ADVERTISEMENT

Football game dates/times & TV coverage

Oct 10, 2014
Can anyone remind me when game times, finalized dates and TV games start to be announced for the upcoming football season? I'm concerned we will have some games moved to days other than Saturday. I'm not really ok with that unless it's the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Hamrick said on Twitter about an hour ago that it's not finalized, but it's "looking good" that all of our games will be on Saturday this year.

Dates probably won't be finalized until the end of May or early June. It's taking a lot longer this year because of TV contract negotiations. Exact times might not be decided for some games until 12 days before they happen.

Reactions: Herdcane3
My worst fear about going back to ESPN is being forced to play Wednesday/Thursday/Friday games. It kills attendance and takes away from the overall home field advantage The Joan provides. Hopefully we have more staying power now and will not be subjected to those games.

The way it seems to work, at least so far, is that any network has the power to dictate a Sat. start time with this "12 day window". But, weeknight games have to be decided before the season starts. I suspect the networks (current rumors is an ESPN/CBSSN combo) already have their weeknight games penciled in for 16, with other conferences, because they don't yet know for sure what CUSA's status will be.

But going forward, it just scares me to death. We are obviously THE draw in CUSA and have plenty of future home games that the Evil Empire would love to force us to play on Tuesday at 6:30. It just kills the live gate.

Just about everyone and every league plays Thursday games now. So, I wouldnt be too upset if we had one game played on a Thursday. or a Friday night game. But, having more than one home game not played on a Saturday would really suck.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
The people on the C-USA board are saying this supposed new deal with ESPN wouldn't have weeknight games other than Thursday/Friday. I actually prefer those start times to Saturday at noon, but more than one at home per season would be a bit much.

The people on the C-USA board are saying this supposed new deal with ESPN wouldn't have weeknight games other than Thursday/Friday. I actually prefer those start times to Saturday at noon, but more than one at home per season would be a bit much.

I wouldnt mind one home and one away game on a Thursday or Friday. And, I agree that noon kickoffs suck.

My worst fear about going back to ESPN is being forced to play Wednesday/Thursday/Friday games. It kills attendance and takes away from the overall home field advantage The Joan provides. Hopefully we have more staying power now and will not be subjected to those games.

While I agree with this completely, it would be hugely beneficial for the program if at one point in time we line up a Wednesday/Thurs/Fri game against a power 5 team, and make a statement during prime time. Being able to capitalize on just 1 situation like that would be a massive boost for the program's perception across the country. The odds of lining that up are low, but cool to think about nonetheless..

While I agree with this completely, it would be hugely beneficial for the program if at one point in time we line up a Wednesday/Thurs/Fri game against a power 5 team, and make a statement during prime time. Being able to capitalize on just 1 situation like that would be a massive boost for the program's perception across the country. The odds of lining that up are low, but cool to think about nonetheless..

Do you mean like Purdue last season?

I did read on Twitter that Mike wants 2 of the first 3 home games to be at night.

Marshall Football is always best under the lights. I seriously doubt ESPN would slot us for a 7 pm game national telecast v UL but if it did happen it would probably be the biggest game in a decade for Marshall.

Is it just me, or are the number of Southern NJ State School of Furniture Arson Trolls seem to keep increasing on this board despite either men's major program refusing to play Marshall out of fear of losing?

7pm on a Saturday night in the Joan. The only way to watch Herd football!!!!

At least until November. Not so sure after November 1. Night games at that time of year will probably not add any more, and probably less, fans in the stands as, say, 3:00 pm or 4:00pm kickoffs would.

UTSA's booster club tour (wow, everybody must know everyone at every stop) is already reporting a deal with ESPN and CBSSN and that its home game with Arizona State has been set for a Friday night on ESPN2.

Well if they kick off at 7 pm that's what 9pm EST. Probably gives them 1st half coverage in the east, and gets UTSA a game to sell its program to the west v a P5.

I thought the addition of San Antiono for college was a smart one for cusa.

Sked has to be out soon, I'd speculate Hamrick keeps us Saturday intact, he knows what it means to the Huntington economy as does the mayor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT