ADVERTISEMENT

Colonel Robert "Bull" Wolverton

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Colonel Robert "Bull" Wolverton (29), commander of the 3rd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division getting his gear ready to jump into Saint-Côme-du-Mont, Normandy on June 5th, 1944. On that evening, he gathered his 750 men in an orchard adjacent to what is now Exeter airport, and said:

"...if die we must, that we die as men would die, without complaining, without pleading and safe in the feeling that we have done our best for what we believed was right."

Sadly, within hours, Wolverton, landed and became entangled in a tree just outside Saint-Côme-du-Mont. Within moments, he was struck by German patrol, killing him before his feet ever landed on French soil. His body was left hanging from the tree for three days and was used as target practice by the Germans. It is written that when Colonel Wolverton's body was recovered by American soldiers, the beloved commander of the 3/506 had over 150 bullet holes and bayonet wounds in his body. His possessions had also been looted from him, including pictures of his wife and toddler son.

Wolverton's remains were eventually recovered and sent back to the United States, and he was buried with full honors in the cemetery of his beloved alma mater: the United States Military Academy at West Point. Robert was awarded the Legion of Merit posthumously.

Despite his horrific death, Wolverton's legacy endured. His prayer was cited by President Ronald Reagan in a 1984 speech from Normandy on the 40th anniversary of the invasion and recounted in numerous books throughout the years.

I just got back from France.

I guess I didn’t realize it, but they seem to have a lot of appreciation for the US in WW2. Of course a lot of our alliances were just the French helping us to F with the Brits…but I really got a sense the French appreciated the US. Lots of WW2 monuments and reverence for US founding fathers over there.

I also found their people to be pretty friendly, especially if you greet them with an Appalachian poor attempt at speaking French first.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT