ADVERTISEMENT

Dont watch a lot of Marshall basketball, but are SBC refs always this bad?

It’s not just one game. It’s every game. They remind me of the MAC officials back in the day!

They're worse on Saturdays because there are so many teams playing, we're low in the pecking order. It's slightly better in the midweek because of fewer games nationally on a given day.

I remember that Huck once said, and I'm sure I'm paraphrasing: "When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys."

I remember that Huck once said, and I'm sure I'm paraphrasing: "When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys."
I have no clue. Do referee’s get paid differently depending on which conference game they are working?
I haven’t sensed any blatantly bad crews this season……

I have no clue. Do referee’s get paid differently depending on which conference game they are working?
I haven’t sensed any blatantly bad crews this season……
The answer to your question is definitely yes. ACC and other top conferences pay Class A officials around two K a game. It’s a sliding scale based on where the official ranks and the league. You will see the occasional familiar face doing lower level games, picking up some extra cash on off days so they can fly instead of drive.

I can't tell you the number of times a player drove to the basket, the opposing player/defender put their arms straight up, didn't jump, and was called for a foul. Happened to both teams and went on the entire game. It was almost like they just assumed there would be a foul if someone was going to the basket and went ahead and blew the whistle. Makes it borderline unwatchable.

Reactions: horsrman
Talent also makes a difference…..it’s a lot easier officiating teams that can move and are skilled and talented.

And also like someone mentioned earlier Saturday officiating at the bottom level conferences are getting the bottom level officials.

I can't tell you the number of times a player drove to the basket, the opposing player/defender put their arms straight up, didn't jump, and was called for a foul. Happened to both teams and went on the entire game. It was almost like they just assumed there would be a foul if someone was going to the basket and went ahead and blew the whistle. Makes it borderline unwatchable.
Thunder - I’m no rules expert, but I keep hearing tv announcers stating that there was a rule change that affects these blocking vs charging calls? It takes away the significance of the arc in the lane. Someone with knowledge lend a hand here?

Thunder - I’m no rules expert, but I keep hearing tv announcers stating that there was a rule change that affects these blocking vs charging calls? It takes away the significance of the arc in the lane. Someone with knowledge lend a hand here?
The defender needs to be set before the offensive player plants his foot to go air-born. Before, the defender had to be set before the offensive player was air-born. The goal was to reduce charging calls and risk of injury.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
These 3 guys were unfamiliar to me. I usually recognize at least one or two of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT