ADVERTISEMENT

G5 Top Ten

BraveSaintStuart

Gold Buffalo
Jan 7, 2011
How does everyone see this shaking out? As the season goes along, I'll be polling with the CFB subreddit in their weekly G5 Top Ten thread.

My Top 10 at this point:

1. Houston - Undisputed. That is, until Cincinnati.

2. San Diego State - A five point win over a Pac 12 team is reasonably impressive.

3. Boise State - A 3 point win over a Pac 12 team is also impressive. The pre-season polls had Wazzu ahead of Cal in the preseason polls, but not by much. I figure it's more or less a wash between them, so the nod goes to SDSU.

4. Cincinnati - Put up some points against Purdue. Purdue sucks, but Cincinnati is a good team to beat them by more than 2 scores.

5. Central Michigan - Say what you want about the play that shouldn't have happened. They went toe-to-toe with the #22 team in the country and came out with a W. They may make the top 10 if they narrowly lost.

6. East Carolina - Beat in-state rival and ACC bottom-feeder by 3. Good enough for top 10 status, anyway.

7. Southern Mississippi - Beat an SEC team, but it's UK in egg-ball season. Very impressive win though. Our game this year is going to be tough.

8. Western Michigan - Squeaked by a B1G team and then trounced a little guy. Good start to the season.

9. South Florida - That they're not listed in anyone else's top 10 after soundly beating Northern Illinois is concerning for a G5 Summit. Anyone who follows MACtion knows how difficult NIU can be, and USF made short work of them.

10. Appy State - The only team in the top 10 with a loss. They took the "#9 team in the country" to overtime and should have won the game. They then took out their frustration on Old Dominion who should just be better than that... but they aren't.
My disclaimer is that I fully expect Marshall to be in this poll as early as next week (for me, anyway). But a 1-0 record with a win against Morgan State is not enough for me to rank us ahead of even a 1-loss Appy State or a 1-loss Troy. At the end of the day, I think we'd beat the crap out of Troy and would favor us against Appy State as well. But the body of work isn't there yet, and these polls aren't for measuring talent. They're for measuring how a team has stacked up against its competition, and we haven't had any competition yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News