ADVERTISEMENT

Golf pet peeve

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
I hate it when the group in front of me gets finished on 18 and they get back to the cart near the green and start bull shitting around, putting stuff back in their bag, adding up scores, bull shit some more, clean their clubs, and then decide to move on finally. Move out of the damn way please , we are back here ready to go. Move on or somebody is going to get drilled.

Yep, move on.
I hold onto my putter until I get to the next tee on every hole that golfers are on the fairway waiting.

Reactions: GK4Herd
I get the impression that golfers who do this are the same people that slow walk three and four wide at the mall, don’t move over to the outside lane when you’re getting on the interstate on an entrance ramp, and waits for the groceries to be rung completely up before they begin the process of taking out their checkbooks/wallets at Walmart. Basically people who are oblivious that they share the planet with 7 1/2 billion other people.

Just tee up and drive, and quit acting like a sissy. They can find a different golf course if they do not like it because this is America.

I have a five second rule. If carts in front of me aren't moving within five seconds of both players being back in the cart, then I'm hitting, and it doesn't matter if it's a group hitting their 2nd shots onto #3, or adding up their cards on #18. In fact, they probably don't even get five seconds that deep into the round, because I'm usually on #12 by the time I'm about to hit into #18 green.

Edit to include: I may give a little leeway if the group in front of me is a bunch of 6' 5", 240 lb. colored guys.

golf course pet peeve? when the damned beer cart only comes around once every four or five holes. i'm a lot better at drinking beer than golf.

I have a five second rule. If carts in front of me aren't moving within five seconds of both players being back in the cart, then I'm hitting, and it doesn't matter if it's a group hitting their 2nd shots onto #3, or adding up their cards on #18. In fact, they probably don't even get five seconds that deep into the round, because I'm usually on #12 by the time I'm about to hit into #18 green.

Edit to include: I may give a little leeway if the group in front of me is a bunch of 6' 5", 240 lb. colored guys.

I imagine white guys would take you out too.

Reactions: mlblack16.
I imagine white guys would take you out too.
skin tone doesn't have anything to do with what I posted. just embracing the BLM movement, so it wouldn't be right to launch some errant balls towards some colored guys. plus, it's been a while since I've seen any black people over at my golf course.

I hate it when the group in front of me gets finished on 18 and they get back to the cart near the green and start bull shitting around, putting stuff back in their bag, adding up scores, bull shit some more, clean their clubs, and then decide to move on finally. Move out of the damn way please , we are back here ready to go. Move on or somebody is going to get drilled.

I launch the ball, fvck em if they don’t move. Once they’re off the 18 green I’m firing away

I played Esquire yesterday (Sleepy is closed on Mondays) and my buddy and I started out in public course hell. The first tee had around 10-12 middle school aged kids standing on the tee box getting ready to go off. So we asked if we could go off on the back nine. There was one foursome on the 10th tee and it was open for several holes behind them. The problem was the group on 10 were four 20 somethings that were the epitome of public course nightmares. They rolled it, re-teed, sliced it, laughed, had conversation between each tee off, and took almost 10 minutes to get off the tee box. Once in the fairway it looked literally like something you would see in a Benny Hill skit. The carts would drive to a ball about halfway up the fairway then turn around and come back toward the tee box for a ball nearly 100 yards behind the one that was just hit.

So my partner and I took off for the 11th tee box and started on that hole. By the time we were on 12 and teed off, we looked back and this group was still on the number 10 green. Now I'm all for everyone playing. There are different levels of golfers and that's okay. I am very capable of rolling a ball off the tee box and I'm not that good. But you don't have to be good to play the game properly and move quickly. This is a double edged sword for public courses. Play is way down from what it was in the 80s and 90s. So golf needs all the new players it can get. But these new players are what are keeping people from wanting to play. They have never been taught etiquette.

Our little maneuver allowed us to finish in about three and a half hours. So we lucked out. If the course was crowded this would have been a 5+ hour round. Maybe there should be some kind of certification that new players need to complete prior to being allowed on the course. But getting behind groups like this are part of the reason people no longer want to play golf.

I played Esquire yesterday (Sleepy is closed on Mondays) and my buddy and I started out in public course hell. The first tee had around 10-12 middle school aged kids standing on the tee box getting ready to go off. So we asked if we could go off on the back nine. There was one foursome on the 10th tee and it was open for several holes behind them. The problem was the group on 10 were four 20 somethings that were the epitome of public course nightmares. They rolled it, re-teed, sliced it, laughed, had conversation between each tee off, and took almost 10 minutes to get off the tee box. Once in the fairway it looked literally like something you would see in a Benny Hill skit. The carts would drive to a ball about halfway up the fairway then turn around and come back toward the tee box for a ball nearly 100 yards behind the one that was just hit.

So my partner and I took off for the 11th tee box and started on that hole. By the time we were on 12 and teed off, we looked back and this group was still on the number 10 green. Now I'm all for everyone playing. There are different levels of golfers and that's okay. I am very capable of rolling a ball off the tee box and I'm not that good. But you don't have to be good to play the game properly and move quickly. This is a double edged sword for public courses. Play is way down from what it was in the 80s and 90s. So golf needs all the new players it can get. But these new players are what are keeping people from wanting to play. They have never been taught etiquette.

Our little maneuver allowed us to finish in about three and a half hours. So we lucked out. If the course was crowded this would have been a 5+ hour round. Maybe there should be some kind of certification that new players need to complete prior to being allowed on the course. But getting behind groups like this are part of the reason people no longer want to play golf.

It has been good for golf this year as it is one of the activities people can do. But, what you went through is one of the issues. I don't care if somebody is good at golf or not. You can be bad and still play at a good pace and have some course manners. 5 hour plus rounds are no good for anybody.

The courses need to monitor that stuff and move people on. But, I think they are afraid of running people off and they want the $$$.

My list of pet peeves...

1. If you're riding with a partner, don't wait until your partner has completed his shot before you prepare for yours. If the balls are close, both partners need to be out of the cart and in their pre-shot routine. I can't tell you how many times I've watched one guy going through his routine while the other sits in the cart. After the shot and the club is put back in the bag, the cart drives to his cart mates ball 10...stinking...yards...away. Now you have to watch another guy go through his entire routine. Both golfers get out of the cart and get to your ball. Even if you are far apart, let your partner select his club and you take the cart to your ball and return to pick him up when you've hit.

2. I'm all for playing by the rules and counting every stroke. But if you are terrible, for the love of sanity, please take distance and a stroke on OB. It isn't by the book I know, but these guys aren't playing by the book anyway.

3. Like Duke mentioned, don't wait on your cart by the green adding your score. Look in the rear view mirror once in a while. There's as much world behind you as in front of you. Be aware.

4. For the love of sanity, please repair your ball marks. I literally repair two or three every time I get on a green. Un-repaired ball marks are why munis have greens in such disrepair. Some of the ball marks are literally within feet of the hole so no way they were forgotten or unseen. And please lift your feet on the green when you walk.

5. There's a million more.

I played behind 4 Karen’s when I was a member of Foxfire in pinehurst a few years back, I was a single. For the first two holes I was standing on the tips while they teed off from the reds. On the second par 5 I launched a low cut that was a good 60 feet off the ground but loud and hard enough for them to hear the air on the ball. Of course they berated me, told me how dangerous it was, I should respect my elders, blah blah blah. They found the ranger and he chased me down and questioned me on it. Once I told him the full story he was good. I have found that playing behind women is the longest day of golf a man can have.

I have found that playing behind women is the longest day of golf a man can have.
not me, because I won't do it. I usually play with only one other person, unless it's league or a tournament, so I either attempt to go off another hole, or I simply don't play. Bitches won't let you play through either. At the place we play, most women know better than to get out there like that, plus they don't really like hearing all the bullshit in the clubhouse bar either. You just have to have all the guys follow the same rule, and that's be as obnoxious as you can be, in hopes of running them off. Just make their experience there as miserable as possible, and hopefully they won't want to come back. Golf course should be one of the men's sanctuaries, just like nudie bars. Women should stay home and clean house during a man's Saturday golf game.

My list of pet peeves...

1. If you're riding with a partner, don't wait until your partner has completed his shot before you prepare for yours. If the balls are close, both partners need to be out of the cart and in their pre-shot routine. I can't tell you how many times I've watched one guy going through his routine while the other sits in the cart. After the shot and the club is put back in the bag, the cart drives to his cart mates ball 10...stinking...yards...away. Now you have to watch another guy go through his entire routine. Both golfers get out of the cart and get to your ball. Even if you are far apart, let your partner select his club and you take the cart to your ball and return to pick him up when you've hit.

2. I'm all for playing by the rules and counting every stroke. But if you are terrible, for the love of sanity, please take distance and a stroke on OB. It isn't by the book I know, but these guys aren't playing by the book anyway.

3. Like Duke mentioned, don't wait on your cart by the green adding your score. Look in the rear view mirror once in a while. There's as much world behind you as in front of you. Be aware.

4. For the love of sanity, please repair your ball marks. I literally repair two or three every time I get on a green. Un-repaired ball marks are why munis have greens in such disrepair. Some of the ball marks are literally within feet of the hole so no way they were forgotten or unseen. And please lift your feet on the green when you walk.

5. There's a million more.
i so much want to comment but there's no way i can type what i want to on this board . . .

you think you don't like me now, play behind me once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT