ADVERTISEMENT

Damn what a game

houston_herd_fan

Silver Buffalo
Mar 5, 2007
This team has absolutely no quit in them. Can't buy a basket for over 10 minutes, hard to rent one for most of the rest of the game. From what I saw it was not completely one sided refs wise but certainly looked like the calls favored ODU for most of the game (kinda hard to tell on internet TV). Very nice win gentlemen.

I did not have the luxury of watching the game... but 51 fouls?? (31-ODU 20 Marshall)... Why do CUSA refs feel like they have to always control the game? Good thing The Herd can make free throws unlike past years!!

The thing that I saw from the refs at least in the first half it looked like when we were on Def got called and when we on offense did not get the same calls off the ball. when we started driving to the basket started getting a bunch of bump calls. Refs were pretty weak I thought.

There were a bunch of calls both sides that I thought were ticky tack, there were some significant things I saw both sides that shiould have been called and was not. But not a referee, from a fan perspective I was like damn why was that not a foul.

I was in attendance tonight. I give Marshall players their due. They did not quit and battled ODU to the end in overtime. I hope they keep it up.

Reactions: ohio herd
The refs also spent a lot of time watching replay to see who got the ball out of bounds, was it a 2 or 3 pt shot, etc. They need someone with a big screen TV to make it easier to make calls rather than to huddle around scorer's table a squint over the little box.

Reactions: nhstoc
Refs were terrible on both sides. Can't call it one sided when they had 11 more fouls than we did. They were bad all around.

We win and refs complains about the officials! Does it ever occur to you that perhaps the officials are right and you are wrong? Of course not.

We win and refs complains about the officials! Does it ever occur to you that perhaps the officials are right and you are wrong? Of course not.

Welcome to life as a Marshall fan. We have a genetic predisposition to complain. The last three years when Marshall was beating everyone in C-USA by 3 touchdowns posters still complained after every win. Now the basketball team is winning and they have to complain about something, lets complain about the refs!

One thing I realized last night, 90% of our fans don't know as much about basketball as they think they do. Don't even get me started on the "over the back!" crowd, considering theres no such thing...

Anyways, the game was poorly officiated but definitely equal in its distribution of bad calls.

EVERY school's fans complain about the refs. If you want to see complaining about refs, go to ODU's board and find the thread on last night's game. It's amazing to see the perspective difference of last night's game between our fans. They honestly believed that they were screwed out of the game with one sided officiating.

like i said,the officials were really bad on both sides. I could see them being upset. Just like i could see us being upset. But I don't think either side has a reason to complain. Oh well.

Officiating can favor one team while being very even in their calls for/against both teams.

For instance, with the way we screen, if an officiating crew is going to let a lot of moving screens go (we move a lot on our screens), that's an advantage for us because we set more than pretty much anyone we play. If the officials want to be extremely strict on how they call the screen game, it could favor the other team because they won't set as many as we do. The officials can call it evenly both ways, but how strict/loose they are with their calls can favor on team over another based on style of play.

Just like in football, if you have a team who throws a lot and they are playing a team who relies on the power run game/defense, how much contact the officiating crew allows the DBs to make can swing the game in favor of one team or the other when the calls are even on both sides.

fouls in the paint when driving was not my issue with the refs that looked like they called that fairly equal, maybe even favoring us in the second half (I do think we relayed much more on getting to the basket in the 2nd half. I was more discussing the first half with what I saw as ticky tack fouls we were getting vs seeing similar things being passed on for ODU. Overall the refs sucked period. Should we get to the tourney (NCAA or NIT) the refs most of the time are alot more allong the lines of let them play. We get used to the refs talking over the game it will hurt should we get there.

Was at the game. Will say that very early on, there seemed to be a lot of "jawing"/conversation between one ref, had a bald spot in back of his head, and MU bench/coaches, particularly DD. Jeff Jones of ODU is a VETERAN coach at pretty high D1 level schools with nearly 500 wins. Team is well coached, especially defensively, and plays a tight man to man.

Offensively, they set a lot of picks and had very athletic "bigs", around 6'7" or so, who move well. However, looked like they use the forearm a lot to ward off a defender or to initiate contact on a drive. Often, such contact resulted on a call against MU, and Danny D. was on the floor a lot and the Herd got the game's only Technical.

Could be that refs, particularly the one I noted, sensed MU was having trouble out of the gate offensively with ODU's physical D, and with Danny's "frustration" and the jawing from the bench, that the game could become too physical, and tried to "take control" with their whistles. I note that MU got hit with some calls on screens, picks, etc., and that one of the bigs for ODU seemed to not always be set when setting a pick on the offensive end. Don't believe we'll see too many Ds as tough in other conference games, or until we return game in Norfolk later this season.

Final note, ODU's talent that did MOST of their scoring last night consisted of sophomores, BJ Stith, Caver, Talley and Porter, who is 6'10", and the older Stith who is a tough rebounder, and sprained his ankle near end of first half, is a junior. ODU will be a tough foe for the next couple of years, folks, so it was great to get a tough win!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT