over and over.

Being an ex-WVU beat reporter, he knows how to push MU fans’ buttons.

So, WVU is on an “upswing”? Losing 6 of your last 8 games is an “upswing”? Beating a I-AA by one touchdown, 4-8 NC State, dysfunctional 3-9 Kansas, a lone win versus a team with something of a pulse, an 8-4 Kansas State by 4, and a 7-5 TCU, is an “upswing”? Being the only team EVER to see your coach move up by moving down to the G5 is an “upswing”? But more importantly, WVU is stuck, at least until the next great realignment, in a conference it CAN NEVER WIN. NEVER EVER. NEVER EVER NEVER. The Big 2, Little 8 was designed (and no, Texas’ bad coaching hire has not had it like that, but Texas is almost back, give it another year or two) to be settled between the Big 2, nine years out of 10. Period.

Since moving up from mid-major status in 12, WVU has finished 8th, 8th, T5th, T5th, 3rd (all it can EVER hope for, which was followed in typical WVU fashion with a bowl as team), T5th, 4th, and now T8th. Filling a field in a contest it can never win. Cashing a big check to take asswhippings and like it.

Until, the next great realignment comes. Texas and Oklahoma realize that it is becoming too hard to recruit when all you have to offer is playing each other and a bunch of cupcakes, when the SEC offers supreme competition weekly. They move on, and the Little 8 look for cover. Back to the mid-majors. The AAC beckons.

An upswing indeed.

Landon was never a WVU beat reporter. He has always been a columnist for either the Gazette or Dispatch.

Reactions: mlblack16.
“Landon is a hater and a bitter dark hearted person who is on the backside of a failed life. He crawls out from under his rock every week to write the same story over and over.”

On the backside of a failed life in which he has held this gig since 1970, when he shared a dorm with many of those who perished in the plane crash.

I know his actual ties to Marshall don’t fit his detractors’ narrative about him, but it has never effected his ability to do the job that he has held for nearly 50 years, despite those who have taken his views so personal over the years and called for his head.

I’m assuming the failed life comment is a shot at his personal life which if so, I would consider that a “dark hearted” response to a column about college football.

You think our program is where it should be? We are a major underachiever in football. Wvu is at a huge disadvantage in the big 12. We have advantages in cusa.
No I do not think the program is where it should be. But writing and article about trending with W/L that don’t support the trend you write about is a waste of time. Maybe WV fans felt better after last game than MU fans but not a trend

Landon was never a WVU beat reporter. He has always been a columnist for either the Gazette or Dispatch.

Landon worked for the Daily Mail, when it was an independent paper, as the WVU beat writer, then HSs, then Marshall. He never worked for the Gazette. By the “Dispatch” I suppose you mean the Herald-Dispatch. AFAIK “the Dispatch” is the Columbus paper.

You don’t know what you are talking about, and need to be quiet.

Reactions: 19MU88
Not sure the point of the article. We win 6 out of 7 to end the year and we are down trending? Granted the Marshall program is certainly not "on fire" but neither is the WVU program. The bar has been set high at both schools, both of whom have had better days.Granted we play in a less challenging conference. Anything short of Marshall reproducing the magical run from 1997 through 2002 will be disappointing to many. I am sure for eer fans the same could be said of their times when they won the big east and played for a NC on two occasions (88/93).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT