ADVERTISEMENT

Final Standings

muthed

Silver Buffalo
Aug 25, 2018
Marshall football finished tied for second in the East Division. According to Sam that was a very successful season. If you break down the final standings in CUSA basketball by the same division setup, Marshall finished tied for second behind Western. I'd say that was a very successful season. After all, we were picked 11th before the season started. What does Sam say?

....Sam doesn’t say anything....until Tuesday.
Marshall is the only C-USA men’s basketball program to win 10+ games in conference play each of the past 5 seasons. Gotta appreciate how Dan D’Antoni has turned the program around.

Also - 9 out of 14 teams finish the reg season with .500 or better records. The football teams are jealous!!

Wow, IF CUSA basketball played in divisions (it doesn’t) we would have finished 2nd (we finished 6th, or IF it wasn’t for this idiot pod system, 5th, whatever).

Don’t embarrass yourself by mixing basketball with football. CUSA football teams are all trying to be on the same level; one-third don’t try at basketball and another third don’t have the resources. We should always be in the top 4, every year.

Gloating about finishing:

16-15 overall
15-15 vs. Division I
6 wins vs teams with winning records.
(And barring major upsets, in one-bid league tournaments)
0 or 1 (Robert Morris) vs NCAA tournament teams
0 or 1, or 2) wins versus NIT teams (RM, Duquesne)
Only being crap (6th) rather than the C R A P predicted (11th)

Wow, IF CUSA basketball played in divisions (it doesn’t) we would have finished 2nd (we finished 6th, or IF it wasn’t for this idiot pod system, 5th, whatever).

Don’t embarrass yourself by mixing basketball with football. CUSA football teams are all trying to be on the same level; one-third don’t try at basketball and another third don’t have the resources. We should always be in the top 4, every year.

16-15 overall
15-15 vs. Division I

giphy.gif

Considering the source, this is absolutely the funniest/most ironic quote in a long time on here.
This entire debate of busting on hoops after the NCAA run a few years ago and cutting football slack almost seems manufactured by the pro football group. Seems like they were hoping for a losing season in hoops this season to justify the flat results form football recently. Remember Doc is up for a new contract so Im sure he has his peeps out pushing an agenda

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
No, it is just basic facts.

CUSA was assembled FOR FOOTBALL. Every team in CUSA is trying to be on the same level, IN FOOTBALL.

Basketball, and everything else, was brought along. 14 different programs with 14 different levels of interest, commitment, and funding for basketball, and everything else. A third don’t try, another third does not have the resources for two major sports and puts 90+% into football. Leaving the upper third. We are in that third. We are underperforming.

A third don’t try, another third does not have the resources.

I'm sick of pointing out your illogical and contradictory statements between football and basketball, so I will just go back to mocking your grammar.

In this quote of yours, you use the plural form by using "don't" when referring to "a third," but then you immediately use the singular form by using "does not" when referring to the same "a third." Why the flipflop, Samantha/Sammy/liar?

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoHerd1106

CUSA was assembled FOR FOOTBALL. Every team in CUSA is trying to be on the same level, IN FOOTBALL.

Basketball, and everything else, was brought along. 14 different programs with 14 different levels of interest, commitment, and funding for basketball, and everything else. A third don’t try, another third does not have the resources for two major sports and puts 90+% into football. Leaving the upper third. We are in that third. We are underperforming.
What are the conference records since Dan has taken over?

makes no sense here. Marshall not putting the money into hoops to b successful?

I figured out a long time ago that there is a difference between basketball and football, Sammy. One is totally round. The other is somewhat round, but pointy on both ends. I first came to know MU bball in December of 1965. Stone, Redd, Allen, etc. In the Field House. From that point until this day I have been intrigued by fast paced Marshall bball. I'd much rather win than lose, and MU has won more than they've lost, but just watching 5 guys in green and white getting up and down the court in exciting action is good for me. Football, also, in the last 30 some years has put a winner on the field. Maybe I got spoiled in the 90's, but I still yearn for that high potency offense from our football team. And I haven't seen much of it recently.

Last edited:
I figured out a long time ago that there is a difference between basketball and football, Sammy. One is totally round. The other is somewhat round, but pointy on both ends. I first came to know MU bball in December of 1965. Stone, Redd, Allen, etc. In the Field House. From that point until this day I have been intrigued by fast paced Marshall bball. I'd much rather win than lose, and MU has won more than they've lost, but just watching 5 guys in green and white getting up and down the court in exciting action is good for me. Football, also, in the last 30 some years has put a winner on the field. Maybe I got spoiled in the 90's, but I still yearn for that high potency offense from our football team. And I haven't seen much of it recently.

muthed - I imagine I am a little younger, but also remember George, Bob & Bob in the FieldHouse! Maybe, because I fell hard for Herd basketball before football explains my hierarchy of Marshall sports. Those guys (incl DD) were something else. Prob the most exciting 8 season stretch in the modern era. 3 NIT’s, our 2nd invite to the Dance (as an at-large!), and just pure entertainment! There is a blown up picture of 3 MU players walking up to an entrance to MSG. The one on the right is DD. The marquee advertises Marshall vs Houston. I believe that game took place in 1968. It was on local TV, and the Herd acquitted itself very well vs a “Big E” - led Cougar squad, which was highly ranked at the time. Agreed with your sentiments, both round ball and pigskin!

p.s. we played them in the Gahden 10 days after “The Game of the Century” vs UCLA. We were the only team other than the Bruins to stay w/in 10 pts (102-93) in a season where they were routinely demolishing opponents by 35+ points!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967–68_Houston_Cougars_men's_basketball_team

Last edited:
muthed - I imagine I am a little younger, but also remember George, Bob & Bob in the FieldHouse! Maybe, because I fell hard for Herd basketball before football explains my hierarchy of Marshall sports. Those guys (incl DD) were something else. Prob the most exciting 8 season stretch in the modern era. 3 NIT’s, our 2nd invite to the Dance (as an at-large!), and just pure entertainment! There is a blown up picture of 3 MU players walking up to an entrance to MSG. The one on the right is DD. The marquee advertises Marshall vs Houston. I believe that game took place in 1968. It was on local TV, and the Herd acquitted itself very well vs a “Big E” - led Cougar squad, which was highly ranked at the time. Agreed with your sentiments, both round ball and pigskin!

p.s. we played them in the Gahden 10 days after “The Game of the Century” vs UCLA. We were the only team other than the Bruins to stay w/in 10 pts (102-93) in a season where they were routinely demolishing opponents by 35+ points!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967–68_Houston_Cougars_men's_basketball_team
I watched that game also. We played a great game and the New York fans were cheering us on.
It turned into a home game for us. If I remember correctly, Bob Redd made our last shot of the game racing down court, and at the top of the key jumped, with a couple Houston players in his face, took the ball behind his back to his other hand and hit nothing but net. If three point shots had been instated, we could have won. Thanks for bringing up that memorable game.

I figured out a long time ago that there is a difference between basketball and football...

but just watching 5 guys in green and white getting up and down the court in exciting action is good for me.

Football...I got spoiled in the 90's, but I still yearn for that high potency offense from our football team.

That pretty much sums it up better than I could ever.

Basketball. Accepting mediocrity. Remembering brief successful years from 50 years ago. But just watching the team is “good enough” for you. Accepting mediocrity.

Football. SPOILED. Pining away for a long gone era.

16-15 overall
15-15 vs. Division I
Kinda sounds like football... lol

We are on the same page......I graduated from MU in 1969, graduate school 1970. I recall games in the old Field House where the place was electric with fans & students that sold the place out [6,500 for basketball].

Side note: I was watching the Sun Belt Final featuring Lipscomb @ Liberty. The announcers said it was the last game to be played in Vines Arena [about 10,000]. The Flames move into a new facility next season with seating of 4,000. I find that strange the decisions makers are lowering the seating to less than half of the current availability. Liberty has a very modern baseball field [2,500 chairbacks] and their seating for football is 25,000.

Games were popular @ Marshall in the 1960s with the student body....you could only secure tickets for one game. If you name ended with A-L you got two tickets, next game L-Z picked up two tickets. I was more enterprising. I found a co-ed that did not want to attend games and she got me two tickets, therefore, I saw all games.

I still get excited for ANY Herd sporting team.....I bleed GREEN and I bore people by constantly talking about Marshall.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
We are on the same page......I graduated from MU in 1969, graduate school 1970. I recall games in the old Field House where the place was electric with fans & students that sold the place out [6,500 for basketball].

Side note: I was watching the Sun Belt Final featuring Lipscomb @ Liberty. The announcers said it was the last game to be played in Vines Arena [about 10,000]. The Flames move into a new facility next season with seating of 4,000. I find that strange the decisions makers are lowering the seating to less than half of the current availability. Liberty has a very modern baseball field [2,500 chairbacks] and their seating for football is 25,000.

Games were popular @ Marshall in the 1960s with the student body....you could only secure tickets for one game. If you name ended with A-L you got two tickets, next game L-Z picked up two tickets. I was more enterprising. I found a co-ed that did not want to attend games and she got me two tickets, therefore, I saw all games.

I still get excited for ANY Herd sporting team.....I bleed GREEN and I bore people by constantly talking about Marshall.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Vines Arena will remain and they are going use both facilities based on anticipated attendance for the event.

....Sam doesn’t say anything....until Tuesday.
Marshall is the only C-USA men’s basketball program to win 10+ games in conference play each of the past 5 seasons. Gotta appreciate how Dan D’Antoni has turned the program around.

Also - 9 out of 14 teams finish the reg season with .500 or better records. The football teams are jealous!!

That really isn't something to brag about.
It reminds me of Doc and his 10 win seasons. Nobody cared because of the level of competition and how awful CUSA is at football.
Same can be said for basketball, CUSA is awful as well...except instead of overall, its just conference, since they have to compensate for horrendous out of conference records.
The team, by measure of pre-season magazines (take that for what it is, even Dan joked about how low MU was projected to finish and felt we should have been ranked higher) did better, but lets not make this into more than it is.

Reactions: The Real SamC
This entire debate of busting on hoops after the NCAA run a few years ago and cutting football slack almost seems manufactured by the pro football group. Seems like they were hoping for a losing season in hoops this season to justify the flat results form football recently. Remember Doc is up for a new contract so Im sure he has his peeps out pushing an agenda

Honest question.
Basketball gets slack for its past 30 or so years of not being good.
Yet, Dan, relatively quickly in a depleted conference that had some decent basketball schools (see AAC) and pushed Marshall beyond what it has ever done.
Elmore and co. by all accounts, underachieved in his final year.
MU has since had to replace him.

My question is this.
IF MU has an early exit, or frankly, doesn't win CUSA this year, how much slack is Dan going to get to start winning again?
Clearly, he has shown he CAN win and we all have seen this team's potential for winning.
But you can't keep going back 30 years to say, "well look at our history" because Dan certainly doesn't use that as an excuse for losing and frankly, MU fans shouldn't either. If anything, he's moving MU past that.
Would he need to win next season to keep his coaching seat from heating up or what?

GoHerdMarshallYes that was actually a very realistic question.

This is my opinion I think Dan got a pass last season due to the fact we lost Penava unexpectedly. Yes I know the criticism is he should have had somebody to take his place ready to go but especially in mid majors you aren’t going to just easily replace someone like him. Plus the fact that they did win the CIB tournament. Now nobody believes that tournament means squat but it was nice for our fans to see us win a post season tournament even one that doesn’t mean anything, so that bought him extra goodwill that he may not have had.

This year is a different story people have been highly critical this year. On this board some of Dans biggest fans have had a lot of issues with the horrible inconsistencies that our team has had this year. One game looking like a conference champ next game looking like a team that might not make the CUSA tournament. The rotation has never really been decided all year. Foul shooting has been horrible etc.

So I think you are starting to see the criticism get louder and come from different areas not just the Ones who have never liked Dan to begin with. But he still has received somewhat of a pass because of losing 2 of the most prolific scorers in our history. You just don’t replace people of that caliber overnight especially in a mid major.

But I honestly feel if Marshall sucks in the OOC part of the schedule next year and gets off to a slow start with all that we have coming back and with 2 on paper what looks like great recruits then I think the growling will get very loud, and no more passes will be given by the fan base.

This is my opinion I think Dan got a pass last season due to the fact we lost Penava unexpectedly. Yes I know the criticism is he should have had somebody to take his place ready to go but especially in mid majors you aren’t going to just easily replace someone like him. Plus the fact that they did win the CIB tournament. Now nobody believes that tournament means squat but it was nice for our fans to see us win a post season tournament even one that doesn’t mean anything, so that bought him extra goodwill that he may not have had.

This year is a different story people have been highly critical this year. On this board some of Dans biggest fans have had a lot of issues with the horrible inconsistencies that our team has had this year. One game looking like a conference champ next game looking like a team that might not make the CUSA tournament. The rotation has never really been decided all year. Foul shooting has been horrible etc.

So I think you are starting to see the criticism get louder and come from different areas not just the Ones who have never liked Dan to begin with. But he still has received somewhat of a pass because of losing 2 of the most prolific scorers in our history. You just don’t replace people of that caliber overnight especially in a mid major.

But I honestly feel if Marshall sucks in the OOC part of the schedule next year and gets off to a slow start with all that we have coming back and with 2 on paper what looks like great recruits then I think the growling will get very loud, and no more passes will be given by the fan base.
Seems like Doc gets a pass every year.

Reactions: caliherd
Honest question.
Basketball gets slack for its past 30 or so years of not being good.
Yet, Dan, relatively quickly in a depleted conference that had some decent basketball schools (see AAC) and pushed Marshall beyond what it has ever done.
Elmore and co. by all accounts, underachieved in his final year.
MU has since had to replace him.

My question is this.
IF MU has an early exit, or frankly, doesn't win CUSA this year, how much slack is Dan going to get to start winning again?
Clearly, he has shown he CAN win and we all have seen this team's potential for winning.
But you can't keep going back 30 years to say, "well look at our history" because Dan certainly doesn't use that as an excuse for losing and frankly, MU fans shouldn't either. If anything, he's moving MU past that.
Would he need to win next season to keep his coaching seat from heating up or what?
considering how bad our program has been for the 30 years the answer is no to the hot seat question, but having said that he has his entire team back so I see good things in the future. Penava leaving hurt that team last year so not sure it really under performed since they won the buy-in tourney.

Reactions: herd2believe

No good will built up with the fan base for winning an NCAA game, but we let Doc be average year after year? Again, Im sensing a double standard and the football program not happy with basketball success.

Its a rebuilding year!

Its a rebuilding year!
True, but last year was a MAJOR disappointment. We were co-favorites to win the league and didn't even finish in the top pod. We lost by 30+ points to every power conference team we played and lost by 50 to Southern Miss. The CIT was fun but let's not act like beating Presbyterian, IUPUI, Green Bay and Howard at home was some huge accomplishment.

To make things worse, Dan let Ante Sustic hold the program hostage and cause us to miss out on Cam Justice - who would have helped a bunch this year.

2019-2020, in and of itself, was fine. Rebuilding/.500 type seasons happen. But when you combine 2018-2019 with this year, I understand why some of our fans are a little down on the program.

All of that said, the program looks to be trending upward. We SHOULD return everyone of significance in 20-21 and add two excellent recruits in Early and OAK.

True, but last year was a MAJOR disappointment. We were co-favorites to win the league and didn't even finish in the top pod. We lost by 30+ points to every power conference team we played and lost by 50 to Southern Miss. The CIT was fun but let's not act like beating Presbyterian, IUPUI, Green Bay and Howard at home was some huge accomplishment.

To make things worse, Dan let Ante Sustic hold the program hostage and cause us to miss out on Cam Justice - who would have helped a bunch this year.

2019-2020, in and of itself, was fine. Rebuilding/.500 type seasons happen. But when you combine 2018-2019 with this year, I understand why some of our fans are a little down on the program.

All of that said, the program looks to be trending upward. We SHOULD return everyone of significance in 20-21 and add two excellent recruits in Early and OAK.
Good points but I feel expectations were a little off last year considering Penava leaving, so to me last season was not a disappointment with his late exit. The late exit put us in a bad spot to take a chance on Beyers and Sustic. My feeling is Dan is the winningest coach we have had since Huck and people are talking about a hot seat. Sure, I think Dan is still learning how to build a program at this level but his success sure being used against him at this point.

btw, your post was insightful and honest without being overly critical of the hoops program but I don't see the mods doing the same for football. Again, I feel a double standard. I almost get the impression the foundation for a new contract for Doc is being laid. Just my two cents.

Re: how “hot” will DD’s seat ever get? IMHO, not at all. The vibe I get is that people are “fine with it” and “one time we made the NCAAs and actually won a game”. “Whatever” seems to be the major viewpoint.

This gets combined with a, unjustified IMHO, idea that this team of young bad players will someday mature into something other than older bad players; and the eternal to MU meme that a local boy can come home and lead us to some return to a promised land which we never really have been to in the first place, to form a bubble around the entire program which only a truly terrible season, which is about impossible given the lack of competition, would destroy.

In sum, DD will be here until he wants to retire.

Re: how “hot” will DD’s seat ever get? IMHO, not at all. The vibe I get is that people are “fine with it” and “one time we made the NCAAs and actually won a game”. “Whatever” seems to be the major viewpoint.

This gets combined with a, unjustified IMHO, idea that this team of young bad players will someday mature into something other than older bad players; and the eternal to MU meme that a local boy can come home and lead us to some return to a promised land which we never really have been to in the first place, to form a bubble around the entire program which only a truly terrible season, which is about impossible given the lack of competition, would destroy.

In sum, DD will be here until he wants to retire.
You do realize this is the most success MU has had in hoops since Huck?

You do realize this is the most success MU has had in hoops since Huck?

Yes, which is why I covered that viewpoint with “one time we made the NCAAs and actually won a game.” Making the NCAAs once, and losing (badly) in the second round, is “enough” for many people, including you. Some don’t even care about that, and are “happy just to see 5 guys in green and white play” is enough. Especially if the coach is an alum and a likable guy with lots of empty slogans.

The sad part is, between those two groups, nothing is demanded, and mediocrity is accepted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT