ADVERTISEMENT

Corning, New York

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
From the Appalachian Region Commission, via the state of New York web-site

The Appalachian portion of New York State ("Appalachian New York"), contains the following fourteen counties: Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Schoharie, Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga and Tompkins. This region is most commonly known as New York's "Southern Tier."

From Wikipedia , proving the backbround of Corning, New York.

Corning is a city in Steuben County, New York, United States, on the Chemung River. The population was 10,551 at the 2020 census. It is named for Erastus Corning, an Albany financier and railroad executive who was an investor in the company that developed the communi

In summary, rifle, you are just a hillbilly like the rest of us. We welcome you brother. You just have a different accent. Redneck with money and a taste for huge gold chains. You fit right in with some of my cousins. Got that big gold chain, fancy car, but can't keep a job. All kinds of crazy women around and still reliving the glory days of baseball.

Is that why you are drawn to this forum?

Last edited:
They are two entirely different worlds.

Bachelor's degree or higher

Corning: 44%
Huntington: 30%

Household income

Corning: $53k
Huntington: $34k

Persons in poverty

Corning: 16%
Huntington: 31%

Population per square mile

Corning: 3421
Huntington: 2888

Persons under 65 without health insurance

Corning: 4%
Huntington: 11%

Crime rate

Corning: 3.45
Huntington: 6.95

Fortune 500 company headquarters

Corning: 1
Huntington: 0

They are two entirely different worlds.

Bachelor's degree or higher

Corning: 44%
Huntington: 30%

Household income

Corning: $53k
Huntington: $34k

Persons in poverty

Corning: 16%
Huntington: 31%

Population per square mile

Corning: 3421
Huntington: 2888

Persons under 65 without health insurance

Corning: 4%
Huntington: 11%

Crime rate

Corning: 3.45
Huntington: 6.95

Fortune 500 company headquarters

Corning: 1
Huntington: 0
Still part of Appalachia, brother.

Is he really from Corning though or a smaller town outside of Corning? That’s like being from sissonville and telling people you are from Charleston.
Good Point. Is he from the Pocatalico of the Corning area?

Pocatalico
redneck-wut.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ohio herd
Generations of my family lived on Long Island (300 years worth). Of course it was New Amsterdam when they arrived. We can’t stand the hicks from Corning.

Generations of my family lived on Long Island (300 years worth). Of course it was New Amsterdam when they arrived. We can’t stand the hicks from Corning.
I can't believe they ever moved from the house where they first established a homestead. How selfish of them to not consider their offspring's memories. Sound like a bunch of dickheads.

Reactions: Rock98Dog
I can't believe they ever moved from the house where they first established a homestead. How selfish of them to not consider their offspring's memories. Sound like a bunch of dickheads.
Much like in life, you’re failing miserably on this board.

That comment I use against Banker is due to his hypocrisy. He said that I only care about money and nothing else, yet he sold his house and inconvenienced his family all due to a little bit of money.

I saw a menu for a summer wine and bbq dinner and one of the wines is from Finger Lakes, NY.

Is that Appalachia still? Corning is definitely Appalachia. Embrace it, rifle. Give in to the dark side of Appalachian fatalism.

Much like in life, you’re failing miserably on this board.

That comment I use against Banker is due to his hypocrisy. He said that I only care about money and nothing else, yet he sold his house and inconvenienced his family all due to a little bit of money.
#1 You know nothing about my life.
#2 I’m pretty sure he gave several valid reasons (not that it is even any of your business) for his decision to sell. You have no clue as to whether anyone in his family was inconvenienced. You were reaching, you still are.

I know Corning made little white bowls with blue flowers that my mother loved. They made my shower. They made the glass for the Hubble telescope. I don’t believe any of that was made in New York. Figures.

I saw a menu for a summer wine and bbq dinner and one of the wines is from Finger Lakes, NY.

Is that Appalachia still? Corning is definitely Appalachia. Embrace it, rifle. Give in to the dark side of Appalachian fatalism.
The Finger Lakes are 20 minutes from Corning. It's well worth a visit for those of you who shower at least weekly. Numerous major celebrities have been buying property and/or vacationing there over the years.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
#1 You know nothing about my life.
I know that you lack basic logic in you arguments. I know that your grammar/spelling is atrocious. Those things lead me to believe you aren't very bright. People who aren't very bright usually don't have much success in life. So I am confident that I know quite a bit about your life.

#2 I’m pretty sure he gave several valid reasons (not that it is even any of your business) for his decision to sell. You have no clue as to whether anyone in his family was inconvenienced. You were reaching, you still are.
And one of those reasons he gave was due to making money, which hypocritically, he said was all that I cared about. I'm not sure "inconvenienced" is the right word. It was more like theft- theft of the memories of his children.

Can you look in your archives and show me where I claimed “making money” was a reason I moved? I moved to a smaller, less expensive home and am 58 and retired from daily work. I live off investment income from dividends and K-1 income, and that is less than my income from working.

Reactions: 19MU88
I know that you lack basic logic in you arguments. I know that your grammar/spelling is atrocious. Those things lead me to believe you aren't very bright. People who aren't very bright usually don't have much success in life. So I am confident that I know quite a bit about your life.

And one of those reasons he gave was due to making money, which hypocritically, he said was all that I cared about. I'm not sure "inconvenienced" is the right word. It was more like theft- theft of the memories of his children.
Judging someone’s grammar/spelling on a message board is weak. This isn’t a formal form of communication. Your confidence is blinding you from reality - you know nothing.
Stick with your fake persona shtick, some on here actually don’t mind interacting with that guy.

• Haha
Can you look in your archives and show me where I claimed “making money” was a reason I moved? I moved to a smaller, less expensive home and am 58 and retired from daily work. I live off investment income from dividends and K-1 income, and that is less than my income from working.
Sure. My brain is an extremely impressive archive:

You sold a mortgage-free house for $400k. You then paid cash for a smaller, $330k house. You flipped about the reasons why you moved a few times, but the reasons you listed included:
1) So you could live down the street from your mother-in-law (proof #1 that you’re a fool)
2) Smaller yard to take care of
3) No pool to take care of
4 Fishing in the river

You said that you could have accomplished those things by moving into a nicer $800k house down the street in Roman Harbor, but “why bother” spending the extra money? The fact that you didn’t want to spend more for the same thing but a nicer version is because it was about money, thus a reason you chose to move to that house was to make money.

Judging someone’s grammar/spelling on a message board is weak . . . Your confidence is blinding you from reality - you know nothing.
For a native speaker, grammar/spelling is a major sign of intelligence. Intelligence has a substantial impact on success. Based on your horrendous spelling/grammar, I’m confident that you’re not very successful.

Stick with your fake persona shtick, some on here actually don’t mind interacting with that guy.

“Some”? More like “all.” It’s why my name is on the marquee outside of this joint and why you’re the unnoticed usher in the nosebleeds.

For a native speaker, grammar/spelling is a major sign of intelligence. Intelligence has a substantial impact on success. Based on your horrendous spelling/grammar, I’m confident that you’re not very successful.

“Some”? More like “all.” It’s why my name is on the marquee outside of this joint and why you’re the unnoticed usher in the nosebleeds.
You can repeat it again if you want, its still weak and it will be the next time you use it too. Having the ability to recognize formal vs informal communications isn't something that is hard to grasp. If you are having difficulty grasping such a simple concept perhaps you need to have your intelligence questioned? Since you like repetitiveness, I'll play along - your confidence is blinding you from reality, you know nothing.

Sure. My brain is an extremely impressive archive:

You sold a mortgage-free house for $400k. You then paid cash for a smaller, $330k house. You flipped about the reasons why you moved a few times, but the reasons you listed included:
1) So you could live down the street from your mother-in-law (proof #1 that you’re a fool)
2) Smaller yard to take care of
3) No pool to take care of
4 Fishing in the river

You said that you could have accomplished those things by moving into a nicer $800k house down the street in Roman Harbor, but “why bother” spending the extra money? The fact that you didn’t want to spend more for the same thing but a nicer version is because it was about money, thus a reason you chose to move to that house was to make money.

What money did I make? I converted $70k in equity into cash, but that isn’t making money, that’s asset conversion. Not buying an $800k house didn’t make me money, it just didn’t require me to convert $400k in cash into real estate equity.

And my MIL is a great lady that has treated me like a son for the last 40+ years. She’s 82 and the last “parent” I have. If I can be closer and help her out it’s not proof that I’m a fool.

What money did I make? I converted $70k in equity into cash, but that isn’t making money, that’s asset conversion. Not buying an $800k house didn’t make me money, it just didn’t require me to convert $400k in cash into real estate equity.
It absolutely is making money. Your equity is unrealized until it’s converted into cash because it’s only a potential profit/gain.

This is basic stuff, Banker. I’m now understanding why you “retired” if you’re trying to argue otherwise. Regroup, claim you misspoke, and come back with a better try.

You can repeat it again if you want, its still weak and it will be the next time you use it too. Having the ability to recognize formal vs informal communications isn't something that is hard to grasp. If you are having difficulty grasping such a simple concept perhaps you need to have your intelligence questioned? Since you like repetitiveness, I'll play along - your confidence is blinding you from reality, you know nothing.
Basic grammar and spelling isn’t something that should take effort for intelligent people. Regardless of if it’s informal, intelligent people still don’t spell things incorrectly or use incorrect grammar.

It absolutely is making money. Your equity is unrealized until it’s converted into cash because it’s only a potential profit/gain.

This is basic stuff, Banker. I’m now understanding why you “retired” if you’re trying to argue otherwise. Regroup, claim you misspoke, and come back with a better try.

Basic grammar and spelling isn’t something that should take effort for intelligent people. Regardless of if it’s informal, intelligent people still don’t spell things incorrectly or use incorrect grammar.
This would look so much better. Hahhaaa

Regardless of the formality,

Still weak

• Haha
If I made money, what was the increase in my net worth?
Let me help walk you through how your attempt fails, so that I don't have to embarrass the "banker" at what should be his own expertise.

If I had a $50k income in 2022, did I make $50k (minus taxes, etc.)?

Let me help walk you through how your attempt fails, so that I don't have to embarrass the "banker" at what should be his own expertise.

wow conflating asset conversion with ordinary taxable income. what he lacks in knowledge he makes up for in confidence.

pulling equity out of a house is income. who knew? that $400 house very easily could have been sold at a loss even with equity. rifle should stick to stalking baseball players.

Invalid comparison

Others have already pointed it out, so please don’t consider this piling on, just educational.

You rightly note that you would have to pay taxes on the earned income of $50,000. How much in taxes did I have to pay on the equity conversion from the sale of the house? That’s right, none. Why? Because it wasn’t income. I didn’t make any money.

If you buy a car for $50,000, have it for two years and sell it for $30,000 did you make money? After all, you had a paid for car but now you have $30,000 in cash.

Here is the financial statement:
Before
Assets:
House - $400,000
Liabilities:
Mortgage - $0
Net Worth - $400,000

After
Assets:
House -$330,000
Cash - $70,000
Liabilities:
Mortgage - $0
Net Worth - $400,000

Again, where did I make money?

And my MIL is a great lady that has treated me like a son for the last 40+ years. She’s 82 and the last “parent” I have. If I can be closer and help her out it’s not proof that I’m a fool.
Well good for you for helping out an old lady that has been good to you.

My MIL is not a pleasant person, and my wife was clear she was good to be moving away from her 🤣

Well good for you for helping out an old lady that has been good to you.

My MIL is not a pleasant person, and my wife was clear she was good to be moving away from her 🤣
You lucky. I had that buffer zone when I lived in Alabama and Louisiana but that distance is down to 2 hours now that I’m near Cincy. My parents live near my wife’s parents so this was the best I could do for a buffer and still be close to them.

Has your wife been to LB county where you are moving? I mean I like it because it’s where my dad is from but it would be an acquired taste for someone not from that area.

wow conflating asset conversion with ordinary taxable income. what he lacks in knowledge he makes up for in confidence.
Invalid comparison
That wasn't the analogy, morons. You both should learn to respond to questions only posed to you. I was trying to walk the numerically challenged banker through his illogic, but he refused to answer a simple question.

If you buy a car for $50,000, have it for two years and sell it for $30,000 did you make money? After all, you had a paid for car but now you have $30,000 in cash.
But that isn't what you did. You bought a house, sold the house, made money on it, then bought another house for less money.

It's why you'd either have to pay capital gains on the first part of the transaction or fall under one of the exclusions. If you didn't make money, like you said, you wouldn't have to worry about capital gains or the exclusions.

Your equity is an unrealized gain until you sold the asset. I own 25k shares of a stock that jumped from about $.70 to $2.10 in a very short amount of time over the last couple of months. I don't have to pay taxes on that gain until I actually make money from it, because it's an unrealized capital gain. That stock could have gone from $.70 to $21,000, and I wouldn't have to pay any taxes on it until I sold it. Likewise, your equity was unrealized and wasn't you making money until you sold it.

I didn't make any money on that stock just because the value of it increased. I will only make money on it when I sell it. Likewise, your "asset conversion" was where you made money when you sold it. You didn't make money when the property had built equity. You made money when you sold it.

• Haha
You confidently exposed yourself as clueless. Thx for yet another laugh.

However, if you’ve owned your home for at least two years and meet the principal residence rules, you may be able to exclude some or all of the long-term capital gains tax that would be owed on the profit. Single people can exclude up to $250,000 of the gain, and married people filing a joint return can exclude up to $500,000 of the gain.1
Congress.

However, if you’ve owned your home for at least two years and meet the principal residence rules, you may be able to exclude some or all of the long-term capital gains tax that would be owed on the profit. Single people can exclude up to $250,000 of the gain, and married people filing a joint return can exclude up to $500,000 of the gain.1
Congress.
No shit, you piece of shit as a human. That’s why I made multiple comments about “exclusions” to having to pay capital gains on those transactions.

Can any of you deplorables master third-grade reading comprehension?

The point is that if it’s not “making money,” then you wouldn’t need to pay cap gains or an exclusion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT