ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy night at the Capitol

Not true. One the state has to have it. Two, with more money comes more expectations and accountability. In West Virginia's case it is unreasonable not to think your healthcare is going up ever(when everybody with a health insurance plan took a hit). And, teachers up there said it was about their health care and not money anyway.

Yes, I have an issue with teachers walking off their job.

You can attempt to sell that to someone else. The teachers were ready to settle for the 5% raise promised them along with the task force promised to tackle the health insurance problem. The WV senate then cut the raise to 4%. Teachers say no thanks.

Not true.

You've already shown differently. You stated the 25 year old could take the 60 year old's job with nothing but a good interview and some recommendations. Then you're going to pay that 25 year old (that you think is better) $17,000 less. That's your idea of making things better. No thanks.

You can attempt to sell that to someone else. The teachers were ready to settle for the 5% raise promised them along with the task force promised to tackle the health insurance problem. The WV senate then cut the raise to 4%. Teachers say no thanks.
Guess, they need a civics class.

You've already shown differently. You stated the 25 year old could take the 60 year old's job with nothing but a good interview and some recommendations. Then you're going to pay that 25 year old (that you think is better) $17,000 less. That's your idea of making things better. No thanks.
Most 25 year olds are not going to take the 60 year old's job unless the 60 year old is a bad teacher.

And we have a way to do that already that doesn't include how well you interview.
It is more than an interview, dingleberry. That's only part of it. You have a system based on bidding and who has been there longer. Not who is the best teacher. You also have a system where you kids have been out of school for 9 days. And, one of the worst school systems in the country. You have the least amount of college grads perhaps in the country. And, are in a poor state that has generations of people leaving. But, yeahh it is working out for you.

It is more than an interview, dingleberry. That's only part of it. You have a system based on bidding and who has been there longer. Not who is the best teacher. You also have a system where you kids have been out of school for 9 days. And, one of the worst school systems in the country. You have the least amount of college grads perhaps in the country. And, are in a poor state that has generations of people leaving. But, yeahh it is working out for you.

You've not offered a system that can rate teachers. You've offered a system as to how well they interview. If you really want to convince me you're concerned about how long WV kids have been out of school, then we'll revisit this on your states summer vacation. If YOUR kid's education is traumatized by 9 days off school, then I have bad news, your kid ain't going to make it anyway. This "poor state" isn't going to be helped by your philosophy of bending over and taking it.

Joe Manchin’s statement on WV teacher’s strike...

“It is time to get our kids back to school, and the only group standing in the way is Senate Republicans. Everyone else agrees on the deal to reopen our schools - a bipartisan coalition of educators, parents, Democrat and Republican House Legislators, and the Governor. But for some reason, Senate Republicans are choosing to keep our schools closed and kids at home over one percent. West Virginia families deserve better. When I visited with educators two weeks ago at the state capitol, they told me they want to be back in their classrooms.”

"I've seen this dysfunction in Washington. Sadly, just like in Washington, it looks like political gamesmanship is winning the day and preventing a bipartisan compromise led by the Governor to help our educators and public employees, fix our PEIA system and get students learning again from becoming law. I urge the Senate Republican leadership to stop playing games and send our kids back to school."

“It is time to get our kids back to school, and the only group standing in the way is Senate Republicans. Everyone else agrees on the deal to reopen our schools - a bipartisan coalition of educators, parents, Democrat and Republican House Legislators, and the Governor. But for some reason, Senate Republicans are choosing to keep our schools closed and kids at home over one percent. West Virginia families deserve better. When I visited with educators two weeks ago at the state capitol, they told me they want to be back in their classrooms.”

"I've seen this dysfunction in Washington. Sadly, just like in Washington, it looks like political gamesmanship is winning the day and preventing a bipartisan compromise led by the Governor to help our educators and public employees, fix our PEIA system and get students learning again from becoming law. I urge the Senate Republican leadership to stop playing games and send our kids back to school."

Glad he at least took a side.

Reactions: WV-FAN
You've not offered a system that can rate teachers. You've offered a system as to how well they interview. If you really want to convince me you're concerned about how long WV kids have been out of school, then we'll revisit this on your states summer vacation. If YOUR kid's education is traumatized by 9 days off school, then I have bad news, your kid ain't going to make it anyway. This "poor state" isn't going to be helped by your philosophy of bending over and taking it.

Hey Greed,

see below and you know what NC teachers did? They didn't get a pay raise when the economy went bad for about 4 years. The state government froze it so the books could get in order. You can't give a raise with money you don't have. Then, just got smaller ones and things improved. Now, check this out.

Just announced.

North Carolina's average teacher pay has surpassed the $50,000 mark for the first time, hitting $51,214 this school year – a $1,244 increase from the previous year, according to estimates released by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.

Last year, North Carolina ranked 35th in the nation for average teacher pay and fifth in the Southeast, according to the National Education Association. The group is expected to release this year's rankings in a few months.1

The State Board of Education has set a goal to become No. 1 in the Southeast.

NC average teacher pay surpasses $50,000

http://www.wral.com/nc-average-teacher-pay-surpasses-50-000/17395506/

Glad Joe Manchin would never participate in political gamesmanship. Idiot.

Really? Parents, you better start realizing the world is competitive and you need to realize education is part of that.

28685252_10156152367691798_6708267175080556213_n.jpg

Hey Greed,

see below and you know what NC teachers did? They didn't get a pay raise when the economy went bad for about 4 years. The state government froze it so the books could get in order. You can't give a raise with money you don't have. Then, just got smaller ones and things improved. Now, check this out.

Just announced.

North Carolina's average teacher pay has surpassed the $50,000 mark for the first time, hitting $51,214 this school year – a $1,244 increase from the previous year, according to estimates released by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.

Last year, North Carolina ranked 35th in the nation for average teacher pay and fifth in the Southeast, according to the National Education Association. The group is expected to release this year's rankings in a few months.1

The State Board of Education has set a goal to become No. 1 in the Southeast.

NC average teacher pay surpasses $50,000

http://www.wral.com/nc-average-teacher-pay-surpasses-50-000/17395506/

Hey moron.....

When adjusted for inflation, North Carolina's average teacher salary dropped more than 13 percent from 1999 to 2015, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. The U.S. average teacher salary dropped 1.8 percent in that same time frame.

Really? Parents, you better start realizing the world is competitive and you need to realize education is part of that.

28685252_10156152367691798_6708267175080556213_n.jpg

If this is even accurate....why send you kids on make up days???

Does anyone actually believe anyone will be “teaching” during that time? Pffft.

Hey moron.....

When adjusted for inflation, North Carolina's average teacher salary dropped more than 13 percent from 1999 to 2015, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. The U.S. average teacher salary dropped 1.8 percent in that same time frame.
Agree, but teachers here took at hit and now they are back up to a decent level. Everybody sacrificed during the recession. THey are boosting salaries and got nice raise last year. They never walked out.

If this is even accurate....why send you kids on make up days???

Does anyone actually believe anyone will be “teaching” during that time? Pffft.
i am sure the teachers have been working hard on lesson plans and thinking of ways to catch the children back up in timely but effective manner. I am sure their partners at the WVEA and AFT have been right there with them at the tip of the educational spear.

i am sure the teachers have been working hard on lesson plans and thinking of ways to catch the children back up in timely but effective manner. I am sure their partners at the WVEA and AFT have been right there with them at the tip of the educational spear.

Maybe. Our teachers have been making sure the kids eat. That's fairly important to some people.

WV teachers have not gotten an across-the-board raise since 2011.
They have maintained low insurance rates while most of the country was hit hard in that area. They have seen a decline in the states major resource at the same time. THe country went through a major recession at the end of 2008.

Look I am all for getting more money, but there has to be expectations, standards, and a reasonable approach and request while looking out after financial burdens and cost in the long run.

Last edited:
Hey moron.....

How much of that was from retirement? Myself and my brother were in school during about half of that time and we had a lot of old teachers that were retiring.

They have maintained low insurance rates while most of the country was hit hard in that area. They have seen a decline in the states major resource at the same time. THe country went through a major recession at the end of 2008.

Look I am all for getting more money, but there has to be expectations, standards, and a reasonable approach and request while looking out after financial burdens and cost in the long run.

In this state, you don't always get by with raising pay by $500 per year and increasing health insurance premiums by $300 per month. All while reducing corporate income taxes by $800 million since 2009. No. Enough of that.

In this state, you don't always get by with raising pay by $500 per year and increasing health insurance premiums by $300 per month. All while reducing corporate income taxes by $800 million since 2009. No. Enough of that.
Sure. Ok. hahahaaa. The state is a state of decay in many areas. Now, how are they going to pay for it? Are there going to be expectations set? No, likely not. What cuts are going to be felt? Kick the can down the road? Insurance is a mess everywhere. Why do teachers in WV think they are exempt from that? Are test scores going to go up? College grads going to go up? People going to stop leaving? How are the growing elderly populations going to pay for it?
Teachers going to get better?

Nobody thought about that did they?

Last edited:
Sure. Ok. hahahaaa. The state is a state of decay in many areas. Now, how are they going to pay for it? Are there going to be expectations set? No, likely not. What cuts are going to be felt? Kick the can down the road? Insurance is a mess everywhere. Why do teachers in WV think they are exempt from that? Are test scores going to go up? College grads going to go up? People going to stop leaving? How are the growing elderly populations going to pay for it?
Teachers going to get better?

Nobody thought about that did they?

It won't cure cancer, stop wars, or fix your ignorance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT