ADVERTISEMENT

Doc interested in Purdue?

Sep 25, 2009
hearing some chatter about this.

What's the board think ? Would Doc be interested in this?

Big10- his recruiting skills could easily improve this team almost over night.

Would the board want him to move on?

That Purdue job is a career killer. That said, they pay $2 million + to their head coaches so I would assume Doc would jump if offered the chance. I doubt very much he's on their list, though.

A guy like P.J. Fleck would make much more sense for them.

I do not think so. Doc is going to be 60 next year. Purdue is a coach killer of a program. The only coach to have a winning record over all there in modern times is Joe Tiller, and that was a .650 kind of thing being the best of the rest in the Big 10 but only one year of actually challenging the top. And it is a f***ing hard school to get into. Mostly ag-tech and engineering. Purdue has to pass on lots of recruits because of academics. Doc has more $$ than he can spend. Why do that?

Fleck & Brohm seem like natural fits. However, I'd probably look somewhere else if I were them.

The good thing about a job like Purdue (besides the money) is that expectations would be very, very low. Any sort of bowl game there would be considered a success.

Heck, Joe Tiller is considered a coaching god at Purdue yet the man never won 10 games or lost less than three in a single season. He lost 62 games in 12 years.

And Legg was Tiller's OC. Granted, Doc has great recruiting skills. So why would anyone want to see him go? An intense fire burns within. In may not not happen this season, but give him and these kids time and they'll straighten this unexpected mess out.

Fleck seems like a better fit. Not sure what other B10 jobs will be open. Does Legg want to go back to West Lafayette?

That Purdue job is a career killer. That said, they pay $2 million + to their head coaches so I would assume Doc would jump if offered the chance. I doubt very much he's on their list, though.

A guy like P.J. Fleck would make much more sense for them.
I think its a good time to get out but will Purdue take him after having a losing season

If Purdue would take Doc over that hotshot Western Michigan HC, then they deserve to stay a B1G bottom feeder. Pure stupidity.

I don't get where Doc is such a great recruiter. We're the island of misfit toys - most of the kids we "get" have no other options due to grades, crime, mental illness, etc.

And nobody is hiring the guy who coaches Marshall to 5-7 in the worst conference in FBS.

Don't know about Doc, but Bill Legg would be a natural fit to return there; the two of them could do very well at Purdue.

Well if Purdue were to hire Doc then one would think he best win the rest of the schedule and perform well in a bowl game. Otherwise I do not believe the Purdue supporters would not think to much about Doc.

Not to mention that Doc is not even listed as a possible candidate on their list of seven.

You never know, if Purdue wanted to start a community college on its campus then Doc could continue to farm players to actually see the field. And when they're at their prime...BAM! He gets to kick them off the team.

Purdue is an academically challenging school.Many years ago I went over there one weekend to visit a friend.To my surprise on Saturday morning all these people were up headed to class.As a young college student I couldn't hardly believe anyone in there right mind went to school on Saturday morning.I know lots of schools have Saturday classes but I don't think many 4 & 5 star athletes want to go to Purdue to study engineering.Docs not going to Purdue either.

Purdue is a fine state university but they have plenty of pud majors like any other public school. They recruit on the same baseline as every other Big 10 school, save Northwestern.

Wonder if they would approach Holgy at WVU? They aren't going to beat the Big 10 bullies like Meechigan, OSU, Wisky, etc., with the traditional Big 10 power type game or athletes, just can't recruit enough of those type players.

But if someone like Holgy comes in and brings the wide open spread offense in and get enough skilled players from Texas, Florida, etc., the Boilers might find some success, and maybe that type of wide open O will attract more fans.

Wonder if they would approach Holgy at WVU? They aren't going to beat the Big 10 bullies like Meechigan, OSU, Wisky, etc., with the traditional Big 10 power type game or athletes, just can't recruit enough of those type players.

But if someone like Holgy comes in and brings the wide open spread offense in and get enough skilled players from Texas, Florida, etc., the Boilers might find some success, and maybe that type of wide open O will attract more fans.

Despite being in the Big 10, Purdue is a step down from WVU in football.

Reactions: Herd Fever

I would think if Doc were to leave it would be to a place like USF or UCF after a guy like Taggert got a job like UK or even Pursue.

Personally, I would be shocked if Doc ever left. His stock will go down after this year. But on the flip side, could go back up if he turns it around in a big way for 2017. Which I hope he can. Age is working against him. jmo

If Doc turned down the purdue job we should fire him for being stupid. My friend and ex marshall coach gerad parker is their intern coach.

Reactions: Marine03
How lucky could we get if everyone on Purdue 's list turns them down and Doc gets offered the job. Only thing I see in the next 5 years that could possibly turn the program around and get us out of this mess. Dreaming

How lucky could we get if everyone on Purdue 's list turns them down and Doc gets offered the job. Only thing I see in the next 5 years that could possibly turn the program around and get us out of this mess. Dreaming

You can't be serious

Reactions: pdbailey
I don't want doc to go... he is a very good head coach, he has gotten our program headed in the right direction, but he won't be a GOOD coach if he don't make make the proper changes. I think legg and I'm sure a few others need to be replaced. I'll suffer through the pain of a playbook change, why don't me go get like Boise State's OC and offer him double what he making. At least there creative like Marshall was in the 90's

Dear continual eerbilly trolls lurkers and posters. Thank you for your posts and thoughts about Marshall Football. As you too are in the majority of the state that watch Marshall continually I'm certain you will join the rest of the state in wanting to see and renew an annual home and home football and basketball series. All that said, we hope you will likewise make posts similar on this key subject to help support the states economy on your own boards if you ever actually post there.

Thank you The Greenhouse Effect , and yes we have the best IAF in the nation.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Dear continual eerbilly trolls lurkers and posters. Thank you for your posts and thoughts about Marshall Football. As you too are in the majority of the state that watch Marshall continually I'm certain you will join the rest of the state in wanting to see and renew an annual home and home football and basketball series. All that said, we hope you will likewise make posts similar on this key subject to help support the states economy on your own boards if you ever actually post there.

You make a Sistersville-type post like this (which is like all your other posts) and claim you have a college degree from Marshall.

I don't believe you.

I don't want doc to go... he is a very good head coach, he has gotten our program headed in the right direction, but he won't be a GOOD coach if he don't make make the proper changes. I think legg and I'm sure a few others need to be replaced. I'll suffer through the pain of a playbook change, why don't me go get like Boise State's OC and offer him double what he making. At least there creative like Marshall was in the 90's
I don't the offense is the problem with this team. Defense is one of the worst in the country

Offense is not even the offense of last year, it is definitely a problem with this team, until proven otherwise

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT