ADVERTISEMENT

Do my dirty work

greengeezer

Platinum Buffalo
Dec 25, 2007
With all the bitching about the state of our football program, I am curios as to just how Marshall stacks up. There are ten conferences and 130 teams that play Division I football. Given a ten year time frame, how many conference championships has each team won? For example, Marshall has won only one.

I plan on going out for a nice dinner because I don't want to sit here and look up all the statistics. Some of you guys (and girls?) love looking up those details so see what you can find. I would bet there are a number of teams that have never won a championship over the ten year time period.

With all the bitching about the state of our football program, I am curios as to just how Marshall stacks up. There are ten conferences and 130 teams that play Division I football. Given a ten year time frame, how many conference championships has each team won? For example, Marshall has won only one.

I plan on going out for a nice dinner because I don't want to sit here and look up all the statistics. Some of you guys (and girls?) love looking up those details so see what you can find. I would bet there are a number of teams that have never won a championship over the ten year time period.

Great question. It’s great because it’s the first person that’s asked for some perspective on the manner.

Just look at C-USA.

There has been a C-USA title game since 2005. Here are the appearances by CURRENT members since that time -

Southern Miss 3 (1 win)
WKU 2 (2 wins)
Marshall 2 (1 win)
La Tech 2
FAU 2 (1 win)
UAB 2 (1 win)
Rice 1 (1 win)
MTSU 1
UNT 1

Schools with 0 appearances: UTSA, UTEP, ODU, FIU, Charlotte

Schools that left:
Tulsa 4 (2 wins)
UCF 4 (2 wins)
Houston 3 (1 win)
ECU 2 (2 wins)
SMU 1

Just in C-USA alone, Marshall stacks up well.

Marshall competes for a spot in the C-USA East almost every year.

Great question. It’s great because it’s the first person that’s asked for some perspective on the manner.

Just look at C-USA.

There has been a C-USA title game since 2005. Here are the appearances by CURRENT members since that time -

Southern Miss 3 (1 win)
WKU 2 (2 wins)
Marshall 2 (1 win)
La Tech 2
FAU 2 (1 win)
UAB 2 (1 win)
Rice 1 (1 win)
MTSU 1
UNT 1

Schools that left:
Tulsa 4 (2 wins)
UCF 4 (2 wins)
Houston 3 (1 win)
ECU 2 (2 wins)
SMU 1

Yet hasn’t won the division in five years.

Maybe the next time we shoot fireworks off of the Shewey Building, the banner can drop that says “WE COMPETE FOR THE DIVISION” instead of championships or even the coveted bowl games.

I think I see where you are trying to go with this, but your logic is flawed... Some teams, especially in P5 conferences, haven't been competitive at any point and are in no danger of being competitive in football. Expectations are relative to your conference environment (ask Kansas, Wake Forest, Vandy, etc).

Also, the conferences look drastically different than in 2009. For example the AAC didn't even exist and other leagues had a ton of co-champs due to no title game.

Because I do love research though, and Google makes it take about 2 minutes, I will give you a handy list of the conference champs since 2009.

Big 10 – Ohio State (5), Penn State, Michigan State (2), Wisconsin (2)
Bi12 – Oklahoma (3 and a tie), Nebraska (2), Baylor, TCU, Kansas State (tie), Oklahoma State
SEC – Alabama (6), Auburn (2), LSU, Georgia
PAC12 – Oregon (4), Stanford (3), Washington (2), USC
ACC – Clemson (5), Florida State (3), Virginia Tech (2)
AAC – UCF (3 and tie), Temple, Houston, Memphis (tie), Cincinnati (tie)
Sun Belt – Arkansas State (3 and 2 ties), App State (2 ties), Troy (1 and 2 ties), Georgia Southern, FIU (tie), Louisiana (tie)
CUSA – WKU (2), Marshall, UAB, Southern Miss, Florida Atlantic, Rice, Tulsa, UCF, East Carolina
MAC – Northern Illinois (4), Bowling Green (2), Miami Oh, Western Michigan, Toledo, Central Michigan
Mountain West – TCU (3), Boise State (2 and a tie), Fresno State (2 and a tie), San Diego State (2 and a tie)

Reactions: rdhstlr23
Yet hasn’t won the division in five years.

Maybe the next time we shoot fireworks off of the Shewey Building, the banner can drop that says “WE COMPETE FOR THE DIVISION” instead of championships or even the coveted bowl games.

If your expectation is to play in the C-USA title game once every 5 years, then by all means, want to fire the coach.

That’s fair and valid.

However, it shows that every team has runs and that getting to the title game isn’t as frequent as you would suggest.

I think Marshall has under-performed many years. I think they’ve also over-performed many years. I would have expected more than 2 appearances in the C-USA title game too.

However, a little perspective never hurts.

Reactions: ohio herd

Just look at C-USA.

Southern Miss 3 (1 win)
WKU 2 (2 wins)
Marshall 2 (1 win)
La Tech 2
FAU 2 (1 win)
UAB 2 (1 win)
Rice 1 (1 win)
MTSU 1
UNT 1

Schools that left:
Tulsa 4 (2 wins)
UCF 4 (2 wins)
Houston 3 (1 win)
ECU 2 (2 wins)
SMU 1

How many of the teams on your list have made/had coaching changes(some several) since the 2005 season? Just go with the schools that have made a title game appearance.

If you aren't complete garbage... And we certainly aren't garbage, just average... You should compete within your division almost every year. Especially when your division has 2-3 teams that actually are garbage almost every year.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Good thread...………….one thing that jumps out to me: Solich at Ohio U. No conference championships (even 0 appearances) since he's been there. And he has prob been there since 2010? And yet one could reasonably assume that Bobcat fans are pleased enough that he is still there...

Good thread...………….one thing that jumps out to me: Solich at Ohio U. No conference championships (even 0 appearances) since he's been there. And he has prob been there since 2010? And yet one could reasonably assume that Bobcat fans are pleased enough that he is still there...
Solich coached Bobcats have played in the MAC CCG 4 times...

Actually Solich came there in 2005. A little back ground on Solich when he was at a little school known as Nebraska. He was unable to live up to the lofty expectations following Osborne retiring.
This is a little info from his time at Nebraska.

Solich directed the Huskers to six consecutive bowl games, including his 2001 squad, which started 11–0 but was beaten by Colorado 62–36 in the last regular season game. Despite that loss and failing to qualify for the Big 12 championship game, the Huskers still made it into the national championship game (ahead of #3 Colorado and #2 Oregon) in the Rose Bowl against Miami. Nebraska was beaten 37–14. Solich did win at least nine games in five of those six seasons, and finished among the top 10 teams in the nation three times. Solich compiled a 58–19 record (.753) at Nebraska.

Solich's 1999 Huskers defeated the Texas Longhorns for the Big 12 championship. Solich was named the Big 12 Coach of the Year in 1999 and 2001, and was one of seven finalists for the Paul "Bear" Bryant Award in 2001.

For the first five years as head coach, Solich served as his own offensive coordinator, as Osborne had for most of his tenure. His offenses centered on the option. He also utilized such plays as the Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass which became a highlight of Eric Crouch's Heisman Trophy-winning season in 2001.

The Huskers slumped to 7–7 in 2002. He gave up offensive play-calling duties to newly hired offensive coordinator Barney Cotton and brought in Bo Pelini, the linebackers coach for the Green Bay Packers, as defensive coordinator. 2003 began with Nebraska starting out 5–0, but suffered three key losses later in the year: 41–24 to Missouri, 31–7 to Texas and 38–9 to Kansas State. After winning the final game of the regular season, Solich was fired by new athletic director Steve Pederson.

Solich's 58 wins during his first six seasons as Nebraska's head coach exceeded those of his predecessors, Bob Devaney (53 wins) and Osborne (55 wins), both of whom are in the College Football Hall of Fame.[2] But Solich won only one Big 12 North title and conference championship in six seasons and had a 1–9 record on the road against ranked teams (0–9 in conference play), and the team had a drop-off in offensive production.

Of course after all of that I do want to make sure we are talking about the same conference that we won 5 out 6 straight championships while a member before moving to CUSA? Just making sure it's the same one they have never won and are still happy and expectations are being met.

Reactions: johns1124

Just look at C-USA.

Southern Miss 3 (1 win)
WKU 2 (2 wins)
Marshall 2 (1 win)
La Tech 2
FAU 2 (1 win)
UAB 2 (1 win)
Rice 1 (1 win)
MTSU 1
UNT 1

Schools that left:
Tulsa 4 (2 wins)
UCF 4 (2 wins)
Houston 3 (1 win)
ECU 2 (2 wins)
SMU 1

Every school that puts a team on the field "competes" for a championship, but do they really compete?

Imagine that phrase on a billboard.

What is with you all and phrases?

You all can’t seem to get off a phrase that was created a decade ago.

It’s not a phrase. However, it perspective. I’m down years, we still compete for a spot to make it.

Considering, the teams that make that game turn over year over year, it’s not bad.

Do I think we should have made it more? Absolutely. Did we underachieve this year and other years? Yes.

But if your expectation is to be Clemson or Alabama and own the conference year over year then you’re not reasonable and should lower them.

I can make a better phrase for a shirt if you’d like...

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
How many of the teams on your list have made/had coaching changes(some several) since the 2005 season? Just go with the schools that have made a title game appearance.

Are you suggesting that coaching turnover is a good thing or bad thing?

By the way, when it comes to DH, I don’t know where I stand yet.

It’s weird. I think Marshal should be in the title game, but not by some BS considerations most on here use. For example, we beat FAU, WKU, and La Tech, then lost to Charlotte and MTSU.

But I digress...

Im not sure. He’s underachieved a few years and I believe Marshall should have been in the title game more than it has. However, there is value in consistency. When you give yourself enough shots, you’re bound to make it happen. Plus...Yes. I’m 100000% worried that we could botch the hire and go backwards.

I’m not plugged in like most. I’m simply a fan of the football team. But unless a better hire presents itself, I’m likely to stand pat with Doc, so long as the team doesn’t take consistent steps backwards...i.e. consecutive losing years/barely bowl eligible.

Actually Solich came there in 2005. A little back ground on Solich when he was at a little school known as Nebraska.

Anytime I see a school be really good for a while, then suddenly drop off and never recover, I just assume that what made them good was something happening behind the scenes that maybe wasn't on the up-and-up. I always see Nebraska in that light, because when they were winning, they were doing it with guys like Lawrence Phillips, smashing girls faces into mailboxes.

I could also make a correlation on this point to a certain program we all love, but that would be unseemly.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallManiac
What is with you all and phrases?

I was just saying you can't sell tickets to that.

The thing that is hurting Marshall athletics most these days is a lack of context. Our "rivalry" with WVU is over, and it went about as badly for Marshall as it possibly could have, so that's out. All of the geographic rivals we had in the MAC we only on the OOC schedule now, with such irregularity (1-2 games every 6-8 years) that those rivalries are hard to explain to anyone under the age of 30. We moved up to C-USA and then subsequently went down with the ship, so now we're stuck in what is ostensibly an FCS conference, only without the season-ending tournament to give us something to play for.

G5 schools that still have fans have a mighty task ahead of them in the coming years. Player compensation is going to keep more of the top talent in P5, diluting the G5 schools even more. You're going to have to figure out some way to get people to still care about the games, and I gotta be honest - I have no idea how you do that.

I don't have unreasonable expectations - I'm willing to admit this might be as good as it gets for a school like Marshall. The question we'll all have to ask ourselves is if that's good enough to keep us engaged. I'm not sure about myself, and I'll admit that.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Anytime I see a school be really good for a while, then suddenly drop off and never recover, I just assume that what made them good was something happening behind the scenes that maybe wasn't on the up-and-up. I always see Nebraska in that light, because when they were winning, they were doing it with guys like Lawrence Phillips, smashing girls faces into mailboxes.

I could also make a correlation on this point to a certain program we all love, but that would be unseemly.
So Nebraska was successful for many decades and the best you got is to assume they were cheating was a player at the very end of their run that beat up his girlfriend? I'm in no way a fan of Nebraska and have never been and that douche bag running back deserved the fate he got for beating up his girlfriend but that is such a today's day and time take on running down all the years of great athletes and most likely as far as we know running a clean program over one stupid kid. The end came for Nebraska because they played an old style of football that as Osborne's time came to an end so was the success of that style. I get that you say you assume but that is very much the problem with our digital society today. Everyone just makes assumptions based on a single act by a single person and they are ready to condemn whole organizations. Not saying that is what you are in any way doing but you hopefully understand what I'm saying.

I was just saying you can't sell tickets to that.

The thing that is hurting Marshall athletics most these days is a lack of context. Our "rivalry" with WVU is over, and it went about as badly for Marshall as it possibly could have, so that's out. All of the geographic rivals we had in the MAC we only on the OOC schedule now, with such irregularity (1-2 games every 6-8 years) that those rivalries are hard to explain to anyone under the age of 30. We moved up to C-USA and then subsequently went down with the ship, so now we're stuck in what is ostensibly an FCS conference, only without the season-ending tournament to give us something to play for.

G5 schools that still have fans have a mighty task ahead of them in the coming years. Player compensation is going to keep more of the top talent in P5, diluting the G5 schools even more. You're going to have to figure out some way to get people to still care about the games, and I gotta be honest - I have no idea how you do that.

I don't have unreasonable expectations - I'm willing to admit this might be as good as it gets for a school like Marshall. The question we'll all have to ask ourselves is if that's good enough to keep us engaged. I'm not sure about myself, and I'll admit that.

Fair enough.

Personally, I think if you live in Huntington, or the surrounding areas, then you should make all attempts to go to games.

The community, economy, etc. are all tied to the University. So, if they’re playing nothing but NAIA schools and losing every year, fans should still go and support.

Outside of that, if you’re an alumni, why would not be interested? I get other things in life come up that would make your engagement wane.

But, if you’re telling me that your kids/family, job, or other things are of more interest when they’re losing...what will winning solve? You’ll still have kids/family, jobs, etc.

If you’re telling me it comes down to doing yard work or going to the game, I guess that’s fair.

The question is do you support the university and the kids playing for the school or is it about wins/losses/prestige?

If it’s the latter, that’s totally cool. I don’t mind that answer. And I would say, you’re 100% right in the concern of how you keep those engaged.

I would argue, would playing Miami-OH and ECU have brought engagement up at all this year? Or playing them every year? I don’t think so.

Rivalries aren’t bringing people to the stadium. Winning does. And for Marshall, it’s more than that, it’s liking and supporting coaches/administrators.

Marshall fans are a special brand. They really are. Expectations and realism are very far apart.

So Nebraska was successful for many decades and the best you got is to assume they were cheating was a player at the very end of their run that beat up his girlfriend? I'm in no way a fan of Nebraska and have never been and that douche bag running back deserved the fate he got for beating up his girlfriend but that is such a today's day and time take on running down all the years of great athletes and most likely as far as we know running a clean program over one stupid kid. The end came for Nebraska because they played an old style of football that as Osborne's time came to an end so was the success of that style. I get that you say you assume but that is very much the problem with our digital society today. Everyone just makes assumptions based on a single act by a single person and they are ready to condemn whole organizations. Not saying that is what you are in any way doing but you hopefully understand what I'm saying.

Are you over the age of 50? Because holy crap if
this isn’t the epitome of something a old person would say.

Also, if you are over the age of 50, just want to thank you for all the ****** mistakes you’ve made that our digital generation is now paying for.

Re Lawrence Phillips - He was a POS, but his story is a terrible one between his upbringing the foster homes, the treatment of him, etc. Kid never had a chance considering how enabled he was by coaches for football. Probably a bad person with bad circumstances, which led to his eventual demise.

I'm not even close to 50. I'm also confused by your response. You said he is a POS I'm guessing for beating up his girlfriend which is kinda what I said but then you use his backstory to explain why he did it I guess and to try and show sympathy for him being a POS.

Are you over the age of 50? Because holy crap if
this isn’t the epitome of something a old person would say.

Also, if you are over the age of 50, just want to thank you for all the ****** mistakes you’ve made that our digital generation is now paying for.

Re Lawrence Phillips - He was a POS, but his story is a terrible one between his upbringing the foster homes, the treatment of him, etc. Kid never had a chance considering how enabled he was by coaches for football. Probably a bad person with bad circumstances, which led to his eventual demise.
I also love how you showed all that sympathy for the two people in that story and yet disrespected generations of people by bashing people over 50.

This thread delivers!!
Great responses goherd44. extra - I see your point, but ask yourself this ? Is it possible to keep expectations and reality close together? Hell, Bama fans are going crazy cuz ole Nick isn’t gonna make the CFP! We did for a time, at our level. We kicked ass and scared the crap out of the big boys. Things have changed so much since then. Money, separation (P5/G5) us hanging on to the past and forecasting it into the future. I’ll stop...

Imagine that phrase on a billboard.
tumblr_n5mtulhVDw1qfwa93o1_400.gif.cf.gif

Reactions: herdalicious
Is it possible to keep expectations and reality close together?

It's possible to do it better than we are now, certainly. Here's the teams in our division and percentage of time they appear in championship game. We have been in the conference more than twice as long as every other team in our division, yet 1 of the "new" teams has twice as many conference championships and another matches our number of appearance and matches our conference championship. It is obvious to me we are underachieving.

WKU 2 (2 wins) 6 33%
Marshall 2 (1 win) 15 13%
FAU 2 (1 win) 6 33%
MTSU 1 6 16%

ODU 6
FIU 6
Charlotte 6
----------------------------------------

In the last 5 years, here's where we stand in intra conference winning percentage and as you can see MTSU has done better and WKU ties us, while both are recent Sunbelt members ....

1 UAB 17-7 .708*%
2 Louisiana Tech 28-12 .700%
3 Middle Tennessee 27-13 .675%
T4 Marshall 25-15 .625%
T4 Western Kentucky 25-15 .625%

Actually Solich came there in 2005. A little back ground on Solich when he was at a little school known as Nebraska. He was unable to live up to the lofty expectations following Osborne retiring.
This is a little info from his time at Nebraska.

Solich directed the Huskers to six consecutive bowl games, including his 2001 squad, which started 11–0 but was beaten by Colorado 62–36 in the last regular season game. Despite that loss and failing to qualify for the Big 12 championship game, the Huskers still made it into the national championship game (ahead of #3 Colorado and #2 Oregon) in the Rose Bowl against Miami. Nebraska was beaten 37–14. Solich did win at least nine games in five of those six seasons, and finished among the top 10 teams in the nation three times. Solich compiled a 58–19 record (.753) at Nebraska.

Solich's 1999 Huskers defeated the Texas Longhorns for the Big 12 championship. Solich was named the Big 12 Coach of the Year in 1999 and 2001, and was one of seven finalists for the Paul "Bear" Bryant Award in 2001.

For the first five years as head coach, Solich served as his own offensive coordinator, as Osborne had for most of his tenure. His offenses centered on the option. He also utilized such plays as the Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass which became a highlight of Eric Crouch's Heisman Trophy-winning season in 2001.

The Huskers slumped to 7–7 in 2002. He gave up offensive play-calling duties to newly hired offensive coordinator Barney Cotton and brought in Bo Pelini, the linebackers coach for the Green Bay Packers, as defensive coordinator. 2003 began with Nebraska starting out 5–0, but suffered three key losses later in the year: 41–24 to Missouri, 31–7 to Texas and 38–9 to Kansas State. After winning the final game of the regular season, Solich was fired by new athletic director Steve Pederson.

Solich's 58 wins during his first six seasons as Nebraska's head coach exceeded those of his predecessors, Bob Devaney (53 wins) and Osborne (55 wins), both of whom are in the College Football Hall of Fame.[2] But Solich won only one Big 12 North title and conference championship in six seasons and had a 1–9 record on the road against ranked teams (0–9 in conference play), and the team had a drop-off in offensive production.

Of course after all of that I do want to make sure we are talking about the same conference that we won 5 out 6 straight championships while a member before moving to CUSA? Just making sure it's the same one they have never won and are still happy and expectations are being met.

A great synopsis of a delusional, spoiled, childish, fan base running off a winning coach (9-4, 12-1, 10-2, 11-2, 7-7, 9-3). Followed by four years of winning, but not “enough” for the delusionals by Bill Callahan; followed by seven years of winning but not “enough” for the delusionals by Bo Pelini; followed by a failed tenure for Mike Riley; and now we are into the second failed year of Scott Frost.

A once nationally prominent program. DESTROYED by delusional spoiled childish fans who run off good coaches under the idiocy that “9-3 is not acceptable” and that winning is “underachieving”. Delusional fans destroy programs.

A great synopsis of a delusional, spoiled, childish, fan base running off a winning coach (9-4, 12-1, 10-2, 11-2, 7-7, 9-3). Followed by four years of winning, but not “enough” for the delusionals by Bill Callahan; followed by seven years of winning but not “enough” for the delusionals by Bo Pelini; followed by a failed tenure for Mike Riley; and now we are into the second failed year of Scott Frost.

A once nationally prominent program. DESTROYED by delusional spoiled childish fans who run off good coaches under the idiocy that “9-3 is not acceptable” and that winning is “underachieving”. Delusional fans destroy programs.

Hey Cherry Picker, you seem to have left off some other regular season records (I don't blame you):

5-7
6-6
5-7
*3-9
*7-5
*7-4

*in the watered-down version of C-USA

Face the facts Samantha, Doc will get fired, one way or another, and you will have to cry your eyes out seeing him go.

Oh, you called me a girl. That showed me. What a comeback.

In 3rd grade.

Grow up.

And Doc will be here until he retires, the childish spoiled delusional “9-3 is not acceptable” rants of the program destroyers not withstanding.

In 3rd grade.

Grow up.

And Doc will be here until he retires, the childish spoiled delusional “9-3 is not acceptable” rants of the program destroyers not withstanding.

I also called you Cherry Picker

Don't worry, we will let you put together a nice basket full of peach salsa for John when he departs. He can carry it out with the rest of his belongings when he cleans out his office in Shewey.

Peach salsa would probably be your first donation to the athletic program ever.

Sorry, here til he retires.

A great synopsis of a delusional, spoiled, childish, fan base running off a winning coach (9-4, 12-1, 10-2, 11-2, 7-7, 9-3). Followed by four years of winning, but not “enough” for the delusionals, by Bill Callahan; .

Bill Callahan did not have four years of winning at Nebraska. He coached four seasons and two were losing seasons. He also lost 6 of his last 7 games there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team

If your expectation is to play in the C-USA title game once every 5 years, then by all means, want to fire the coach.

That’s fair and valid.

However, it shows that every team has runs and that getting to the title game isn’t as frequent as you would suggest.

I think Marshall has under-performed many years. I think they’ve also over-performed many years. I would have expected more than 2 appearances in the C-USA title game too.

However, a little perspective never hurts.

Serious question...when did Marshall last over-perform? And what exactly is your definition of "over-performing?"

In 3rd grade.

Grow up.

"retired" Yehh, he is going to get run out at some point

Suppose we had gone 9-3 this year, losing one conference game. We would be in the CCG. And suppose we won that CCG. That puts us at 10-3. Then, go to a bowl game and win that one. That puts us at 11-3. I'll take that every year, as I would guess most Herdlers would. See what happens when you "underachieve?"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT