ADVERTISEMENT

Ellis And His Dog

Tim Hensley

Gold Buffalo
Feb 2, 2009
Once upon a time. back in our first membership in the MAC days, a medium-sized, white dog wandered into Memorial Field House during a heated Marshall basketball game. Colorful Head Coach Ellis T. Johnson seized it as it strutted by, put it on his lap, turned it toward the court, reached in his jacket pocket (seems like the stodgy MAC mandated that he keep it on it) for his glasses and put them on the unsuspecting, docile mutt.

He then pointed at a referee, in a silent disapproval as if to say, "That's you!" Needless to say, he was immediately hit with a technical, as the sold-out crowd roared in approval!!!

There used to be a picture of the glorious occasion hanging on the wall of the east end corridor on the Fifth Avenue side, near the break where you entered the floor level of the arena. Does anyone know where I could get a copy of that photo? I remember that it was a televised game, so there also ought to be a clip of it floating around somewhere.

From Chuck’s column back in 2011 (writing about the impending demolition of the “Vet”)
That's where Hal Greer, Leo Byrd, Charlie Slack and Walt Walowac played. That's where colorful Marshall coach Ellis Johnson once removed his eye glasses and placed them on a dog to make fun of a referee.

A quote from his starting point guard @ that time:
"The referees thought somebody would come and get it," D'Antoni said. "He just kept it on his lap. Well, the next bad call he reaches over to (assistant coaches) Larry McKenzie or Jody Sword, I think Jody Sword was there that first year, and got his glasses He put them on the dog and goes 'Ref, Ref, Ref!'"

Thank's, W-S, for clearing the fog. I sure would like to have that picture for my "We Are...Marshall" room at the B&B. I already have three seats from the Vet, selected from the approximate upper level area where my father took me to my first game when I was about eight-years-old. Also looking for the group, "Heaven's Herd" picture of the 1970 football team to hang over the bed.

Thank's, W-S, for clearing the fog. I sure would like to have that picture for my "We Are...Marshall" room at the B&B. I already have three seats from the Vet, selected from the approximate upper level area where my father took me to my first game when I was about eight-years-old. Also looking for the group, "Heaven's Herd" picture of the 1970 football team to hang over the bed.
How did you mount the seats?

Tim - I am sure someone in the Sports Info Dept. can get a copy of that pic to you. Just e-mail Jason Corriher over @ the Shew.......

Was at the game, in lower student section bleachers across from MU bench. In the mid 60s, pretty sure it was an afternoon game, televised on what was an early MAC network, and opponent was the hated, and then MAC strongboy, Toledo Rockets!! Just remember that it was hot as blazes in the old Field House that afternoon!!

When they were tearing the field house down, I bought three seats together that still had the consecutive numbers on them (hard to find them that way). I also bought left and right-hand metal end pieces off the aisles, which bolt on and serves to stabilize them. A little tan spray paint and they were good to go. The folding seats still have the bubble gum underneath!

I don't remember all the details but it sure did BRING THE HOUSE DOWN !!! I was with my dad on the front row of the balcony. Our seats were even with the west end free throw line. He used to bang the rail so hard the paint would chip off.

Tim Hen or olde herd: Still working on this. Can either of you give me the date of the game? Was it vs Toledo? Working w/Drinko Library...

Yes, there is the dapper Ellis T. -- Adolph Rupp's first All-American! Don't remember the date of the dog incident game, but Danny says it was against Toledo, Sure would be nice if someone could come up with the photo, or more so the clip.

Sat, Feb 4, 1967 REG Toledo MAC W 96 81 9 4 W 5 Memorial Field House

Sat, Feb 10, 1968 REG Toledo MAC W 93 89 11 6 W 3 Memorial Field House

Got to be one or t'other...... interesting that both seasons we got them @ home!! (Hate the Rockets......)

or....
Wed, Feb 19, 1969 REG Toledo MAC W 85 83 8 12 W 1 Memorial Field House

I was a student sitting on front row next to the team. It was a magical moment indeed when Ellis put the glasses on the dog and pointed to the referee.Marshall beat Toledo that day 93-89. A great memory of a great team and great coach.I have no doubt this game was played Feb.10, 1968.

I was a student sitting on front row next to the team. It was a magical moment indeed when Ellis put the glasses on the dog and pointed to the referee.Marshall beat Toledo that day 93-89. A great memory of a great team and great coach.I have no doubt this game was played Feb.10, 1968.

I think you’ll remember Bull the teams were seated along the end lines. That didn’t change until Aberdeen arrived.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Yes, there is the dapper Ellis T. -- Adolph Rupp's first All-American! Don't remember the date of the dog incident game, but Danny says it was against Toledo, Sure would be nice if someone could come up with the photo, or more so the clip.

For the old timers that were there that day (Feb. ?, 1968).....Jack Riggs (owner of the Varsity sports bar & popular hangout for MU students).....was led out in hand cuffs by a couple of Huntington's finest (Blue) to a standing ovation....Jack sucker punched the Toledo head Coach during the melee.....and I can still see in my mind.....one bad-ass HERD player, Jim Davidson (Logan WV) sprinting full court to deck Toledo's, Willie Babione.... No one messed with Big John Brisker...the MAC bully for the Rockets!

I am pretty sure (over 50 years ago & most likely I was intoxicated)...a heated battle for sure....Willie Babione slammed the ball in a Marshall player's face [perhaps Parkie Beam]...and the melee was on.....

Note: Dandy Dan
was hiding behind a Marshall female Cheerleader...he was a Lover...non-fighter! LOL

I am checking...I think Jack Riggs perished with The 75...(11/14/1970)

Zilla22 recalling the fun days in Memorial Field House (Soccer field ocupys that land now).

Helluva fight with Toledo one year. Rockets had John Brisker who was a badass in the ABA. Jim Davison came off the bench and knocked a dude out.

Last edited:
For the old timers that were there that day (Feb. ?, 1968).....Jack Riggs (owner of the Varsity sports bar & popular hangout for MU students).....was led out in hand cuffs by a couple of Huntington's finest (Blue) to a standing ovation....Jack sucker punched the Toledo head Coach during the melee.....and I can still see in my mind.....one bad-ass HERD player, Jim Davidson (Logan WV) sprinting full court to deck Toledo's John Brisker...the MAC bully.

Note: Dandy Dan
was hiding behind a Marshall female Cheerleader...he was a Lover...non-fighter! LOL

I am checking...I think Jack Riggs perished with The 75...(11/14/1970)

Zilla22 recalling the fun days in Memorial Field House (Soccer field ocupys that land now).

Jack Riggs indeed jumped out of the stands and attempted to get to Toledo coach Bob Nichols. Rumor was Jack was packing, as was his custom. JD did not hit Brisker he sucker punched Willie Babione the Toledo point guard and constant irritant.
Riggs was NOT on the plane, he operated the Varsity for a few years after the crash then sort of disappeared. Lol.

Jack Riggs indeed jumped out of the stands and attempted to get to Toledo coach Bob Nichols. Rumor was Jack was packing, as was his custom. JD did not hit Brisker he sucker punched Willie Babione the Toledo point guard and constant irritant.
Riggs was NOT on the plane, he operated the Varsity for a few years after the crash then sort of disappeared. Lol.

THANKS GreenDuke
....lots of water over the dam & Rebel Yell ...since that eventful day. It was magic for sure.....

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney)...in Charlotte

THANKS GreenDuke....lots of water over the dam & Rebel Yell ...since that eventful day. It was magic for sure.....

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney)...in Charlotte

We all have fond memories of that episode and the melee that afternoon but the sad fact is this was the last straw as far as the MAC conference was concerned. Along with the Perry Moss shenanigans and just plain old cheating in the athletic dept. it turned into a mess made tolerable by the success of bb into the early 70’s.

Last edited:
Wow.......this thread delivers!!!!!!!

A little younger than you geezers. My big fight memory was when Louisville Drs of dunk and their badass Darryl Griffith made their only (?) visit to Huntington during late 70’s or 1980. Denny Crum was the long-time coach for their squad. During the 1st minutes of the game, Griffith sucker-punched White on the court! Ken Labonowski was our muscle, a real circus ensued ! The crowd is going wild in the Vet. In unison, we take up the chant: “Leweyville Sucks, Leweyville Sucks!”. Order was restored, UofL won & Crum vowed to never return to the River City!
During the 1968 Ellis/dog show, what role if any did Bob Redd play? He was another one of my favorites on that team.

My only other recollection of fisticuffs was when Jack Battle (great name) punched one of the other teams players as they were running down court. There were only 2 zebras back then, and I guess today he would have been lit up with a flagrant 2!!
Love these great stories!

This thread has a Grandpa Simpson-flashback vibe . . . .

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

This thread has a Grandpa Simpson-flashback vibe . . . .

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

GREAT story
...but you lost me along the way. ONION? War? Big War (WW I) or WW II?

Scratching my head in Charlotte...Zilla22

Wow.......this thread delivers!!!!!!!

A little younger than you geezers. My big fight memory was when Louisville Drs of dunk and their badass Darryl Griffith made their only (?) visit to Huntington during late 70’s or 1980. Denny Crum was the long-time coach for their squad. During the 1st minutes of the game, Griffith sucker-punched White on the court! Ken Labonowski was our muscle, a real circus ensued ! The crowd is going wild in the Vet. In unison, we take up the chant: “Leweyville Sucks, Leweyville Sucks!”. Order was restored, UofL won & Crum vowed to never return to the River City!
During the 1968 Ellis/dog show, what role if any did Bob Redd play? He was another one of my favorites on that team.

My only other recollection of fisticuffs was when Jack Battle (great name) punched one of the other teams players as they were running down court. There were only 2 zebras back then, and I guess today he would have been lit up with a flagrant 2!!
Love these great stories!

I don’t recall Redd (a real favorite of mine), Bob Allen, or George Stone being directly involved. Being a Marine and older than other players Redd was not to be messed with. Allen was a sweetheart and a really smart guy and Stone was as confident as they come. George always enjoyed the fans frustration toward the officials as the custom of the day for many fans was to throw coins on the floor to express their displeasure. Stone never missed a chance to pick up the change and shove it into his socks.

Yes, Davidson ran the length of the court, from east to west along the north sideline to cold cock Babione. They had to send across 5th Avenue to the Choo-Choo for more ice to bring him to !!!!!! In later years, Kenny Labinowski followed suit in pursuit of Louisville's Daryll Griffith, after Greg White took one on the chin.

For you "olde" old timers, remember that Riggs operated another Herd favorite watering hole, the El Gato, on 3rd Ave. around the corner from Gullickson Hall before later setting up in the Varsity.

Also, Brisker was the Rockets "enforcer" but their star player was a smooth 6'8" post player by the name of Steve Mix who was their main scorer. He and the Herd teams had some real battles in that era!!

For you "olde" old timers, remember that Riggs operated another Herd favorite watering hole, the El Gato, on 3rd Ave. around the corner from Gullickson Hall before later setting up in the Varsity.

Also, Brisker was the Rockets "enforcer" but their star player was a smooth 6'8" post player by the name of Steve Mix who was their main scorer. He and the Herd teams had some real battles in that era!!

I watched a guy at the ElGato throw open the door and it hit him right between the eyes and knocked him out cold.

The Mixer was considered to slow, to small, not a good enough shooter, not a good enough defender, not an elite rebounder by most pro scouts. But he managed to have about a 14 year career in the Association. You’re right on it Steve Mix was a terrific college player.

Okay... now I am way too young to claim having been in the Field House in 68 for the Ellis Johnson stunt... but I told that story to a couple of my coaching buddies out here in SoCal and they called BS on me - so if anyone has a photo of it, please scan and post it. Thats beats the hell out of Bobby Knight throwing chairs... quite possibly the greatest Technical Foul ever earned by a coach in the history of the game.

I was there for Coach Huck's infamous press conference after a game at Rupp Arena in 1988 that was much closer than the 91-78 score (they shot 39 free throws). About lost it when Huck dropped the "If I was President of the United States I would want those three striped sons-of-bitches protecting me the way they did the home team tonight." Total "drop the mic" bomb there!

Okay... now I am way too young to claim having been in the Field House in 68 for the Ellis Johnson stunt... but I told that story to a couple of my coaching buddies out here in SoCal and they called BS on me - so if anyone has a photo of it, please scan and post it. Thats beats the hell out of Bobby Knight throwing chairs... quite possibly the greatest Technical Foul ever earned by a coach in the history of the game.

I was there for Coach Huck's infamous press conference after a game at Rupp Arena in 1988 that was much closer than the 91-78 score (they shot 39 free throws). About lost it when Huck dropped the "If I was President of the United States I would want those three striped sons-of-bitches protecting me the way they did the home team tonight." Total "drop the mic" bomb there!

I don’t have a picture but I was there and it happened.
Now I will say its possible many are conflating the “dog” game with the Toledo fight game. I’m probably wrong but my recollection is the dog game was a Saturday night game( maybe Western Mich) and the Toledo game was a Saturday afternoon game televised as the MAC game of the week. I’ll go with the crowd on this one because I’m not completely sure about which game the pooch strolled into the FH. But it did happen and I believe the HD might have a picture on file.

SoCal - refer back to earlier post in this thread. I pulled part of an HD story before the MU vs Morehead game last season. Direct quote from the starting point guard!! Too many are remembering for it to be BS....
I seem to remember the bitch was a short-hair !

SoCal - refer back to earlier post in this thread. I pulled part of an HD story before the MU vs Morehead game last season. Direct quote from the starting point guard!! Too many are remembering for it to be BS....
I seem to remember the bitch was a short-hair !
Oh... my man, I KNOW it happened... wasnt me questioning it. Thats why I'd love to have a photo of it to show these jokers.

I don’t have a picture but I was there and it happened.
Now I will say its possible many are conflating the “dog” game with the Toledo fight game. I’m probably wrong but my recollection is the dog game was a Saturday night game( maybe Western Mich) and the Toledo game was a Saturday afternoon game televised as the MAC game of the week. I’ll go with the crowd on this one because I’m not completely sure about which game the pooch strolled into the FH. But it did happen and I believe the HD might have a picture on file.

Green - what you are saying makes sense. We lost to WMU 01/27/68. It was like 96-92.
Ellis would have been after the refs in that kind of close contest. I am still on the hunt for the pic!

Reactions: Refiner's Fire
Slight correction on whether or not EJ was Rupp’s 1st AA. He was the 1st......

In 1933, Johnson became Adolph Rupp’s second All-American at Kentucky. He was the first athlete at UK to letter in four sports — basketball, football, baseball and track — in the same season.

Maybe the funniest thing I saw at the Fieldhouse was also at a Marshall basketball game. Not sure who they were playing but the Marshall coach was the great Ellis Johnson. During the first half Coach Johnson and the refs were not seeing eye to eye on some of the calls and Coach Johnson left the floor at half, not a happy camper. When Marshall came out in the second half, sitting beside Coach Johnson at the bench was a dog. The dog was wearing a pair of glasses. The place went nuts and Coach Johnson was then assessed a technical. This was one of those things that you just never forget.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I was at the field house and saw the dog.....the eye glasses.....and the look on the ref's face when Ellis pointed to him then the eye glass wearing dog and he immediately thumbed Ellis out of the game.

The place went crazy.......Great remembering.
the loudest I've heard the field house get.

I was at the field house and saw the dog.....the eye glasses.....and the look on the ref's face when Ellis pointed to him then the eye glass wearing dog and he immediately thumbed Ellis out of the game.

The place went crazy.......Great remembering.
the loudest I've heard the field house get.

Since we are sharing Field House stories.....
back in the day when I was a student (late 60's)......seating was tight. Therefore, if your last name ended A-L, you picked up a ticket for a particular game. Next home game was awarded to student's names ending M-Z. I was enterprising...I sought out a co-ed that was never going to attend a Hoops game, had her pick up a ticket to give to me. Her reward was a Big KISS from me. Well, that was Bull Spit....adds some flavor to my story. LOL.

My Kappa Alpha Order brothers & I always perched way up high in the end zone. We sneaked liquor (glass bottles of Rebel Yell) into the Field House. Once consumed, it was like Tora Tora Tora.......I can still HERD the smashing of glass hitting the concrete. The MU campus police (like Barney Fife) would rush to the end zone...."OK, Who has the liquor?" Never a peep out of us....

HerdZilla22

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT