ADVERTISEMENT

Doc to make annoucement at 4:30

They're gonna open Saturdays scrimmage to the fan base for free and it will be a true game like setting.

This has been post after post topic for years, now it comes and people yawn. They can do nothing gratifying for some now it appears.
I understand your point but members on this board have been waiting for more substantive announcements since the season ended.

Hey, I love that names will be sewn on the back of the jerseys but I fear that it might be akin to putting lipstick on a pig, :(

How things have changed - major announcement " names on the jerseys" , once was the day a "major announcement" was actually a major announcement vs this type of activity.

Last edited:
I've noticed more than a few changes, like the way they ditched that stupid rule that you couldn't watch Saturday practices unless you were Big Green member. I'm glad for this - Marshall football should be accessible. It's not a P5 program, never has been, never will be.

My hope is this philosophy change also bleeds over into more honesty with the fans on the injury report. I don't need to know what the injury is, I don't need to know the specific location of it, just tell me the truth about what's happening with the team I'm following, because not doing that makes it hard to follow said team.

I'm not on the "Fire Doc" bandwagon, but all the same I have not enjoyed his tenure as Marshall HFC at all. Its felt like the fans have been pushed back from the program a bit, like we're considered a liability to the team's success. It's been a weird mix of surprising wins, absurd losses, and milquetoast results, and the whole time the secrecy and opaqueness of the coaching staff makes me feel less interested in trying to follow the team. Maybe its been changes in my personal life during his tenure (I had kids), but I'm probably about half as interested in MU football as I used to be. I'd like to change that.

I've noticed more than a few changes, like the way they ditched that stupid rule that you couldn't watch Saturday practices unless you were Big Green member. I'm glad for this - Marshall football should be accessible. It's not a P5 program, never has been, never will be.

I'm not sure what being or not being P5 has to do with it. Coaches don't like open practices for multiple reasons. One of the biggest is to protect other schools for being able to know what they are doing.

You want a DFO to have to watch 100 people up in the stands for 2.5 hours from 100 yards away to try and determine if some guy is recording plays with his cell phone or just texting? It happens.

I know an FCS program that sent personnel to an open FIU practice to take notes of what they were doing.

You want a fan to post on hypocrite nation about how Litton seeks to be working a lot this week on zone read plays or how he is glad to see that Marshall is throwing to the TE a lot in practice this week?

A good program will have somebody monitoring opposing teams' message boards.

You want somebody posting sideline interviews with a player? FIU's official radio commentator, who also doubles as a writer for their webpage, did that during a practice. In the background, easily seen, were two goal line pass plays the offense was running. They ended up using one of those exact plays in the following game.

An opposing FCS coach found the interview and plays. That FCS school beat FIU.

The same thing holds true for injury disclosures. If a kid is suspended instead of injured, do you really want recruits and the parents of recruits reading that multiple times per year? It makes it look like a renegade program. It hurts your recruiting.

You want to know if Litton is banged up this week or if he is suspended due to a pending criminal charge? The former allows a decent chance he will play. The latter means it probably won't be cleared up by game day. That's a huge advantage for an opposing DC to know.

Want a beat reporter who covers Air Force access to disclose if a player is on crutches, then a few days later report that he is standing on the sideline with a huge wrap on his high ankle area? Great. I know a coach who monitored that and used it to prepare to attack the backup if he ended up playing. After the starter reinjured the tender ankle during the game, the opposing offense was able to throw two TDs over the backup cornerback's head. Why? Because they had prepared to expose that backup solely based on allowing the media access to report on specific practices and injuries.

You either want your team to have the best chance to win or you want access to the program like that. You can't have both.

Reactions: pdbailey
The 2014 FIU Panthers were one of the worst teams ever to carry the FBS designation. They lost to Bethune Cookman because their field goal unit couldn't even snap the ball, not because somebody stole a play from the background of a video.

I'm sure they cracked some champagne in BCU's lockerroom that day, but to the rest of the sports-viewing world that shit was just Laugh-O-Lympics.

The 2014 FIU Panthers were one of the worst teams ever to carry the FBS designation. They lost to Bethune Cookman because their field goal unit couldn't even snap the ball, not because somebody stole a play from the background of a video.

They finished 4-8 that year including 3-9 in C-USA. They finished 8th in C-USA out of 13 teams. They weren't even one of the four worst in their own conference that year, let alone "one of the worst teams ever to carry the FBS designation.

If you're going to exaggerate to the degree of basically lying, at least make it humorous.

Oh, and they snapped the ball fine. It was a bad attempt at a catch. It was also a 46 yard attempt, which is far from automatic even with top 10 FBS schools. I'm guessing the bigger impact on the game was Cookman out gaining them by 60 yards and not turning the ball over.

You're as wrong on this as you are with your unfair criticisms of Doc. He has provided plenty of ammo, just not the blanks you fired.

I'm sure they cracked some champagne in BCU's lockerroom that day, but to the rest of the sports-viewing world that shit was just Laugh-O-Lympics.

Considering Cookman beat them by 21 the previous year, I'm sure they weren't celebrating beating them by 2.

But, hey, nice job diverting the topic away from your failed criticisms of Doc.

Wow, the big news is that he's adding players names to the back of the jerseys.
I guess it would be big news to Doc, people on here have been bitching about names not being on the jerseys for a few years and some even resorted to attacking the program on Facebook and Twitter. It is a nice goodwill move considering the disappointments of last season and Hamrick's frying of the fan base.

You're as wrong on this as you are with your unfair criticisms of Doc.
Do me a favor - using message quoting, please post the criticisms I made. Don't post another mile-long straw man diatribe about the things you say that I'm saying, post what I actually said. This should be fun.

I'm not sure what being or not being P5 has to do with it. Coaches don't like open practices for multiple reasons. One of the biggest is to protect other schools for being able to know what they are doing.

You want a DFO to have to watch 100 people up in the stands for 2.5 hours from 100 yards away to try and determine if some guy is recording plays with his cell phone or just texting? It happens.

I know an FCS program that sent personnel to an open FIU practice to take notes of what they were doing.

You want a fan to post on hypocrite nation about how Litton seeks to be working a lot this week on zone read plays or how he is glad to see that Marshall is throwing to the TE a lot in practice this week?

A good program will have somebody monitoring opposing teams' message boards.

You want somebody posting sideline interviews with a player? FIU's official radio commentator, who also doubles as a writer for their webpage, did that during a practice. In the background, easily seen, were two goal line pass plays the offense was running. They ended up using one of those exact plays in the following game.

An opposing FCS coach found the interview and plays. That FCS school beat FIU.

The same thing holds true for injury disclosures. If a kid is suspended instead of injured, do you really want recruits and the parents of recruits reading that multiple times per year? It makes it look like a renegade program. It hurts your recruiting.

You want to know if Litton is banged up this week or if he is suspended due to a pending criminal charge? The former allows a decent chance he will play. The latter means it probably won't be cleared up by game day. That's a huge advantage for an opposing DC to know.

Want a beat reporter who covers Air Force access to disclose if a player is on crutches, then a few days later report that he is standing on the sideline with a huge wrap on his high ankle area? Great. I know a coach who monitored that and used it to prepare to attack the backup if he ended up playing. After the starter reinjured the tender ankle during the game, the opposing offense was able to throw two TDs over the backup cornerback's head. Why? Because they had prepared to expose that backup solely based on allowing the media access to report on specific practices and injuries.

You either want your team to have the best chance to win or you want access to the program like that. You can't have both.

Geez. Good thing we're so secretive. Otherwise, last season would have been a disaster.....

Do me a favor - using message quoting, please post the criticisms I made. Don't post another mile-long straw man diatribe about the things you say that I'm saying, post what I actually said.

My hope is this philosophy change also bleeds over into more honesty with the fans on the injury report. I don't need to know what the injury is, I don't need to know the specific location of it, just tell me the truth about what's happening with the team I'm following, because not doing that makes it hard to follow said team.

Doc is in charge of deciding if the program releases that a player is injured, being disciplined, or something else. Claiming that there is a lack of honesty with the fans on this topic is a criticism of Doc.

I'm not on the "Fire Doc" bandwagon, but all the same I have not enjoyed his tenure as Marshall HFC at all.

Clear enough.

Its felt like the fans have been pushed back from the program a bit, like we're considered a liability to the team's success.

Doc is the leader of that program. Your earlier claim of dishonesty to the fans and/or not being open to fans pushes you back from the program and makes you feel like a liability. That is a criticism of his program, which is a criticism of Doc.

, and the whole time the secrecy and opaqueness of the coaching staff makes me feel less interested in trying to follow the team.

Doc is in control of his staff. Their "opaqueness" is on his shoulders, and if having any merit, would probably be a result of his orders on how to discuss/handle situations.

Everything I gave examples of were direct reasons why coaches do what you are criticizing Doc of . . . they lead to a better chance at winning.

Maybe its been changes in my personal life during his tenure (I had kids), but I'm probably about half as interested in MU football as I used to be. I'd like to change that.

Having children must impact one's memory, too.

This should be fun.

That's the only thing you've gotten correct in this thread; you were wrong in your criticisms of Doc, wrong in your claims about FIU, wrong in your claims about Cookman, and wrong in your memory.

You're right: that was fun.

Don't post another mile-long straw man diatribe about the things you say that I'm saying...
1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT