ADVERTISEMENT

Getting dark at 5pm

It’s the most ridiculous thing ever. If anything the time changes should be flipped. But really we just shouldn’t do it.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
It was made for kids who worked on a farm before going to school, out parents basically.

I hate it. It's a lot like unions, good for a moment in time but useless now.

I'd rather drive to work in the dark and have a few hours of daylight after work, than to drive in daylight and go home in the dark.

Cancel DLST and watch natural improvements with mental health, and subsequent obesity levels.

It was made for kids who worked on a farm before going to school, out parents basically.

I'd rather drive to work in the dark and have a few hours of daylight after work, than to drive in daylight and go home in the dark.

Cancel DLST and watch natural improvements with mental health, and subsequent obesity levels.
Exactly, it is outdated. Let's move on from it.

Nothing was more depressing than being an intern, getting up at 5-6 AMto round, then going home at 5-6PM.

Dark on the way in. Dark on the way home. Soul crushing.

I was honestly hoping you'd chime in on the health aspects, even anecdotally. Depression lays the ground work for so many more issues it seems. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I wonder how a national referendum would land on this? 80/20 to ditch it? What are we doing here?

CA voted to authorize legislature to get rid of it, but you have to go beg congress to switch to permanent DST (can switch to standard time without that but who wants that?) and Covid happened and I guess we got distracted.

Wrong it was created during ww1 to save fuel for the war effort. But back to the point it fvcking sucks and needs to be eliminated yesterday

Reactions: MUAlum2004
I wonder how a national referendum would land on this? 80/20 to ditch it? What are we doing here?

CA voted to authorize legislature to get rid of it, but you have to go beg congress to switch to permanent DST (can switch to standard time without that but who wants that?) and Covid happened and I guess we got distracted.
South Carolina passed legislation to get rid of it as well but is still waiting on the feds, shocker giant bureaucracy and all, to give them permission

Wrong it was created during ww1 to save fuel for the war effort. But back to the point it fvcking sucks and needs to be eliminated yesterday

To save fuel domestically? I don't get it, wouldn't we have used the same amount during the evening when it got darker and colder earlier? I honestly thought it was for kids to do chores before school. Not saying you're wrong, though.

South Carolina passed legislation to get rid of it as well but is still waiting on the feds, shocker giant bureaucracy and all, to give them permission

There are some states that don't observe it at all. AZ and IL maybe?

To save fuel domestically? I don't get it, wouldn't we have used the same amount during the evening when it got darker and colder earlier? I honestly thought it was for kids to do chores before school. Not saying you're wrong, though.

*Germany Popularized DST

However, the idea did not catch on globally until Germany introduced DST in 1916. Clocks in the German Empire, and its ally Austria, were turned ahead by one hour on April 30, 1916—two years into World War I. The rationale was to minimize the use of artificial lighting to save fuel for the war effort.

Within a few weeks, the United Kingdom, France, and many other countries followed the idea. Most of them reverted to standard time after World War I, and it wasn’t until the next World War that DST made its return in most of Europe.*

It's a gawdamn nazi invention? Does the squad know about this?

At the time we were using fuel for a lot of lighting. So any daylight hour someone slept through was “wasted” and was offset by a darkness hour they had to burn fuel to have light for.
Why we didn’t just start everything an hour earlier and leave the clocks alone is lost on me.

At the time we were using fuel for a lot of lighting. So any daylight hour someone slept through was “wasted” and was offset by a darkness hour they had to burn fuel to have light for.
Why we didn’t just start everything an hour earlier and leave the clocks alone is lost on me.

That's my point though. It gets dark at 5pm DSL, or 6pm non-DSL. No one is sleeping at 5pm DSL, they're awake and burning fuel for light and heat.

254276480_10222938423148085_1150500913393490237_n.jpg

Never will happen especially being that it is SC. Not now anyway.

Thanks for reminding me. Hell, I really forgot about it.

I don't care what they do. I'm just glad this time of year has much less daylight. I hate sunlight. I was out in it today, massive headache. Sun went down, headache gone.

Reactions: i am herdman
It’s 70 degrees this week. I need to tee off by noon to guarantee I get a round in by dark.

Yeah, the warm weather means a hell of a lot of traffic. Everybody must be rich. Shelling out these gas prices and driving 20 mph everywhere. Sometimes it reminds me of back home going up and down Route 60. I sure as hell hate Route 60.

In fairness, the problem with driving home from work in the dark is partly due to the outdated time change, but probably more a result of the fact that in the northern hemisphere the daylight is about two hours less in the winter than in the summer. More so the farther north we go. If you consume 10 hours of your day in pursuit of work…getting ready, transporting to and from, etc…you are going to be going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark whether we change time or not. Not that I don’t disagree that the notion of time change is outdated, but our soul crushing experience (Carl’s dead on with this) is more the fault of the earth’s tilt than anything. Throw in the cold and dreariness of winter to go with the diminished daylight and we’re unhappy with or without the time change.

So where exactly is the sun the least intense? Where is the place on earth with the least amount of daylight overall?

I know about Alaska, but there are certain times there where it never gets dark. I would die of exhaustion with that. Sunlight exhausts me. I have this Rain Man shit or whatever, and there are rays in the sun with a certain frequency that automatically put me in this mode of having to fight like a dog for nothing.

In fairness, the problem with driving home from work in the dark is partly due to the outdated time change, but probably more a result of the fact that in the northern hemisphere the daylight is about two hours less in the winter than in the summer. More so the farther north we go. If you consume 10 hours of your day in pursuit of work…getting ready, transporting to and from, etc…you are going to be going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark whether we change time or not. Not that I don’t disagree that the notion of time change is outdated, but our soul crushing experience (Carl’s dead on with this) is more the fault of the earth’s tilt than anything. Throw in the cold and dreariness of winter to go with the diminished daylight and we’re unhappy with or without the time change.

For example, I just looked for today and Raleigh, NC sunrise is 6:45AM and sunset is 5:13Pm

Huntington, WV is sunrise 7:04 AM and sunset 5:22pm

Raleigh is further south and further east than Huntington.

We really noticed it one year going to Ft Knox area of Kentucky during the summer. It was lighter more at the end of the day at Ft Knox as compared to Raleigh, but Raleigh is further south and east.

Sunrise earlier, because sunrise is in the east?

East and west should have nothing to do with the length of the day. North and South does. You are correct that the sun will rise earlier the farther east you are but that doesn’t change the length of the day. The length of the day is sunrise to sunset. In your example, the day’s length in Raleigh was 10 hours and 28 minutes. The length of the day in Huntington was 10 hours and 18 minutes. Huntington’s length of day is 10 minutes less than Raleigh’s. That’s because Huntington is farther north.

East and west should have nothing to do with the length of the day. North and South does. You are correct that the sun will rise earlier the farther east you are but that doesn’t change the length of the day. The length of the day is sunrise to sunset. In your example, the day’s length in Raleigh was 10 hours and 28 minutes. The length of the day in Huntington was 10 hours and 18 minutes. Huntington’s length of day is 10 minutes less than Raleigh’s. That’s because Huntington is farther north.
But, at different times of the day.

Also, not taking into account and having lived in both places, the sun shines far less in Huntington. There are far fewer sunnier days in Huntington and the sun and UV index is stronger in Raleigh.

But, at different times of the day.

Also, not taking into account and having lived in both places, the sun shines far less in Huntington. There are far fewer sunnier days in Huntington and the sun and UV index is stronger in Raleigh.
I’m not really following you. There might be fewer sunnier days in Raleigh, but that has to do with local climate. Clouds don’t affect the length of days. And like I said…east and west certainly affects sunrise…for example the sun rises in West Virginia far earlier than California. But that doesn’t affect the length of day…sunrise to sunset. That changes by moving north or south.

I’m not really following you. There might be fewer sunnier days in Raleigh, but that has to do with local climate. Clouds don’t affect the length of days. And like I said…east and west certainly affects sunrise…for example the sun rises in West Virginia far earlier than California. But that doesn’t affect the length of day…sunrise to sunset. That changes by moving north or south.
There are fewer sunnier days in Huntington as compared to Raleigh and yes that is local climate.

Raleigh gets daylight earlier but darker earlier. Overall a few minutes longer total for the day in Raleigh.

The closer you are to the eastern part of your time zone the earlier sunrise and sunset will happen, given the same latitude.

Reactions: GK4Herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT