ADVERTISEMENT

D'Antoni signs his 2017 class (maybe)

KeatonsCorner

Platinum Buffalo
Nov 5, 2012
As this week was early signing week for College Basketball recruiting, all 4 of the verbal commits for MU Basketball put ink to paper and signed.

Jarrod West - 5'9 PG

Iran Bennett - 6'9 center

Darius George - 6'5 wing

Tanner Robinette - 6'7 stretch 4 PF

However, it is expected that at this time neither Robinette nor Bennett will be eligible to play when they arrive to Huntington, due to academics......... And Darius George wants to prep a year and move to 2018.

So realistically, Coach D'Antoni just signed a class of one eligible player for the 2017 season. In a year when Browning, Loop, Taylor, and at least one transfer-out will be leaving Marshall. On opening night this time next season, the active roster will be:

PG - Elmore (6'3), West (5'9)
SG - Watson (6'2), Allison (6'1)
Wing - Burks (maybe) (6'2), Nikolic (6'5)
Forward - Bledsoe (6'5), Theneinman (6'5)
PF/C - Thompson (6'6), Penava or Mijovic (6'9), Williams (6'9)

2017 small forward target Greg Jones, from Richmond, just committed to James Madison, so he's out of contention for another spot........... There's always the mystical "5th year transfer" rumor too, but right now it looks like Dan needs to hit the Junior College circuit to fill the final roster spots with game-ready talent and size

Will the lack of roster force Darius George to show up in 2017?

1. We asked George to prep. I suppose there's always a chance he could come next year but I wouldn't expect it.

2. From what I understand Robinette is not a sure-thing to sit out as a NQ.

3. Why is a grad transfer (or any other type of transfer) a myth? Nearly 700 kids transferred last year (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14390188/college-basketball-transfer-list), many of whom are eligible to play now.
Actually it's Bennett that could still qualify. He has the grades it's that he went to a diploma mill and some core classes won't be accepted. He is working on that. It's in the hands of the NCAA.
He was unquestionably the best player on the floor last night in the game between Huntington Prep and Hargrave. The Tigers PG, an Ohio State signee was the 2nd best. After that I would say it was a Prep junior and then Chase Johnson going to Florida.

Actually it's Bennett that could still qualify. He has the grades it's that he went to a diploma mill and some core classes won't be accepted. He is working on that. It's in the hands of the NCAA.
He was unquestionably the best player on the floor last night in the game between Huntington Prep and Hargrave. The Tigers PG, an Ohio State signee was the 2nd best. After that I would say it was a Prep junior and then Chase Johnson going to Florida.

Thanks for the update, @Herdmeister. I trust what you hear considering I know where it comes from.

I heard Beverly was very impressive last night as well. Sad thing is out of HS we were heavily involved in his recruitment but apparently never gave him a commitable offer.

1. We asked George to prep. I suppose there's always a chance he could come next year but I wouldn't expect it.

2. From what I understand Robinette is not a sure-thing to sit out as a NQ.

3. Why is a grad transfer (or any other type of transfer) a myth? Nearly 700 kids transferred last year (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14390188/college-basketball-transfer-list), many of whom are eligible to play now.

Didn't mean for the 5th year thing to be condescending. Was simply referring to how everyone was saying "We're getting a stud" from Hawaii all season long......... and then he didn't show up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT