ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Jeffrey Hively

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
I understand setbacks, utilities, construction techniques and such, but for the life of me, I don’t understand why they continue to build homes - in this case expensive homes - in exact straight rows. All the homes the same distance from the street. Visually boring and cheapens the look of an area.

Really nice area. We looked at several houses in Chapel Hill and Pittsboro and loved it there. Looks like there is pretty quick access to some Greenway trails there as well.

I understand setbacks, utilities, construction techniques and such, but for the life of me, I don’t understand why they continue to build homes - in this case expensive homes - in exact straight rows. All the homes the same distance from the street. Visually boring and cheapens the look of an area.
People generally prefer the largest backyard possible, so the minimum front setback is going to set that line, especially when building on 8,500 sf lots.

Uniformity of lots equals uniformity of layout of homes.

Uniformity of lots equals uniformity of layout of homes.
Yep, that is why I turned my home at a 45 degree angle to my lot when I built. Nothing in the code said I couldn’t and I wanted something different.

I remember the our mayor came down and looked at the construction and said, “Why would you do something like that?”

I replied. “Why would I not?”

Anybody familiar with this guy from his days at Marshall? Not sure where he went to undergrad, but he went to medical school at Marshall before his residency at wvu.

I was doing some online house shopping in Chapel Hill and came across a house that I like. While going through the pictures, I came across picture #11 and saw a Marshall football helmet:

Talk about getting to know your neighbor. What's the clearance between the houses?

Living in NC, I've learned that many West Virginia transplants living down here, who aren't sports fans, use the flying WV as a symbol of the State, not WVU. That said, this guy had a Marshall helmet so he's clearly a sports fan. To h@ll with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT