ADVERTISEMENT

Fury

bEER_Nation13

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 2, 2012
Great movie, possibly the greatest war movie I've seen in past 10 years. Not sure if that's giving the movie any more credit because there haven't been that many good war movies in past decade. But the movie Fury is really good, great acting.

I agree, I really 'enjoyed" it as well, it is difficult to enjoy a movie of that nature.

Keep, that is completely understandable and I am sorry for your loss. I have often wondered how those with experience on the ground are able to watch a War movie.

Originally posted by wvkeeper(HN):
I'll be honest. Ever since a couple guys I knew were KIA in Iraq I have a hard time watching any war movies.
I do too, honestly. I hate to see war Hollywoodized. But, somehow I am drawn to them and it makes me appreciate those men/women who gave their all even more.

Originally posted by herdfan06:
Keep, that is completely understandable and I am sorry for your loss. I have often wondered how those with experience on the ground are able to watch a War movie.
I know some guys that have been through some serious stuff and some of them go watch them just like you or I. And, some not so much. I know guys that have been through bad stuff and play Call of Duty with their kids and some don't even like to look at it. I think it effects them in different ways.

It would be very difficult to top "Saving Private Ryan". Maybe the best movie I have ever seen, period. (Personally)

Overall, while not a movie, "Band of Brothers" is my all-time favorite.

I am also a little biased towards Fury since my grandfather was in the tank division over in Europe. I wish I had his discharge papers, would love to see where was stationed, battles/raids, etc. Perhaps I can go request one from military or government.

Saving Private Ryan was damn good but I would have to say my favorite war movie of all time is Apocalypse Now. I thought Martin Sheen put on 1 hell of a performance.

Letters from Iwo Jima was pretty good too.

My Top 5:

1) Saving Private Ryan
2) Band of Brothers
3) The Pacific
4) Platoon
5) Full Metal Jacket

Honorable Mention - In no particular order:

Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Blackhawk Down, The Hurt Locker, American Sniper, Lone Survivor, The Longest Day, The Dirty Dozen, The Great Escape, Stalag 17, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Thin Red Line, Patton, MASH.

Pretty damn good list.....I've watched many of these multiple times.

The Longest Day is my favorite by a long shot. May be cause I saw it so long ago the first time and it left a big impression on me.
Fury was good, one of the better ones in he past few years.
Saving Private Ryan is up there to along with The Big Red One.
Vietnam era movies I go with Go Tell The Spartans and We Were Soldiers
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by imherdfan:
The Longest Day is my favorite by a long shot. May be cause I saw it so long ago the first time and it left a big impression on me.
Fury was good, one of the better ones in he past few years.
Saving Private Ryan is up there to along with The Big Red One.
Vietnam era movies I go with Go Tell The Spartans and We Were Soldiers

We Were Soldiers...good book and good movie.

Originally posted by CockyHerd:
My Top 5:

1) Saving Private Ryan
2) Band of Brothers
3) The Pacific
4) Platoon
5) Full Metal Jacket

Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Blackhawk Down, The Hurt Locker, American Sniper, Lone Survivor, The Longest Day, The Dirty Dozen, The Great Escape, Stalag 17, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Thin Red Line, Patton, MASH.

I just didn't think the pacific was in the neighborhood of band of brothers. It may have been a victim of my own expectations, looking for it to be as good as BoB. I've tried to re-watch it, and just don't get sucked into it. I've watched band of brothers so many times it's silly.

One of the most underrated war movies is "Where Eagles Dare".

It's a 1968 film with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton.

Originally posted by ToesMU:
American Sniper and Unbroken are way better war movies than Fury, which is saying a lot since Fury was really good.
The American Sniper book was way better than the movie.

Originally posted by HerdFan73:

Originally posted by CockyHerd:
My Top 5:

1) Saving Private Ryan
2) Band of Brothers
3) The Pacific
4) Platoon
5) Full Metal Jacket

I just didn't think the pacific was in the neighborhood of band of brothers. It may have been a victim of my own expectations, looking for it to be as good as BoB. I've tried to re-watch it, and just don't get sucked into it. I've watched band of brothers so many times it's silly.
I would agree......Every episode of BoB was outstanding. The Pacific had a few weak episodes but all in all it was still great.

My Grandfather was wounded twice in France and my Father-in-law was wounded on Guadalcanal in WW II , so I'm really interested and have unbelievable respect for our WW II veterans?

I visited the WW II Memorial in DC last Summer and their was a bus load of veterans there. It was just a moving experience to be there in their presence.

It also didn't hurt that one of my favorite characters on BoB was from Huntington. Carwood Lipton was a true American Hero!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT