ADVERTISEMENT

FBI investigation is going to be devastating ...

MUCO68

Silver Buffalo
Jan 27, 2011
...to a LOT of big programs. It could even affect the Tournament selections!

The "fix" is in. In the end, the Power transgressors will be hit with the proverbial "slap on the wrist". I'm sure that they will end up with their programs intact, maybe be hit with the loss of a scholarship or two. About the equivalent of a grade school child being sent home with a note for the parents from the teacher!

Reactions: Eerfool
I don't know about that. The Penn State scandal was very isolated within a single community and within NCAA football. It was so grossly immoral what they did to those boys that they had to do something.
This extends veyond one program, this is an e tire athletic department. It also extends to the Olympics...it is possible there could be pressure from multiple outlets for a possible Death Penalty.
Plus, some of these programs are well known enough to make an example out of. The myth that someone like MSU would be forever devastated is false. PSU would not suffer as badly as they claim...had they gotten the Death Penalty. I imagine their alumni would begin rounding up donors to get a major surplus of money so when they do return, they won't miss a step at all.

There is not going to be a death penalty for anyone, unless the NCAA needs a scapegoat and pins one team so that 20 others can get off... If you don't get the "death penalty" for an administrator raping middle school boys on campus, then that penalty no longer exists.

Also, this will be tied up in court for YEARS (much like the UNC academic scandal) and people will eventually forget about it and it will go away. There is no way it will effect this year's NCAA tournament.

There is not going to be a death penalty for anyone, unless the NCAA needs a scapegoat and pins one team so that 20 others can get off... If you don't get the "death penalty" for an administrator raping middle school boys on campus, then that penalty no longer exists.

Also, this will be tied up in court for YEARS (much like the UNC academic scandal) and people will eventually forget about it and it will go away. There is no way it will effect this year's NCAA tournament.
Exactly. The schools will make coaches the scapegoat and claim ignorance. The ncaa will hammer Smaller schools while the big dogs continue on their merry way. They will sanction the bigger schools but they won’t have the same effect as they do on schools like marshall

The NCAA's lawyers will keep all of this suppressed until after the tournament. Punishment after the fact will be the ever-dreaded "abdication of wins." Ask a Memphis fan if their team appeared in the 2008 title game.

Speaking of, boy has that program come back to earth, huh? Its crazy, after years of touting how they were just naturally this dominant basketball program, they lose their shady coach, Josh Pastner fails to keep the train rolling, and within just a few years they've fallen off the face of the earth. Did their success ever have anything to do with their program?

If the NCAA holds true to their past "actions," SMU will get a 2nd death penalty because Louisville and Adidas paid Brian Bowen's Dad. Also, UT Chattanooga will get a 5 year tournament ban and a show cause for their head coach because Bruce Pearl cheated AGAIN at Auburn....That should clean things up asap....

In all seriousness, this seems like a last ditch gasp by the prosecution here by "leaking" this article. The possibility of Andy Miller having 50+ people/schools on his "payroll" is absolutely not possible financially and if he did pay AAU guys, that is not an NCAA violation. This whole situation will end up fading off into oblivion. Most of the assistants are already having charges reduced or dropped because the prosecution screwed up. The shoe company guys, the agents and the advisor will take the brunt of this whole situation.

Reactions: HerdFan1971

Sorry, I was speaking entirely about MSU and their mess of an AD.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Yet North Carolina can commit what amounts to DECADES of academic fraud and the NCAA taps out like the bunch of punks that they are.

giphy.gif

One difference with the unc situation - the academic fraud that took place there extended far beyond the athletics program....it involved the greater student body and became more of an accredidation Issue than an ncaa issue....i’m not defending unc nor ncaa, just pointing out that ncaa didn’t have total jurisdiction in what was a larger cheating issue

One difference with the unc situation - the academic fraud that took place there extended far beyond the athletics program....it involved the greater student body and became more of an accredidation Issue than an ncaa issue....i’m not defending unc nor ncaa, just pointing out that ncaa didn’t have total jurisdiction in what was a larger cheating issue

Yes, but this is the exact kind of violation the NCAA should be dealing with. It pertains to a direct advantage to scholarship athletes, even if other students also got that advantage. The basketball/agent/shoe company scandal fits as well because it paid money to families and influenced recruiting. I think sometimes the NCAA inserts itself into criminal cases where they don't belong. But it seems to me that phoney classes that keep athletes eligible should be in their purview.

Isn't that the very definition of lack of institutional control?

i understand your points, but unc incident involved departmental academic fraud - it wasn’t ‘designed’ to give special treatment to student athletes....and if it’s lack of institutional control it’s loss of academic control....may be getting into the weeds a little too much, but unc should have been slammed by their accredidation authority more than ncaa....

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
i understand your points, but unc incident involved departmental academic fraud - it wasn’t ‘designed’ to give special treatment to student athletes....and if it’s lack of institutional control it’s loss of academic control....may be getting into the weeds a little too much, but unc should have been slammed by their accredidation authority more than ncaa....
I agree they should have taken a huge academic hit but the ncaa could have and should have done more especially since athletes were guided to a certain major/classes

If anyone thinks those fake classes were started for any reason other than to benefit varsity athletes I don’t know what to tell you. This goes back to Deano in the early 90’s after Duke went back to back along with 5 straight FF’s. They allowed other “students” in the scam to provide cover. This cluster was to big for the NCAA to handle. They ran away and hid instead of taking the hard road and burying those clowns.

If anyone thinks those fake classes were started for any reason other than to benefit varsity athletes I don’t know what to tell you. This goes back to Deano in the early 90’s after Duke went back to back along with 5 straight FF’s. They allowed other “students” in the scam to provide cover. This cluster was to big for the NCAA to handle. They ran away and hid instead of taking the hard road and burying those clowns.

No, Now, Now...GREENDOOK..
...chill out my man...all is not pure in Durham...just saying!

HerdZilla22...Go HERD & Go Heels

You’re the type of Walmart fan they rely on to toe the company line. Congrats you’re geography relocation school got away with it, based on you’re pyramid scheme career I can understand you not understanding the obvious.
Hope u went to church you hateful thing

Reactions: GreenDuke
I LOVE THIS...and I am laughing with Michael too.

HerdZilla22...Go HERD & Go Heels....

Got it, Zilla. It's probably a little deep for a lower species to sufficiently comprehend. You did say you are originally from Mount Hope, right? Says it all right there, my man!! :cool:

You’re the type of Walmart fan they rely on to toe the company line. Congrats you’re geography relocation school got away with it, based on you’re pyramid scheme career I can understand you not understanding the obvious.

LOW BLOW...Dookie Green....let's not get personal...You are sounding like Rifle (Ryan Koobe).

Zilla22 in Tar Heel Country ...and the HEELS have a 5-game ACC Hoops win streak including a victory Coach K'y lads a few weeks ago.......LOOK OUT Dookies
Got it, Zilla. It's probably a little deep for a lower species to sufficiently comprehend. You did say you are originally from Mount Hope, right? Says it all right there, my man!! :cool:

Go Mustang Nation.....

HERDZilla22 in Charlotte

I would say the shit will hit the fan, but with Duke and UNC involved maybe everyone gets a free pass.
No, with Xavier and Wichita St involved, those two schools will take all the sanctions. The power schools involved will just get fined and they just have to raid the petty cash fund to pay for it. I know that football and basketball have different scholarship rules and money payout structures, but there seems to be cheating going on across the board in both sports and it needs to be stopped with harsh penalties. Here is what I believe should happened to each school involved in this situation and in future situations in football and basketball:
  • The current college players involved should be suspended/ruled ineligible until they payback the money or turn pro. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to former players.
  • The coaches and administrators involved in the dealings or that knew about it should be fired and suspended from coaching or working at a college for a minimum of 5 years (show-cause)
    • For other coaches within the program, they should be considered guilty by association as there is little chance that they did not know what was going on, As a result, they should not be fired but fined a much smaller amount. This rule would result in more self-policing within each program.
  • The schools involved should be hit with a major fine and required to payback the NCAA money they received during those years of violating the rules to be redistributed evenly to the other D1 schools.
  • The schools involved should also get scholarship reductions for 5 years with over site to prevent scholarships being taken from squad players that aren't major contributors just so that they can bring in stars.
    • In football, reduce a schools counter spots to 20 per year from 25 and reduce roster limit from 85 to 80.
    • In basketball, reduce the school to only 10 scholarship spots per year from 13.
  • Don't punish the current and future players that did nothing wrong by not allowing postseason play. If the team earns it then they should still be eligible to compete.

New article I read says at least 20 top basketball schools could be effected. Would be great if WVU and Thuggins is in on the violations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT