ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Derek Pitts

Its tweeted.

Great...Clemson. One school can't govern the ACC. They have some say, but good luck convincing Duke, UVA, VT, Miami, and Pitt to let wvu in.

Louisville was the academic equivalent of wvu...but Louisville has money. The ACC spent their headscratcher school on one thats actually worth it. Big 10 did the same with Nebraska and no AAU status.
Sorry wvu...you're ****in' out!

Nebraska was still in the AAU when they were admitted to the B1G.

That is true to some extent. But in a P4 scenario these teams all have their markets covered. It doesn't benefit the SEC to have Oklahoma City anymore than it does the entire state of Kansas. At some point basketball is a driving revenue as well as a marketable product for reasons just beyond sports. The SEC does not need Oklahoma football anymore than Oklahoma football needs the SEC. The big boys want to be good in all aspects, Football, Basketball, Academics.. hell even some baseball. Look at SEC baseball, it is actually prosperous. Kansas basketball is a huge product.

As a university, The B1G fits Kansas a lot better than the SEC.

That is not true. You must not be aware that of WVU's 29,000 plus students, over 13,000 of them are West Virginia residents. More WV residents at WVU than the entire number of students at MU, including Marshall's out of state students...........
West Virginia is subsidizing the education of Pennsylvania, NJ, and Nova with WVU and your post supports that. Less than half of WVU students are from the state.

WVU gets $130,000,000/year from the state and educates 13,000 West Virginians($10,000 each). Marshall gets $45,000,000/year from the state and educates 11,000 West Virginians($4,090 each).

You realize the last two seasons because of OU's success(and only having 10 teams) the Big 12's income has been either the top or near the top of all the P5 conferences....and trust me its not even close with the ACC....WVU got lucky and fell into a league with other Land Grant Universities and income that makes the ACC schools only dream...this all shows in how WVU is spending $50 million on athletic facilities right now. The goal is to be ready when the next shake up comes. I think that the President that got kicked out of Ohio State is going a pretty good job right now of putting the University in the best possible position.

btw, do you live in the state? Almost sounds like you live out state and talking down about WV. Lots pride in for both football programs in this state.

Spending $50 million and finishing middle of the pack in a conference run by two schools is hardly something to brag about.
Funny how you mention income gaps but the ACC is winning national titles and competing in the CFP annually...where the Big 12 literally cannot get in unless OU or UT are good enough to do so. We all remember TCU and Baylor both being left out.
That situation alone shows just how much OU and UT are towing in this conference.

You realize the last two seasons because of OU's success(and only having 10 teams) the Big 12's income has been either the top or near the top of all the P5 conferences....and trust me its not even close with the ACC....WVU got lucky and fell into a league with other Land Grant Universities and income that makes the ACC schools only dream...this all shows in how WVU is spending $50 million on athletic facilities right now. The goal is to be ready when the next shake up comes. I think that the President that got kicked out of Ohio State is going a pretty good job right now of putting the University in the best possible position.

btw, do you live in the state? Almost sounds like you live out state and talking down about WV. Lots pride in for both football programs in this state.

I live in WV and have lived in WV for 15 years.

However, I grew up in a state that actually knows how to function.
Yeah, wvu is preparing itself and would need a solid decade to prepare itself for potential re-alignment...whereas other schools with more to offer from their states, will just write a resume and send it in.
wvu isn't going to be the only one waiting outside the P4 door hoping to get in...and if it takes wvu that long to prepare for it, just shows how little they have to offer (as I have said before).

The best part will be seeing the faces of their fans when they're ultimately rejected.

If the Big 12 split, which wouldn't be for at least 8-10 years and who knows what the college football (or ncaa in general) landscape would look like then anyway, then the other 4 Power Conferences would certainly go to 16 each. They would do that now if it was beneficial for them but level of programs, geography, etc. make it so they don't want to do that. If the Big 12 split, there would be ample teams to pick up for those other power conferences wanting to fill the voids and keep up with each other..

The PAC 12 and Big 10 would absolutely wants Oklahoma and Texas, and the Pac 12 would also want Ok State and likely TCU. The SEC would want teams like Baylor and Kansas. The Big 10 would probably end up with Texas in all honestly, and probably Iowa State. ACC would take WVU, hope for Notre Dame's commitment (unless the Big 10 poaches them) . There are currently 64 teams in the P5. If you honestly think that the remaining 4 would go after an alternative to WVU, then those conferences would be trying to sign those alternatives today, which they aren't. It's such an old argument, and holds no water. It's like a SamC argument, just a long diatribe that never has any merit.

I could see Texas going independent.
They have their own TV network.
They're Texas...teams will play them and they can schedule who they want each season.
Texas can afford to go independent.
Also, while money is huge in the SEC...the Texas A&M experiment isn't going as smoothly as Aggie fans were wanting. They literally shelled out $75 million for 9 wins a season so far.
Most of all...Texas wouldn't have any control or pull in a room with Alabama, Florida, etc. I'm sure thats why Texas is still even in the Big 12, because they and OU are controlling it. Texas isn't one to take orders from another school/conference. I don't think their leadership would have the temperment to do so.

I don't care what he posted. The issue here is staying relevant! Spending $50 million on athletic upgrades and improving the research function of the school will be a huge help if a shake up does take place. Also winning.

Probably the most important part of that post was the last part of it.

Which wvu hasn't been doing a lot of lately.

The Big 12 isn't going anywhere as long as Texas and Oklahoma are around, and considering the revenue stream right now, there aren't leaving. All of these people who always want to predict to destruction of the Big 12 with no merit crack me up.

Except OU "was within hours" of leaving the Big 12 when Nebraska, Missouri, etc left.

Many of the top tier P5 schools are going to realize they don't need some of these programs who contribute nothing.
I believe the Big 12 is going to eventually collapse and lots of schools will be looking for new conferences.

Why don't you tell us where WVU ranks on that list when compared to your conference mates or P5 schools in general?

Fans of schools with inferior football teams always bring up academics because that's all they have to argue with.Who cares. Athletes at all schools are held to lower standards then non athletes.Just look at the cheating scandal at UNC. I've never watched a game and thought about academics at the schools participating.Besides it's not exactly like Marshalls an Ivy league school.

WVU's doing fine in the Big 12 in all sports.

Since they joined the conference WVU football is tied for the most first round draft picks in the conference.How many 1st round draft picks has Marshall had since 2012 ? I'll wait for an answer.

It's been I believe 20 years since Marshall beat a top 25 team.

WVU is 4-3 against that team from Texas who Marshall fans like to say WVU can't compete with.

WVU is 14th in all-time wins.

WVU just spent more on a golf complex then Marshall's entire athletic budget.

WVU fans don't have to try and find their games somewhere on a bad internet feed.

And of course 12-0

I could go on and on but whats the point.Marshall fans hatred of WVU is like Democrats hatred of President Trump.But if it helps you Marshall fans sleep better by pretending you're somehow on WVU's level then have at it.

Last edited:
Spending $50 million and finishing middle of the pack in a conference run by two schools is hardly something to brag about.
Funny how you mention income gaps but the ACC is winning national titles and competing in the CFP annually...where the Big 12 literally cannot get in unless OU or UT are good enough to do so. We all remember TCU and Baylor both being left out.
That situation alone shows just how much OU and UT are towing in this conference.

You mean like Clemson is towing the ACC.

Reactions: rjpeal
Fans of schools with inferior football teams always bring up academics because that's all they have to argue with.Who cares. Athletes at all schools are held to lower standards then non athletes.Just look at the cheating scandal at UNC. I've never watched a game and thought about academics at the schools participating.Besides it's not exactly like Marshalls an Ivy league school.

Since they joined the conference WVU football is tied for the most first round draft picks in the conference.How many 1st round draft picks has Marshall had since 2012 ? I'll wait for an answer.

WVU is 4-3 against that team from Texas who Marshall fans like to say WVU can't compete with.

I could go on and on but whats the point.Marshall fans hatred of WVU is like Democrats hatred of President Trump.But if it helps you Marshall fans sleep better by pretending you're somehow on WVU's level then have at it.

Another eerdiot that missed the point of what was being discussed. And then rambles on about nothing for several paragraphs.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

Don't even go there with this nonsense. This "all-time" record has been broken down many times on here and Thunder in The Mountains, and proven to be far less impressive than your ilk make it out to be.

Who cares. Athletes at all schools are held to lower standards then non athletes.

Then the non-athletes, and then who? Oh, you must have meant to say, "than," since it was a comparison.

Pretty sure that stat is incorrect. If memory serves me, I believe we beat Louisville in 2011 when they were ranked.

WVU just spent more on a golf complex then Marshall's entire athletic budget.

WVU fans don't have to try and find their games somewhere on a bad internet feed.

And of course 12-0

lol your stats would get you laughed out of a room of Big 12 teams.
Which is why you idiots wouldn't try saying such stats towards them.

LOL draft picks?
wvu is also on pace to having the most players bust im the NFL based on their initial drafting.

But wvu is also undefeated against teams starting with the letter "J" in August games since 2006.
wvu is also one of 12 teams to feature a Nike Swoosh on its jersey over 4 inches big.
wvu is also one of 10 Big 10 teams to get money from its TV contract.

This separates the wvu fans and the ones who actually attended.
Must hurt your ego and your soul to have to so rigorously defend an entity you really have no connection to.
But in your mind, compensating for lack of wvu degree is putting everyone else down...however you have to dig at such useless drivel in stats like NFL draft picks, to do so.
Such things are the embodiment of wvu fans and WV as a whole, and wvu fans wonder why they're constantly the topic of jokes.

I could see Texas going independent.
They have their own TV network.
They're Texas...teams will play them and they can schedule who they want each season.
Texas can afford to go independent.
Also, while money is huge in the SEC...the Texas A&M experiment isn't going as smoothly as Aggie fans were wanting. They literally shelled out $75 million for 9 wins a season so far.
Most of all...Texas wouldn't have any control or pull in a room with Alabama, Florida, etc. I'm sure thats why Texas is still even in the Big 12, because they and OU are controlling it. Texas isn't one to take orders from another school/conference. I don't think their leadership would have the temperment to do so.

They aren't going to go independent. If they wanted to do that they would do it now. The networks are not going to be what they once thought they would be. Texas also won't be in the SEC.

Except OU "was within hours" of leaving the Big 12 when Nebraska, Missouri, etc left.

Many of the top tier P5 schools are going to realize they don't need some of these programs who contribute nothing.
I believe the Big 12 is going to eventually collapse and lots of schools will be looking for new conferences.

Well that's nice you think they will collapse.... anything that makes dozens of millions and is trending upwards really isn't on the verge of collapse. And there were lots teams that were within seconds of doing lots of things when the conferences were on the move. At this point if any conference is a dying breed it's the Pac12. Its the worst P5 in both football and basketball this year, and always is in basketball. The teams don't draw the revenue they once they and they are definitely trending downward. The west coast is not about college sports outside of Eugene.

Well that's nice you think they will collapse.... anything that makes dozens of millions and is trending upwards really isn't on the verge of collapse. And there were lots teams that were within seconds of doing lots of things when the conferences were on the move. At this point if any conference is a dying breed it's the Pac12. Its the worst P5 in both football and basketball this year, and always is in basketball. The teams don't draw the revenue they once they and they are definitely trending downward. The west coast is not about college sports outside of Eugene.

California's appeal, kills its college sports no doubt, I'll agree with you on that one.

Before then, it is was Florida State.
Notre Dame isn't technically part of the ACC but sort of are, so I'm counting them as well.

They are a member of the ACC. This is as close as ND has been to being all in an athletic conference, which means football.
They are committed to playing half of their schedule vs fellow conference teams and they will be a 100% member sooner than later.

Clemson is a land grant university as well. So is Purdue, NC State, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Univeristy of California, University of Florida, Penn State, etc. My guess is wvu has more of an open enrollment because it is in a state with stagnant or declining population and it wants to attract as man students from out of state as possible. In state it will take pretty much anybody. Schools like Clemson, NC State, etc. in growing states can be more selective even with in state students.

This dumbass actually argued a land grant school can't be ranked high. Can you believe that? I immediately had this thought: "Cal Berkeley, Purdue, Ohio State....Jesus Christ, this guy is an idiot."

You don't support Marshall anymore because for a while, MU lost games and wvu began to win.
You think you're elite because you're on the same field as Texas and OU.
You're not any more elite than Iowa State or Kansas. Sure, you'll win more at times than they will, but you're merely a disposable pawn in a game between two major programs in a conference one bad day from disassembling.
When the Big 12 inevitably breaks up, wvu isn't getting into the SEC because of academics. ACC is academics and the base of their conference despise your fans' treatment of theirs during the Big East days.
Before you spout "well...the ACC took Louisville!" and "Rutgers and Maryland went to the Big 10 and their football is horrible!"
True. But both have elements wvu doesn't.
Markets and other things to offer. I don't doubt Louisville hooked the ACC commish and other ACC bodies some box seats at the Kentucky Derby...or that Rutgers has their huge market and AAU accreditation...as does Maryland.
They also have money...something wvu didn't have much of until they joined a conference essentially bleeding money away at this point.
Forget the Big 10...the AAU wouldn't touch wvu with a 10 foot stick.

Oh and you're tied for 205th on that list.

As for the 'flagship' self-appointed title, it was said WV is such an ass backwards state that bragging about such things isn't the best thing to do.
They're right.
I'd also add, WV's state leadership and many of the idiocy that has contributed to WV sucking...was from wvu alumni.

So not only are you unable to run the state properly (WVians love their state so much they just can't seem to stay), but you brag about being the leaders of it all.
You're the prettiest looking pile of trash in the landfill.
Congrats.

You are criticizing where WVU is at when the athletic department is making close to $50 million from media rights? Who cares if OU and Texas are the two headliners of the conference? Clemson and FSU are the only elite programs in the ACC. How many elite programs are in the PAC 12?

While WVU isn’t ranked really high in that academic ranking, they are a national university with the designation of being an R1 research institution. I’m proud to be an alumnus.

What evidence do you have that leads you to believe the Big 12 is going to collapse? Is your opinion backed by facts or just more hyperbole?

I hope in the future you can learn to support your quality university without having the need to disparage any other university.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT