ADVERTISEMENT

Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses

Start the effort now. Pay for it. Then go after who needs gone after for restitution.

That’s pretty basic insurance 101 .

Someone wouldn’t even want to wait for the other party’s insurance to accept liability even in a simple auto accident.

So I can’t imagine how long you’d be waiting on something like this.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
That’s pretty basic insurance 101 .

Someone wouldn’t even want to wait for the other party’s insurance to accept liability even in a simple auto accident.

So I can’t imagine how long you’d be waiting on something like this.

Then why didn't they just say that very thing to begin with?

"They claim the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge was “not due to any fault, neglect or want of care” of the companies and that they shouldn’t be held liable for any loss or damage from the disaster."

We shall see how that argument holds up in court.

There are many arguments they could make regarding the design, construction and maintenance of the bridge. I read something about the design of the pilings of this particular bridge.

This article is behind a pay wall but it references the fact that this bridge is one of less than 3% nationwide that couldn't sustain a direct hit to one of its pilings. Might be related to the aforementioned.

I was getting ready to copy that section when a call came in and forced me to refresh the page later.

There are many arguments they could make regarding the design, construction and maintenance of the bridge. I read something about the design of the pilings of this particular bridge.
I am no engineer, but I strongly feel that there's not much on the state side that would have kept that bridge from coming down.

In the end, F=ma. And that was a LOT of m.

In a perfect world, I guess the bridge would have been retrofitted with every possible measure to protect against the very worse case scenario. I don't think that is realistic.

It seems like blaming the road for your car crash....when you were driving like an idiot or your brakes failed...and you chose to not repair your brakes.

I am no engineer, but I strongly feel that there's not much on the state side that would have kept that bridge from coming down.

In the end, F=ma. And that was a LOT of m.

In a perfect world, I guess the bridge would have been retrofitted with every possible measure to protect against the very worse case scenario. I don't think that is realistic.

It seems like blaming the road for your car crash....when you were driving like an idiot or your brakes failed...and you chose to not repair your brakes.
There are protectors you can put on for the ship to hit instead of the support but they can only do so much against a giant cargo ship.

Here is the same article I referenced earlier. Actually good journalism for a change. I have no opinions regarding the cost-benefit analysis of this. But I do think this information will be used by any and all parties to limit liability.

"A Maryland pilot, brought aboard along with an apprentice to ensure safe passage out of the harbor, issued a mayday warning just a few minutes before the ship crashed into a column of the bridge — which state officials knew, at least as early as 1980, could not withstand a direct blow from a ship. The bridge was one of only 3% in the country classified as “fracture critical,” meaning that if a certain portion of the bridge were to fail, the entirety of it would, too."

"The bridge’s two essential piers, which kept it upright since it opened in 1977, sat all but naked in the Patapsco River and there is no doubt the bridge could have had stronger protection in the water. But whether or not that would have enabled it to withstand a direct strike depends on who you ask."

"The 35 people who died when the Tampa bridge collapsed in 1980 illustrated the “importance of protecting” a span’s anchor piers, Yerrid, the attorney, said."

"That incident became a watershed moment in bridge design. When the Sunshine Skyway was rebuilt seven years later, engineers added 36 “dolphins” — cylindrical island barriers that act as bumpers for the bridge’s supports."

"The Key Bridge had a sparse protective system, engineers have said. Yerrid called its piers an “Achilles' heel.”"

Here are the bumpers or dolphins on the rebuilt Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

CnRFnUOWgAATgz6_mkaq47.jpg

Reactions: 30CAT
The goal is probably not to stop the ship but rather to deflect it so as not to be a direct hit.
I am aware of this.

I am also aware we are talking about deflecting 1.5 trillion Joules of kinetic energy.

This makes me wonder if many of these dolphins are a hope and a prayer, because God knows we do everything on the cheap.

There are different sizes of boats though. Just because a dolphin won’t stop a worse case scenario cargo ship doesn’t mean it is useless, as there are some sizes of ship that 1) would do a lot of damage to the bridge but 2) would be deflected or even stopped by the dolphin.

Including, I would think, a lot of ships it would be easier for a bad actor to get ahold of.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
There are different sizes of boats though. Just because a dolphin won’t stop a worse case scenario cargo ship doesn’t mean it is useless, as there are some sizes of ship that 1) would do a lot of damage to the bridge but 2) would be deflected or even stopped by the dolphin.

Including, I would think, a lot of ships it would be easier for a bad actor to get ahold of.
I 100% agree with this. My comment is solely for the case of these giants.

I am aware of this.

I am also aware we are talking about deflecting 1.5 trillion Joules of kinetic energy.

This makes me wonder if many of these dolphins are a hope and a prayer, because God knows we do everything on the cheap.

If you look closely at the large dolphins on the Sunshine Bridge it appears they were designed to protect, deflect and also absorb the kinetic energy. It's not entirely about deflecting 1.5 trillion Joules. It is about absorbing AND deflecting it.

No doubt there would likely still be structural damage but the hope is it wouldn't be catastrophic. Dropping anchor before impact should also lessen the amount of kinetic energy.

Also note there are sacrificial dolphins before you get to the main dolphins to absorb and deflect this energy as well.

Don't laugh. The FBI is planting evidence that shows your orange jesus was navigating the ship and did it on purpose.

Then you should have taken it up with KY when he posted his comment 2days ago. My laughing had nothing to do with DJT or Hillary, inbred.
No. You should have, since you're complaining about what's being introduced in threads. Moron.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT