ADVERTISEMENT

Death (Warning- Long Post)

Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 7, 2010
Home Wrecker
We all have had people die that were close to us - friends, family, co-workers, etc. About two weeks ago, a former American Legion baseball teammate died in a drug (I'm guessing meth) lab explosion/fire. It sucks, and I was upset for his family, but it wasn't something that shook me.

And I'm sure the closer you are to a person, the harder it is to get over. But have you ever had one that you just can't get over and know you never will be able to? We are wired to know our parents are supposed to go before us, so I think it's always harder when something is unexpected or happens to a younger person.

I met this girl (Amber) when I was 18 and she was 16. Amber grew up in Toms River/Seaside Heights, New Jersey. I think we were in Oneonta, NY or Cooperstown, NY for a baseball tournament (me, American Legion) and a soccer tournament (her). My American Legion team was an extremely talented but extremely rough group of kids (I believe six out of about 15 of the players on that team have already died from living life to the extreme). Hell, our head coach never played baseball in his life, was a 6'5, 290 lbs. brawler whose day job was working on road crews, and didn't care that the majority of his team was either hungover or still drunk while in the dugout. He didn't coach worth a shit (and he and we knew it), but he was the only person who would put up with being on the road with this group of kids. He was also the only one not too embarrassed to be a part of a team when a third of it was suspended by the state organization in the national championship tournament for trashing a hotel while drunk and high the night before the semifinals. But those are all stories for another day.

This girl and I hit it off immediately after she saw me playing in a game at a single A minor league stadium. For the next decade, we saw each other throughout the years. We met up in Albany, she visited me at Marshall, I went to NJ to visit her, she came to DC, etc. She was one of those girls that had I been smarter and more mature, I would have married. Sure, there was always a romantic aspect when we were together, and she pursued something more serious than I was ever ready for her at those times, but Amber was also just a kick-ass person. She was the type who everyone - no matter their background - loved. She was eternally optimistic. She was never down, always happy, and always positive to everyone. And I'm not one to memorialize people who die by claiming just a bunch of good stuff about them. I truly can't say anything bad about this girl, and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about her. She was the type who never cared about putting any makeup on. She was a take-me-as-I-am type of girl, the rare girl that age who didn't have a Facebook, hadn't posted anything in three years on Instagram (which she only had for her yoga practice), and was more about meeting up for a meal or drink in person instead of texting all day.

She was confident and a go-getter. She was a good but not great soccer player - all region in high school, won a state championship, etc. but she wasn't good enough to be recruited to play D1 soccer. She ended up playing intramural soccer at Rutgers. After a year of that, word got to the Rutgers coaches about how good she was, and she was offered a spot on the team after they saw her play in a game, which she accepted.

After college, she had a corporate sales job and quickly moved up to a management position where she had four or five account managers under her. She ended up marrying a financial adviser (Dave) who worked in Manhattan. They, cumulatively, were earning more than $300,000/year, bought their own house in Jersey, and had a very comfortable life. However, they were miserable. After their commutes home, they saw each other from about 7 pm until 6 am. After working out, dinner, shower, etc., they really had no time to enjoy each other or life. For a year, they talked about the important things in life, how they didn't want to raise children in the rat race of awful corporate jobs just for a high salary, and they decided to quit everything. Growing up, her husband had spent some time in a cool but very small town (resort area) in Colorado, and he dreamed of someday living there. She liked the idea, too, but they also needed a way to live. So while Amber quit her job to study to become a yoga instructor (which was comical watching her transform her body from a girl with soccer legs, a soccer butt, and extremely busty to a skinny and very toned yoga expert), Dave quit his job to move to that town of 1500 people and establish roots so he could get a decent job to support them.

He took his pickup truck and camper and lived in the woods for the next five months. She became a yoga instructor and set up classes teaching on paddle boards in the ocean at the Jersey shore and at a local studio. By all accounts, she was extremely popular as an instructor. Earlier in his life, he had a couple of companies - one was restoring boats and another made surfboards and skateboards. A former acquaintance contacted him and asked if he'd be interested in restoring the guy's boat that was docked in the Grenadines. The guy showed him all of the pictures of the boat, told him what needed to be done, and they agreed that it would take about three weeks to complete. The guy gave Dave the money for the job and told him that he was free to stay on the boat for the next three weeks until the job was finished. Dave had Amber come stay with him there. Working his ass off, he completed the job in just five days, so they had more than two weeks to relax on the islands. While at a beach side bar/paddle board joint, they met the owner. Coincidentally, the owner had just moved there a week ago . . . from the exact small town in Colorado (population: 1500) that Dave and Amber were going to live in. He asked them what they planned to do while there, and after Amber said she was trying to land a job there, the new friend said his buddy owned a brewery in the town and could always use help. Again, coincidentally, Amber had just applied for a job at that brewery a week earlier. The new friend called his buddy, went to bat for Amber to get the job, and she was hired by the time she had even left the Grenadines. That's just how life worked for her - people always took a liking to her and she always found a way to make things work.

They rented out their house in Jersey, and she moved out to Colorado with her husband. At that point, he was working for a landscaping company making $12/hour (he went from making $200,000/year to that) and she was doing sales for the brewery. He was literally on his hands and knees all day pulling weeds, she was selling growlers of beer, and they were ecstatic about their places in life even though they were probably earning 20% of their previous income. After being out there for a year, Dave ended up getting a job managing a restaurant/bar/music venue that was extremely popular with both locals and the constant tourists they had in the town. Less than a year ago, Amber gave birth to their first child. She was everything people want to be but never end up fulfilling. Everyone always imagines quitting the rat race and moving to the beach/woods/getting an enjoyable job with no stress and living off of the land, but they actually did it.

Since both of their families, which she was very close to, still lived in Jersey, they made frequent trips back. 12 days ago, while staying with family, Amber didn't wake up. I'm not sure of the official cause of death, but I was told that she passed in her sleep, it was complications of asthma, it was entirely unexpected, and that she didn't suffer. Nobody got to say bye to her, nobody got to tell her how much they loved her, and her 11 month old daughter didn't get to be held a final time. She was the type who guys with tattoos all of the way up their necks and huge ear gauge piercings thought she was their best friend, girls who played D1 sports wanted in their wedding parties, that her sister-in-law cherished, and that financial advisers married. She was the type you could go long periods of time without talking to, and within minutes, you picked right back up and had talked to her daily for a decade.

All of my grandparents have passed away, numerous good friends from high school and college have died since I was 15 years old, and I have understood that is part of life. But this is one I will never be able to get over. It's unfair that her husband won't get to grow old with her, that her daughter will have no memories of her, and that her siblings who were so close to her won't be able to feel whole again. But most of all, it is unfair to her, a person who did everything right, treated everyone right no matter who they were, and got cheated out of so much.

I'm the type who constantly is singing in my car, laughs out loud while listening to Stern, and throws things at the neighboring children to mess with them while I hide in my yard, but I don't think I have laughed or even smiled in 11 days. It's amazing how impacted you can be when something happens to somebody you talk to once every two years.

35kyI9N.jpg

p8Tqqcr.jpg

eKph0mZ.jpg

NFYGD0d.jpg

aR5bxLX.jpg

LihMjBy.jpg

TeVUrkY.jpg

I am sorry for your loss Rifle. I lost my brother in January and my mother in April this year. I guess I haven't been singing much lately either.

This story makes you so...I don’t know...human maybe? You don’t let your guard down often. As sad as this story is, I’m kind of cheered by the fact that you are purposely leaving yourself vulnerable by laying this story out there. Screw the macho stuff. It’s okay to feel something when someone you care about dies. Especially when they’re young. Sorry for your loss.

I always say that death is the one thing in life that is 100% guaranteed yet still a shock every time it happens. It’s something we all must come to grips with. I am blessed to still have both of my parents, but the last 2-3 years I have lost 2 uncles, a pastor, and a few other friends. I think of the song “If Tomorrow Never Comes” by Garth Brooks a lot. I make it an absolute point to let me wife and kids know all the time how much I love them, just so there is never any doubt in their minds should something happen to me.

Life is precious, man. You learn that as you get older.

By far the most heart wrenching story from you Rifle or from anybody. This post show's what I already knew. Rifle is a good ol boy who just wrote a post that wipes out his "I have no feelings" thing. That post bothered me. The 11 day part. When dad was murdered I cried everyday alot for a week. I don't think I went 11 days without smiling. Wonder how many women who passed by Rifle in those 11 days noticed his big smile missing? That is sad. So sorry for you and all the others who's life will not be as good without this one in a kind woman. Rifle ever finds someone like her I hope he settles down and has 3 little rifle's and one precious little girl who is secretly his favorite.

I have been paying closer attention to this lately. Maybe it is the older you get. But, we just lost a co-worker at 56 who has 4 kids. 2 Months ago she was working. Died last week. Then, a golf group I go on an annual trip with has lost a couple of guys in the last couple of years. Both in their 50's.

You never know when it will happen.

Thanks for sharing and that is a tragedy because of her age and the sudden passing. I feel for her family and her child to lose their mother that suddenly.

Thanks again. From your post, she seemed like a great person.

I always say that death is the one thing in life that is 100% guaranteed yet still a shock every time it happens. It’s something we all must come to grips with. I am blessed to still have both of my parents, but the last 2-3 years I have lost 2 uncles, a pastor, and a few other friends. I think of the song “If Tomorrow Never Comes” by Garth Brooks a lot. I make it an absolute point to let me wife and kids know all the time how much I love them, just so there is never any doubt in their minds should something happen to me.

I don’t know why this thread reminds me of the dialogue between Will and Sean in Good Will Hunting about how Sean gave up tickets to the World Series to be with a girl he just met. Probably the way rifle described this girl as being someone he enjoyed being around and how he could envision himself being with her, but they met at a time that he wasn’t ready. I think I’m reading regret in his post.

Here’s an awesome dialogue where Sean grabbed the opportunity without regret...

Will

So, when did you know, like, that she was the one for you?

Sean
October 21st, 1975.

Will
Jesus Christ. You know the ****in' date?

Sean
Oh yeah. Cus' it was game six of the World Series. Biggest game in Red Sox history.

Will
Yeah, sure.

Sean
My friends and I had, you know, slept out on the sidewalk all night to get tickets.

Will
You got tickets?

Sean
Yep. Day of the game. I was sittin' in a bar, waitin' for the game to start, and in walks this girl. Oh it was an amazing game, though. You know, bottom of the 8th Carbo ties it up at a 6-6. It went to 12. Bottom of the 12th, in stepped Carlton Fisk. Old Pudge. Steps up to the plate, you know, and he's got that weird stance.

Will
Yeah, yeah.

Sean
And BAM! He clocks it. High fly ball down the left field line! Thirty-five thousand people, on their feet, yellin' at the ball, but that's not because of Fisk. He's wavin' at the ball like a madman.

Will
Yeah, I've seen...

Sean
He's going, "Get over! Get over! Get OVER!" And then it HITS the foul pole. OH, he goes apeshit, and 35,000 fans, you know, they charge the field, you know?

fisk6.jpg
Will
Yeah, and he's ****in' bowlin' police out of the way!

Sean
Goin' "God! Get out of the way! Get 'em away!" Banging people..

Will
I can't ****in' believe you had tickets to that ****in' game!

Sean
Yeah!

Will
Did you rush the field?

Sean
No..I didn't rush the ****in' field, I wasn't there.

Will
What?

Sean
No..I was in a bar havin' a drink with my future wife.

Will
You missed Pudge Fisk's homerun?

Sean
Oh yeah.

Will
To have a ****in' drink with some lady you never met?

goodwill2.jpg
Sean
Yeah, but you shoulda' seen her. She was a stunner.

Will
I don't care if ****in'--

Sean
Oh no, no, she lit up the room.

Will
I don't care if Helen of Troy walks in the room, that's game six!

Sean
Oh, Helen of Troy..

Will
Oh my God, and who are these ****in' friends of yours they let you get away with that?

Sean
Oh...They had to.

Will
W-w-w-what'd you say to them?

Sean
I just slid my ticket across the table and I said, "Sorry guys, I gotta' see about a girl."

Will
I gotta' go see about a girl?

Sean
Yeah.

Will
That's what you said? And they let you get away with that?

Sean
Oh yeah. They saw in my eyes that I meant it.

Will
You're kiddin' me.

Sean
No, I'm not kiddin' you, Will. That's why I'm not talkin' right now about some girl I saw at a bar twenty years ago and how I always regretted not going over and talking to her. I don't regret the 18 years I was married to Nancy. I don't regret the six years I had to give up counseling when she got sick. And I don't regret the last years when she got really sick. And I sure as hell don't regret missin' the damn game. That's regret.

Will
Wow... Woulda' been nice to catch that game, though.

Sean
I didn't know Pudge was gunna hit a homer.

Sorry to hear about this.

She sounds like a great person.

I’ll also say that your grieving sounds very normal, and different people handle it differently, so a wide range of ways to take this. Not that you were questioning yourself, but I thought I’d at least say that if it brought any comfort.

Thanks for the condolences. It's not about me being upset/missing her. It's about how she got ripped off. It's unfair to her family and friends, but it's far more unfair for her.

I am sorry for your loss Rifle. I lost my brother in January and my mother in April this year. I guess I haven't been singing much lately either.

Sorry to hear that, Ohio.

This story makes you so...I don’t know...human maybe? You don’t let your guard down often. As sad as this story is, I’m kind of cheered by the fact that you are purposely leaving yourself vulnerable by laying this story out there. Screw the macho stuff. It’s okay to feel something when someone you care about dies. Especially when they’re young. Sorry for your loss.

I've said for decades not to judge me by how I act on here. I can't watch American Idol without tearing up.

I don't understand these sentiments from those who are religious. If you guys truly believe what you claim you do (that heaven is better than anything one could ever experience on Earth), why would there be any sadness, any fear, any hesitation, any belief that life on Earth is "precious"?

If somebody I cared about was getting a huge improvement regarding something about them, I would be very happy for them, not sad. It makes me question if you guys really are not as ignorant and naive as you act like and really aren't full believers in all of the foolishness your religions claim.

Reactions: ohio herd
I don't understand these sentiments from those who are religious. If you guys truly believe what you claim you do (that heaven is better than anything one could ever experience on Earth), why would there be any sadness, any fear, any hesitation, any belief that life on Earth is "precious"?

Does a belief in life after death mean that one cannot cherish the life you currently have? Can I not enjoy my children as they are now, or be sad if a child loses his or her mother and has to live their entire life without her?

And, to be quite frank, the thought of death scares me. The fear of the unknown scares me. I know what I have right now. I don’t know if what I believe will actually happen after I die. I simply believe and hope that it will. There’s no way to prove it, one way or the other, so I want to cherish every moment I have here.

So, the Bible is wrong? It's not God's word? It's not true?
Because the Bible tells you how you can know.
Then why do you need that Scientology stuff? I am being serious. Should the Bible and God's word be enough for you.

Then why do you need that Scientology stuff? I am being serious. Should the Bible and God's word be enough for you.

If you had even the slightest clue what you're talking about regarding both those religions, you wouldn't need to ask the question. I'm being serious, you're a bona fide idiot.

If you had even the slightest clue what you're talking about regarding both those religions, you wouldn't need to ask the question. I'm being serious, you're a bona fide idiot.
The Bible and God's word should be enough for you. You shouldn't need that other stuff.

The Bible and God's word should be enough for you. You shouldn't need that other stuff.

If you had even the slightest clue what you're talking about regarding both those religions, you wouldn't make that statement. I'm being serious, you're a bona fide idiot.

Damn, what a troll. Get them right in the feels with a possible fictional sad story then burns down own thread by bringing religion into it.

Good stuff.

So, the Bible is wrong? It's not God's word? It's not true?
Because the Bible tells you how you can know.

I know rifle brought this up, but, out of respect for his friend, I don’t want to argue about this in this thread.

Does a belief in life after death mean that one cannot cherish the life you currently have? Can I not enjoy my children as they are now, or be sad if a child loses his or her mother and has to live their entire life without her?

And, to be quite frank, the thought of death scares me. The fear of the unknown scares me. I know what I have right now. I don’t know if what I believe will actually happen after I die. I simply believe and hope that it will. There’s no way to prove it, one way or the other, so I want to cherish every moment I have here.

Doubt is the downfall. You either believe, or you don't and only those that believe gain the Kingdom of Heaven.

I'm not picking on you, my fear is who takes care of my girls when I'm gone? That's also showing a weakness in my belief of Christ by thinking that if I'm gone he won't watch after them. Had a friend say once that's it's not your job to protect your kids because it's impossible for you to do so. Your job is to rear your children, it's God's job to protect them because he's the only one that can. It's solid advice.

I know rifle brought this up, but, out of respect for his friend, I don’t want to argue about this in this thread.

Baloney. Whifflearm's intention was to have religion being discussed in this thread and your alleged reason for not wanting to discuss it is bogus.

Doubt is the downfall. You either believe, or you don't and only those that believe gain the Kingdom of Heaven.

I'm not picking on you, my fear is who takes care of my girls when I'm gone? That's also showing a weakness in my belief of Christ by thinking that if I'm gone he won't watch after them. Had a friend say once that's it's not your job to protect your kids because it's impossible for you to do so. Your job is to rear your children, it's God's job to protect them because he's the only one that can. It's solid advice.

I clearly said I believe. I guess my point is that you don’t get the validation until you’re actually in heaven.

I clearly said I believe. I guess my point is that you don’t get the validation until you’re actually in heaven.

You also clearly said....
I don’t know if what I believe will actually happen after I die. I simply believe and hope that it will.

That's not belief, that's hope. It sounds like you doubt God's word. There are things Christians can KNOW.

You also clearly said....

That's not belief, that's hope. It sounds like you doubt God's word. There are things Christians can KNOW.
But, you rely on Scientology . Not sure you are a good example to go by.

Only on Pullman Square can a nice heartfelt post turn into a selfish bitchfest between the usual suspects.

But, you rely on Scientology . Not sure you are a good example to go by.

I'm absolutely certain you don't have a clue what you're talking about. You know nothing about scientology or Christianity. You certainly don't know a good example when you see it, and the proof is in the pudding, you voted for cheetos.

I'm absolutely certain you don't have a clue what you're talking about. You know nothing about scientology or Christianity. You certainly don't know a good example when you see it, and the proof is in the pudding, you voted for cheetos.
Yehh Cheetos and your religious confusion are closely related. I hope you find your way.

I've said for decades not to judge me by how I act on here. I can't watch American Idol without tearing up.

So serious question...why act like an ass on here? Why not be yourself? Like last week, why would you insinuate that my wife only married me for a green card when you, being the "researcher" you are, probably knows she didn't need me to live in the US. I've always liked you thought you were a good dude but lately you've given me plenty of reasons to question that belief. Maybe you don't care what I think and that's fine but I don't see a good reason to be different on here.

If somebody I cared about was getting a huge improvement regarding something about them, I would be very happy for them, not sad. It makes me question if you guys really are not as ignorant and naive as you act like and really aren't full believers in all of the foolishness your religions claim.

I'm genuinely sorry for your loss. Being a believer doesn't make the loss of a loved one any easier sometimes. It doesn't mean you always have the answers when something like this happens. That said, I don't fear death. I don't fear the death of my wife and my family because I'm confident in the testimony they have as Christians. When I lost my Dad a couple of years ago I was heart broken. Why? Because I was never going to see him on Earth again. He was not going to see me get married the very next week. He wasn't going to get to meet my son...BUT I'm fully confident that he will meet his grandson one day. Even the Apostle Paul said that he was torn between Heaven and Earth because both are precious. So while I know that my dad is infinitely better off now than he was on Earth, I'm still selfish and miss him every day. I don't think that it's that hard to understand why, even believers, would feel sadness over the loss of a loved one.

Again, you probably won't care, but I'll be praying for you and this girls family. I know there are a lot of people that are hurt by this loss.

So serious question...why act like an ass on here? Why not be yourself? Like last week, why would you insinuate that my wife only married me for a green card when you, being the "researcher" you are, probably knows she didn't need me to live in the US. I've always liked you thought you were a good dude but lately you've given me plenty of reasons to question that belief. Maybe you don't care what I think and that's fine but I don't see a good reason to be different on here.
I think Rifle's issue is that he's simply lonely, and is at the beginning stages of a middle life crisis. He probably needs to drop the high expectations, and marry someone within his league, like someone that rates around a six. I feel bad that he's lonely and all, but at the same time, I have high hopes that he can soon meet Mrs. Right on one of the many dating sites available for him. That, or he should consider getting himself a kitty.

I think Rifle's issue is that he's simply lonely, and is at the beginning stages of a middle life crisis. He probably needs to drop the high expectations, and marry someone within his league, like someone that rates around a six. I feel bad that he's lonely and all, but at the same time, I have high hopes that he can soon meet Mrs. Right on one of the many dating sites available for him. That, or he should consider getting himself a kitty.
Those high maintenance women are good lookers and fun and all, but at some point you better take the 6 or 7 that is a good companion or a keeper.

Don't you draw the queen of diamonds boy, she'll beat you if she's able. The queen of hearts is always your best best.

I’m not picking on anyone who believes in heaven and/or hell or an “afterlife” but I personally believe when you die you return to a state of nonexistence, just like before you were born. I’m perfectly fine with that and I’m certainly not telling anyone else what to believe. I’m not trying to push my belief system on anyone else.

I don’t know if what I believe will actually happen after I die. I simply believe and hope that it will. There’s no way to prove it, one way or the other, so I want to cherish every moment I have here.

This is awesome and proves what I said. Most of your morons - when you get deep down to it - don't fully believe the bullshit your religions push onto you.

Hell, this guy's dad was a preacher and over the last few years he has held up a double middle-finger to the Bible while changing his belief on the age of the Earth and now he admits that he doesn't really know if it's true what the Bible tells him. Awesome. The next time people say I won't change anyone's mind about religion on here, link to this thread.

I appreciate the courtesy, but I brought it up. It's fair game.

I'm not picking on you, my fear is who takes care of my girls when I'm gone?

That depends on how they look in bikinis.

Your job is to rear your children,

Spoken like a true West Virginian. At least this guy acknowledges the incestuous hobby of the state.

it's God's job to protect them because he's the only one that can. It's solid advice.

I nominate this for the most outlandish and ridiculous comment on here for 2019.

Why bother feeding your daughter? If your god wants her, he will take her. Why bother she doesn't play in the street? If your god wants her, he will take her. Why bother doing anything to protect your children? After all, it's your god's job to protect them, because he's the only one that can.

A kidnapper tries ripping your daughter away from you? Go ahead. Your god will either protect or not protect her.

Truly, religion can take normal people and turn them into the dumbest, most illogical people on the planet.

So serious question...why act like an ass on here? Why not be yourself? Like last week, why would you insinuate that my wife only married me for a green card when you, being the "researcher" you are, probably knows she didn't need me to live in the US.

Here's yet another example of the hypocrisy of the Christian right. You're the one who took repeated jabs in that thread first. Only after watching you do it - including one you had previously failed attempting on Facebook - did I take a jab back about your green-card-chasing-wife.

But I'm the "ass on here" for taking jabs back at you after you did it first, right?

I don't think that it's that hard to understand why, even believers, would feel sadness over the loss of a loved one.

Yeah, for selfish reasons. Stop being so selfish and be thankful that person is in a better place (of course, sane people realize that belief is just a ploy to get people to feel better about the tragedy of death).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT