ADVERTISEMENT

Green vs Thomson

On another note it looks like the offensive line came to play yesterday, something not seen since the Miami game, so I give them as much credit in offensive success as I do any other position.

What? Do you mean pass blocking-wise? We ran over, under, around, and through MTSU last week.

What? Do you mean pass blocking-wise? We ran over, under, around, and through MTSU last week.
Yes, I was referring to pass blocking. MTSU loaded the box in the second half when they realized we couldn't pass block to throw, ODU couldn't do that. It all starts in the trenches.

We ran the ball like that against MTSU. That passing game has got to open up.

If we're being honest with ourselves their depth played a part with the score. They closed it to within one score with around 5 to go. Then King burnt them. They lost last weeks game in the 3xact same fashion.
They closed to one score because our defense let up or played more conservative with the lead than they should have at that point of the game. Luckily, we made some plays to put the game away and a 22-pt win on the road even against a bad team is pretty good. We should be very competitive in our remaining games this season if Thomson continues to improve each week as he knocks the rust off and get up to the speed of the game.

Reactions: lexkyherdfan
There are his stats:
18/29 182
Ave 6.3.
1 TD
1 Int
59.4 QB Rating

This is out of a QB who has 2 years under his belt at BCS.
The Sky is the Ceiling? Funny to hear people say that he needs more time. He has been a Starting QB for two years. He has had enough time. More then enough time to have a higher then 59 QB rating against a team in ESPN Bottom 10.
In all fairness, his receivers dropped 6 passes that hit them in the hands on catchable balls. I'm not saying he is an NFL QB, but he certainly has some talent.

I believe AT is the most accurate passer for short to intermediate passes! He’s thrown thrue some pretty tight windows! ( hopefully they won’t turn into interseptions down the road)AT’s also running the ball just enough!

IG has a Great long ball!! I believe IG has the IT factor when playing in the clutch!!

Who ever our QB will be, AT or IG, either way we’ll be ok!!

Go Herd

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Without getting into the Green vs Thomson debate, has anyone considered the possibility that even if the coaches think Green still has the edge and could possibly play again this season, that he won't just so he could get a medical redshirt? I don't know all the rules for a medical redshirt, but I think it would be possible if he doesn't play the rest of this year? Am I right about that?

Without getting into the Green vs Thomson debate, has anyone considered the possibility that even if the coaches think Green still has the edge and could possibly play again this season, that he won't just so he could get a medical redshirt? I don't know all the rules for a medical redshirt, but I think it would be possible if he doesn't play the rest of this year? Am I right about that?
Green would have to miss another year due to injury to qualify for a medical red-shirt.

In all fairness, his receivers dropped 6 passes that hit them in the hands on catchable balls. I'm not saying he is an NFL QB, but he certainly has some talent.

Against MTSU
17/34
Ave 5.1
TD's 2
Int. 1
QB Rating 27.1

Did he have alot of drops there too? Ave of 32.3 QB Rating.

Against Greens 71.6, 71.3, 21.7 against NC State

Green would have to miss another year due to injury to qualify for a medical red-shirt.

I'm assuming that's because he played in too many games this year? What is the limit ...3 games and he played 4? If not that, what is the reason so next time I open my mouth about something like this, I might come off a little more educated ... probably not, but it's worth a shot!

Probably should hold off on any bold assumptions based on the result of that game - we gained over 500 yards from scrimmage against ODU's defense, and their season average improved.

Its like the debate earlier in this thread about whether Thomson was throwing near-picks or "threading the needle" - I've played a lot of Madden in my life, and let me tell you: those DBs were set on Rookie.

Another point to consider, Thomson has started 2 games and has thrown for less than 200 in both games.. That's anemic. Green on the other hand has started 4 games and has thrown for over 200 in all 4 of them. In fact Green has not thrown for less than 270 yard in any game. I think Thomson needs to step up his play.

Another point to consider, Thomson has started 2 games and has thrown for less than 200 in both games.. That's anemic. Green on the other hand has started 4 games and has thrown for over 200 in all 4 of them. In fact Green has not thrown for less than 270 yard in any game. I think Thomson needs to step up his play.

If you’re only going to look at per game stats, the offense is averaging 58 yards and 6.2 points more per game under Thomson’s guidance.

If you’re only going to look at per game stats, the offense is averaging 58 yards and 6.2 points more per game under Thomson’s guidance.

Yep, and as was said in the thread somewhere, if Green could have that type of run game with his downfield throwing ability, the play action game could be devastating. Also, with the threat of that deep ball the safeties are going to be even less effective in run support which just makes the new found rushing attack that much better. I watched Dunk's highlight video and only saw two completions where the ball traveled more than 15 yards downfield in the air against ODU.

ODU was, and likely will remain, the worst pass defense, heck, defense period, that we will face.

Not to mention Thomson has extensive experience playing in college, albeit at the FCS level. That’s still very valuable.

Hope the dude continues to improve. We’ll need his best game coming up Saturday.

Long story short, having both available in 2019 and Green two years beyond that, is great for our program.

Yep, and as was said in the thread somewhere, if Green could have that type of run game with his downfield throwing ability, the play action game could be devastating. Also, with the threat of that deep ball the safeties are going to be even less effective in run support which just makes the new found rushing attack that much better. I watched Dunk's highlight video and only saw two completions where the ball traveled more than 15 yards downfield in the air against ODU.

ODU was, and likely will remain, the worst pass defense, heck, defense period, that we will face.

Maybe, maybe not. If is a big word there. Green may not have thrown as much either. Green has missed a lot of wide open receivers this year when he was playing. Had we had better rushing attack, I doubt Green would have thrown as much. We can turn statistics around to make either look fine. The one thing I noticed as a whole last week against ODU was we were hitting on all cylinders on offense. There were play calls to set up future calls that worked. Even on I believe it was 3rd and 8 or so we ran the ball knowing we were going for it on 4th down. We got in position to make 4th down manageable and it worked as we converted on 4th down.

AT ran the ball well and that was something I remember being talked about when he signed with us. He would be a rusher. Not the fastest but good with the keepers. His rushing last week helped the running backs as well. AT will look even better this week. Green needs to sit until he is 100% as there is no need for him to get hurt worse. When he is ready...I would like to see both utilized in some ways.

While we're digging into the stats, let me throw out another thing that influences the run/pass numbers. RPOs under Green were predominately pass (at least 90%). Thomson reads RPOs at about 50/50. That difference has a direct impact on the number of runs vs passes, and the success of each given the proper read. I think it's been the biggest reason our run game has been better under Thomson. The one area Green definitely exceeds Thomson: the deep ball. No one throws a deep ball like Green. It's uncanny how good he is at it.

While we're digging into the stats, let me throw out another thing that influences the run/pass numbers. RPOs under Green we predominately pass (at least 90%). Thomson reads RPOs at about 50/50. That difference has a direct impact on the number of runs vs passes, and the success of each given the proper read. I think it's been the biggest reason our run game has been better under Thomson.
Thank you.

Reactions: munotwvu342
Considering Green has never set foot in a college game until this fall and has only played in 4. Thomson has a huge edge in experience, that is invaluable. Thus, he should be performing at a higher level between the two.

While we're digging into the stats, let me throw out another thing that influences the run/pass numbers. RPOs under Green were predominately pass (at least 90%). Thomson reads RPOs at about 50/50. That difference has a direct impact on the number of runs vs passes, and the success of each given the proper read. I think it's been the biggest reason our run game has been better under Thomson. The one area Green definitely exceeds Thomson: the deep ball. No one throws a deep ball like Green. It's uncanny how good he is at it.

Thomson is only averaging about 3.5 less passes per game than Green was.

Not really a fair comparison, green didn't have a run game to help him, Thomson now does. That alone makes this comparison unfair to green. The other side of the coin, is the run game due to Thomson's decisions at the line that green may have missed? If so Thomson manages better, but that is am unknown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT