ADVERTISEMENT

Damn you, Big Box store

greengeezer

Platinum Buffalo
Dec 25, 2007
I was walking with my niece in her garden when I noticed a beautiful plant she had along the path. Each flower was so perfectly formed. I wanted one.

My niece said she remembered getting it at a local BB store, but she couldn’t remember which one or the name of the plant. I took a picture and did some research.

I discovered the plant was a variety of helleborus, more commonly known as a Lenten rose. I also learned that the plant can be highly toxic if ingested and even dangerous to touch for some people. It can cause skin rash and irritation.

I told my niece she might want to keep her grandchild away from that plant when she visited. My niece was very surprised at the dangers the plant posed and said it was probably the reason she had been to the dermatologist several times with serious skin rashes.

I enjoy working in my garden and I have become fairly knowledgeable over the years about plants. I know which ones have toxic seeds, leaves or flowers. It really surprises me that warning tags aren’t required on plants that can be deadly. We require warnings on a jar of peanut butter but, to my knowledge, not on toxic plants.

Last edited:
Reactions: 30CAT
I recently learned I'm allergic to some weird looking plant called cannabis. Upon inhaling, my eyes get really red and I start laughing hysterically at the dumbest of things, like grown men running through the streets in their underwear. I think I'm also allergic to hops. Read on the can where one shouldn't operate heavy equipment, so I had the old lady sawing some 2 x 4s for me yesterday. The can didn't say anything about screwing, so I screwed the screws into the boards and ended up with a brand new wood rack.

greed, what did the cans tell you yesterday?

I recently learned I'm allergic to some weird looking plant called cannabis. Upon inhaling, my eyes get really red and I start laughing hysterically at the dumbest of things, like grown men running through the streets in their underwear. I think I'm also allergic to hops. Read on the can where one shouldn't operate heavy equipment, so I had the old lady sawing some 2 x 4s for me yesterday. The can didn't say anything about screwing, so I screwed the screws into the boards and ended up with a brand new wood rack.

greed, what did the cans tell you yesterday?
This was a well written post, on topic, the author set the table perfectly, and ended the post (still on topic) with a stunning one liner to close it out.

Wake up people. Early Sunday morning post while recovering from OD of hops. I'm going to have to stop putting in an effort if masterpieces go unnoticed.

This was a well written post, on topic, the author set the table perfectly, and ended the post (still on topic) with a stunning one liner to close it out.

Wake up people. Early Sunday morning post while recovering from OD of hops. I'm going to have to stop putting in an effort if masterpieces go unnoticed.
Speaking of "big boxes," how is your Nicaraguan wife doing?
I was walking with my niece in her garden when I noticed a beautiful plant she had along the path. Each flower was so perfectly formed. I wanted one.

My niece said she remembered getting it at a local BB store, but she couldn’t remember which one or the name of the plant. I took a picture and did some research.

I discovered the plant was a variety of helleborus, more commonly known as a Lenten rose. I also learned that the plant can be highly toxic if ingested and even dangerous to touch for some people. It can cause skin rash and irritation.

I told my niece she might want to keep her grandchild away from that plant when she visited. My niece was very surprised at the dangers the plant posed and said it was probably the reason she had been to the dermatologist several times with serious skin rashes.

I enjoy working in my garden and I have become fairly knowledgeable over the years about plants. I know which ones have toxic seeds, leaves or flowers. It really surprises me that warning tags aren’t required on plants that can be deadly. We require warnings on a jar of peanut butter but, to my knowledge, not on toxic plants.
Geez, you need the Seek app. It’s free. It allows you to use the camera on your phone to scan and/or take a picture of vegetation or an animal, and it will tell you what it is and how many are in your area. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT