ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Herd That

I thought he was great and everyone i was sitting around kept talking about about how it added to the atmosphere. Guess people just needed to find something to complain about. Go HERD

I think it's a different idea that has potential if the timing and coordination of when its time for music to be played can be worked out . Beats the screeching scoreboard ads and canned music from the press box years past.

Frankly, at this point. Maybe we should just sit, hold hands and sing kumbafvckingya......

I thought the DJ was great. Kids around us especially liked it. Fireworks, they were nice in the daylight. Only saw smoke when it got dark lol

Flyover was very cool. Young man from Huntington was flying it as well
Any and all attempts to bring a little energy into the place should be appreciated and encouraged. The Joan has been a mausoleum for the last few years. I think some fans would rather spend time visiting the bathrooms and bitching about the urinals than actually participating in an game environment where visiting opponents dread to play.

DJ's work because 16-22 year olds think that is a big deal... It's not for me, or other middle-aged guys like us on message boards... You go to an NBA arena nowadays and the most famous guy in the building (aside from the players) is the DJ.

You go to an NBA arena nowadays and the most famous guy in the building (aside from the players) is the DJ.
16 and 22 year olds aren't buying up the NBA tickets though. I'm a middle aged guy that thinks music can add to the environment, because it actually does to arenas and sporting events all over the country.

Probably not in Htgn WV though. Wasn't worth the effort.

16 and 22 year olds aren't buying up the NBA tickets though. I'm a middle aged guy that thinks music can add to the environment, because it actually does to arenas and sporting events all over the country.

Probably not in Htgn WV though. Wasn't worth the effort.
I don't think a DJ is a bad idea, if the DJ is good, and like you said adds to the atmoshpere... Obviously, NBA teams are getting the cream of the crop to do their games and we probably aren't in that quality market.

Our DJ just needs a few weeks to find the right mix of Kid Rock, Bubba Sparx and Colt Ford to get our crowd jammin'.

Last edited:
You know, I about jumped on the pile, and I’m not blameless I definitely did do that on OF, but I think we could all be a little more constructive here.

1. Because there’s a very good chance the dude is reading this. And
2. We need to remember this is just as new to him as it is to us. This was game 1. He’s “blazing the trail” so to speak, there have been no previous Edwards stadium DJs to learn from. So maybe he’s still trying to figure out what works and what people are looking for.

So my constructive criticism:
-Pick a crowd and cater to them with music choices that get them going. (The best one can do in a family friendly environment anyway). That should probably be the students and players. I was really interested to see how this would work out, I was watching the students. If it was a song they were interested in, you could see the energy. If it was Tootse Roll or YMCA, you could not

-I say this knowing that I could not do this myself. But you need to be more than just a “Play Button”. We could have Jason Toy hit play on DJ Khalid and bounce his head for a minute. The DJ needs to interact more with the students/crowd, and the music should be more dynamic. (Again, I don’t know how that is accomplished but I know the vibe I get)

-There is no earthly way that you will be able to pick music that pleases everybody. (Aside from Thunderstruck). So get the students and players hyped, and even if some people don’t like the music, that positive energy will still feed itself around the stadium. Enthusiasm is contagious.

-Darude-Sandstorm

That is all

Love it... Bust out some Sandstorm and just play Jock Jams 4 from the beginning. Mission accomplished.
Hell, put on the stadium rock channel from Pandora, that's all you need. I listen to it all the time. I didn't even see the students getting into the rap shit. Pretty dull.

You know, I about jumped on the pile, and I’m not blameless I definitely did do that on OF, but I think we could all be a little more constructive here.

2. We need to remember this is just as new to him as it is to us. This was game 1. He’s “blazing the trail” so to speak, there have been no previous Edwards stadium DJs to learn from. So maybe he’s still trying to figure out what works and what people are looking for.

-Pick a crowd and cater to them with music choices that get them going. (The best one can do in a family friendly environment anyway). That should probably be the students and players. I was really interested to see how this would work out, I was watching the students. If it was a song they were interested in, you could see the energy. If it was Tootse Roll or YMCA, you could not

-I say this knowing that I could not do this myself. But you need to be more than just a “Play Button”. We could have Jason Toy hit play on DJ Khalid and bounce his head for a minute. The DJ needs to interact more with the students/crowd, and the music should be more dynamic. (Again, I don’t know how that is accomplished but I know the vibe I get)

-There is no earthly way that you will be able to pick music that pleases everybody. (Aside from Thunderstruck). So get the students and players hyped, and even if some people don’t like the music, that positive energy will still feed itself around the stadium. Enthusiasm is contagious.

-Darude-Sandstorm

That is all

Cater to the students first...they're right there, will be loud and react if they like the song, and will be shown more on TV.
My complaint was the DJ played nothing the students would really get excited and energetic over. Most of the artists are also far older than they are.
The only one they'd have really heard was The Weeknd...and that was 1 song.
I get playing some music for everyone, but the majority of your focus should be your student section because thats who potential future students are going to want to see.

The band, DJ, scoreboard booth, and cheerleaders need to get better coordinated. They failed multiple times first half to get a "We Are...Marshall" chant up because the band kept playing during the time when the crowd would pick up on it.
The DJ needs to play artists better catered to the students, and yes, play the usual stuff here and there.
The booth can actually just advertise and no longer need to play music.

It was pretty rough, but I think he'll eventually catch on.

Welcome, MU and Htgn, to around 2009. The DJ stuff has succeeded or failed at a bunch of schools.

Most of the rap was older than they are.
Its not good music, not one gets into it. I didn't see anything out of anyone in the stands except for a few songs - which weren't rap. The imagination of our DJ and the dude running the music board in the press box is pitiful. Listen to what they play at NFL, NHL and other venues, it's sure as hell not what we hear in the Joan.

-Darude-Sandstorm

That is all
You posted “Enthusiasm is contagious.” Where did you see any when DJ Herd Nothing played

The C130 flyover was also dangerous. Was that really necessary?
C-130's do "flyovers" of Appalachian Power Park here in Charleston all throughout Power games, and usually at altitudes much lower than the one that happened at Marshall. This is due to their runway being just over the hill and it taking some time to get a bird that sized to altitude.

I personally liked it, and I hope they do it again sometime for reasons other than the commemoration of a national tragedy.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I think some fans would rather spend time visiting the bathrooms and bitching about the urinals than actually participating in an game environment where visiting opponents dread to play.
Sec 113 Row 36 Seat 105ish. Come have a listen sometime, I got a voice like a goddamn airhorn and all the self-awareness of a male cheerleader.

C-130's do "flyovers" of Appalachian Power Park here in Charleston all throughout Power games, and usually at altitudes much lower than the one that happened at Marshall. This is due to their runway being just over the hill and it taking some time to get a bird that sized to altitude.

I personally liked it, and I hope they do it again sometime for reasons other than the commemoration of a national tragedy.
I was being sarcastic in my critique. Being overly critical of positive changes and potentially new traditions has become as predictable as a Doc Holiday offensive scheme with some in this fan base.

Would be cool to get a Stealth.

Would be cool to get a Stealth.
I'd rather go rickety bi-plane, swooping down into the bowl, with a guy dressed up like Dom Deluise in Cannonball Run leaping out of the plane at midfield chute-less with the game ball in hand, tumbling into the coin toss.

Jeff O'Malley if you're reading this get at me in my DMs brother.

Reactions: RhinoD
How about at least 5 minutes during halftime of good ole Guy Lombardo music to allow our elderly fan segment to catch a few ZZZZZs and thus be refreshed for the second half? Can always arrange to have the flyover pilot buzz the stadium near the end of the half, letting loose with a nice "Sonic Boom" to arouse and FIRE UP our dozing fans for the Second Half!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT