ADVERTISEMENT

Great Statement From Harris Tactical Regarding Transgender Issue

Going officer is a whole different ball game. They are going to look into everything in your background and I mean everything and you can have no slip ups. I don't know exactly how the Air Force works in terms of officers but in the Army there are only a few ways to become an officer. Military Academy(West Point), Military Senior College(Citadel, VMI, Texas AM, Virginia Tech) 5 designated Military Junior Colleges who have commissioning programs, Army ROTC at a 4 year college, or Officer Candidate School. For OCS you are chosen through the enlisted ranks after you reach E5(SGT)) or above and you must be damn near perfect to be chosen. No matter what way you go now, becoming an office is very very competitive now. When I say they look at everything, I mean everything. Moving violations, credit, criminal history, medical history, where you born, etc.

I almost hopped on an opportunity to become an officer by way of attending West Point Prep in Ft. Monmouth, New Jersey. After a certain time frame you would then take the entrance exam into West Point. One of our company LT's went that route. I opted to just finish out my enlistment at that time.

My other opportunity came when I graduated Marshall with my BS. I had to do a year long post-graduate internship during which I couldn't work. I looked into joining US Army Healthcare Reserves. In this section of the Reserves, I was going to be an EVO (Environmental Science Officer). You do a 3 year commitment to Army Reserve - Healthcare. You only have to attend an officer training school for 2 weeks and even that only has to happen by year 2 of your commitment! I ended up not going that route either, but it was definitely tempting.

My medical history is pretty clear, I have a few traffic tickets, credit is pretty decent for my generation, 1 arrest but the charges was dropped because of a cops stupidity, and I was born in Chicago. Pretty good so far.

I would suggest you look at the standards for whichever branch you want to enter. Height and weight standards, as well as making sure you can PT. The Army is really big on that, especially in its leaders. You being able to max the APFT would bode well early on.

My medical history is pretty clear, I have a few traffic tickets, credit is pretty decent for my generation, 1 arrest but the charges was dropped because of a cops stupidity, and I was born in Chicago. Pretty good so far.
lie detector test, will ask you about living with your mom, sitting in your car smoking weed. you're so fukt it's funny.

Fever, your tats might be the thing that holds you back more than any other requirement. A few years ago the military got super strict about entrance qualifications because of downsizing and the fact we took in just about anyone between '05 and '10. You can look up the AF requirements and disqualifications online. Also google "SF 86", that's the questionnaire for a security clearance. Just browse it and if any "oh shits" pop up you can fix it before you even apply.

As for AF life, it's just better than the other branches. The younger kids who live in barracks have a full kitchen, bigger, nicer rooms, and still get a partial housing allowance because the AF looks at their own barracks as sub-standard. When the AF travels they are only allowed to stay in certain hotels that meet their standards, Army guys will be stacked 4 deep in a Motel 6 and only one of them will get travel pay to cover the room cost. AF can't deploy to austere environments unless their tents have A/C, and tent life is just temporary housing for them anyway. In that environment they'll get showers everyday. In the Army showers are every 3 days for males, every 2 days for females.

Also, and most importantly, AF chicks are the hottest. They aren't hot for a military chick, they are real world hot. Big f'n difference.

Israel is known for having some smoking hot soldiers.

maria-domark-capa.jpg

Fever, too skinny for you?

Fever, your tats might be the thing that holds you back more than any other requirement. A few years ago the military got super strict about entrance qualifications because of downsizing and the fact we took in just about anyone between '05 and '10. You can look up the AF requirements and disqualifications online. Also google "SF 86", that's the questionnaire for a security clearance. Just browse it and if any "oh shits" pop up you can fix it before you even apply.

As for AF life, it's just better than the other branches. The younger kids who live in barracks have a full kitchen, bigger, nicer rooms, and still get a partial housing allowance because the AF looks at their own barracks as sub-standard. When the AF travels they are only allowed to stay in certain hotels that meet their standards, Army guys will be stacked 4 deep in a Motel 6 and only one of them will get travel pay to cover the room cost. AF can't deploy to austere environments unless their tents have A/C, and tent life is just temporary housing for them anyway. In that environment they'll get showers everyday. In the Army showers are every 3 days for males, every 2 days for females.

Also, and most importantly, AF chicks are the hottest. They aren't hot for a military chick, they are real world hot. Big f'n difference.
I think they have lightened back up on the tats. Nothing below the elbow, neck or face now.

My son just went officer. He had to report any moving violation(i.e. speeding tickets) over $250 and still does. Personal credit is a big issue as well.

They checked references at his high school, neighbors he grew up around, etc.

Not a real easy process. The best thing is to be honest with them and don't get caught up in trying to hide something or give two different answers. He knew a kid that went through two years of shit and was near the end and getting his commission. The Army dug a little deeper and found out the kids parents(or at least one of them) had been born in another country and he didn't tell them that on the forms. They yanked his clearance and he lost his commission.

Oh and you never ever smoked dope. Not even tried it. Always NO to dope smoking.

Everybody gives officers shit, but as mentioned the PT scores are huge for them. They want you doing better than the men you lead. They have high standards in terms of the way they carry themselves and act.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herd Fever
I think they have lightened back up on the tats. Nothing below the elbow, neck or face now.

My son just went officer. He had to report any moving violation(i.e. speeding tickets) over $250 and still does. Personal credit is a big issue as well.

They checked references at his high school, neighbors he grew up around, etc.

Not a real easy process. The best thing is to be honest with them and don't get caught up in trying to hide something or give two different answers. He knew a kid that went through two years of shit and was near the end and getting his commission. The Army dug a little deeper and found out the kids parents(or at least one of them) had been born in another country and he didn't tell them that on the forms. They yanked his clearance and he lost his commission.

Oh and you never ever smoked dope. Not even tried it. Always NO to dope smoking.

Everybody gives officers shit, but as mentioned the PT scores are huge for them. They want you doing better than the men you lead. They have high standards in terms of the way they carry themselves and act.

Yep, all true. Always tell the nasty truth about everything because having a past is better than being a liar. Except for drugs, lie your F'n ass off about any drug use. LOL

Thanks for the Advice.

I do have to lose some weight in order to meet the Height/Weight requirements. That process has already started. As far as PT goes, the great thing about San Diego, there is a ton of Military style gyms to train in.

The tattoo thing is a concern as I do have tattoos under my elbows. But the recruiter I spoke with had a full sleeve also.

Not my question is this, would it better to just enlist or go the officer route?

What were the cop's actions that caused the charges to be dropped?

Charged me with Possession even though there was no weed found in the car. The car smelled of weed. Once the court proceedings went to Discovery and there was no evidence submitted by the State. The Judge throw the case out and apologized for wasting my time.

Thanks for the Advice.

I do have to lose some weight in order to meet the Height/Weight requirements. That process has already started. As far as PT goes, the great thing about San Diego, there is a ton of Military style gyms to train in.

The tattoo thing is a concern as I do have tattoos under my elbows. But the recruiter I spoke with had a full sleeve also.

Not my question is this, would it better to just enlist or go the officer route?

Officer since you already have your degree. But, the positions are fewer so you'll be at the needs of the military. You may not get the job you really want. You could enlist, go through initial training and then apply for OCS or direct commission, feel it out and make a more informed decision of where you want your career to lead. Choose a career path that doesn't bottle neck, one with the quickest promotion rates.

The tats restrictions have been in flux the last couple years. People were kicked out for exposed tats after a rule change, then it changed again and some were grandfathered and allowed to stay. A new hire coming off the street may be subject to stricter standards than current service members. But that should be easy to find.

@Herd Fever look at the payscale. There is a HUGE difference in pay between officers and enlisted. Last I looked, an E-9 with 20 years (able to retire and possibly a Command Sergeant Major) made what an O-3 (Captain) with 3-4 years of service.

@Herd Fever look at the payscale. There is a HUGE difference in pay between officers and enlisted. Last I looked, an E-9 with 20 years (able to retire and possibly a Command Sergeant Major) made what an O-3 (Captain) with 3-4 years of service.

Good to know. God willing I am able to do this, in staying till retirement.

It depends. More "jobs" for enlisted and safer career path. More money for officers but you served at the need of the military. More shit jobs at the lower enlisted ranks. Lots of politics and pressure for officers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT