ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland?

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
Rumor mill has Marshall vs. Duquesene basketball for next season moving to the Cavaliers' arena in Cleveland, as a sort of under-card game to the Ohio State-WVU made for TV matchup. December 29th, apparently MU-DU to follow the noon OSU-WVU game. One ticket covers both games, according to the rumor.

Why?

OK. I assumed that this was in place of the Duquesene return game. $50K is nice, sad to say, I really don't see how we bring $50K in value to the table but if the Cavs or whoever is running this deal wants to pay, there you go.

I would assume that an Ohio State game against any semi legitimate opponent anywhere in Ohio is going to sell out anyway, probably a 80-20 or better scarlet and grey crowd. If we really are the second game, it reminds me of the old days when we would have DHs with the women's team. If the women played first, it was cool because people would drift in as the game was going on and by the end there was a nice crowd seeing them play, but sometimes they played second and 98% of people left before they even started.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
OK. I assumed that this was in place of the Duquesene return game. $50K is nice, sad to say, I really don't see how we bring $50K in value to the table but if the Cavs or whoever is running this deal wants to pay, there you go.

I would assume that an Ohio State game against any semi legitimate opponent anywhere in Ohio is going to sell out anyway, probably a 80-20 or better scarlet and grey crowd. If we really are the second game, it reminds me of the old days when we would have DHs with the women's team. If the women played first, it was cool because people would drift in as the game was going on and by the end there was a nice crowd seeing them play, but sometimes they played second and 98% of people left before they even started.

Herdmeister will be able to confirm if my info is correct.

I like this idea, nothing wrong with taking a check to play in an NBA arena, but wonder about the timing... As was mentioned above, I cant imagine a whole lot of Ohio State fans want to stick around to watch MU and Duquesne.

My guess would be they have some corporate sponsor up their sleeve and this is going to be one of those "(Insert corporate name) Basketball Classic" type events for marketing purposes, so they needed two more teams to come play and Marshall/Duquesne were close by and scheduled to play each other anyway.

Either way, there is really no downside. Maybe we even get a highlight or two on Sportscenter.

A promoter, with Huntington ties, put together this match. In essence he rented the arena and is paying the 4 schools to play. He then keeps any profits.
$50k for a neutral court game for a mid major isn't bad money. The kicker is, Marshall still gets to keep a home game with Duquesne except 1 year later.
This is so important for the fact that it fills another spot in the schedule. Putting together a basketball schedule is a tough thing to do, That is why more and more conferences are now going to a 20 game conference schedule

I like this idea, nothing wrong with taking a check to play in an NBA arena, but wonder about the timing... As was mentioned above, I cant imagine a whole lot of Ohio State fans want to stick around to watch MU and Duquesne.

Actually, I believe that the Marshall game is the preliminary game. That means I will exit the arena at it's conclusion. I have no interest in seeing wvu or OSU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT