ADVERTISEMENT

Final Standings

Especially if the coach is an alum and a likable guy with lots of empty slogans.

And really cool Tshirts under a sports coat. By god if we have an off the cusp image, it gives recognition! Which is really what most fans seem to want in this state.

I have said it before and I will say it again unapologetically.. there are two groups of fans in this state who are so annoying and they are about 25% of each program.

1. WVU fans who care more about where the team is ranked, how many times the announcer talks about how cool they are on how many mentions they get on TV vs the team they are playing. WVU could win the game and their fans would bitch about the fact the announcer mentioned Texas 26 times while mentioning WVU 25 times. They care more about publicity than they do wins and losses. And no matter what game or who they're playing or when/where/why- some coal country or current armed forces guy on facebook is going to bitch about media or announcer bias.

2. Marshall fans who think having a movie made somehow puts Huntington on the map of relevance. They hold on to the tragedy and exploit it to stay relevant to the national spotlight. Every chance they get to mention the fountain, the movie or some 5, 10 25, 50, 37 138 or whatever year anniversary of anything related to the tragedy, it becomes overblown and exploited, and frankly makes me sad to watch play out. I mean how many times did we change the helmets on the week of the anniversary BEFORE the movie? Yet now its something every year to make sure we need to nationally mention it. I actually think it becomes somewhat disrespectful when it gets overblown. I am sure others don't share that opinion and thats fine, but it's how I feel and I am not apologizing for feeling that way.

Point being- Dan is a personality. I actually like the guy and I am not sure that we are going to do better than him as far as wins/losses and the direction of the program. But being that he is a personality with some gimmicks, that actually plays into some fans. It makes him slightly more 'relevant' than a guy wearing a suit. It gets him an extra mention or two in a tournament game. It makes those fans happy that like to hear the name Marshall more than they like for Marshall to win games.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Re: how “hot” will DD’s seat ever get? IMHO, not at all. The vibe I get is that people are “fine with it” and “one time we made the NCAAs and actually won a game”. “Whatever” seems to be the major viewpoint.

This gets combined with a, unjustified IMHO, idea that this team of young bad players will someday mature into something other than older bad players; and the eternal to MU meme that a local boy can come home and lead us to some return to a promised land which we never really have been to in the first place, to form a bubble around the entire program which only a truly terrible season, which is about impossible given the lack of competition, would destroy.

In sum, DD will be here until he wants to retire.
So DD being here is a good thing, in my opinion. I love his style and we are winning.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Yes, which is why I covered that viewpoint with “one time we made the NCAAs and actually won a game.” Making the NCAAs once, and losing (badly) in the second round, is “enough” for many people, including you. Some don’t even care about that, and are “happy just to see 5 guys in green and white play” is enough. Especially if the coach is an alum and a likable guy with lots of empty slogans.

The sad part is, between those two groups, nothing is demanded, and mediocrity is accepted.

“Blah, blah, blah blah blah, blah blah...accepted.”

YGM - I think you make some good points. There has been a lot of build-up as the 50th has approached. Like WWII vets, the 75th will be w/o many who were alive at the time. Time will tell if the focus fades by then...

Correct Ryan.......ATLANTIC Sun.........I made a mistake for the first time in over 30 years!

HerdZilla22

That was right about the time you got arrested for assaulting your now ex-wife. Are you admitting that was your last mistake?

Yes, which is why I covered that viewpoint with “one time we made the NCAAs and actually won a game.” Making the NCAAs once, and losing (badly) in the second round, is “enough” for many people, including you. Some don’t even care about that, and are “happy just to see 5 guys in green and white play” is enough. Especially if the coach is an alum and a likable guy with lots of empty slogans.

The sad part is, between those two groups, nothing is demanded, and mediocrity is accepted.

So if you slam your fist down on the table and demand change due to mediocrity then you have coaching risk. Risk getting another Ron Jirsa or Dwight Freeman. You risk pissing off Dan's brother Mike, and don't forget financial risk. Dan works for below market so the next guy will need more money.

I just find it interesting that the lack of talent card is getting played when everyone knows (or should know) that Dan recruits to a system. Basektball is different because you don't need kids that jump out of the gym to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT