ADVERTISEMENT

Great Game - No Defense

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
In overtime the Herd defeats Toledo 111 to 105. As Dan says best defense - outscore your opponent!

Hard to play any defense when refs are calling fouls like they did tonight. Touch no harm plays were being called all night. Players had to back away.

I haven't griped about officiating this year, but it was awful tonight.

I haven't griped about officiating this year, but it was awful tonight.

A comment generally reserved for when a team loses a game , blame the officials.

Have to agree with the OP , its a win , forget style points and good lord forget griping about the officials ( very poor habit of too many Marshall fans in general) , not singling you out Random but it is an excuse used on this site more than any others I visit ,always something about the officials regardless of the sport.

Reactions: GreenDuke
I guess if we win 50-48 in OT the complaint would be we have no offense and will never win.

I don't care if we win last night every game I just want to win.

Why is a WVU fan on here worried about us? I didn't think they cared about little ole Marshall?

Reactions: ohio herd
Usually teams do not score 111-108 points and blame the officiating! C'mon now.
I rarely post & do not criticize very often. My comment was more in response to your comment that Dan simply wants to outscore others. We have played better defense with the exception of Ohio State and possibly this game. However, the officiating was not good and players were frustrated, often asking for clarfication.
We will get better when CJ returns and Thompson is able to play. Folks will score a lot of points because of our style, not so much because we are terrible at defense. We do need to improve, but that not why I posted my comment.

Reactions: Galloway27
Well, we'll see what role the refs play in next Saturday's game at Akron. The Zips lost a fairly close game at powerful Gonzaga on Saturday. Zags coach said he wanted a strong test for his team and got it from the Zips, who are one of only 5 teams who have won 21 games or more for last 11 years. Their coach was Lebron's HS coach in Akron. Our D and rebounding will have to be a lot better if we expect to win in Akron next Sat. nite, IMO!!

Herd 72 - that is "hand checking" , rule was changed last season. Not a fan of it by any means however its the rule at this time.

Then Herd1972 (BTW I graduated MU in 1972) exactly what is the purpose of your post?
I disagree with your implication that Dan is not pushing the team to play defense!
Herd 72 - that is "hand checking" , rule was changed last season. Not a fan of it by any means however its the rule at this time.

I am aware of the change and admit that those were some of the calls that were frustrating. There were many other calls that were just as frustrating.

Our fan base's lack of basketball IQ is disturbing. If you can't be happy and excited for DD and the future of this program right now, you NEVER will be. Maybe you guys should get court side tickets and continually yell "play defense! Play defense!"...I'm sure the coaches haven't thought about that...

Our fan base's lack of basketball IQ is disturbing. If you can't be happy and excited for DD and the future of this program right now, you NEVER will be. Maybe you guys should get court side tickets and continually yell "play defense! Play defense!"...I'm sure the coaches haven't thought about that...
Oh I don't know. It seems to work for Huggy and Paypal Cal.

Oh I don't know. It seems to work for Huggy and Paypal Cal.

By all means, go pick yourself up a Kentucky hat and sign up for the Huggins fan club. We aren't talking about them. Comparing Kentucky basketball to Marshall tells me all I need to know about you.

If you don't understand Dantoni style, and system maybe you should just stop talking.

By all means, go pick yourself up a Kentucky hat and sign up for the Huggins fan club. We aren't talking about them. Comparing Kentucky basketball to Marshall tells me all I need to know about you.

If you don't understand Dantoni style, and system maybe you should just stop talking.
I understand what Danny is trying to do. Run and gun is fine, but you do play some defense. I remember a line from "Coach Carter." "Our defense sets up our offense."

I will be encouaged when he simply makes the big tourney at the end of the year. Herd fans dont seem to understand the kind of players you have to have. My trips to rupp arena allow me to see what it takes. Herd needs 1 or 2 big time players.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan

i do understand it and and running and gunning while being one of the worst defensive teams in the country makes it impoosible to go to march madness. No program in america has missed the big dance as long as we have.

Kentucky and marshall have the same goal----make it to march madness. You cant compare the two programs because the herd has no ambition to be great

Tell it like it is Sister because you are absolutely right. It is posters like thunderingon who do not realize that we won't get to the dance - big or otherwise simply by scoring over 100 points while holding opponents to 100 or more. Just my opinion.

been watching the herd since 72 and u have 26 messages so u must be the thin skinned pussy I ahave been hearing about. The herd has not mattered since 72,,if they have tell me when

Green kool aid drinking basketball fans who truly believe Dan D'antoni and the WV All Star team will lead us to basketball respectability! Well I honestly hope that he can. Only time will truly tell. My question is why doesn't he turn the recruiting over to Chris Duhon? National championship ring and NBA pedigree and current kids know him YET Dan has Cline - unknown outside of southern WV, in today's high school recruiting circles. Simply do not understand DDs recruiting philosophy.

Green kool aid drinking basketball fans who truly believe Dan D'antoni and the WV All Star team will lead us to basketball respectability! Well I honestly hope that he can. Only time will truly tell. My question is why doesn't he turn the recruiting over to Chris Duhon? National championship ring and NBA pedigree and current kids know him YET Dan has Cline - unknown outside of southern WV, in today's high school recruiting circles. Simply do not understand DDs recruiting philosophy.
From Chuck's article in the HD on 12/13/16

"Welcome to "Second Guess" Tuesday.

Here is the opinions du jour.

> It is time to renew Danny D'Antoni's contract.

Actually, it's past due.

D'Antoni was hired as Marshall's head basketball coach on April 25, 2014, and was given a four-year contract.

That means he is in the third year of his pact. For continuity and - even more important - recruiting purposes, D'Antoni's contract needs to be renewed as soon as possible.

It should have been done last summer.

Just look at the recruits that have committed to Marshall already. The 2017 class includes 6-10, 300-pound center Iran Bennett, Hargrave Military School; 5-foot-11 point guard Jarrod West, Clarksburg, W.Va.; 6-7 forward Darius George, Staunton, Va.; 6-8, 240-pound post player Tanner Robinette, Hargrave; and 6-5 junior Jeremy Dillon, who might be the best football and basketball player in the state at Mingo Central High School.

That's a lot of talent and those players need reassuring that they will be playing for D'Antoni and his staff. The obvious way to accomplish that is by renewing D'Antoni's contract.

Besides the recruiting aspect, look at the progress Marshall's basketball program has made under D'Antoni.

During his first season in 2014-15, the Herd went 11-21 overall, 7-11 in Conference USA and 10-7 at home.

In D'Antoni's second season, Marshall showed marked improvement going 17-16 overall, 12-6 in C-USA, 10-4 at home and advancing to the C-USA Tournament semifinals as the No. 3 seed.

Now, the Herd is 6-3, including 6-0 at home, heading into a game at Akron at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.

So, in the last two seasons Marshall has a 23-19 overall record, including 16-4 at home, and has recruited a bevy of talent.

What's not to like?

More to the point, what's not to renew?

After all, Marshall is getting quite a bargain in the first place. D'Antoni's base salary is $200,000. He also receives $70,000 for television and radio in addition to $30,000 for fund-raising appearances for the Big Green Scholarship Foundation.

D'Antoni reportedly hasn't gotten a raise since he was hired and his $300,000 contract ranks next-to-last among Conference USA head basketball coaches, according to published information.

His contract needs to be renewed immediately.

If not sooner."

After his NBA stint and SC Teachers Retirement pension - he needs a raise like we need a 100k seat football stadium.

Not like he is going anywhere , and if he runs short , call Mike with the millions he has made over the years Im sure he would be able to send DD a stipend if needed ...lol

been watching the herd since 72 and u have 26 messages so u must be the thin skinned pussy I ahave been hearing about. The herd has not mattered since 72,,if they have tell me when

Idk I'd say they mattered in 87 the last year they went to the NCAA Tourney. But, the fact that we haven't mattered in so long is why I have no issue with seeing what DD can do with his system and his "WV All-Star" team. We've had plenty of teams loaded up with kids from out of state without a single scholarshiped WVian. They didn't end the tourney drought either.

Reactions: Herd1972
Come on im talking about dan and his wv recruits and yes we went in 87 through the southern conference tourney and didnt beat anybody then got beat in the first game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT