ADVERTISEMENT

Elmore Wink

Sep 18, 2010
That sums up our problem. Jon should be embarrassed. No senior leadership. Down 17 and he wants to be cute for the announcer. His level of arrogance is what has destroyed this team. He thinks he's going pro...what a joke. Honeymoon over for this staff after last year's run. This team is terrible away from home and the chances of a tourney run with this leadership is slim. I can't even imagine how far we will drop off next season. Glad Danny won himself one ring because he won't win another.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
That sums up our problem. Jon should be embarrassed. No senior leadership. Down 17 and he wants to be cute for the announcer. His level of arrogance is what has destroyed this team. He thinks he's going pro...what a joke. Honeymoon over for this staff after last year's run. This team is terrible away from home and the chances of a tourney run with this leadership is slim. I can't even imagine how far we will drop off next season. Glad Danny won himself one ring because he won't win another.

He's been doing it all season. The announcers at WKU were commenting on it. Just shows how big their egos have gotten that they're getting blown out by 50 points and he's winking at the announcers.

Jon Elmore's senior season ranks of there as one of the most disappointing senior campaigns ever at Marshall. I cannot remember a player in either basketball or football having this horrible of a senior season when so much was expected.

I get so tired of hearing how this guy is an NBA quality guard.

Last edited:
I’m not sure that Elmore is the best player on the team. I believe he may be the best shooter, but CJ Burks is the best overall player. In 5 of the last 7 games Burks has been the high scorer. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I’m not sure that Elmore is the best player on the team. I believe he may be the best shooter, but CJ Burns is the best overall player. In 5 of the last 7 games Burks has been the high scorer. Just my opinion.

Burks is more complete. I could agree. He's played like garbage too. Been a turnover machine and has shot a ton to get those points.

His boneheadedness at WKU lost us the lead.

You are so wrong. He will go pro. Not NBA but peiple like Ajdin are make over 100k per year in Europe. If you get paid to do something, you are a pro,
Have you not seen the redshirts play? Have you not seen players like Rucker and Marko and Taylor? Plus he will sign 1 or may 2 more
The cupboard will be far from bare.

You are so wrong. He will go pro. Not NBA but peiple like Ajdin are make over 100k per year in Europe. If you get paid to do something, you are a pro,
Have you not seen the redshirts play? Have you not seen players like Rucker and Marko and Taylor? Plus he will sign 1 or may 2 more
Meister knows what his is talking about as he "sees every practice"

Meister, I love your optimism. I don't disagree that Jon will make money overseas. NBA is a joke and that is Jon's goal. Not one freshman next year including redshirts will make an impact. The jump is too much (Iran great example). Not saying they can't be developed into good players but next year after losing your best 3 players will not be pretty. I'm glad you think Danny will sign a few impact players but again I point to Sustic and Beyers and the impact they have made in year 1. The reality is that Danny will never have a better back court than what he has this year. But hey I only watch games and am not present at the practices where they apparently light it up vs that incredible D we display every game. We just lost by 50 to Southern Miss. Take your homer hat off for one minute...What would we be saying if Tom Herrion was coaching this team after all these embarrassing losses????

Last edited:
And just for the record these American players can make much more than $100k overseas. I wish Jon the best and hope he cash's in which he very likely will. But he has zero shot at any career in the NBA and needs to wake up and focus on leading this year's team into March vs winking at an announcer down 17 then watching his team lose by 50 to a VERY average basketball team.

Meister, I love your optimism. I don't disagree that Jon will make money overseas. NBA is a joke and that is Jon's goal. Not one freshman next year including redshirts will make an impact. The jump is too much (Iran great example). Not saying they can't be developed into good players but next year after losing your best 3 players will not be pretty. I'm glad you think Danny will sign a few impact players but again I point to Sustic and Beyers and the impact they have made in year 1. The reality is that Danny will never have a better back court than what he has this year. But hey I only watch games and am not present at the practices where they apparently light it up vs that incredible D we display every game. We just lost by 50 to Southern Miss. Take your homer hat off for one minute...What would we be saying if Tom Herrion was coaching this team after all these embarrassing losses????

Ummm, 3213, believe it wasn't all that much longer after Tom Herrion's Herd was destroyed 102-46 down in Hattiesburg that he was packing his bags and heading out of Huntington!

MU fans...will look at a wink as a sign of weakness and lack of leadership.

But Heaven forbid they look at the head coach as the reason for the loss.

Face it, Dan had this team unprepared and when MU was down, made zero adjustments to fix the problem.

He can likely make more money working for his dad. IF that is what he chooses to do. It’s been a disappointing year, no doubt.

Peneva had much larger upside for "pro" ball than Elmore does. Peneva had not reached his potential and was still raw last year. Elmore reached his peak against Wichita State and then I hate to say he saw where he stood when that guard for wvu ate him alive in the NCAA tournament. That was a reality check.

I will CALL that RING bet for Dan.
......brando3213....A case of Captain Morgan????

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Jon was winking at the broadcasters last year!
Jon knows he’s having a down year; heck his free throw percentage is way down, makes me think its a head problem. Coach Dan said his Brother Mike had a down year his senior season, didn’t get out of the funk until about the last 6 games. Dan’s been telling Jon not to press (pressure) to hard, just shoot buckets!
So, hope Jon figures it out and just play ball!!!

Go Herd!!

He had offers from high majors to grad transfer, and turned them down to finish up at Marshall, where he is currently on track to miss post-season play of any kind. Unseemly as this stuff may be, I don't think any of us have a right to poke at this guy, since his decision to stay here was probably fortuitous for us, and huge a misstep for him.

He had offers from high majors to grad transfer, and turned them down to finish up at Marshall, where he is currently on track to miss post-season play of any kind. Unseemly as this stuff may be, I don't think any of us have a right to poke at this guy, since his decision to stay here was probably fortuitous for us, and huge a misstep for him.

Wow, i feel so blessed.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Jon was winking at the broadcasters last year!
Jon knows he’s having a down year; heck his free throw percentage is way down, makes me think its a head problem. Coach Dan said his Brother Mike had a down year his senior season, didn’t get out of the funk until about the last 6 games. Dan’s been telling Jon not to press (pressure) to hard, just shoot buckets!
So, hope Jon figures it out and just play ball!!!

Go Herd!!

Mike didn’t have Russ Lee around that last season. Sound familiar.

Ooh lawd this board is such a sh-t show.
You are the one telling me we should be grateful because Elmore stayed and he made misstep by staying. He is not having his best year here. Is that why he is not having his best year? But, if he went to a high major he would be doing better? And, we are somehow supposed to be honored by that?

And iirc, Mike D stunk it up in that 1st round NIT loss to St Peters......a game we went into assuming a easy W.....and you know what happens when you assume.....

Didn’t see the whole game but I remember the fans thought Marshall got a good draw but MU shot poorly as I remember and it was very frustrating. The opponent that day was Fairfield, the St Peters 3OT game was the first round of the ‘68 NIT as Elnardo Webster went for about 51 and broke Stone’s one year old single game record.

He's been doing it all season. The announcers at WKU were commenting on it. Just shows how big their egos have gotten that they're getting blown out by 50 points and he's winking at the announcers.

Jon Elmore's senior season ranks of there as one of the most disappointing senior campaigns ever at Marshall. I cannot remember a player in either basketball or football having this horrible of a senior season when so much was expected.

I get so tired of hearing how this guy is an NBA quality guard.

honestly I never hear ANYONE speak of him as an NBA guard. the only thing I hear is sarcastic NBA references when folks are upset with the team or him....or they make comments like you just did. who is saying he is going NBA, I'd like to see those comments.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
But, if he went to a high major he would be doing better?
My guess is having multiple true bigs and a strong supporting cast in the backcourt probably wouldn't hurt his game, and playing on a national stage against named competition with inevitable tournament play in his future probably wouldn't hurt his pro prospects either.

Set a reminder: repeat this take in five years and see what reaction you get. This guy is going to go down as one of the best to ever play in Huntington, with his name all over the record books, a banner in the rafters, and a Herd Hall of Fame induction an inevitability. It'd be awesome if you went to the Big Green event for his induction and stood up and yelled, "We should have kicked you out of school after your Junior year!"

My guess is having multiple true bigs and a strong supporting cast in the backcourt probably wouldn't hurt his game, and playing on a national stage against named competition with inevitable tournament play in his future probably wouldn't hurt his pro prospects either.
Look at Makai Mason @Baylor.

Reactions: herdalicious

Set a reminder: repeat this take in five years and see what reaction you get. This guy is going to go down as one of the best to ever play in Huntington, with his name all over the record books, a banner in the rafters, and a Herd Hall of Fame induction an inevitability. It'd be awesome if you went to the Big Green event for his induction and stood up and yelled, "We should have kicked you out of school after your Junior year!"
I never said that. I am happy to have Elmore. But, I am not going to sit here and go OMG I am so honored to have him what will we ever do. That'st the way you worded it. Not me. You acted like he did us a favor. OK, well. OK. It also looks like he can't carry a team either.

Hell, he might have gone some where and been second string as well. ;)

Reactions: johns_1124
Meister knows what his is talking about as he "sees every practice"

Just cause you have nothing better to do then to "See" a practice that should have been closed months ago, does not mean you know what the hell is going on. See Below.

DDs “system”.

There is no "System". It's all Freelance, with undersized man-to-man. Thank God we didn't sign him to a long term contract.

Just cause you have nothing better to do then to "See" a practice that should have been closed months ago, does not mean you know what the hell is going on. See Below.

There is no "System". It's all Freelance, with undersized man-to-man. Thank God we didn't sign him to a long term contract.

you are an idiot.

Reactions: pdbailey

GREAT REPLY....another positive one all in the same day!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

So "johns_1124.....
why do you have a "case of contempt" against Dan? Just a heads up...in WV, coaches contracts have to be updated annually....no long terms----just extensions! Mandated by the WV government.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
you are an idiot.

Grandpa, What part am I an Idiot on?

So "johns_1124.....why do you has a "case of contempt" against Dan?

No Contempt, I'm just starting to believe he has no "System" in place. Coaching NBA and College are two different things. What I understand is coaching NBA is more Managing Egos, NCAA is X's and O's and I don't see it out of your "Cousin".

Last edited:
Grandpa, What part am I an Idiot on?

No Contempt, I'm just starting to believe he has no "System" in place. Coaching NBA and College are two different things. What I understand is coaching NBA is more Managing Egos, NCAA is X's and O's and I don't see it out of your "Cousin".

I realize that it’s just not in our nature to enjoy a good run in one of our 2 main sports teams, but you would think a program in the dumpster, the cupboards not well stocked with abundant talent, that since season 2 has shown steady improvement leading to a post season in year 4 unlike any before in the 115+ years of the program’s existence would result in a modicum of patience within its fan base, especially since the conference season is not yet half-way finished!! (Waaaay too long of a sentence!)
Did we give up when the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor?
I do not believe the players or coaching staff have stopped fighting, so I am all in!!
Go Herd!!

I realize that it’s just not in our nature to enjoy a good run in one of our 2 main sports teams, but you would think a program in the dumpster, the cupboards not well stocked with abundant talent, that since season 2 has shown steady improvement leading to a post season in year 4 unlike any before in the 115+ years of the program’s existence would result in a modicum of patience within its fan base, especially since the conference season is not yet half-way finished!! (Waaaay too long of a sentence!)
I do not believe the players or coaching staff have stopped fighting, so I am all in!!
Go Herd!!

W-S, "Germans attacked Pearl Harbor"? You sure the "W" in your handle doesn't stand for "Wild Bill Kelso", John Belushi's alter ego in "1941"? :D

Go Herd!!

Why is criticism of the current season not enjoying the run? I don't think you could find one Marshall fan that did not enjoy that post season run last year.

What are we being patient for exactly? What we were being patient on paid off last season when we won the conference and then won our first ever NCAA Tournament game. Logically the fan base's expectations were raised as was the profile of this program. Everyone figured that after last year's showing while we not beat all three of the power teams we scheduled we get at least one of them and would be competitive in those games. Well that didn't happen. We got absolutely slaughtered in those games. Add on top of that the performance at OHIO and the overall road performance this season.

It's not that some of the fan base is being impatient. We just assumed based on last year's results that this program had taken a step forward. As of right now it appears that it has taken somewhat of a step backward. Now does that mean we can't get on another run? No it doesn't. We could catch fire again.

People on here need to stop attacking those that have criticisms on this season. There are reason's to have concern.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT