ADVERTISEMENT

Football stadium and beer sales question

mubaseballking

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 21, 2007
I'm watching the Colorado State/Oregon State football game. During one of the breaks in play CBS Sports highlighted a aspect of the new CSU stadium, the New Belgium Porch behind one of the endzones. Now I know that New Belgium Brewing Company is based in Fort Collins, so having a business partnership between the university and brewery is beneficial to both. As part of this partnership, the brewery and University have released a Colorado State themed beer, Old Aggie.

I have to wonder if a similar partnership could be formed between Marshall and one of the WV based beer makers. It could serve as a great marketing opportunity for both sides, along with generating revenue. The beer could be sold at the Joan during games and possibly made available throughout the State during football season.

Reactions: jbherd
All in favor of a beer porch! Especially if waaaaay back in the open air corner of the new porch, we could have a smoking area. Never have to step outside during a game. Bad Habit? Of course. Tired of walking clear outside? Absolutely. JMO
GOOOO HERD!!! ONE WEEK

Yeah because cigarette smoke only stays where you exhale it. If you want to kill your self with cigarettes that's fine but don't include me and my kids in your habit

Are you kidding- the air and food quality in Huntington is worse than cigarettes..

Sorry Pullman - there is no smoking section at the stadium or on campus. Guess you will have to go out at the half to your vehicle (or wherever) and light up.

Sorry Pullman - there is no smoking section at the stadium or on campus. Guess you will have to go out at the half to your vehicle (or wherever) and light up.

That's I already do. I usually park on 20th street and tailgate with friends, so I can actually just go to my own car at halftime.

Funny, the HD had a poll about beer sales in the stadium. 84 respondents said they would stay in the Joan and buy their beer, while 85 said they would still go to their cars.

Funny, the HD had a poll about beer sales in the stadium. 84 respondents said they would stay in the Joan and buy their beer, while 85 said they would still go to their cars.

TwolfHerdfan, if that ratio holds for the entire number of beer drinkers in the Joan on game days, then MU stands to make a little money. Additionally, those likely to overindulge and get Sh#$faced will more likely be those who leave the stadium and drink elsewhere. Thankfully, too, for those seated near those over indulgers many of them will not return to the stadium after the half.

Common sense would normally dictate that those overindulging in drinking to the point of getting wasted would do so on what we would assume to be the cheaper drinks available at the cars, etc., rather than paying the assumed higher prices inside the Joan.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Has there ever been any figures released about last years beer sales and revenue made? Can't ever see Marshall making a fortune on beer sales while they still allow people out and in at halftime.

Has there ever been any figures released about last years beer sales and revenue made? Can't ever see Marshall making a fortune on beer sales while they still allow people out and in at halftime.

A lot of the ones that leave at half don't come back regardless. I don't think beer sales has much say in it.

Of course beer sales wont have much say while MU continues to allow people to leave at the half. Those who go out at the half to continue their tailgate and drink beer Pullman how does that NOT affect beer sales in the stadium?

Of course beer sales wont have much say while MU continues to allow people to leave at the half. Those who go out at the half to continue their tailgate and drink beer Pullman how does that NOT affect beer sales in the stadium?

Because most of the ones that leave are half-ass fans who are there to socialize instead of watch the game. It's pathetic

I can't wait to buy a beer inside the stadium, then pour that cheap shit out and refill the cup with the beers I smuggle in.

Reactions: KellyGreenAlumni
HerdFan76 glad you can afford to "pour that cheap shit" - $7 a beer, out and replace with beer you smuggle in.
Just saying.

HerdFan76 posted "Cheap and inexpensive aren't always interchangeable." Uh ok. Your play on "cheap" and "inexpensive" begs the question what the hell is the difference? Asked with a smile.

IMHO,

- Every beer thread I have ever read on any forum on any subject goes down the same path. People that like beer and people that like craft "beer". People that like craft "beer" are to beer as people that say "well I like football, except it should feature 4 guys trying to bounce a large round ball into a hole in the ground with a croquet mallet." are to football. You don't like football. And you don't like beer. Give me a good American lager made in a big factory-brewery by professional brewers anyday. Auggie Busch, Fredie Miller, and Adolph Coors got it right, and some hippie in Portsmouth is not going to improve on it in his kitchen sink.

- In any event, isn't the Coors-Miller distributor a big Herd guy? So that is what we are going to get, right?

- Making an open party area for drinking, like the Charleston baseball park has, replacing some of the unsellable metal seats in the McDonald's end of the stadium is a good idea.

- We are not going to make big $$ off this is we allow passouts. We are going to lose fans if we don't. Catch 22.

IMHO,

- Every beer thread I have ever read on any forum on any subject goes down the same path. People that like beer and people that like craft "beer". People that like craft "beer" are to beer as people that say "well I like football, except it should feature 4 guys trying to bounce a large round ball into a hole in the ground with a croquet mallet." are to football. You don't like football. And you don't like beer. Give me a good American lager made in a big factory-brewery by professional brewers anyday. Auggie Busch, Fredie Miller, and Adolph Coors got it right, and some hippie in Portsmouth is not going to improve on it in his kitchen sink.

- In any event, isn't the Coors-Miller distributor a big Herd guy? So that is what we are going to get, right?

- Making an open party area for drinking, like the Charleston baseball park has, replacing some of the unsellable metal seats in the McDonald's end of the stadium is a good idea.

- We are not going to make big $$ off this is we allow passouts. We are going to lose fans if we don't. Catch 22.

I agree on getting rid of the seats that only see fans once a year for a beer area. I think improving the atmosphere draws a lot of fans who might generally stay home.

That being said, craft beer is much better because of the quality. It can be mass distributed and still be good. Bud light is garbage. So Im with you on the idea of where and how, but to only sell crap for $7 a bottle is going to be a turn off for a lot of people. I would rather support local breweries AS WELL as have the regulay bottled beer. Nothing wrong with having a few kegs at a game at $10 a pop for local beers. We want to attract as many fans as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT