ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Derek Pitts

Well, he better get busy, lol. WVU’s ranking gets lower every single time a new US News Ranking issue comes out, I can remember when my brother applied to schools in the late 90’s (he chose Va Tech) WVU was 168. You’ve fallen 40 places.
I still say interesting how the figure these numbers. Upward mobility. lol?

So you missed the part of my post where I say WVU is spending more on facility upgrades right now then Marshall entire athletic budget. $10 million along on a golf facility. That is big-time and its all being done to stay relevant.

Did you do any research on how the calculated these numbers and the research period was started before Dr Gee even came back?

You are all over the place. The only comment I have made in this thread has to do with the academic rankings provided by US News. One of your fellow eerdiots used that as defense of what a wonderful academic institution WBU is, so that's why it came into play.

You are all over the place. The only comment I have made in this thread has to do with the academic rankings provided by US News. One of your fellow eerdiots used that as defense of what a wonderful academic institution WBU is, so that's why it came into play.
I don't care what he posted. The issue here is staying relevant! Spending $50 million on athletic upgrades and improving the research function of the school will be a huge help if a shake up does take place. Also winning.

Im not sure if this is correct or not but what I can tell you WVU will never be rated high ranked high like this because its a Land Grant school which means its a school for the people and you cant really exclude on admissions. I realize Herd fans are excited by the thought of WVU not getting into and staying in a P5 conference after the possible next round of shake ups but Dr Gee knows what needs to happen to stay at this level. First, the Big 12 income is HUGE right now and WVU is spending more on facility upgrades to stay relevant then then Marshalls entire athletic budget. WVU is building a new swimming center, doing $25 million in additional upgrades to the football stadium(they just spent a huge sum of cash already under Luck) and indoor practice facility, and spending $10 million on buying a golf course and renovating it for its golf program. This does not include the 20 million on a new baseball staduim. Second, as stated WVU cant and wont start increasing its standards to get in because of its Land Grant status and lets be real, WVU needs to increase enrollment and not cut off enrollment lists like the one attached WVU will always do poorly do admission standards, but where it can improve is research. Thanks to jay Rockefeller's donation WVU is becoming a national leader in research for Brain injury and research. Several years ago WVU researchers won national acclaim for its emissions research on Volkswagon and how they were breaking a US law on how they lied with emissions on their vehicles. Also, the WVU Hospital is becoming a regional power in services provided and research. Thus giving the President of Clemson the ability to say WVU is now a Tier 2 research center which will help the next time a conference shake up takes place.

Again, Dr Gee realizes what is at stake and he has a plan for staying relevant. Keep in mind WVU is from the smallest state in the nation to field a P5 team so something right has gone on for WVU to do what it has done this long.
Clemson is a land grant university as well. So is Purdue, NC State, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Univeristy of California, University of Florida, Penn State, etc. My guess is wvu has more of an open enrollment because it is in a state with stagnant or declining population and it wants to attract as man students from out of state as possible. In state it will take pretty much anybody. Schools like Clemson, NC State, etc. in growing states can be more selective even with in state students.

I still say interesting how the figure these numbers. Upward mobility. lol?

If you don't like US News and World Report, you can go by Forbes Magazine. Forbes has WVU at #454.

https://www.forbes.com/colleges/west-virginia-university/#305f0dd58b0a

You didn't go to WVU did you? I always encounter this with WVU people. The alumni know what they are. They are proud of their school, which is totally OK, but they know what they are, which is a middling University. Neither great nor awful. WVU fans who never attended WVU think it's academics are like Harvard and it athletics are like Alabama.

I don't care what he posted. The issue here is staying relevant! Spending $50 million on athletic upgrades and improving the research function of the school will be a huge help if a shake up does take place. Also winning.

I don't think wvu will be left out during the next conference shake up. However, the upgrades are being made in order for wvu to stay relevant. They are not moving you up the pecking order.

U Conn, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Ohio St, Penn St are all land grant schools and they are all ranked in the top 65. WVU is 208.
If you don't like US News and World Report, you can go by Forbes Magazine. Forbes has WVU at #454.

https://www.forbes.com/colleges/west-virginia-university/#305f0dd58b0a

You didn't go to WVU did you? I always encounter this with WVU people. The alumni know what they are. They are proud of their school, which is totally OK, but they know what they are, which is a middling University. Neither great nor awful. WVU fans who never attended WVU think it's academics are like Harvard and it athletics are like Alabama.

I just think the methodology is all screwed. WVU is an open enrollment school Plan and simple and everyone knows this will never help WVU improve in these rankings

Last edited:
Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Clemson is a land grant university as well. So is Purdue, NC State, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Univeristy of California, University of Florida, Penn State, etc. My guess is wvu has more of an open enrollment because it is in a state with stagnant or declining population and it wants to attract as man students from out of state as possible. In state it will take pretty much anybody. Schools like Clemson, NC State, etc. in growing states can be more selective even with in state students.
Penn State uses the two year campus system to house there lower ACY/SAT students then off to main campus for the final two years

I don't think wvu will be left out during the next conference shake up. However, the upgrades are being made in order for wvu to stay relevant. They are not moving you up the pecking order.
This discussion is about staying relevant on the athletic side.....to be honest....lol....im not sure WVU has ever been relevant on the academic side on a national scale.

You do realize in the last month the President of Clemson twitted that WVU is now a Tier 2 research University and they would not have an issue in the next round of conference shake-ups.

Its tweeted.

Great...Clemson. One school can't govern the ACC. They have some say, but good luck convincing Duke, UVA, VT, Miami, and Pitt to let wvu in.

Louisville was the academic equivalent of wvu...but Louisville has money. The ACC spent their headscratcher school on one thats actually worth it. Big 10 did the same with Nebraska and no AAU status.
Sorry wvu...you're ****in' out!

Last edited:
Im not sure if this is correct or not but what I can tell you WVU will never be rated high ranked high like this because its a Land Grant school which means its a school for the people and you cant really exclude on admissions. I realize Herd fans are excited by the thought of WVU not getting into and staying in a P5 conference after the possible next round of shake ups but Dr Gee knows what needs to happen to stay at this level. First, the Big 12 income is HUGE right now and WVU is spending more on facility upgrades to stay relevant then then Marshalls entire athletic budget. WVU is building a new swimming center, doing $25 million in additional upgrades to the football stadium(they just spent a huge sum of cash already under Luck) and indoor practice facility, and spending $10 million on buying a golf course and renovating it for its golf program. This does not include the 20 million on a new baseball staduim. Second, as stated WVU cant and wont start increasing its standards to get in because of its Land Grant status and lets be real, WVU needs to increase enrollment and not cut off enrollment lists like the one attached WVU will always do poorly do admission standards, but where it can improve is research. Thanks to jay Rockefeller's donation WVU is becoming a national leader in research for Brain injury and research. Several years ago WVU researchers won national acclaim for its emissions research on Volkswagon and how they were breaking a US law on how they lied with emissions on their vehicles. Also, the WVU Hospital is becoming a regional power in services provided and research. Thus giving the President of Clemson the ability to say WVU is now a Tier 2 research center which will help the next time a conference shake up takes place.

Again, Dr Gee realizes what is at stake and he has a plan for staying relevant. Keep in mind WVU is from the smallest state in the nation to field a P5 team so something right has gone on for WVU to do what it has done this long.

"A school for the people"
This statement alone made me wonder if you have a degree of any kind...not even higher level.

By the way...which people?
The NJ people?
NY people?
NOVA people?
PA people?
Couldn't be for the WV people...wvu serves everyone but its own.

Sooo....

Your fearless leader...school president Gordon Gee, is going to be the one to lead you to the elite?
The same guy kicked out of a school with a fanbase as annoying as yours, for saying many controversial comments about certain ethnicities and religions?
Then he somehow either forgets about the people he offends by pretending to not know they exist? Doesn't abide by rules and, you know, basic professional dignity...that guy?

At this point he'd be better off being forced out before he gives a commencent without pants on and forgets the names of the wvu BoG.

wvu's income is huge...by wvu standards (which are low).
Do you honestly think wvu is anywhere near the top in spending? Hell, some schools are conservative in their spending and would drown wvu out in what they could actually do with their money.

The same goes for the hospital and research.
Congrats you're good at something like Brain injury research.
But lets compare you to UPMC and see how well you do.

Here's the problem with wvu and its fans...WV as a state, has horribly low standards. I often wonder if the education system is purposely dumbed down so people are actually in awe of wvu...until they apply to a school, literally anywhere else outside of WV.
Because of these standards, you think anything wvu does, is more amazing than it actually is.
In WV, wvu does have multiple advantages. Go anywhere outside of WV and suddenly, wvu is shit.

Thats what the others in elite conferences and schools will look at. wvu offers plenty if you're in WV...and offers nothing to anyone else.
No money. No market. No people.
Also, socially, wvu still is looked at as the school who have inbred students who get blind drunk and wear dead animals on their heads.

I will give credit to wvu for blowing the lid off of VW for cheating their emission numbers.
The staff there got some recognition...but are literally scraping money to get by and keep their program afloat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...-wvu-diesel-volkswagen-west-virginia.amp.html

So will wvu get in anywhere in the next round?

I can't tell you your chances, but you have my sympathies :)

Last edited:
This statement alone made me wonder if you have a degree of any kind...not even higher level.

The NJ people?
NY people?
NOVA people?
PA people?
Couldn't be for the WV people...wvu serves everyone but its own.

Sooo....

Your fearless leader...school president Gordon Gee, is going to be the one to lead you to the elite?
The same guy kicked out of a school with a fanbase as annoying as yours, for saying many controversial comments about certain ethnicities and religions?
Then he somehow either forgets about the people he offends by pretending to not know they exist? Doesn't abide by rules and, you know, basic professional dignity...that guy?

At this point he'd be better off being forced out before he gives a commencent without pants on and forgets the names of the wvu BoG.

wvu's income is huge...by wvu standards (which are low).
Do you honestly think wvu is anywhere near the top in spending? Hell, some schools are conservative in their spending and would drown wvu out in what they could actually do with their money.

The same goes for the hospital and research.
Congrats you're good at something like Brain injury research.
But lets compare you to UPMC and see how well you do.

Here's the problem with wvu and its fans...WV as a state, has horribly low standards. I often wonder if the education system is purposely dumbed down so people are actually in awe of wvu...until they apply to a school, literally anywhere else outside of WV.
Because of these standards, you think anything wvu does, is more amazing than it actually is.
In WV, wvu does have multiple advantages. Go anywhere outside of WV and suddenly, wvu is shit.

Thats what the others in elite conferences and schools will look at. wvu offers plenty if you're in WV...and offers nothing to anyone else.
No money. No market. No people.
Also, socially, wvu still is looked at as the school who have inbred students who get blind drunk and wear dead animals on their heads.

I will give credit to wvu for blowing the lid off of VW for cheating their emission numbers.
The staff there got some recognition...but are literally scraping money to get by and keep their program afloat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...-wvu-diesel-volkswagen-west-virginia.amp.html

So will wvu get in anywhere in the next round?

I can't tell you your chances, but you have my sympathies :)

You realize the last two seasons because of OU's success(and only having 10 teams) the Big 12's income has been either the top or near the top of all the P5 conferences....and trust me its not even close with the ACC....WVU got lucky and fell into a league with other Land Grant Universities and income that makes the ACC schools only dream...this all shows in how WVU is spending $50 million on athletic facilities right now. The goal is to be ready when the next shake up comes. I think that the President that got kicked out of Ohio State is going a pretty good job right now of putting the University in the best possible position.

btw, do you live in the state? Almost sounds like you live out state and talking down about WV. Lots pride in for both football programs in this state.

The Big 12 isn't going anywhere as long as Texas and Oklahoma are around, and considering the revenue stream right now, there aren't leaving. All of these people who always want to predict to destruction of the Big 12 with no merit crack me up.

Its tweeted.

Great...Clemson. One school can't govern the ACC. They have some say, but good luck convincing Duke, UVA, VT, Miami, and Pitt to let wvu in.

Louisville was the academic equivalent of wvu...but Louisville has money. The ACC spent their headscratcher school on one thats actually worth it. Big 10 did the same with Nebraska and no AAU status.
Sorry wvu...you're ****in' out!

If the ACC needs to go to 16, the talk is giving ND thw ultimatum of either in or out and bringing in WVU because of Athletic success. There isnt much options out there

If the ACC needs to go to 16, the talk is giving ND thw ultimatum of either in or out and bringing in WVU because of Athletic success. There isnt much options out there

If the Big 12 split, which wouldn't be for at least 8-10 years and who knows what the college football (or ncaa in general) landscape would look like then anyway, then the other 4 Power Conferences would certainly go to 16 each. They would do that now if it was beneficial for them but level of programs, geography, etc. make it so they don't want to do that. If the Big 12 split, there would be ample teams to pick up for those other power conferences wanting to fill the voids and keep up with each other..

The PAC 12 and Big 10 would absolutely wants Oklahoma and Texas, and the Pac 12 would also want Ok State and likely TCU. The SEC would want teams like Baylor and Kansas. The Big 10 would probably end up with Texas in all honestly, and probably Iowa State. ACC would take WVU, hope for Notre Dame's commitment (unless the Big 10 poaches them) . There are currently 64 teams in the P5. If you honestly think that the remaining 4 would go after an alternative to WVU, then those conferences would be trying to sign those alternatives today, which they aren't. It's such an old argument, and holds no water. It's like a SamC argument, just a long diatribe that never has any merit.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
They'd take Cincy over wvu.
Andy-Samberg-Come-on.gif

If the Big 12 split, which wouldn't be for at least 8-10 years and who knows what the college football (or ncaa in general) landscape would look like then anyway, then the other 4 Power Conferences would certainly go to 16 each. They would do that now if it was beneficial for them but level of programs, geography, etc. make it so they don't want to do that. If the Big 12 split, there would be ample teams to pick up for those other power conferences wanting to fill the voids and keep up with each other..

The PAC 12 and Big 10 would absolutely wants Oklahoma and Texas, and the Pac 12 would also want Ok State and likely TCU. The SEC would want teams like Baylor and Kansas. The Big 10 would probably end up with Texas in all honestly, and probably Iowa State. ACC would take WVU, hope for Notre Dame's commitment (unless the Big 10 poaches them) . There are currently 64 teams in the P5. If you honestly think that the remaining 4 would go after an alternative to WVU, then those conferences would be trying to sign those alternatives today, which they aren't. It's such an old argument, and holds no water. It's like a SamC argument, just a long diatribe that never has any merit.

I see this scenario taking place

ACC
BC, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Louisville, ND, VT, UVA,

UNC, DUKE, WAKE, NC STATE, CLEMSON, GT, FSU, MIAMI

SEC
UK, UTK, VANDY, UGA, SOUTH CAROLINA, UF, BAMA, AUBURN

OL MISS, MS STATE, LSU, ARKANSAS, MISSOURI, TAMU, OU, OK STATE

PAC 12
WASH, WASH STATE, OREGON, OSU, CAL, STANFORD, UTAH, COLORADO

TEXAS, TEXAS TECH, TCU, BAYLOR, ARIZONA, ASU, USC, UCLA

BIG 10
RUTGERS, MARYLAND, PENN STATE, OHIO STATE, MICHIGAN, MICHIGAN STATE, INDIANA, PURDUE

ILLINOIS, NORTHWESTERN, WISCONSIN, MINNESOTA, IOWA, IOWA STATE, KANSAS, NEBRASKA

ACC

SEC

PAC 12

BIG 10
RUTGERS, MARYLAND, PENN STATE, OHIO STATE, MICHIGAN, MICHIGAN STATE, INDIANA, PURDUE

ILLINOIS, NORTHWESTERN, WISCONSIN, MINNESOTA, IOWA, IOWA STATE, KANSAS, NEBRASKA
Where does Kansas State go?

ACC

SEC

PAC 12

BIG 10

I am not going to pretend like I know where teams would end up, however I do think the SEC would be drooling over Kansas. They don't want another football powerhouse, rather Kansas would challenge Kentucky for basketball dominance, which would be a huge marketing talking point. It would also give Mizzou a close rival that they don't have now geographically. Outside of Texas to any conference they want to go to, I think Kansas to the SEC would be next in line. I also don't see any way that OU and Ok state are not Pac 12.

That being said, the Big 12 is extremely lucrative right now and trending upward. It's not going anywhere. Every team makes dozens of millions annually at a bare minimum, and contrary to SamC and his hot garbage out of his mouth, it is going to be long term.

I am not going to pretend like I know where teams would end up, however I do think the SEC would be drooling over Kansas. They don't want another football powerhouse, rather Kansas would challenge Kentucky for basketball dominance, which would be a huge marketing talking point. It would also give Mizzou a close rival that they don't have now geographically. Outside of Texas to any conference they want to go to, I think Kansas to the SEC would be next in line. I also don't see any way that OU and Ok state are not Pac 12.

That being said, the Big 12 is extremely lucrative right now and trending upward. It's not going anywhere. Every team makes dozens of millions annually at a bare minimum, and contrary to SamC and his hot garbage out of his mouth, it is going to be long term.

I'd say Kansas to Big 10 and K State to SEC. Kansas is AAU and for the basketball reason you stated, would put Kansas with Michigan State annually, whic could draw as much as Kentucky vs. Kansas.
Also, I think Kansas just fits the Big 10 geographically.

Missouri Borders Arkansas and have a long term rivalry against TAMU. Adding Oklahoma and OK State would shift Missouri to the west and the 2 Alabama schools to the East.

Reactions: pdbailey
K state brings nothing to the SEC

I wouldn’t go as far as saying they’d bring nothing to the SEC, but we can agree they’d not likely get an invite to the conference.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying they’d bring nothing to the SEC, but we can agree they’d not likely get an invite to the conference.

The SEC isn’t inviting OU AND Oklahoma State.

Reactions: Obialo1kanobe

The SEC isn’t inviting OU AND Oklahoma State.

State Law mandates they have to be in the same conference I believe

Missouri Borders Arkansas and have a long term rivalry against TAMU. Adding Oklahoma and OK State would shift Missouri to the west and the 2 Alabama schools to the East.

I assure you the Kansas/Mizzou rivalry is much bigger than anything that will ever be Mizzou/_____ in the current SEC.

The NJ people?
NY people?
NOVA people?
PA people?
Couldn't be for the WV people...wvu serves everyone but its own..............

That is not true. You must not be aware that of WVU's 29,000 plus students, over 13,000 of them are West Virginia residents. More WV residents at WVU than the entire number of students at MU, including Marshall's out of state students...........

I assure you the Kansas/Mizzou rivalry is much bigger than anything that will ever be Mizzou/_____ in the current SEC.

Sure Kansas Basketball is big but outside of Basketball what else athletically do they offer? Remember it is football that is driving realignment

Sure Kansas Basketball is big but outside of Basketball what else athletically do they offer? Remember it is football that is driving realignment

That is true to some extent. But in a P4 scenario these teams all have their markets covered. It doesn't benefit the SEC to have Oklahoma City anymore than it does the entire state of Kansas. At some point basketball is a driving revenue as well as a marketable product for reasons just beyond sports. The SEC does not need Oklahoma football anymore than Oklahoma football needs the SEC. The big boys want to be good in all aspects, Football, Basketball, Academics.. hell even some baseball. Look at SEC baseball, it is actually prosperous. Kansas basketball is a huge product.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT